Walking In Faith By the Word of God!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Repentance in Hebrew
No Hebrew word is an exact equivalent for the English term “repentance.”

Repentance was expressed by a number of different actions that show a change in thinking and attitude toward sin and God. Repentance may be demonstrated by:
• a public display of mourning over sin, such as weeping (Ezra 10:1), tearing garments and/or hair (Ezra 9:3), and wearing sackcloth (Joel 1:13)
• making restitution for wrongs committed (1 Chr 21:22–26)
• abasing oneself before the wronged party (Gen 33:3)

The Hebrew word that most closely approximates “repent” or “repentance” is translated into English as “return,” which basically means “to turn around and go in the opposite direction.”

In theological contexts, the implication is to turn from a road characterized by rebellion toward God and to a road characterized by obedience. The emphasis is upon actions that necessarily proceed from turning one’s orientation toward God.
Repentance in Greek

The Greek word for “repentance” derives from a verb meaning “to radically change one’s thinking.”

“Repentance” refers to an event in which an individual attains a divinely provided new understanding of their behavior and feels compelled to change that behavior and begin a new relationship with God (Heb 6:1; Acts 20:21). While the Greek language can represent the concept of repentance as an independent action, the Semitic background of the New Testament writers demanded that appropriate actions follow the event of repentance (Matt 3:8; Acts 26:20). Examples of changed behaviors following repentance include:

• Zacchaeus making restitution for the fraud he committed as part of his occupation (Luke 19:1–10)
• Paul preaching the faith he once tried to destroy (Acts 9:1–28)
• Onesimus, the runaway slave, returning to his master, Philemon, to face the consequences of his actions (Phlm 8–16)

James 2:14–26 offers the most explicit comments in the New Testament regarding the relationship between repentance and appropriate actions. James argues that suitable actions will inevitably follow a sincere experience of repentance. The rhetorical question “What good is it …?” (2:14) calls into question not the effectiveness of faith in Christ without accompanying good deeds to save the sinner, but the very presence of that faith if the deeds do not follow. He argues that just as the evidence of biological life in the human body is the basic processes of respiration and circulation, the evidence of saving faith is acts of justice and mercy that arise spontaneously from a changed life (2:18).
Selected Resources for Further Study
Bauer, Walter, William F. Arndt, and F. Wilbur Gingrich. A Greek—English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature. 2nd ed. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1979.
Fabry, Heinz-Josef. “שוב (shwb).” Pages 461–522 in Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament 14. Edited by G. Johannes Botterweck, Helmer Ringgren, and Heinz-Josef Fabry. Translated by Douglas W. Stott. Grand Rapids, Mich.: Eerdmans, 1993.

Brendan Kennedy, “Repentance,” ed. John D. Barry et al., The Lexham Bible Dictionary (Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press, 2016).

Shalom
Johann.
Knowing that the goodness of God leads a person to repentance should result in them appreciating His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering.

Rom 2:4 Or do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance?

Reactions: bro.tan and Johann

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
As I was saying, New Testament repentance, Metanoia . . . well, you've got it in front of you if you care to look.

Much love!

111. THE SYNONYMOUS WORDS
FOR
"REPENT", "REPENTANCE".

I. The Verb.
1. metanoeo = to change one's mind, always for the better, and morally. Because of this it is often used in the Imperative (Mat_3:2; Mat_4:17. Act_2:38; Act_3:19).

Not merely to forsake sin, but to change one's apprehension regarding it. It occurs thirty-four times. It answers to the Latin resipisco = to recover one's senses, to come to one's self.

2. metamelomai = to regret; to have after care or annoyances at the consequences of an act of sin rather than a deep regret at the cause from want of not knowing better. Hence it is never used in the Imperative.

It occurs six time, and in each case (except Mat_21:29; Mat_21:32) never in the real Biblical sense of "repentance toward God". It is from meta = after, and melo = to be an object of care. See notes on 2Co_7:8; 2Co_7:10. It is used of Judas Iscariot (Mat_27:3); negatively of Paul's regret (2Co_7:8); and of God (Heb_7:21).
The Noun, metameleia , is not used in the N.T.
II.

III. The Noun.
metanoia = a real change of mind and attitude toward sin itself, and the cause of it (not merely the consequence of it), which affects the whole life and not merely a single act. It has been defined as a change in our principle of action (Gr. nous ) from what is by nature the exact opposite. It occurs twenty-four times, and except Heb_12:17 is a real "repentance toward God". It is associated with the word of the Holy Spirit, and is connected with the remission of sins and the promises of salvation.
IV. The Negative Adjective, ametameletos , is used twice, viz. Rom_11:29, and 2Co_7:10.
Bullinger.

1:14 AM.
Johann.

Reactions: marks

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Knowing that the goodness of God leads a person to repentance should result in them appreciating His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering.

Rom 2:4 Or do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance?
But do we witness this today? I believe the conviction of the Holy Spirit works true repentance.
Shalom
Johann.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
111. THE SYNONYMOUS WORDS
FOR
"REPENT", "REPENTANCE".

I. The Verb.
1. metanoeo = to change one's mind, always for the better, and morally. Because of this it is often used in the Imperative (Mat_3:2; Mat_4:17. Act_2:38; Act_3:19).

Not merely to forsake sin, but to change one's apprehension regarding it. It occurs thirty-four times. It answers to the Latin resipisco = to recover one's senses, to come to one's self.

2. metamelomai = to regret; to have after care or annoyances at the consequences of an act of sin rather than a deep regret at the cause from want of not knowing better. Hence it is never used in the Imperative.

It occurs six time, and in each case (except Mat_21:29; Mat_21:32) never in the real Biblical sense of "repentance toward God". It is from meta = after, and melo = to be an object of care. See notes on 2Co_7:8; 2Co_7:10. It is used of Judas Iscariot (Mat_27:3); negatively of Paul's regret (2Co_7:8); and of God (Heb_7:21).
The Noun, metameleia , is not used in the N.T.
II.

III. The Noun.
metanoia = a real change of mind and attitude toward sin itself, and the cause of it (not merely the consequence of it), which affects the whole life and not merely a single act. It has been defined as a change in our principle of action (Gr. nous ) from what is by nature the exact opposite. It occurs twenty-four times, and except Heb_12:17 is a real "repentance toward God". It is associated with the word of the Holy Spirit, and is connected with the remission of sins and the promises of salvation.
IV. The Negative Adjective, ametameletos , is used twice, viz. Rom_11:29, and 2Co_7:10.
Bullinger.

1:14 AM.
Johann.
Please correct errors if you find any brother.
Johann.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
But do we witness this today? I believe the conviction of the Holy Spirit works true repentance.
Shalom
Johann.
Genuine repentance is always evidence of God at work, by whatever means He chooses.

2Ti 2:24-26 And a servant of the Lord must not quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient, (25) in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps will grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth, (26) and that they may come to their senses and escape the snare of the devil, having been taken captive by him to do his will.

Reactions: Johann

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How do you think the Lord transformed my life -radically, the conviction of the Holy Spirit accompanied by/with metanoia.
I was a young lad heading for destruction-you interested in testimonies?
I'm interested in truthfulness, I'm interested in transparency, I'm interested in humility, I'm interested in objectivity, I'm interested in courage to face one's own shortcomings, I'm interested in speaking well of God, I'm interested in physical, emotional and psychological health......and as far as 'testimonies' go, I'm interested in testifying to the unspeakable, overwhelming wonder of a God who would rather die than kill. :)

I am not interested in longwinded doctrinal debates which flatter the ego and put the other down, I'm not interested in brownie points or thinly veiled attempts to secure obeisance because of one's great 'theological' knowledge and I'm not interested in slippery evasive tactics.

Last edited:

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I'm interested in truthfulness, I'm interested in transparency, I'm interested in humility, I'm interested in objectivity, I'm interested in courage to face one's own shortcomings, I'm interested in speaking well of God, I'm interested in physical, emotional and psychological health......and as far as 'testimonies' go, I'm interested in testifying to the unspeakable, overwhelming wonder of a God who would rather die than kill. :)

I am not interested in longwinded doctrinal debates which flatter the ego and put the other down, I'm not interested in brownie points or thinly veiled attempts to secure obeisance because of one's great 'theological' knowledge and I'm not interested in slippery evasive tactics.
Yup, you don't know me-know anything re Zimbabwe/Rhodesia?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yup, you don't know me-know anything re Zimbabwe/Rhodesia?
I know Zimbabwee/ Rhodesia has a checkered history....was once the bread basket of Africa....and when Mr Mugabe came to power he ruled harshly and to a great extent feathered his own nest. It now struggles....that is, according to media reporting,.......however my knowledge is superficial.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I know Zimbabwee/ Rhodesia has a checkered history....was once the bread basket of Africa....and when Mr Mugabe came to power he ruled harshly and to a great extent feathered his own nest. It now struggles....that is, according to media reporting,.......however my knowledge is superficial.
Did you take time to get to know what is going on in South Africa?

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I followed Nelson's journey with fair interest......as I do today with Julian Assange's struggles with the system.
That was then-and he wrote a book-
Long Walk to Freedom
Book by Nelson Mandela

We need prayers for a divine intervention. That's all I'm going to share.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That was then-and he wrote a book-
Long Walk to Freedom
Book by Nelson Mandela

We need prayers for a divine intervention. That's all I'm going to share.
'how long oh Lord'....isn't that the cry of those under the altar?

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus says in (Matt. 7:21-23) (v.21) Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father, which is in heaven. You mean you must do more than call on the name of the Lord to enter into the kingdom of heaven? (Which will be set up on this earth)? (v.22) Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? And in thy name have cast out devils? And in thy name done many wonderful works? (v.23) And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. Now this is not the harlot, the thief, or the murder, these are religious people; some had the power to cast out devils. And what did they put before the Lord? Their works! It’s obvious that their iniquity overrode their wonderful works. But they put their works on the table before the Lord, that’s what you are going to be judged by, your works!

Paul said in (Gal. 6:) (v.3) For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself. (v.4) But let every man prove his own work, and then shall he have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another.
The book says let every man prove his own work, and if your work is good then you will rejoice in it. (v.5) For every man shall bear his own burden. That’s right; every man must bear his own burden. You mean you thought that all you had to do was confess the name of Jesus and that was it? Brothers and sisters you must work to get salvation. (v.7) Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. God is not to be played with. Whatsoever you plant, that’s what you are going to reap. Be it good works unto eternal life, or evil works unto eternal damnation. The choice is yours, and your works belong to you.

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Pauls says in 2 Thessalonians 1: 11 Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power: 12 that the name of our Lord Jesus Christ may be glorified in you, and ye in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.

bro.tan

Dec 11, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said in (Matt. 19:16-17) (v.16) And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? That’s what we are all trying to obtain correct, eternal life? (v.17) And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. Now if you want to enter into eternal life you most keep the commandments. Sounds like a little work to me.

Paul said in (Heb. 6:10-11) (v.10) For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister. (v.11) And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to full assurance of hope unto the end: God is not going to forget your works, nor your labor of love toward his name. But you need to show these same works diligence to have full assurance of hope unto the end. Hope of what? Hope of eternal life. To the end of what? To the end of your life or to the coming of the Lord.

Jesus said in (John 17:3-4) (v.3) And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. (v.4) I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. Yes Jesus did much work. He is the captain of our salvation and the captain is leading by his example, by his works.