Unity of Knowledge

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For some time now (recent century) many Christians have encountered a dearth of spiritual growth, and in my opinion it’s undeniably obvious that this is derived from a twofold lack of sufficient Bible reading/studying, and of less desire for church fellowship, both of which are a priority in Scripture (Mat 4:4; Heb 10:25); and is necessary for for sufficient leading (Rom 8:14) and conforming (Rom 8:13) of the Spirit’s ongoing work within the believer’s lifestyle. It’s my understanding that in one degree or another all who have been reborn are “being conformed to the image of His Son” (Rom 8:29), but the less activity of church fellowship and Bible study, the less progression there will be in the conforming process—especially concerning encouragement—which mostly comes by Christians “exhorting one another.”

Of all that the Holy Spirit of God uses to continue His guidance and enablement within the believer, His Word (2Ti 3:16; 2Pe 1:21) is the sole tangible or physical instrument available, for all else is evaluated by the Word! This makes studying the Scriptures one of the most important (fellowship is the other means) practical means by which believers grow. This answers to the Enemy’s initial opposition to God’s Word (“Yea, hath God said – Gen 3:1) and his continued attempts against it, in order to interfere with fellowship (but never union) in this life between God and those who are His. It stands to reason that since the written Word of God is the most significant instrument by which “faith comes” (Rom 10:17), distraction from the Word is required to weaken the strength of faith by reducing or eliminating the ongoing reading and studying it. Faith never diminishes (reduced), but is ever on the increase in strength, according to the degree of knowledge and understanding of the Word of God.

At the time of the discovery concerning the recent finds of the Sinaiticus (1859) and Vaticanus (1881—abounded for 500 yrs.), there were Bible scholars who actually believed these codices represented a recovery of the “the pure Word of God”! The major source of the Minority Text consist of the codices Sinaiticus and Vaticanus. The former was found in a monastery at the foot of Mt. Sinai in 1859. It was discovered by Constantin (von) Tischendorf, who realized it was part of the OT and a complete copy of the NT in Greek. The latter (codex B) laid perdue on a library shelf in the Vatican, which was abandoned (circa 1350 AD), and then discovered in 1881.

Here are some brief examples concerning omitted readings in most of the modern translations:

Most neglect to include the inferred words “the brother of” in 2Sam 21:19, rendering the errant reading that “Elhanan killed Goliath.” These three words were unintentionally neglected to be entered in all manuscript copies of the Hebrew OT, thus without the inference the passage contradicts 1Chronicles 20:5 (and the entirety of David’s encounter with the giant), which correctly reads “Elhanan the son of Jair slew Lahmi the brother of Goliath,”—and no italics in this phrase!

A far greater problem concerning omissions lies within the Greek NT, containing numerous words and passages not included in the translations. A few of hundreds of significant examples is 1Jn 5:7. This passage is known to be the most direct description of the Trinitarian doctrine, but the passage is nearly entirely omitted in all Minority-based translations. It’s known as the Johannine Comma, which is absent in many sources, but nevertheless was supported enough somewhere for Erasmus and other scholars to include it in his Greek New Testament (1516), which is known as the Textus Receptus (received text).

The King James translators italicized words not found in manuscript copies, in order to maintain non-contradictive readings (e.g. “the brother of”); and let it be noticed that where this passage appears in the KJV, the words are void of italicization. Two other examples are John 3:13. The Majority Text reads “no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.” The Minority text translations omits “even the Son of man which is in heaven,” which manifests His omnipresence, being Deity. In Ephesians 3:9, the traditional reading is “hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ.” The modern translations omit “through Jesus Christ.”

Some of the following contains excerpts from the book “Which Bible,” by David Otis Fuller, D.D., pages 191-193. This book and two others like it of which he wrote, reveals historical conflicts over the Scriptures of the Word of God! Ground zero of this debate lies between the significant differences between the two primary groups of manuscript copies from which all Bible translations are derived; Majority Text and Minority Text. To me the most significant point to remember concerning this issue is that the former consists of most extant manuscript copies (there are no known extant original autographs or writings), and the latter are few in number, esp. in comparison to the former.

The teachings of four theologians who are said to have most “contributed both to the heresy and final issuing of manuscripts of a corrupt New Testament”:

1. Justin Martyr (100–165 AD); “originally a pagan and of pagan parentage . . . his teachings were of a heretical nature. Even as a Christian teacher he continued to where the robes of a pagan philosopher.” With Martyr, “We see how muddy the stream of pure Christian doctrine was running among the heretical sects fifty years after the death of the apostle John (100 ad).”

2. Tatain (2nd century); “Embraced the Gnostic heresy.” “Wrote a Harmony of the Gospels which was called the Diatessaron, meaning four-inone. The Gospels were so notoriously corrupt that a bishop of Syria was obliged to throw out two hundred copies of this Diatessaron, since the church members were mistaking it for the true Gospel.”

3. Clement of Alexandria (150 –215 AD); Tatian’s pupil, who founded a school in Alexandria which supported propaganda within the “heretical lines.” “Clement expressly tells us that he would not hand down Christian teachings, pure and unmixed, but rather clothed with precepts of pagan philosophy.” The entirety of heretical teachers “were possessed by Clement, and he freely quoted from their corrupted manuscripts as if they were the pure words of Scripture” (Dean Burgon, The Revision Revised, p. 336). Clements “influence in the depravation of Christianity was tremendous. But his greatest contribution was the direction given to the studies and activities of Origen, his famous pupil.”

4. Origen of Alexandria (184–253 AD); he “did the most of all to create and give direction to the forces of apostasy down through the centuries.” He said “the Scriptures are of little use to those who understand them as they are written.” Being “a pupil of Clement, he learned the teachings of the Gnostic heresy.” Phillip Schaff (1819-1893) said, “His (Origen) predilection for Plato (pagan philosopher) led him into many grand and fascinating errors.” Origen believed and taught that the human soul existed “from eternity before it was incarnated and that after death it migrated to a higher or lower form of life in accordance to the deeds done in the body. He also believed that Satan and the devils would be saved,” and he also manipulated “the whole Law and Gospel into an allegory” (this article cannot include the hundreds of other erroneous heresies he propagated). D. Ira Maurice Price (1856-1939) said that “the Emperor Constantine gave orders that fifty copies of Origen’s fifth column in his ‘Hexapla’ (the Hebrew Bible in six versions) be prepared for use in churches,” and “it has been suggested that the Codex Vaticanus may have been one of these copies” (Which Bible, pg. 3).

Frederick Ambrose Scrivener (1813-1891) wrote that “It is no less true to fact than paradoxical in sound, that the worst corruptions to which the New Testament has ever been subjected, originated within a hundred years after it was composed; that Irenaeus (150 AD), and the African Fathers, and the whole Western, with a portion of the Syrian Church, used far inferior manuscripts to those employed by Stunica, Erasmus and Stephens thirteen centuries later, when molding the Textus Receptus.” (Received Text, which content and context has the least variance of all translations with the Majority Text).

“According to J.W. Burgon (1813-1888 – wrote “The Revision Revised”) Dean of Chichester, there once were many ancient manuscripts containing the Byzantine text (circa 350), manuscripts much older than B (Vaticanus) and Aleph (codex Sinaiticus). But they were read so constantly and copied so frequently that finally they wore out and perished.” This answers to the reason why so “few Byzantine manuscripts are extant today”; and is why non-Byzantine manuscripts (Alexandrian or Minority Text) “have survived to this present day, because they were rejected by the Greek Church as faulty and so were not used.” It was also said that “the scribes usually destroyed their exemplars when they had copied the sacred books,” thus the Majority Text manuscripts are not as old as those within the Minority Text. Some examples of translations which are derived from the Majority Text are KJV, NKJV, Young’s Literal Translation and Webster’s translation, et al.

* Gnostic heresy was principally based of the concept that just having knowledge of God saves you. “Gnostics considered the principal element of salvation to be direct knowledge of the supreme divinity in the form of mystical or esoteric insight. Many Gnostic texts deal not in concepts of sin and repentance, but with illusion and enlightenment.”

“In most Gnostic systems, the sufficient cause of salvation is this "knowledge of" ("acquaintance with") the divine.” –Etymology, Gnosticism.

Reactions: marks

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For some time now (recent century) many Christians have encountered a dearth of spiritual growth, and in my opinion it’s undeniably obvious that this is derived from a twofold lack of sufficient Bible reading/studying, and of less desire for church fellowship, both of which are a priority in Scripture (Mat 4:4; Heb 10:25); and is necessary for for sufficient leading (Rom 8:14) and conforming (Rom 8:13) of the Spirit’s ongoing work within the believer’s lifestyle. It’s my understanding that in one degree or another all who have been reborn are “being conformed to the image of His Son” (Rom 8:29), but the less activity of church fellowship and Bible study, the less progression there will be in the conforming process—especially concerning encouragement—which mostly comes by Christians “exhorting one another.”

Sorry, I can't buy into this "conspiracy theory," that the errors of some of the Early Church Fathers made them "devils" in the Church, spawning new corrupt versions of the New Testament. I welcome all the copies we have of the Greek NT, Alexandrian or Byzantine. I think most translations today try to include input from all of these, as well?

Besides, the idea that only one traditional stream of translation was "inspired" is bogus. Erasmus made a mess of things when he copied the Latin version of the last six verses of the book of Revelation back into Greek, instead of using source material.

As I understand it, his original translation was full of errors, and were based on an inferior number of sources. He was rushing to be the 1st to put the Greek text of the Bible into print! The KJV is undoubtedly a reasonably good version, but is, I think, the product of many modifications and corrections.

There is no absolutely "pure" copy of the Greek New Testament. We have to trust God that faithful men of God passed on Jesus' words through the apostles and into the historic churches. When faithful men of God live faithful lives, and they compare their spiritual experience with what the Bible says about their spiritual experience, there is a strong basis not just for translation but also for understanding.

Origen certainly had errors, and anytime you have studied pagan philosophy you're bound to have trouble synthesizing different ways of expressing truth, leading to error. But Origen was a true Christian and one of the most profound Christian writers in history. It's easy to look back and find fault, when we sit comfortably far after the times they lived through, judging by hindsight.

But I don't see the minimal differences in Bible versions, such as the "Comma" controversy," etc. as being critical in our Christian growth. Also, omitting "Christ as Creator" in a single passage doesn't force out the idea that Christ created in the rest of Scriptures! In fact, for every omission there is another passage that makes up for it elsewhere.

We don't grow spiritually only by the content and volume of biblical material. This material helps us to avoid error, and does give us food to grow on. However, it is our own spiritual relationship with God, and His word in our hearts, when we obey, that gives us growth and true spiritual knowledge. Fellowship and Bible Study helps, but even more critical is our own relationship with God.

And so, it doesn't help us to allow ourselves to get overly critical with other Christians. We should correct them, but not make them into demons. Otherwise, we could be setting back our own spiritual growth by allowing a critical spirit to take root in our lives, and in our relationship with other believers.

2 Thes 3.14 Take special note of anyone who does not obey our instruction in this letter. Do not associate with them, in order that they may feel ashamed. 15 Yet do not regard them as an enemy, but warn them as you would a fellow believer.

Reactions: 101G

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, I can't buy into this "conspiracy theory," that the errors of some of the Early Church Fathers made them "devils" in the Church, spawning new corrupt versions of the New Testament. I welcome all the copies we have of the Greek NT, Alexandrian or Byzantine. I think most translations today try to include input from all of these, as well?
Thanks for the input, part of which I agree. I chose books that were not out to be malevolent but just to "reprove" or expose "works of darkness" (Eph 5:11). If the wrongs are true, I don't see them as "conspiracy," in which case it should be done.

Concerning Erasmus' Received Text (1522 3rd edition printed), it wouldn't have become used the most if it didn't substantially agree with the majority of existing manuscripts, esp. by the time of his third edition which gave him more time to produce it more carefully. Yet, it is fact that none of the recently found Alexandrian texts resemble the majority of all existing copies. Erasmus had opportunity to use the Vaticanus but rejected a number of it's readings in 1533. The majority of most manuscripts (Majority Text) have always been most preferred by most scholars.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for the input, part of which I agree. I chose books that were not out to be malevolent but just to "reprove" or expose "works of darkness" (Eph 5:11). If the wrongs are true, I don't see them as "conspiracy," in which case it should be done.

Concerning Erasmus' Received Text (1522 3rd edition printed), it wouldn't have become used the most if it didn't substantially agree with the majority of existing manuscripts, esp. by the time of his third edition which gave him more time to produce it more carefully. Yet, it is fact that none of the recently found Alexandrian texts resemble the majority of all existing copies. Erasmus had opportunity to use the Vaticanus but rejected a number of it's readings in 1533. The majority of most manuscripts (Majority Text) have always been most preferred by most scholars.

Nestle and Aland were scholars who felt the need to go beyond reference only to the Majority Text. And Bible Societies embrace Aland's text, which integrates or considers all of the various manuscripts--not just the Byzantine texts.

Normally, I like your contributions. But I cannot sign onto the King James only mentality that is so prevalent. My wife is English, and it's intolerable for me to accept King James English as the only legitimate way of explaining things! ;)

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nestle and Aland were scholars who felt the need to go beyond reference only to the Majority Text. And Bible Societies embrace Aland's text, which integrates or considers all of the various manuscripts--not just the Byzantine texts.
I appreciate your compliment on the articles I share, and like your comments which are pertinent to the subjects! I find it safest to side with translations that parallel most of the existing manuscripts (the Majority Text), which are ones mostly used during the last 5 centuries. Translations derived from the least amount of manuscripts (the Minority Text) make little to no use of most manuscripts, and such are the practices of the scholars who favor the two codices that make up most modern translations (Sinaiticus; Vaticanus).

It's my experience that the Majority Text, or Textus Receptus by Erasmus presents the most sensible choice because it maintains the greatest consistency in paralleling with most extant manuscript copies within the last 5 centuries.

All translations have their difficulties concerning originality due to additions and omissions, but I believe the Spirit's Word of God is within the translations which are derived from a compilation of most of the extant manuscripts that are mostly parallel in content first, then context apprehension (intended thought). Myself, I've chosen to remain with what engenders unity, which are translations that are mostly parallel in these two requisites!

I also consider this: Who is most likely to be trustworthy concerning good intentions? Scholars from traditional times when there was much less distraction by false teachings, or modern scholars in the midst of a multitudinous of false teachings.

God's blessings to the Family!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I appreciate your compliment on the articles I share, and like your comments which are pertinent to the subjects! I find it safest to side with translations that parallel most of the existing manuscripts (the Majority Text), which are ones mostly used during the last 5 centuries. Translations derived from the least amount of manuscripts (the Minority Text) make little to no use of most manuscripts, and such are the practices of the scholars who favor the two codices that make up most modern translations (Sinaiticus; Vaticanus).

It's my experience that the Majority Text, or Textus Receptus by Erasmus presents the most sensible choice because it maintains the greatest consistency in paralleling with most extant manuscript copies within the last 5 centuries.

All translations have their difficulties concerning originality due to additions and omissions, but I believe the Spirit's Word of God is within the translations which are derived from a compilation of most of the extant manuscripts that are mostly parallel in content first, then context apprehension (intended thought). Myself, I've chosen to remain with what engenders unity, which are translations that are mostly parallel in these two requisites!

I also consider this: Who is most likely to be trustworthy concerning good intentions? Scholars from traditional times when there was much less distraction by false teachings, or modern scholars in the midst of a multitudinous of false teachings.

God's blessings to the Family!

I have no problem with trusting the Majority Text. I just believe it's a mistake to ignore evidence when all texts in history show human error.

It is something we always need to deal with, in these wayward modern times or in the past. If God wanted to keep complete the original autographs, He could've done that. But he works with fallible people, who are given tools of critical thinking to keep reason above bias.

My brother is a student of this kind of study, and my arguments would be very poor in comparison with his. So I'll let those better than myself argue it. What's important is that we both appreciate each other, and share in common a love for the Majority Text! :)

07-07-07

Nov 18, 2018
Rust Belt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In our day, we translate in every nation under the sun to communicate with each other. Do we apply the same standard as we do with the Bible? Is all communication corrupt since there are slight translational issues?

Reactions: Wrangler

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no problem with trusting the Majority Text. I just believe it's a mistake to ignore evidence when all texts in history show human error.

It is something we always need to deal with, in these wayward modern times or in the past. If God wanted to keep complete the original autographs, He could've done that. But he works with fallible people, who are given tools of critical thinking to keep reason above bias.
Like your comments here. Myself, I've always been a "safety-in-numbers" person concerning these type of issues.

Reactions: Randy Kluth

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Majority Text reads “no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.” The Minority text translations omits “even the Son of man which is in heaven,” which manifests His omnipresence, being Deity. In Ephesians 3:9, the traditional reading is “hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ.” The modern translations omit “through Jesus Christ.”
This fact that Jesus was in heaven speaks to the nature of our lives also, as we are incarnated in bodies as Jesus is, yet we also have an heavenly existance, same as Jesus.

Much love!

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In fact, for every omission there is another passage that makes up for it elsewhere.
This is what I've found myself. Just the same, I prefer to use the Bible which has the greatest number of witnesses, and which has been preserved throughout the generations, which is the Majority Manuscript.

Did the true Word of God languish unseen in the sands of time, depriving God's people of His Word? For myself, I don't think so.

Much love!

Reactions: Netchaplain

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 14:26 "But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you."

1 Corinthians 2:10 "But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God."
1 Corinthians 2:11 "For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God."
1 Corinthians 2:12 "Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God."
1 Corinthians 2:13 "Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual."
1 Corinthians 2:14 "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."

Isaiah 28:9 "Whom shall he teach knowledge? and whom shall he make to understand doctrine? them that are weaned from the milk, and drawn from the breasts."
Isaiah 28:10 "For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:"

1 John 2:20 "But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things."

PICJAG
101G The "Spiritual Saboteur"

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is fact that Jesus was in heaven speaks to the nature of our lives also, as we are incarnated in bodies as Jesus is, yet we also have an heavenly existance, same as Jesus.

Much love!
Amen, and it's my opinion that the only way to use our heavenly-bound-home as encouragement in this life is in knowing the permanency of faith and salvation. I think there will be more Christians who could have used it for encouragement, than those who will.

Love ya Brother!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A far greater problem concerning omissions lies within the Greek NT, containing numerous words and passages not included in the translations. A few of hundreds of significant examples is 1Jn 5:7. This <CORRUPTED> passage is known to be the most direct description of the Trinitarian doctrine

Not this KJVism crap again!

Please tell me you have not failed to educate yourself that the KJV has many errors, that improvements were made in the last half Millenia and 1 John 5:7 is one of the worst infractions, imposing trinitarian doctrine onto the text. Source documents, better more reliable manuscripts, available now that weren't available then make it clear KJV's many errors.

Your entire line of reasoning is faulty. It is NOT Unity of Knowledge but Unity of Spirit that has changed the world. The divine Spirit of God's saving grace through his Son, not knowledge is what makes the difference.

7 So there are three testifying witnesses: 8 the Spirit, the water, and the blood. All three are in total agreement.
1 John 5:7-8 (Voice)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen, and it's my opinion that the only way to use our heavenly-bound-home as encouragement in this life is in knowing the permanency of faith and salvation. I think there will be more Christians who could have used it for encouragement, than those who will.

Love ya Brother!
This world is not my home! I'm just passing through!

Love you too!!

Much love!!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your entire line of reasoning is faulty. It is NOT Unity of Knowledge but Unity of Spirit that has changed the world. The divine Spirit of God's saving grace through his Son, not knowledge is what makes the difference.

Ephesians 4:13 KJV
Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

Knowledge is very important, but not just any knowledge, knowledge of Jesus. Unity of faith and knowledge. We know the same Jesus, and we know the same things about Him, and have the same faith in Him, and this is our unity.

Much love!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is what I've found myself. Just the same, I prefer to use the Bible which has the greatest number of witnesses, and which has been preserved throughout the generations, which is the Majority Manuscript.

Did the true Word of God languish unseen in the sands of time, depriving God's people of His Word? For myself, I don't think so.

Much love!

Well, yes--sometimes God lets things languish for a time. For instance, God let the Church languish in Arianism for awhile, until leaders took it upon themselves to be heroes for God--men like Athanasius.

We read, in the OT, where God let Israel languish to the point where the Law of God was virtually forgotten until heroes like Hezekiah, Josiah, Ezra and Nehemiah rose up and took it upon themselves to do the work of recovery.

God does let the Church languish, due to the choice to procrastinate, let down our guard, get lazy, or keep a blind eye to sin. At some point, God will raise up a hero in the faith to bring the truth back for those who are interested in being recovered--men like Luther. Those who fall into a spiritual slumber will get their reward.

I think that doing work on manuscripts is no different than anything else. It requires work. We may be more comfortable with what we have. But what if indeed there are errors to correct--errors that are within our means to expose? Are we willing to fight the good fight and endure opposition for the sake of truth?

But on this matter, we don't have a big problem because most of the errors have already been exposed and corrected. I do think the work of those utilizing the Alexandrian manuscripts deserve a share of the praise. The Majority Text is not being dealt a serious blow in the process, in my opinion.

Last edited:

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most likely caused by the errors and of the modern age beginning with the so called reformers and all the heresies that followed

especially

fundamentalism: faith without reason
Atheism: reason without faith

all the sola errors