Too Much Emphasis on College

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Not in a bad way, but saying they really wish I had pushed how important education is.
One of the greatest fallacies around is believing that going to college means getting "an education". That is hardly the case. It is only after wasting time in college that people learn how to be truly educated. And I speak as one who received a Master of Science degree from a leading American university. It was helpful, but that was not really "education".

"The students are truly educated when their teachers guide them, “to make them think through,” to understand what is happening around them (Gitlin)." Do most college graduates today have this kind of education? Hardly They do not really know what is happening around them. They believe all the Leftist and Communist lies they are being fed and avoid critical thinking. People in government have all kinds of degrees, but all their decisions are stupid and foolish. Just look at the mess of the Western world. And unless they are saved by grace and have the indwelling Holy Spirit, they will never really be educated.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
-
A 200,000 USD Education stalls at the gate, once you have to figure out how to stay off the street.

And that skill is the main one that isn't taught in School., and yet that is the one big issue that hits you in the face when you are "out on your own". "like a rolling stone" "a complete unknown" sang the Jewish Jester.

Q.) "How do i sustain my life so that i dont ..... (and will never)... end up on the street".

THAT is the class that everyone has to graduate, after they graduate from school, and they didnt teach you that answer in Class.

And here we go...

Some choose to find a marriage, or 4 or 5, and share the misery to the end.
Some choose to go back home to mama for a few more years., or off and on.....and that's ok.
Some choose to read "how to get rich" books, that made the liar who wrote them, rich, because he sold a lot of them.
Some people cant deal with LIFE at all, and get sick.. or they are defined by a "cope issue" and stay medicated and on welfare.
Some are called to Preach.. To Teach. Some go back to school and become professional students, and end up educated beyond their intelligence.
Some get a lot of bank loans. Some "go west young man". Some rob banks and enjoy life inside a cell with their friends.

What they all should have done is learn some useful skill that gets a good paycheck.
Its really that simple. as you get paid $$$$$$$ in Life..... in direct relation to how people evaluate your skill.
A Ditch Digger, gets paid less than a Brain Surgeon, because of how people perceive "human skill value" that they need.

Or. .. You should start a small business doing something you love, so that you can work all day and its not work at all.

See all that? and more like that?
That is the end result of the fall of Adam. Its because of his rebellion, that we ended up in : "life is so hard, and gets harder with age"..

A.) In Steps God., and the Cross of Christ.

And what happens?
We enter this place.....as born again.

="Heir of God"
="Joint Heir with Jesus"
="All things work together for our benefit"....= .even the crazy stuff that seems like it will never end.

And because we are in that "God Place", .....we have the one thing that unbelievers do not have, ever.

They do not have any HOPE.

We live in it.

And that is because Hope is found in God, 'in Christ", and we have it all.

HOPE is really .."God changes the bad into the good"...>"the impossible into the possible". "Call on me and i will deliver you, my Child".

God is your Hope if you are born again...., So as long as He is alive, you have HOPE.
Rest there.

Also, these people never finished High School.

1. Thomas Edison
  2. Benjamin Franklin
  3. Albert Einstein
  4. John D. Rockefeller
  5. Walt Disney

Reactions: Augustin56

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Education is not a one time thing. It is a lifelong thing. Now, with the advent of the Internet, information is available to all. The ability to think, however, is not always (usually) taught in our colleges. It used to be.

• Love
Reactions: JohnDB and Wynona

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Something to think about. The world, as we know it, will be changing, mainly due to demographics. The Baby Boomer generation are all retiring and dying off. They are, hands down, the largest generation, not just in the U.S., but worldwide. That will leave a worker gap. For example, for every five skilled laborers (carpenters, plumbers, electricians, etc.) who are leaving the work force, only two are taking their place. There just aren't enough young people. Add to that the fact that China is fixing to crash, due to demographics. Their 40 year one-child policy has created a problem they cannot possibly fix. By 2050, at the very latest, their population will be half what it is now. And globalization, started by the U.S. just after WWII, as a way to bribe countries to side with us against the Soviet Union, is coming to an end. We guaranteed safe passage for all trade in exchange for their siding with us against the USSR. The USSR is gone, and we have lost interest in being the world's security against trade. China, for example, imports 85% of their food and energy. All it will take is one country who doesn't like China (and the list is long) to sink one or two oil tankers and it's game over. Oil tankers, etc., will only travel if they have insurance. Sink one or two ships and they will stop insuring them, and they will stop delivering. Without food or fuel, China will implode within 6-12 months. Same for many other countries. Add to that, the shortage of fertilizer caused by the Russia/Ukraine War. About 40% of the world's fertilizer comes from these two countries, and without it, many countries who rely on fertilizer to grow food on very marginal lands (Brazil, for example) will not be able to do so. Famine will ensue in many countries.

We in the U.S., on the other hand, will need to either re-shore or close-shore all that manufacturing we sent overseas. That will take 5-10 years, after which we'll be fine. But it'll be a rough 5-10 years. And we'll need all the skilled labor we can get to build the new plants.
Wishing I could give some sort of award for this post. Like, "Here, you get the Smart Cookie award!"

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not going to get better. Matt 24
World war, floods, famines, I don't think we have 5 to 10 years.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There was a time, that I went to college, but I wasn't really motivated to go through with it.

I always disliked and hated school even high school but enjoyed being able to go there cause it was away from home.

Just needed the pell grant money to get a computer... lol. It probably would have been different experience if we did not have to do everything on a computer. That is how people probably retained more knowledge cause they had to write down what they learned, always was writing...

That must be why the history of the bible is so amazing, cause they remembered it so well, well at least that is my opinion.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At the age of about 12 ,Jesus said this to his earthly family.....
Luke 2:49
And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business ?

It is high time we also did this and commission others also to make disciples, preaching the good news that salvation from God has come to men, through Jesus!

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At the age of about 12 ,Jesus said this to his earthly family.....
Luke 2:49
And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business ?

It is high time we also did this and commission others also to make disciples, preaching the good news that salvation from God has come to men, through Jesus!

You also remind me of a scripture Least, it was during the time of acts, when the Jewish leaders were trying to forbid Peter and John to stop preaching the name of the Lord.

Acts 4:
12 Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”

The Name of Jesus Forbidden​

13 Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated and untrained men, they marveled. And they realized that they had been with Jesus. 14 And seeing the man who had been healed standing with them, they could say nothing against it.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You also remind me of a scripture Least, it was during the time of acts, when the Jewish leaders were trying to forbid Peter and John to stop preaching the name of the Lord.

Acts 4:
12 Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”

The Name of Jesus Forbidden​

13 Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated and untrained men, they marveled. And they realized that they had been with Jesus. 14 And seeing the man who had been healed standing with them, they could say nothing against it.
Amen.
May others "see that we have been with Jesus", also !

Reactions: MatthewG

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Too Much Emphasis on College​

OP^
@Wynona

From inception of the founding of America; the FOUNDING was BASED on the;
“Standards and Principles” OF GODS WORD.

(A comparison of Ancient Scripture to Historical American Documents and Laws reveals the Standards and Principles basis parallels.)

EDUCATION, was/is Paramount in Scripture, Learning ABOUT God…EVEN SCRIPTURE ITSELF HAS MULTIPLE WARNINGS ABOUT THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN what Gods Word Teaches and what worldly men Teach.

Colleges and Universities (even Public Schools)….PROMOTE Education….and on the SURFACE “sounds” NOBLE…

The TEACHERS, (for the Public Schools); are EDUCATED, “taught, conditioned, groomed” IN Colleges AND Universities…
TO: Teach, Encourage, Advise, Counsel students BY, THROUGH, OF Psychological Methods, they were taught, conditioned, groomed…..TO TEACH young impressionable MINDS.

On the flip side…Scriptural Teaching of Gods Word was VESTED in the Parents TO TEACH THEIR Children….BEFORE “unleashing” THEIR Children out INTO THE WORLD.

When a parent “unleashes” THEIR Child into a Public school, (now encouraged for the parent TO DO, at the child’s AGE of 3 years, (preschool), then School, AGES 4-5-6+)…THEIR child is now for the majority of their waking day, BEING influenced BY TEACHERS, educated IN Colleges and Universities…(that BY todays Standards and Principles……..IS VOID, IS AGAINST, God...
And INSTEAD;
Are SUBJECT TO: mans methods of Psychological Worldly gobblygook .

EDUCATION IS important.
Gods WAY FIRST, “parents teaching”.
POINT Being, BEFORE the child is “unleashed” out into the WORLD…
They “ARE ARMED WITH Gods TRUTH” and can “RECOGNIZE” when they are being “FED” worldly psychobabble, To: then Avoid the psychobabble…OR Be ABLE TO “SPIT IT OUT”.

Just observing…sounds like you experienced being FED psychobabble and recognized it AT that time, and confessing you Spit it Out, choosing “INSTEAD”, Gods Word.

Col 2:
[8] Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Remember college/universities newly registered students are encouraged and many times required to take PHILOSOPHY courses?
THAT is the very thing Gods Word WARNS AGAINST!
(And HOW MANY children ARE NOT prepared in Gods Word…BEFORE they ARE brain-washed in MANS psychobabble of Philosophies?…MAJORITY!)

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: Wynona

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Had to think about this one. I do wish I had the courage not to cave to pressure. I acknowledge I should have spoken up and been honest about not wanting to go to college.

I still think there shouldn't be so much pressure.
A career at the Post Office is a good alternative to college. ;)

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Education is not a one time thing. It is a lifelong thing. Now, with the advent of the Internet, information is available to all. The ability to think, however, is not always (usually) taught in our colleges. It used to be.
I'm not disagreeing with you at all...
I just wanted to add that a PROPER college, (and once upon a time) and a high school education taught you ONE core principle which was "how to teach yourself ".

Many never picked up on the clues of how to sift through ALL the information available and discover the best practices for finding the truth and then applying what you have learned into the work day.

With the advent of AI what you know is not as relevant anymore. Putting the information together in a coherent fashion is. Being able to discover new information is also invaluable....but people put a price tag on it too.

However; at the end of the day....
Nobody ever said, "I wished I had worked more overtime".
What Jesus said is true. "A person's life does not consist of his possessions." (Incuding educations) The relationships we form are our legacy that lasts for an eternity. This networking of relationships extends beyond children (they grow up and leave home) and other family members. This extends to the communities you live within.

"Who do others say that I am?" Is the question Jesus asked of Peter. It's an important question. If God wants you to be wealthy He will. Otherwise being content with the possessions you have is extremely freeing...so is generosity. And when asked about you who do others(especially God) say that you are? That matters more than wealth...

Me?
I've had several careers. Not just jobs but full blown careers. From Electrician to sales to truck driver and chef. College educations and tech school for all of it. Wife has her Master's. Threw a small fuss about not bringing home as much money as I did.

Now as things are winding down....(body is wearing out) I want to do it all again.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My tuition for a full load was $111.00. And we received a real education. You were taught how to think rather than what to think (indoctrination). In fact, some schools in my day required you to have at least 18 semester hours in philosophy to graduate with a degree in anything!
Ah, the joys of a Catholic college (Where I went :) )

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I went to college for a while and also specialized school. It helped me in my career back when I could work. It was really helpful.

Reactions: Cassandra

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
EDUCATION, was/is Paramount in Scripture, Learning ABOUT God…EVEN SCRIPTURE ITSELF HAS MULTIPLE WARNINGS ABOUT THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN what Gods Word Teaches and what worldly men Teach.

Colleges and Universities (even Public Schools)….PROMOTE Education….and on the SURFACE “sounds” NOBLE…
My Pastor once said that nothing is secular since all is of God.

I have a book entitled An Incomplete Education. Regarding public schools not teaching young skulls full of mush about Jesus and his God is an incomplete education, indeed.

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I worked for a construction company they sent me to specialized school to learn Microsoft Office Advanced. It has helped me even till today as I work on my personal project.