Video Games

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Warrior

Apr 18, 2012
I will be the first one to admit this. Video games are something i played my whole life. Many people like to say it is time consuming, It may be, but I am not killing anyone, I am Still Christian and Pray all day. Video games Just are something for my entertainment. Jesus is still in my heart. Anyone else agree?

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
It's all fun and games till someone gets drunk at my house and grabs my parakeet and chucks it as hard as they can at my ginnea pig and screams, "Angry Birds!" ;)

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
I've played videogames since the 80s. I've always enjoyed them but some of the game that have come out in recent years do alarm me a little. Games like Grand theft Auto and Saints Row in aprticular which seem to glamourise crime are fun to play but they are really not for kids. In the UK the average age of gamers is 29 and in the USA I think it is 37. The problem is that so many games with 18 certificates (would your equivilant be "R" rated) are played by people who are far too young and they are more impressionable than adults.

When I was a teenager we had games like Mortal Kombat which was full of blood and violent finishing moves like decapitations and knocking someone into a pit of spikes but these games weren't all that realistic. Plus I'm sure more mkids were hurt immitating Power Rangers than trying to copy anything from Mortal Kombat.

GTAIV in particular is very gritty and realstic, it tells a great story and that was what made me want to play, it was like along movie where you played the hero (or anti-hero) but it really wasn't for children.

Warrior

Apr 18, 2012
I've played videogames since the 80s. I've always enjoyed them but some of the game that have come out in recent years do alarm me a little. Games like Grand theft Auto and Saints Row in aprticular which seem to glamourise crime are fun to play but they are really not for kids. In the UK the average age of gamers is 29 and in the USA I think it is 37. The problem is that so many games with 18 certificates (would your equivilant be "R" rated) are played by people who are far too young and they are more impressionable than adults.

When I was a teenager we had games like Mortal Kombat which was full of blood and violent finishing moves like decapitations and knocking someone into a pit of spikes but these games weren't all that realistic. Plus I'm sure more mkids were hurt immitating Power Rangers than trying to copy anything from Mortal Kombat.

GTAIV in particular is very gritty and realstic, it tells a great story and that was what made me want to play, it was like along movie where you played the hero (or anti-hero) but it really wasn't for children.
Yeah I played Gta games since I was a kid and I love the environment and exploring in those games. Everyone thinks there are points for killing cops its not true. RockstarGames puts in a unique environment and cities into the games. I played my first Gta when I was about 6 and Stayed with Christ with all these years. I am still Christian, and Video games dont take up too much time, Just the main reason I dont think its that much of a sin

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
The games industry is getting bigger and bigger all the time and with all the cut scenes they're a bit like interactive movies. They look more and more realistic and bwlievable and they get top actors to do the voices. I think this is why so many adults play them. Another reason is that people who had kids in the 80s and 90s hadn't grown up with games themselves but people of my generation who have kids now hve been playing games for more than 20 years and so it is just becoming a norm.

I'm glad that GTA didn't affect you at such an impressionable age. I didn't get a computer till I was 9 (Commadore Amiga 500) but the most violent game I can think of from the late 80s was "Barbarian" it was a beat em up in which you could perform a decapitation at any point in the round.

barbarian_1.jpg

This takes me back.

I must admit that when I got an Xbox it was pretty hard to put it down. Games now are so vast and there's so much to discover that you can just spend hours on end if your not careful. I think its very sad that there are people out there who are real videogame addicts.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
That's why I'm worried about some of the kids that play games like that. You see the GTAIV story is so realistic and the characters so believable that for impressionable young children it could giove them the wrong message, making them think that crime pays.

Saints Row is worse because this game is all about gang culture and hiphop. It's OK for older kids even ones udner 18 as long as it oesn't glamourise criminal behaviour. I remember thinking when i'd been playing the game for just a couple of hours that if I had kids there's no way they'd get to play games like these until I thought they were responsible enough.

accdan

May 11, 2012
I used to play allot of video games untill I realized how much time they sucked out of my life. Time that could have been used to glorify God.

Warrior

Apr 18, 2012
I used to play allot of video games untill I realized how much time they sucked out of my life. Time that could have been used to glorify God.
Yes i repented not long after I posted this. I removed myself from Video games completely, TV too. I seek Jesus Christ with all my Heart and spirit.

xBluxTunicx82

Apr 6, 2012
Yes i repented not long after I posted this. I removed myself from Video games completely, TV too. I seek Jesus Christ with all my Heart and spirit.

I have to agree with you on this, I myself absolutely loved video games for years. But stop and look at it this way, many video games are representative of death, decay, destruction, other gods, pagan practices, etc, pretty much every evil under the sun. Very few are made with 'good' meaning behind it. We as a people have fallen in love with 'death', we like shooters, we like action, we like war.. yet we never stop to realize that perhaps we should be in love with life! These things are pushed upon us as normal, but we have the choice! We can make the decision where our hearts lie.

Now, I am not condoning anyone that likes games, they are fun. But temptation at its best is always fun and appealing to you, and we are to dedicate ourselves to Christ, yet we ALL fall short in the glory of God.

Often times, the enemy will subvert the attention of whom they seek to control with 'bread and circuses', we have American idol, all kinds of anti-Christian movies, all the while, all sorts of atrocities are being commited against Gods children, and no matter how you try and justify it, they are still not of God. We are to test the spirits of ALL things with what the Word tells us. So do just that.

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
Everything in moderation is what I think. When I got an Xbox 360 I played it far too much inf act I'm surprised I didn't get the Red ring of Death in the first month. Then I saw something on TV about video game addiction and it gave me cause for concern because I think I was being sucked in. It can be a slippery slope and the devil will use anything, absolutely anything at his disposal to keep your eyes and your mind of God and onto your own selfish wants.

This applies to everything, junk food, alcohol, tobacco, drugs etc etc It's easy to get sucked into any of these, expecially if your in a dark place with depression and want to use it as a wy of excapism. So there's nothign wrong with a drink, a smoke or playing a videogame but jsut don't get addicted.

7angels

Aug 13, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i used to play video games 12 hours a day or more. i would get myself to stop playing one game and start another . only to find out i still spent the same or more time on the game. i was a christian too but i just could not get into the bible or pray for much longer than 5 minutes at a time and that left a lot of time to waste. so i played video games. then i was given a vision of what God had for my life and if i wanted it then things had to change. it was not easy but eventually i gave up most games and started spending more time with the Lord. only thing is that soon those few games i kept playing took over again and again. i would stop playing them and then i would think that i can play a game now that i have it under control but every time i did i fell right back into playing video games. so for me i had to finally give up video games completely. now i am on my way to accomplishing the will of God on my life.

God bless