Tongues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is this speaking in tongues I've been reading about, is it a language that could be understood by any Christian?

I'm eager to learn about this, may God protect me and keep me from evil.

Paul wrote that there are DIVERSITIES of tongues, meaning more than just one.

1Co 12:10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.

There’s a tongue found in Acts 1 that’s understood by everyone in their own language, needing no interpreting.

There’s an unknown tongue that’s never understood by any man, because it’s the Holy Spirit speaking mysteries unto God.

1Co 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him;howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

There’s an unknown tongue spoken to the congregation in church, that is a message from God that needs interpreted by someone, that Paul calls prophecy.

1Co 14:27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it beby two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

There’s an unknown tongue that isn’t interpreted, that is the Holy Spirit praying for the person speaking in tongues, for things they know not how to pray for.

Rom 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

And Jesus prayed in that kind of tongue:

Joh 11:33 When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled,

Maranatha

Last edited:

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
Are they for everybody?

True tongues will not be spoken again until the below verses comes to pass ,anything before than is just gibberish !

Mark 13:9 "But take heed to yourselves: for they shall deliver you up to councils; and in the synagogues ye shall be beaten: and ye shall be brought before rulers and kings for My sake,, for a testimony against them."

Mark 13:9 "But take heed to yourselves: for they shall deliver you up to councils; and in the synagogues ye shall be beaten: and ye shall be brought before rulers and kings for My sake, for a testimony against them."

Mark 13:10 "And the gospel must first be published among all nations."

This is not happening today, but at a time in the near future when trial are going forth, and the elect is being singled out, and then the Holy Spirit of God will be speaking through His elect and fingering Satan out to be the false messiah.

Mark 13:11 "But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost [Spirit]."

When this time comes into being in the very near future, it will not be the elect of God that does the speaking, but the Holy Spirit speaking in and through the mouths of His elect. Every one of these individuals will be delivered before these false councils before the final day of this earth age. This is why Peter would say to the people in Acts 2, on Pentecost day; "This is that which was spoken of by Joel the Prophet."

Acts 2:16: "But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;"

We can read this prophecy in Joel 2:28-32. These sons and daughters shall speak in a cloven tongue, as recorded in Acts 2:6; meaning that the language that they shall speak in will need no interpreter, for every one that hears will hear in their native tongue of the dialect of the neighborhood they grew up in. This is the way that the gospel will go forth in the last days, for it is the evidence of the presence of the Holy Spirit. These sons and daughters will speak, as stated in Mark 13:11, but whatsoever words they do speak in that hour, it will be the Holy Spirit that speaks through them.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yet I’m quoting Paul.

Hmmmm.....

Did Paul know he is arrogant?
Paul is not here... LOL I quoted you... I have no problem with those who speak in tongues... I have articulated that I believe it is indeed a gift as per the scriptures. It is not a gift that all Christians desire ( including myself )... I have never just FELT this burning need to pray in tongues... but I have felt the need for wisdom and mercy.
The problem I have is with attitudes like what you and New Music are promoting.... When you throw your requirement onto EVERY believer it becomes a judgement thing.... and it taints the entire aspect of this gift.

Reactions: BloodBought 1953

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True tongues will not be spoken again until the below verses comes to pass ,anything before than is just gibberish !

Mark 13:9 "But take heed to yourselves: for they shall deliver you up to councils; and in the synagogues ye shall be beaten: and ye shall be brought before rulers and kings for My sake,, for a testimony against them."

Mark 13:9 "But take heed to yourselves: for they shall deliver you up to councils; and in the synagogues ye shall be beaten: and ye shall be brought before rulers and kings for My sake, for a testimony against them."

This is not happening today, but at a time in the near future when trial are going forth, and the elect is being singled out, and then the Holy Spirit of God will be speaking through His elect and fingering Satan out to be the false messiah.

Mark 13:11 "But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost [Spirit]."

When this time comes into being in the very near future, it will not be the elect of God that does the speaking, but the Holy Spirit speaking in and through the mouths of His elect. Every one of these individuals will be delivered before these false councils before the final day of this earth age. This is why Peter would say to the people in Acts 2, on Pentecost day; "This is that which was spoken of by Joel the Prophet."

We can read this prophecy in Joel 2:28-32. These sons and daughters shall speak in a cloven tongue, as recorded in Acts 2:6; meaning that the language that they shall speak in will need no interpreter, for every one that hears will hear in their native tongue of the dialect of the neighborhood they grew up in. This is the way that the gospel will go forth in the last days, for it is the evidence of the presence of the Holy Spirit. These sons and daughters will speak, as stated in Mark 13:11, but whatsoever words they do speak in that hour, it will be the Holy Spirit that speaks through them.

That’s absolutely wrong.

Jesus said all who believe shall have signs following them of speaking in tongues, in Mark 16.

And here’s your gibberish:

1Co 14:1 Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy.

1Co 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

1Co 14:3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.

1Co 14:4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.

1Co 14:5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.

Mark 13 is about the Holy Spirit but not about tongues.

Reactions: Pathfinder7

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul is not here... LOL I quoted you... I have no problem with those who speak in tongues... I have articulated that I believe it is indeed a gift as per the scriptures. It is not a gift that all Christians desire ( including myself )... I have never just FELT this burning need to pray in tongues... but I have felt the need for wisdom and mercy.
The problem I have is with attitudes like what you and New Music are promoting.... When you throw your requirement onto EVERY believer it becomes a judgement thing.... and it taints the entire aspect of this gift.

Paul said to let the ignorant remain ignorant, which means that at some point it’s time to let the ignorant remain ignorant and move on.

1Co 14:38 But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.

Thus I said exactly what Paul said and meant, but it’s obvious that you take offense at anything and everything.

If my words were arrogant, then so were Paul’s words.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Paul said to let the ignorant remain ignorant, which means that at some point it’s time to let the ignorant remain ignorant and move on.

Thus I said exactly what Paul said and meant, but it’s obvious that you take offense at anything and everything.

If my words were arrogant, then so were Paul’s words.
I stand corrected.... Paul did indeed encourage people to speak in tongues. Was not aware of this.

I still don't desire this gift... so I guess that makes me a CRAPPY Christian... LOL
I find this topic silly... so that's on me.

NewMusic

Sep 13, 2021
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, there’s three kinds of Holy Spirit tongues:

The one everyone understands without an interpreter

The unknown tongue never understood by any man.

The unknown tongue spoken in church that is interpreted.

Hey Curtis, this is what I addressed in an earlier post of mine, that I think you are saying are 3 different types of tongues, whereas if you care to evaluate them in reality, I see them as 3 different events, but the same tongue.

I wrote that the miracle in Acts 2 was that God allowed the people from different regions to hear the tongues and understand them. I could be wrong, but it's highly likely what I brought to attention, is credible. Read my post #151 on page 8.

The point I spoke about regarding Acts 2:6

The disciples were using the same type of tongue that you and I use when praying in tongues alone.

Then you make a distinction about the prayer tongue people use alone. In reality it's the same tongue, different context.

Then you make a distinction about tongues in an assembly with an interpreter as being a different tongue. It is not. Just different context.

Even if you do not believe what I am showing by the scripture in Acts 2:6 and the following part where the mockers thought the disciples were drunk (why? because they were babbling, jibberish, sounding like men who are drunk. Totally distinct from observing people from foreign languages speaking. There is a definite difference.)

Even if you disagree and think the disciples were actually speaking Parthian, Mede, Egyptians, etc... even if you believe the disciples were actually granted the ability to speak about Jesus in a foreign language (I suspect this is not the case), well you are still then having only 2 types of tongues.

Because your bottom 2 examples, alone tongues, and tongues in an assembly with an interpreter, is the exact same tongue. Not two different types. Just 2 different applications of the same tongue.

You think I'm wrong, you're going to have to do a much better job of demonstrating how the tongues themselves are different, rather than reference their usage.

I can use a Phillips screwdriver on my car, and I can use it on my stereo. Same tool, different application.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The disciples were using the same type of tongue that you and I use when praying in tongues alone.

Then you make a distinction about the prayer tongue people use alone. In reality it's the same tongue, different context.

Then you make a distinction about tongues in an assembly with an interpreter as being a different tongue. It is not. Just different context.
I understand what you are saying.... the gift is the same.... whether spoken in a crowd or in private.... If spoken out loud in an assembly... it would require the interpreter ? Since you don't understand what you are speaking... I guess this is kind of hard to prove.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

You are entitle to your opinion. Have a nice day.

Reactions: amadeus

Tong2020

Apr 30, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
I said that spiritual gifts are for those who are saved, and not to GET saved.

Is that not clear enough?
That is a given. I don’t know why you point on that. So, what is your answer to my question:

Are you one of those who believe that believers who do not have tongues are not saved? That tongues is a necessary sign of believers?

Tong
R4600

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Amen, Precious friend, Addy. May God Bestow HIS GRACE, PEACE, MERCY, And
LOVE
, and WISDOM on us all.

Please be Richly Encouraged In HIM, And HIS Word Of Truth!
I LOVE LOVE LOVE when you speak... Your words ( Christ's words ) ALWAYS bless me.

Reactions: Truman

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ok so.... I've been thinking of this topic since yesterday... and I have had a bit of time to understand why I am NOT receptive to the gift of tongues.

I have NO doubt that was Paul is teaching and experiencing is the REAL gift of tongues.... Perhaps if I understood what that looks like or feels like... I would be begging for it.... but I have seen so many videos of the Charismatic movement... the uncontrollable laughing... the falling over drunk.... the tongues that sound like nothing more than gibberish... the whole nine yards.... and I find it REPULSIVE.... and DISTURBING... all of it.

THESE gifts have been abused by the Charismatic movement... and I guess that has left a VERY BAD TASTE in my mouth. Tongues and healing are a hot commodity... I want no part of that showy performance stuff.

I will stick to my desire for wisdom... mercy and compassion.... THESE are all things I am EXCITED to ask GOD for.

My little final two cents worth on this topic.

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear SIR.... Please do not place yourself in position of ERROR by proceeding to tell me what I ought to think... or need.
You have absolutely NO idea what my life is or is not.
As far as gifts go.... I desire the gift of mercy... the gift of wisdom... the gift of empathy and compassion. Those ones take a bit
of humility to get clothed with.
Blessings in Christ Jesus! I have the gift of mercy...the gift of wisdom...the gift of empathy and compassion, and so do you my dear sister. (and Jesus had compassion on the crowds). One of the things that are apparent in many believers is they(by lack of Faith) separate themselves from The Lord. They put Him up upon the throne(Which He is) but have forgotten His promise to sup with them(enter in). All who truly are born from above have both The Father and The Son in the Form of The Holy Spirit living within them. Two can not walk together unless they agree. Part of His Perfect(For He is the Perfect) plan that was known before the foundation of the world was that Jesus(emanuel) would come in the flesh and do all that The Father ask Him to do. What is important to The Lord is Faith, and Love, with Love being the greatest as He is Love. And without faith it is impossible to please Him. Even Faith is a Gift. He has promised to us The Holy Spirit and this promise He has kept, and will continue to keep until The Day of Redemption. These Gifts that were promised as well as the ones you mentioned are found in Him for He is The Greatest Gift. It was designed so that two would become One, and His special possession(The Church) would become One with Him as The Head. I, even though I am not worthy, before receiving the gift of tongues have walked in the other gifts(Him) as The Lord saw fit. I too was curious about the gift of tongues. I did not understand. This gift was there all along but I had not ask for it(By faith). "You received not because you ask not". In the world there are fake tongues, demonic tongues, and the genuine gift of tongues. Not all speak in tongues but many more would, if they only believe. Jesus said, "when I return, will I find faith on earth?" His plan all along was to work in and through us to gather many before the Harvest. So what is meant by all of these words spoken today? It is all Him, and Him we have, if only we will believe His Word. "and they shall speak in new tongues."

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Blessings in Christ Jesus! I have the gift of mercy...the gift of wisdom...the gift of empathy and compassion, and so do you my dear sister. (and Jesus had compassion on the crowds). One of the things that are apparent in many believers is they(by lack of Faith) separate themselves from The Lord. They put Him up upon the throne(Which He is) but have forgotten His promise to sup with them(enter in). All who truly are born from above have both The Father and The Son in the Form of The Holy Spirit living within them. Two can not walk together unless they agree. Part of His Perfect(For He is the Perfect) plan that was known before the foundation of the world was that Jesus(emanuel) would come in the flesh and do all that The Father ask Him to do. What is important to The Lord is Faith, and Love, with Love being the greatest as He is Love. And without faith it is impossible to please Him. Even Faith is a Gift. He has promised to us The Holy Spirit and this promise He has kept, and will continue to keep until The Day of Redemption. These Gifts that were promised as well as the ones you mentioned are found in Him for He is The Greatest Gift. It was designed so that two would become One, and His special possession(The Church) would become One with Him as The Head. I, even though I am not worthy, before receiving the gift of tongues have walked in the other gifts(Him) as The Lord saw fit. I too was curious about the gift of tongues. I did not understand. This gift was there all along but I had not ask for it(By faith). "You received not because you ask not". In the world there are fake tongues, demonic tongues, and the genuine gift of tongues. Not all speak in tongues but many more would, if they only believe. Jesus said, "when I return, will I find faith on earth?" His plan all along was to work in and through us to gather many before the Harvest. So what is meant by all of these words spoken today? It is all Him, and Him we have, if only we will believe His Word. "and they shall speak in new tongues."
What an absolutely BEAUTIFUL response this is to me. THIS has touched my heart DEEPLY... THIS is what I call CHRISTIANITY at it's FINEST!!
Thank you for ADDRESSING my heart.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There’s a specialist gift of tongues that’s given in church and interpreted, and then there’s the personal prayer language tongue that is a sign that follows all those who believe.
This is what I understand.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the rest of what Paul said was that they all should speak in tongues in the Corinthian church, and that he spoke in tongues more than anyone, and ordered them to forbid not speaking in tongues.

You can’t use the letter Paul wrote to that church, where he imparts to then spiritual gifts to have until Jesus returns, teaches them how to operate the gifts of tongues properly in church, lists to them the gifts of the spirit, says they should all speak in tongues, says he speaks in tongues more than anyone, and orders them to forbid not speaking in tongues, to refute the gift of tongues.

The importance of having love hardly negates speaking in tongues.
Are you thinking I'm cessationist?

Much love!