Too much time in doctrine... Not enough time with the Lord

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
rockytopva said:
Pastor and theological professor commits suicide... Sad story!

http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/08/technology/ashley-madison-suicide/
I've been hearing quite a bit about this "Ashley Madison" scandal...but I don't really understand it.
This is actually a site for married people to find people to have affairs with? And married people actually use this as a "dating site"?
And this guy was a pastor who signed up for the cheater's dating service....looking for someone to have an affair with.
Someone hacked into the site and exposed him and a bunch of other cheaters....
And the guy suicided.
I think his wife is being very reasonable about the whole thing, God bless her. She must have been devastated...

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 For there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; neither hid, that shall not be known.
3 Therefore whatsoever ye have spoken in darkness shall be heard in the light; and that which ye have spoken in the ear in closets shall be proclaimed upon the housetops. - Luke 12

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
I doubt that "too much time in doctrine" was his problem.. Pride may have been? Suicide wasn't the answer, repentance was.. Sad story nonetheless

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Unspiritual thinking leads to error and confusion about doctorine. That which is not spiritually discerned from scripture is more or less worthless.

This is a danger, and I see it happen here all too often.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The title of this topic is similar to saying, "Too much time learning to read, not enough time studying books." Scripture warns that you "watch your life and doctrine closely, if you do you will save both yourself and your hearers." Doctrine is simply a set of accepted beliefs. You cannot please God without faith/belief...and you cannot know God without faith/belief in the truth. Thus, if you want to have a "relationship" with God, you need both faith and truth. That is the very essence of "doctrine." I dont know the story with this professor, but I dont think his story is a strike against a strong focus on doctrine. Scholars are not immune to spiritual attacks, poor choices or depression. If a Charismatic committed suicide, we shouldn't assume they had too much focus on relationship without a strong enough grounding in truth.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The danger in all of this -- and we are all susceptible to this lie of Satan -- is that we think possessing the right amount of knowledge will alone save us.

I'm not at all saying that the Professor here made that mistake, but the danger of having the form of head knowledge will not suffice for living it out. What's so tragic here is first and foremost the hurt for the family(!!!), but I would also add that he still likely helped very many to Jesus, yet his life ended in such a terrible way.

I think Wormwood's message above is apt; what we as Christians should see is that this could be us -- white and cleansed on the outside, rotting corpses on the inside.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
HammerStone said:
The danger in all of this -- and we are all susceptible to this lie of Satan -- is that we think possessing the right amount of knowledge will alone save us.

I'm not at all saying that the Professor here made that mistake, but the danger of having the form of head knowledge will not suffice for living it out. What's so tragic here is first and foremost the hurt for the family(!!!), but I would also add that he still likely helped very many to Jesus, yet his life ended in such a terrible way.

I think Wormwood's message above is apt; what we as Christians should see is that this could be us -- white and cleansed on the outside, rotting corpses on the inside.
Yes, I'm afraid we are all susceptible to our own foolish pride...and Satan knows it.

This tragedy does give us much to think about.

My prayers are with that family. The wife and mother has been given a heavy cross to bear...and she carries it nobly, with her head held high... She is an inspiration to all of us.

Thank you, Hammerstone, and Wormwood.