Unclean spirit, demon and devil

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While it still would be a stinging rebuke, as "satanas" means "adversary", Jesus was not necessarily addressing Peter as the one we know as Satan.

Much love!
Ps , i dont care what the pope says about ya my friend , or would say about ya , You know i loves ya . NOW GET a fat ol drink of those lovely scrips
and stay well planted in that bible .

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Known unto GOD are all things . JESUS KNEW exactly what judas was , when he was chosen .
Jesus knew judas was never gonna come to him in spirit and in truth , in heart . JESUS KNEW .
Pharoah was raised up and destroyed . GOD is in control . My advice is we follow the good examples
and dont let folks try and feel saved when following the bad . WE got us folks saying JUDAS is dancing in heaven .
OH NO HE AINT . BETTER were it for that man IF he had never been born . DONT expect to see judas in glory land is all i can say .
YET JESUS KNEW what he was . JESUS would be betrayed and from one within . JUST as the scriptures Had said .
AND WE should KNOW who inspired the scriptures , cause it sure werent man . KNOWN UNTO GOD IS ALL THINGS .
AND GOD KNOWS what is best for us . SO I SUGGEST we take all his reminders SERIOUS . cause as i said GOD KNOWS ALL THINGS
HE KNOWS HOW to keep a person , a body , a church safe . I SUGGEST we heed ALL REMINDERS . THEY WERE SAID and WRITTEN
for the good of the believer . Lets not follow acroynms , LETS FOLLOW JESUS who is the SAVOIR .

There is a way to protect yourself. 1 John 5:18 We know that whoever is born of God does not sin; but he who has been born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one does not touch him.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus only prays for those the Father has given to Him as believers in Him.
Jesus never prays for Judas, (a devil), but Jesús does pray for Peter.

There is a key word in this and it is "given." Those God "gave" His Son in predestination were only the holy apostles. Jesus prays for them, BUT ALSO prays for all those (us) who believe their words.

False doctrines about predestination are that we all are predestined to be saved or damned. NO! To understand the words of the apostles in their writings look for the "key words" and in this case it is "given"

John 17
Jesus Prays for His Disciples (all through this part you see the word "given" to the apostles.

6 “I have manifested Your name to the men whom You have given Me out of the world. They were Yours, You gave them to Me, and they have kept Your word. 7 Now they have known that all things which You have given Me are from You. 8 For I have given to them the words which You have given Me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came forth from You; and they have believed that You sent Me.

9 “I pray for them. I do not pray for the world but for those whom You have given Me, for they are Yours. 10 And all Mine are Yours, and Yours are Mine, and I am glorified in them. 11 Now I am no longer in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep through Your name those whom You have given Me, that they may be one as We are. 12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in Your name. Those whom You gave Me I have kept; and none of them is lost except the son of perdition, that the Scripture might be fulfilled. 13 But now I come to You, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have My joy fulfilled in themselves. 14 I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 15 I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one. 16 They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 17 Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth. 18 As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world. 19 And for their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they also may be sanctified by the truth.

Jesus Prays for All Believers (God has not predestined these, they have free-will) Jesus sets them on a path of glorification which He gives them - His glory.

20 “I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; 21 that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22 And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: 23 I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me.

24 “Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world. 25 O righteous Father! The world has not known You, but I have known You; and these have known that You sent Me. 26 And I have declared to them Your name, and will declare it, that the love with which You loved Me may be in them, and I in them.”

Last edited:

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Are they all different words for the same thing?
Are some more powerful or weaker than others?
:My2c: We can only understand the meaning of these descriptions if we know what the Bible says about them.
Claiming that the demons are the spirits of the Nephilim is going way beyond scripture, and draws upon the idea of immortal souls, which the Bible does not teach. The Nephilim were destroyed in the flood...that was its purpose...to eliminate these monstrosities from existence and to force their errant fathers back to the spirit realm.

Any 'larger than normal humans', like the sons of Anak or Goliath and his brother, were merely abnormally tall or large by comparison to others, (as some are even today) but they were by inference called "Nephilim" by descendants of the flood survivors. The Bible however, assures us that they were all destroyed. Nothing of flesh survived the flood. (Genesis 7:21-24)

I believe that the Bible explains things quite clearly...the original serpent was "satan the devil" (Revelation 12:7-9).....and the Revelation speaks about his "angels". So the ruler of the demons is satan, and the demons are wicked angels who were corrupted by their leader.

"Satan" (satanas) means "adversary (one who opposes another in purpose or act)"......and "devil" (diabolos) means "prone to slander, slanderous, accusing falsely". (Strongs) These describe satan's characteristics, but these designations are not his name. God has never allowed satan's name to be revealed.

Then we have have the name "Lucifer" which means "shining one" or "light bearer" and is never applied to the devil in scripture. It appears only once in scripture and was directed to the King of Babylon.

Another name in scripture is “Beelzebub” which is a designation applied to Satan who is identified as 'the prince, or ruler, of the demons'. (Matthew 12:24) It literally means "Lord of the Flies".
omg

"Unclean spirits" refer to the demons who are spiritually "unclean" in God's eyes. Anything that was "unclean" from the standpoint of God's worship was unacceptable. Animals for example, were either "clean" or "unclean" for sacrifice.
So all in all the Bible answers those questions....or that is what the Bible tells me....:smlhmm:

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If somebody has an "unclean spirit" does that mean they have a demon, or does it mean they like being among dirt and squalour and have filthy habits, and also like lying, cheating and stealing etc because it's in their character and personality?

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is a key word in this and it is "given." Those God "gave" His Son in predestination were only the holy apostles. Jesus prays for them, BUT ALSO prays for all those (us) who believe their words.

False doctrines about predestination are that we all are predestined to be saved or damned. NO! To understand the words of the apostles in their writings look for the "key words" and in this case it is "given"

John 17
Jesus Prays for His Disciples (all through this part you see the word "given" to the apostles.

6 “I have manifested Your name to the men whom You have given Me out of the world. They were Yours, You gave them to Me, and they have kept Your word. 7 Now they have known that all things which You have given Me are from You. 8 For I have given to them the words which You have given Me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came forth from You; and they have believed that You sent Me.

9 “I pray for them. I do not pray for the world but for those whom You have given Me, for they are Yours. 10 And all Mine are Yours, and Yours are Mine, and I am glorified in them. 11 Now I am no longer in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep through Your name those whom You have given Me, that they may be one as We are. 12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in Your name. Those whom You gave Me I have kept; and none of them is lost except the son of perdition, that the Scripture might be fulfilled. 13 But now I come to You, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have My joy fulfilled in themselves. 14 I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 15 I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one. 16 They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 17 Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth. 18 As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world. 19 And for their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they also may be sanctified by the truth.

Jesus Prays for All Believers (God has not predestined these, they have free-will) Jesus sets them on a path of glorification which He gives them - His glory.

20 “I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; 21 that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22 And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: 23 I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me.

24 “Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world. 25 O righteous Father! The world has not known You, but I have known You; and these have known that You sent Me. 26 And I have declared to them Your name, and will declare it, that the love with which You loved Me may be in them, and I in them.”

V24 is referring to all believers not just the apostles, and comes after where Jesus has talked about those who will believe in Christ who are not apostles.
The word 'ALSO' is pointing to the separate group he had just introduced in v20

24 “Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world.

And we have a sure word about that pointed out by Christ in John 6 in much of the chapter, he is referring to all who believe not talking about the apostles only.
Referring to any and all who do come, not just apostles.
37 All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out.

The ones who come to Christ as believers have all been taught by God.
44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day.
45 It is written in the prophets, ‘And they shall all be taught by God.’ Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me.

God must grant for someone to come to Christ, that is what it means to be given to Christ by God.
If they are not granted this, then they will never believe.
Knowing Christ is by direct revelation from God the Father to a person, by His Spirit, and not by the flesh can anyone know God and Christ. So being saved is entirely dependent on if God has granted you to know the Godhead. Jesus points this out here, that without God granting you to come to Christ you will never believe.

63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life. 64 But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him. 65 And He said, “Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father.”

Then we get more confirming of this here in Luke 10. about who gets to know who Christ is, meaning salvation is by God willing you to know Christ. Only then are you saved, life by the Spirit, not by the flesh (from your own reasoning mind). If you dont know Him, then your not a saved person.

21 In that hour Jesus rejoiced in the Spirit and said, “I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and revealed them to babes. Even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Your sight. 22 All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows who the Son is except the Father, and who the Father is except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
V24 is referring to all believers not just the apostles, and comes after where Jesus has talked about those who will believe in Christ who are not apostles.
The word 'ALSO' is pointing to the separate group he had just introduced in v20

24 “Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world.

And we have a sure word about that pointed out by Christ in John 6 in much of the chapter, he is referring to all who believe not talking about the apostles only.
Referring to any and all who do come, not just apostles.
37 All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out.

The ones who come to Christ as believers have all been taught by God.
44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day.
45 It is written in the prophets, ‘And they shall all be taught by God.’ Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me.

God must grant for someone to come to Christ, that is what it means to be given to Christ by God.
If they are not granted this, then they will never believe.
Knowing Christ is by direct revelation from God the Father to a person, by His Spirit, and not by the flesh can anyone know God and Christ. So being saved is entirely dependent on if God has granted you to know the Godhead. Jesus points this out here, that without God granting you to come to Christ you will never believe.

63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life. 64 But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him. 65 And He said, “Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father.”

Then we get more confirming of this here in Luke 10. about who gets to know who Christ is, meaning salvation is by God willing you to know Christ. Only then are you saved, life by the Spirit, not by the flesh (from your own reasoning mind). If you dont know Him, then your not a saved person.

21 In that hour Jesus rejoiced in the Spirit and said, “I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and revealed them to babes. Even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Your sight. 22 All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows who the Son is except the Father, and who the Father is except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him.

Thank you. I took another look at 24 and see that it is indeed the apostles he wrote that last paragraph about, but you made me look again. Verses 20-23 is about us. But what he says in 24 is in addition to what He first prayed about the apostles. Go back and check for yourself. Jesus wouldn't give us something He didn't give His apostles first. I am still sure that 'gave' and 'given' are indeed what separates the two groups, which nullifies a false doctrine that doesn't coincide with God's nature and will.

“Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world. 25 O righteous Father! The world has not known You, but I have known You; and these have known that You sent Me. 26 And I have declared to them Your name, and will declare it, that the love with which You loved Me may be in them, and I in them.”

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
If somebody has an "unclean spirit" does that mean they have a demon, or does it mean they like being among dirt and squalour and have filthy habits, and also like lying, cheating and stealing etc because it's in their character and personality?

The fallen or Adamic is separated from God. This is the spirit in the UNBELIEVER. So, when the Unbeliever BELIEVES in Christ, God accepts this faith to give them.

1. "The Gift of Salvation"

2. "The Gift of Righteousness"

To have received these, upon INITIAL faith in Christ, is to be :

1.) Forgiven all sin

2. ) Born again = Spiritually

An "Unclean Spirit" is a demonic spirit.
Jesus, apostles, believers, can deal with them.
The Gadarene with the "Legion" of demons, had a lot of unclean spirits in Him. (Gerasene demonica)

Judas......now this is a different situation, as the NT tells use that SATAN entered Him.
Not a demon. Not just an unclean spirit, but "Satan".
So, that's a upper level "devil"...was that apostle.
He is the son of perdition, and interesting enough, so is the "Anti-Christ".