Turning the other cheek

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Angel

May 16, 2016
http://biblehub.com/matthew/5-39.htm

But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.

I wish that more people would work on this one. Do you suffer an injury for the sake of peace? I do it all the time. Does God turn the other cheek also?

Tiny

Nov 29, 2014
Yes, completely agree.

Turning the other cheek for the sake of peace can have huge benefits in the long run.

I used to argue with everyone, but the results were not good.

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
Angel said:
Does God turn the other cheek also?
I don't think so, Jesus had a tendency to take controversy head on; "Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it." (John 8:44).

And when Jesus did got smacked, he didn't asked to be hit again; "Jesus answered him, If I have spoken evil, bear witness of the evil: but if well, why smitest thou me?" (John 18:23).

Angel

May 16, 2016
Someone told me I do it too often. People learn that there is no consequence to treating me like crap so they do it all the time.

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
I don't think Jesus was asking us to physically suffer injuries, he was just saying that if someone finds you offensive, don't get in a tizzy and escalate the problem. Just turn the other cheek and walk away (an idiom). Jesus similarly told his disciples; "And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet" (Matthew 10:14). Don't go or stay where your not welcome, just leave to avoid conflict.

'Turn the other cheek' was not an order for Christians to be willing victims, it was advise on how to avoid abuse. Paul said; "If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men" (Romans 12:18). But unfortunately, its not always possible... jmo