Understanding the Law vs. Grace

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
H we are declaring the righteousness of God

The Law isn't the righteousness of God.
The law is just a set of moral standards , rules and regulations....that God gave to show us that we can't meet them.
The Gift of Righteousness that God gives to the believer is Righteousness that is much more then just a legal moral standard, met.
God gives the believer 'Christ's righteousness".

Here is the reality.
Saul the Pharisee, who became Paul the "apostle to the gentiles" said....>"I kept the law". "i was blameless in the Law".
And now that i understand the Cross and the Righteousness of God, i SEE the law and the effort to to keep it to try to be righteous...

""Is DUNG."" Philippians 3

So, when a person is teaching that the Law is equal to God, as that is the idea , when a person tries to present the law as "God's Righteousness", then the person is diminishing God.
God and Gods' righteousness is way above the law, and that is why Jesus would heal on the Shabbat (Sabbath).
That is why Jesus would say...>"you are forgiven" even when the Law was saying..>"you are a sinner, whore".

Last edited:
Reactions: Keturah

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Co-dependence" is not a dirty word in Christianity if by it I mean that Christians have chosen to live in dependence upon the virtues of Christ. We can produce no fruit and no love apart from Christ. We must live in perpetuity in dependence upon Christ in order to live in love.

The difference between the Law and Grace is this. Under the Law one sin took men away from the promise of eternal life with God. But under the system of Grace, no sin can ever separate us from God, assuming that we have truly embraced this "co-dependence," as I call it.

The Law separated Man from God without the promise of eternal restoration. Animal sacrifices only worked on a temporary basis to keep Israel in fellowship with God until a permanent fix could be had.

But Grace already has the permanent fix. Whenever we sin we merely need to confess Jesus' blood to cover our sin. Still, we must live this "co-dependent" life in which true restoration means we go back to relying on Christ for his righteousness.

"Sin" is turning away from dependence upon Christ to try to establish our own righteousness, or to turn away from God's righteousness entirely. True conversion is our confession that we need to depend on Christ. And so, repentance is simply a return to that original agreement, to depend upon Christ for righteousness.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I have no need to prove to you that you have hate. The Law says we all have it
3 We know that we have come to know him if we keep his commands.

Your first sentence is just absurd ridiculous nonsense, regarding any Born Again Christian.

Your John verse says you know Jesus if you keep His commandments, and Jesus said that if you keep His words you are his disciple.
However, Jesus said you will depart from Him, if He does not know you., and that is the issue that you are missing from your Salvation Theology

See, thousands of people who died and went to hell today, kept commandments, were water baptized, and were disciples, and still went to hell like a bullet.
They are in Hell right now, confused...... "but i kept commandments, i took communion, i gave to the church, i tried to be like Jesus".

Why are they in Hell?

Because """"Jesus said you must be born again"""
To be born again, means that God has forgiven all your sin and has birthed your spirit into His Spirit by the Holy Spirit.
Thats how you go to Heaven.

= There is Salvation, and this believer did no works, nor kept any commandments..... All they did was go to the Cross and Trust in Christ.

See that dying Thief on the Cross? He's in Heaven now, and he did not keep any Law or Commandment. And was never water baptized.

He's not a "special case".. He is just a Believer.. He is literally a DEATH BED conversion......

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Law isn't the righteousness of God.
The law is just a set of moral standards , rules and regulations....that God gave to show us that we can't meet them.
The Gift of Righteousness that God gives to the believer is Righteousness that is much more then just a legal moral standard, met.
God gives the believer 'Christ's righteousness".

Here is the reality.
Saul the Pharisee, who became Paul the "apostle to the gentiles" said....>"I kept the law". "i was blameless in the Law".
And now that i understand the Cross and the Righteousness of God, i SEE the law and the effort to to keep it to try to be righteous...

""Is DUNG."" Philippians 3

So, when a person is teaching that the Law is equal to God, as that is the idea , when a person tries to present the law as "God's Righteousness", then the person is diminishing God.
God and Gods' righteousness is way above the law, and that is why Jesus would heal on the Shabbat (Sabbath).
That is why Jesus would say...>"you are forgiven" even when the Law was saying..>"you are a sinner, whore".
I can disprove that your claim "the Law isn't the righteousness of God" in an instant, and I already have. You just ignore the proof. You ignore or depreciate the word of God. Even if you're stating this in a different context, you should explain it rather than just dismiss what I've stated as if it is untrue.

Rom 7.12 So then, the Law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good.

Read Psalm 119. It is chalk full of proof that the Law is "righteousness." It was a system by which Israel was only temporarily justified, but it bore testimony to the righteousness of God, even if Man himself could not be more than "blameless" under that system. They were "blameless" because of God's mercy, and not because they were perfectly righteous. They were viewed as "righteous" not because they were sinless, but because they consistently obeyed God.

You may be referring to the fact that Christ revealed his righteousness apart from the Law, not because he was righteous and the Law was not, but only because he revealed a righteousness that could give sinful Man hope for eternal life. Under the Law, sin would always disqualify Man for eternal life. But the righteousness that Christ came to show us gave sinful Man the hope of eternal life because it was based on grace, and not on law.

You have said that my definition of "Grace" as a system of "co-dependence" is "law," when it is not "law" in the sense you are describing it. You are repeating biblical phrases without distinguishing between Law as a system and law as a principle essential to both righteousness and repentance. Rather than be contrary, try to understand the point?

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
The Law separated Man from God without the promise of eternal restoration.

Randy Klutth, when Adam rebelled there was no Law. There was no Moses.. There was no 10 Commandments.

INIQUITY.... REBELLION, separated Adam and Eve from God.......Not the Law that was not yet given.

The "word" was given, but not the Law.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
"Sin" is turning away from dependence upon Christ to try to establish our own righteousness,

Actually a false Gospel is to teach that Salvation is "Christ saved me and now if i keep the law/commandment, i stay saved".
or
Salvation is The Cross + The Law and Commandments.

That's all Legalism that denies the Cross.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I

Rom 7.12 So then, the Law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good.

Read Psalm 119. It is chalk full of proof that the Law is "righteousness."

"if righteousness comes by the Law then Christ is dead in vain".

Paul kept the Law.= useless.

Philippians 3

See, for Paul to say that the law is good and the commands are holy, is not to claim or pretend they are equal to God's righteousness.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
But the righteousness that Christ came to show us gave sinful Man the hope of eternal life because it was based on grace, and not on law.

The Law and the Commandments can't provide any righteousness, they only require it.
ANd because we can't do it, God came to the Cross to provide His own Righteousness that is not law, and its not commandments.
Its His.
Jesus is Salvation and Eternal Life.

So, when you read that the born again are "made righteous", ... then that is wholly apart from the Law, and also while they are "yet a sinner". "ungodly". as that is what God's Holiness does when it touches SIN.
It cleanses it, "white as snow" as if it never happened at all.
Complete clearance, never to be remembered again. "redeemed by the blood of the Lamb", because "Jesus is the one time ETERNAL Sacrifice for sin"... because "God hath made Jesus to be sin for us".....
The law and commandments can't do that for anyone...

"""""For if a law had been given that could impart righteousness, then righteousness would certainly have come by the law.""""

So, because the Law has nothing to do with God's Righteousness, it has nothing to do with maintaining it or being a part of it, after the person is born again.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Law and the Commandments can't provide any righteousness, they only require it.
ANd because we can't do it, God came to the Cross to provide His own Righteousness that is not law, and its not commandments.
Its His.
Jesus is Salvation and Eternal Life.

So, when you read that the born again are "made righteous", ... then that is wholly apart from the Law, and also while they are "yet a sinner". "ungodly". as that is what God's Holiness does when it touches SIN.
It cleanses it, "white as snow" as if it never happened at all.
Complete clearance, never to be remembered again. "redeemed by the blood of the Lamb", because "Jesus is the one time ETERNAL Sacrifice for sin"... because "God hath made Jesus to be sin for us".....
The law and commandments can't do that for anyone...

"""""For if a law had been given that could impart righteousness, then righteousness would certainly have come by the law.""""

So, because the Law has nothing to do with God's Righteousness, it has nothing to do with maintaining it or being a part of it, after the person is born again.
I have no wish to argue with an argumentative, contrarian person. There will be nothing you accept but what you say yourself, or what you think the Scriptures say. Incorrigible people will remain that way until God works grace into their lives.

I say that not because I wish to diminish your thinking. I'm only saying this because I've explained the difference between Law as a system and law as a principle, and you completely ignore this, wishing only to disprove something you *think* I'm saying. Have a good life.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I have no wish to argue with an argumentative, contrarian person. There will be nothing you accept but what you say yourself, or what you think the Scriptures say. Incorrigible people will remain that way until God works grace into their lives.

Your judgmental opinion of me, is simply not based in reality. And that you try to pretend that you are not teaching....
= """ be saved to keep the Law,"""" , when in fact you are, is just very unfortunate.

See, You presented The Cross of Christ as this.... (your quote)

"""""God (He) would forgive man if he was willing to return to the standard of obedience God requires.""""

And that is a lie.
God makes no bargain with a sinner, to then save them.....so your Legalism is showing its Cross rejection, Randy Kluth.

Salvation is a GIFT, not a "your willing to return" Swap for Grace.

Here is the thing, RandyKluth.

"God's Righteous" is proven to have become a Person, when they are "in Christ"..>"One with God", "made righteous"... born again.
The Kingdom of God, is where the Born Again Exist, and there is no Law or commandments, in the KOG.
The Law and the Commandments, were made for sinners down here....., not for the Born again who exist "in Christ" who are "seated in Heavenly places" already.

Last edited:

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no "system" of Grace.
I have no wish to discuss this with someone who cannot agree to basic terminology. Grace is a covenant system, as defined by Paul. If you cannot understand this, you're purely an arguer. That the Law and Grace are two distinct covenant systems is plain.

John 1.17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I have no wish to discuss this with someone who cannot agree to basic terminology.

If you use NT Terminology, or Bible Terminology, or Pauline Theology "terminology" then at least you are not using your own... "system" terminology.

Start there and we can have a good conversation.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no wish to discuss this with someone who cannot agree to basic terminology. Grace is a covenant system, as defined by Paul. If you cannot understand this, you're purely an arguer. That the Law and Grace are two distinct covenant systems is plain.

John 1.17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.
Grace has been around since adam first sin.

Abraham received grace when he believed.

Salvation by grace through faith has been the gospel from the beginning..

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Grace has been around since adam first sin.

Abraham received grace when he believed.

Salvation by grace through faith has been the gospel from the beginning..
I agree, if you're talking about "grace" in the generic sense of God granting a measure of mercy. God doesn't change. If He has mercy now, He's always been willing to show mercy.

But I'm talking about a system the Bible calls "Grace." It is free from the 613 requirements of the Law, which involved temporary fixes for the problem of Israel's sin. The system of Grace did not require them because Christ's death fulfilled all of those things in a single permanent fix.

The Law, as a system, could never permanently resolve the problems of sin and death. Christ's atonement did all that.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you use NT Terminology, or Bible Terminology, or Pauline Theology "terminology" then at least you are not using your own... "system" terminology.

Start there and we can have a good conversation.
Your contrarian style prevents our having a good conversation. Your arguments over terminology reflect a wish to prove my beliefs wrong, as opposed to any attempt to understand what I've been saying. Therefore, I have little confidence we can have a good conversation at all. However, Hope springs eternal....

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree, if you're talking about "grace" in the generic sense of God granting a measure of mercy. God doesn't change. If He has mercy now, He's always been willing to show mercy.

But I'm talking about a system the Bible calls "Grace." It is free from the 613 requirements of the Law, which involved temporary fixes for the problem of Israel's sin. The system of Grace did not require them because Christ's death fulfilled all of those things in a single permanent fix.

The Law, as a system, could never permanently resolve the problems of sin and death. Christ's atonement did all that.
Grace is nothing bu Gods riches at Christs expense.. It is also unmerited favor. It can not be earned.. I am not sure what you mean by a system, Grace is not a system, it is a means..

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your judgmental opinion of me, is simply not based in reality. And that you try to pretend that you are not teaching....
= """ be saved to keep the Law,"""" , when in fact you are, is just very unfortunate.
You may think that, but it's actually slanderous for you to claim I'm teaching Christians need to keep the Law of Moses. I have *never* said that! You are a false witness.
See, You presented The Cross of Christ as this.... (your quote)

"""""God (He) would forgive man if he was willing to return to the standard of obedience God requires.""""

And that is a lie.
God makes no bargain with a sinner, to then save them.....so your Legalism is showing its Cross rejection, Randy Kluth.

Salvation is a GIFT, not a "your willing to return" Swap for Grace.
You seem unable to comprehend that giving Eternal Life as a free gift does not nullify the need for our repentance in order to be saved. Our repentance is not "earning" our Salvation. Rather, it is meeting the conditions necessary for us to receive that free gift.

If someone, on the other side of a river, says, "I have a free gift for you here on this side of the river," you just have to cross the river first." You cannot say that crossing the river is "earning" the free gift. It is just meeting the condition necessary for getting that free gift.

In the same way the Bible absolutely requires *repentance* if one is to receive Christ for Salvation. It is not "earning" Eternal Life, but rather, meeting the conditions necessary for receiving Eternal Life *as a free gift.* We must give up our own life or self-autonomy in order to receive his own spiritual life, lordship, and Salvation.

But you wish to avoid *repentance* altogether, falsely thinking that *repentance* is a form of "earning Salvation." As such, you avoid all responsibility with respect to righteousness, which the Bible *absolutely requires.*

This makes you an antinomian in principle. And it renders you anti-biblical theologically. Your wish to promote sloppy grace drives you to neglect what "repentance" really means in a biblical sense.

And this is the whole reason I created this post, because that it what I experienced in my Lutheran upbringing--a false sense of repentance and grace. True grace requires that we *repent* in order to receive Christ. We must deny ourselves in order to receive him and his free gift of righteousness. He earned it for us, but we must take that gift, meeting the standards he requires. And clearly, he required *repentance.*

We cannot imitate Salvation--we must receive it from Christ--we cannot do it even if we believe he gave Salvation to us. He hasn't really given it to us if we hold onto our own ways while claiming we believe in his Salvation.

We may recognize that we could not and cannot produce Salvation apart from receiving it from him. He is the one who alone has earned our Salvation. But we still need to receive it. We still need to give up our own ways to receive his ways--something only he could and did do.

This was part of the fundamental Gospel message that the Bible says he came to bring! I have nothing more to say on this, unless you address this fundamental biblical requirement to *repent.*

You define *repentance* as turning from doubt in Christ's forgiveness to belief in Christ's forgiveness. How shallow! It is not pure *belief* that saves, but true *repentance,* turning from our own ways to Christ's ways.

Unless we choose to become *like Christ,* we have not shown true repentance according to 1 John 2, as I already quoted to you. But you ignore all of my points, wishing only to spout your same statements over and over that simple *belief* saves us.

And we are told that *belief* alone is practiced by demons, which accomplishes nothing--not even if we wish to believe Christ forgave us. Forgiveness does come at a price, even though only Christ earned Salvation for us. We must repent of our own ways in order to accept his ways. Have fun "believing" in Salvation going your own way!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Grace is nothing bu Gods riches at Christs expense.. It is also unmerited favor. It can not be earned.. I am not sure what you mean by a system, Grace is not a system, it is a means..
That is completely and utterly false--sorry! I've already quoted to Behold where the Apostle John compares the Law of Moses with "Grace" as a *system.* You'll have to answer that before denying that "Grace" is also a system.

Again, I would agree with you that "grace," in the generic sense, is merely a principle, or as you call it, a "means." But biblically, it also is an abbreviated term for the New Covenant, a system that stands distinct from the Law of Moses in which Israel had to observe 613 laws.

John 1.14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

15 (John testified concerning him. He cried out, saying, “This is the one I spoke about when I said, ‘He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’”) 16 Out of his fullness we have all received grace in place of grace already given. 17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.

Gal 3.18 For if the inheritance depends on the law, then it no longer depends on the promise; but God in his grace gave it to Abraham through a promise.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is completely and utterly false--sorry! I've already quoted to Behold where the Apostle John compares the Law of Moses with "Grace" as a *system.* You'll have to answer that before denying that "Grace" is also a system.

Again, I would agree with you that "grace," in the generic sense, is merely a principle, or as you call it, a "means." But biblically, it also is an abbreviated term for the New Covenant, a system that stands distinct from the Law of Moses in which Israel had to observe 613 laws.

John 1.14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

15 (John testified concerning him. He cried out, saying, “This is the one I spoke about when I said, ‘He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’”) 16 Out of his fullness we have all received grace in place of grace already given. 17 For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.

Gal 3.18 For if the inheritance depends on the law, then it no longer depends on the promise; but God in his grace gave it to Abraham through a promise.
Did Abraham receive grace and truth when He believed God and it was reckoned to him as righteousness?

Paul said it was not because he worked. but because of Grace..