Trouble with self-esteem?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I answered someone having trouble with self-esteem at another forum and thought I'd post here what I told her...

"You sound like you are lacking in self-esteem. So you need to learn to have Biblical self-esteem. That is, that you are a beloved child of God through Christ.

The next time those thoughts start to bother you, remember who you are in Jesus. Get into the Word of God and try to memorize a few verses to help you when your thoughts are self-defeating.

Even if some people don't like us, that is between them and God. Don't worry about what they might think of you. Accept yourself and leave them in the Lord's hands.

Be at rest in the Lord."

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You don't have to be like someone to be kind to them; and you don't have to keep being kind to be liked (selah)

Reactions: Nancy

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I answered someone having trouble with self-esteem

There are many reasons for low self esteem, not all are simply spiritual.
To apply a spiritual answer to a mental health issue is like putting a leg in plaster when the patient has a skin complaint.

We are not doctors and our advice has to reflect that.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
To apply a spiritual answer to a mental health issue is like putting a leg in plaster when the patient has a skin complaint.

Everything has a spiritual aspect.

• Love
Reactions: Pearl

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Everything has a spiritual aspect.
Somethings do, a broken bone is not a spiritual issue, telling someone with a physical issue to read the bible etc is very dangerous.
How do you after reading two or three sentences know the most appropriate treatment for someone?

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Apparently the doctors and medication have not helped her.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Somethings do, a broken bone is not a spiritual issue, telling someone with a physical issue to read the bible etc is very dangerous.
How do you after reading two or three sentences know the most appropriate treatment for someone?
Have you not received comfort from reading some verses in the Word of God?

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I believe the Bible teaches that everything, whether physical/material, mental/intellectual, emotional/sentimental, or social/relational, influences and is influenced by spiritual activity and awareness.

Php 4:6-7 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; (7) and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

1Th 5:17-18 Keep on with your prayers. (18) In everything give praise: for this is the purpose of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
As Christians even a broken bone becomes a spiritual issue as it something we pray about and trust God to be with us in our pain.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I answered someone having trouble with self-esteem at another forum and thought I'd post here what I told her...

"You sound like you are lacking in self-esteem. So you need to learn to have Biblical self-esteem. That is, that you are a beloved child of God through Christ.

The next time those thoughts start to bother you, remember who you are in Jesus. Get into the Word of God and try to memorize a few verses to help you when your thoughts are self-defeating.

Even if some people don't like us, that is between them and God. Don't worry about what they might think of you. Accept yourself and leave them in the Lord's hands.

Be at rest in the Lord."
When we sin, our self-esteem takes a nose dive. Is there a lesson there?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Be at rest in the Lord."
Amen my sister. I call it "self conscience vs Christ conscience". All inward, unbiblical thoughts are "self" conscience IMHO.
I have been struggling with much loss and depression for half my life and yes, am on meds all this time...started in my late 30's. It came on gradually and after 30 years. At first, it would be a day or two and has finally come full circle and is a constant. So, I found the only answer is to reach out to The Lord for His comfort and His Spirit to get me through each day, one at a time. Our "feelings" can never dictate that God is not present, even when He is. Just realizing that helps a lot! I'm no longer the cheerful, bouncy person I once was but, things are more grave now and it's never been more important than now that we should be diligently seeking Him. At first (for me) it felt as though my pleading just dissapeared into thin air, but when I kept on with the prayers and worship it became easier, the words flowed better and better. I still have many down days but, we know that He hears us and weeps with us.
There are no simple answers, as there are many different kinds of mental trauma as well as many different kinds of depression which each person has their own story...it also can happen to those who are seemingly very happy and successful and loved by all...an old friend of mine was just that and she took her life in September. Biggest shock of my life! We do not know what demons others have to fight daily. I pray God has mercy on her as I do not believe she was saved...searching, yes but not finding. She might have at the last moment reached out for Christ, we do not know.
I hope your friend will heed your advice.
xo

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When we sin, our self-esteem takes a nose dive. Is there a lesson there?
True, sin can do that.

But the person that I was speaking about (on another forum) has some mental conditions that cause her thinking about herself to be amiss.