Truth in Text

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Translation can divide us in many things. Doctrines can fall or stand on them. The truth of the matter is the text is sufficient in all translations for salvation. Let us not be swayed by the influence of false doctrines, or books written with the intent to change translation for doctrinal value, yet let us hold true to the original doctrine of the apostles. Let us preach Jesus crucified, buried, and resurrected. Why fight amongst ourselves over details that yield no value? Let iron sharpen iron in proper discernment of the texts, but can one doctrine condemn another doctrine, or is condemnation by God alone? Approach the text with reverence, allow the Holy Spirit to guide you, and let the scriptures plainly tell you God's Word, Jesus Christ.

pompadour

Staff member
Oct 5, 2011
minnesota USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Justaname, It is strange the way GOD works sometimes. A few yrs ago I had a dream. I will get to it in a min. I was looking at topics on the board and looked at Spiritual Christian form - Inspirational post from around the net. Angelina had posted all of them. three had photos of Swords, that reminded me of the dream. then I came to this post of yours. and the first reply to it was Angelina. it all came together for me.

The dream: I was standing out side and a Angel was standing in front of me and he handed me a large two edged sword, I took it and tested it see how sharp it was and cut my thumb. that startled me and I swung the sword away from me and cut some one in the side that was standing close to me. I jerked the sword away from that person and struck some one on the other side of me in the leg. the Angel took a few steps back and was looking at the sword. I put the sword by my leg to keep from injuring other people and cut my leg.

I decided that the sword was to dangerous for me because I didn't know how to handle it. I didn't have a holder to put it in. then a large rock wall appeared close to me, I walked over to the wall and shoved the blade into the rock up to the handle and left it there. the Angel seamed to approve and left and the dream ended.

The word of GOD is sharper then a two edged sword and I think we should all be very very careful how we use it.

Pomp.

Reactions: Angelina

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Translation can divide us in many things. Doctrines can fall or stand on them. The truth of the matter is the text is sufficient in all translations for salvation. Let us not be swayed by the influence of false doctrines, or books written with the intent to change translation for doctrinal value, yet let us hold true to the original doctrine of the apostles. Let us preach Jesus crucified, buried, and resurrected. Why fight amongst ourselves over details that yield no value? Let iron sharpen iron in proper discernment of the texts, but can one doctrine condemn another doctrine, or is condemnation by God alone? Approach the text with reverence, allow the Holy Spirit to guide you, and let the scriptures plainly tell you God's Word, Jesus Christ.

Truly.

Yet how many of us read our Bible enough to be able to do that? Not that many I'd say, otherwise we wouldn't have so many brethren with so many differing basic Bible doctrines, which actually reveal the divisions caused by the "crept in unawares" among God's people.

All Bible translations (that I've read) contain the basic Message of The Gospel of Jesus Christ. So we all should be solid together in that. The next level which translations could slight from the original, but is difficult to do, is with how God's Word uses metaphorical speech to point to Truth. That's what I find many brethren lacking in, when the very reason much of God's Word is written in that way was to overcome the language communication barrier. Examples of this are Christ's parables and the metaphors and parables back in the OT Books about the end times. Concentrating on learning those will help open up the true meaning of much Bible prophecy, regardless of the translation. And of course, only The Holy Spirit can impart the meaning of those in-depth as needed.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is that same two edged sword that conquers all. I agree to discern to use the word properly. But how many "doctrine makers" actually know Hebrew or Greek? Can we use Webster's to define translated texts? I think not. Not to say I haven't done that myself in the past. Basic hermeneutics is the call to the brethren. A text can never mean what it never meant to its original audience or to its original author. What the Holy Spirit is teaching you about the text should be the same he intended to teach to His original audience.
Veteran you are so right. This is where our teachers, ministers, and the like need to step in. Sometimes you need to understand the history of nearby cultures, sometimes you need to understand the jewish culture, and the list goes on. The text can be very plain in other aspects though, God is not the author of confusion. It is man that gets in the way. I truly want the gift of prophecy, and I know the text, along with the Holy Spirit will help guide me. But if I can't get over if He is called the Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost how can I even think to be able to advance from His direction.

BibleScribe

Jun 17, 2011
S.W. USA
... Why fight amongst ourselves over details that yield no value? ...

Hi justaname,

I would propose that "fight" is no more reserved for one portion of Scripture versus another.

Secondly, if the ~important~ part of Scripture is unto Salvation, then is the rest of no value? Doesn't Scripture command us to grow beyond the milk? And aren't the other aspects of GODs Perfect Design "meat"?

So if we do as you suggest and ignore the weightier things, then is GOD a fool for having wasted both HIS and our time on something of negative value? And if GOD is a fool, then am I also for having pursued that "meat"? Or are you missing out on those things which you do not know, by declaring you "have no need of thee"?

I most strenuously object to your council, and urge others to judge it as the ill conceived notion it is. For again, if GOD wanted us ignorant, HE would not have provided HIS Word in the first place.

BibleScribe

BibleScribe

Jun 17, 2011
S.W. USA
To All,

Ummmmm, sorry if I came across too harshly. My intent was to emphasize that ALL Scripture is of benefit, to the point of John's observation:

John 21:25
[sup]25[/sup]And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

So instead of boiling the Scriptures down to the simplicity of Salvation, we should be amplifying them to every aspect of GOD's Perfect Plan. :)

BibleScribe

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well Scribe I suppose you could prescribe that word "fight" exactly the way you are posting and prove my point perfectly, thank you.
As I said let iron sharpen iron. I am not one against meat as you might suggest, nor avoidance to weightier things, yet puffed up attitudes and one relying on their own knowledge and not trusting in the Lord are some things I am against.

For a little insight God's plan for us is to bring others to His light and salvation, not our understanding.

BibleScribe

Jun 17, 2011
S.W. USA
... I am not one against meat as you might suggest, nor avoidance to weightier things, yet puffed up attitudes and one relying on their own knowledge and not trusting in the Lord are some things I am against.

For a little insight God's plan for us is to bring others to His light and salvation, not our understanding.

I'm up for a simple test of whether Jesus is the one referenced in Daniel Chapter 9 or whether it's another, -- and I propose it's another. Are you equally up to the task? :)

BibleScribe

Perspectives

Aug 12, 2011
Northwest
Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity (not intellectual agreement)! It is like the precious oil upon the head (set man) running down on the beard (maturity), the beard of Aaron (authority) running down on the edge of his garments (spiritual alingment) It is like the dew (anointing) of Hermon, desending (from the throne) upon the mountains of Zion; for there the Lord commanded the blessing- life forevermore. We all want the enabling the anointing brings, precious few will lay aside the doctrinal territory they have staked out, not even for one moment to sincerely consider another view. Unity is far from most of His people.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scribe,
Starting halloween I will be taking a corse on Daniel and Revelation. It would be interesting to hear your point of view on the subject. Maybe you should start a thread.

Big,
You are so right, and this is the call straight from our text from Paul and others. Unfortunate isn't it?

BibleScribe

Jun 17, 2011
S.W. USA
Hey justaname,

I'll forewarn you, -- it's a waste of time ...

The problem is with the angel. Daniel 12:4 & 9 insists that the words of this prophetic book are "shut up and sealed until the time of the end". But because the commentators ~know better~, they assign these modern prophecies (i.e., ~1948) to ancient empires. And where Newton attempted to define exactly how these ancient events matched prophecies, he refused to publish because that research failed to align these Scriptures with those events.

But this doesn't stop them from promulgating their lies, simply because they have no better answer. So rather than remain silent, (as Newton did), they knowingly present error as though it were the truth.

So when you walk into the class, please be prepared for the lies, starting with the ~four~ world empires -- versus that which Daniel 2:45 presents (4,3,5,2,1 = FIVE), and modern history accounts for (the "divided" three-superpower era). And I'll leave you to determine whether your instructor is either honest, or merely parrots what he/she has been indoctrinated in.

BibleScribe

PS I do have an active ~presentation~ in the Topic: "Is The Book Of Daniel Wrong".
http://www.christian...f-daniel-wrong/

Take a look and offer your opinion! :)

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity (not intellectual agreement)! It is like the precious oil upon the head (set man) running down on the beard (maturity), the beard of Aaron (authority) running down on the edge of his garments (spiritual alingment) It is like the dew (anointing) of Hermon, desending (from the throne) upon the mountains of Zion; for there the Lord commanded the blessing- life forevermore. We all want the enabling the anointing brings, precious few will lay aside the doctrinal territory they have staked out, not even for one moment to sincerely consider another view. Unity is far from most of His people.

Good post, unity is in the Spirit. :)

Interesting insight to this psalm, brother. Something that I read about this psalm hit me, it said something like 'Christ is the head, and is anointed, and the anointing runs down the beard and then the robe, down the whole body.'

Blessings, brother!