Walking in the Spirit and Abiding in Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Not me

May 8, 2019
California, Ca.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Enow,

I've come to believe that this is really all we need to do, that if we maintain our trust in God above all other considerations in life, then the walking in the Spirit is something that happens without additional effort.

That is, when I hold in my mind the knowledge, having believed His Word, that God is here with me, and that He loves me, and that He accepts me because of what Jesus did for me, and not for anything I do either good or bad, then I have a full confidence before God, and am empowered by Him to walk according to Him.

Much love!

Just as a thought marks, consider, if walking in the Spirit, is the same thing as, living by faith....

A thought to ponder before God.

In the beloved, Not me

Reactions: Nancy

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Since it is not I who live, but Christ Who lives in me and the life that I live, I live by faith in the Son of God Whom gave His life for me, then that is the only way I can follow Him when I trust Him to be my Good Shepherd & Friend.
Hi again, Enow. True, we walk by faith not by sight (2 Cor 5:7). I've just been sorting the accumulation of papers on my desk and found a page of 37 Scripture verses from Romans to Revelation that contain the word "walk". Hallelujah.

Also is a note to the effect that while walking is only possible when one is prepared to be active, it is also characterised by the measured and regulated cooperation of mind and body, whether with good intentions or bad.

For further edifying discussion:
Php 3:12-21
(12) Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.
(13) Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead,
(14) I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
(15) Therefore let us, as many as are mature, have this mind; and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal even this to you.
(16) Nevertheless, to the degree that we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us be of the same mind.
(17) Brethren, join in following my example, and note those who so walk, as you have us for a pattern.
(18) For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ:

(19) whose end is destruction, whose god is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame—who set their mind on earthly things.
(20) For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ,
(21) who will transform our lowly body that it may be conformed to His glorious body, according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself.

Reactions: Enow

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Corinthians 6:16 KJV
[16] And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them ; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

We can rest with assurance He’ll perform it.

Tecarta Bible

Reactions: Pisteuo

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 5:16 "This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh."

John 15:4 "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me."

Abide . . . from the Greek work meno . . . to remain.

Are these the same? Walking in the Spirit, and Abiding in Christ?

What does it mean to walk in the Spirit? To Abide in Christ?

What part do we play in doing these? What does that "look like"?

Much love!
Walking by the Spirit means walking and living in obedience to the voice and guidance of the Holy Spirit who indwells every believer. Under the Mosaic Law, the Jews lived by the Law. But as Christians, we have something infinitely better. We have God Himself living in us, empowering and directing us in our everyday lives--24/7/365....

Edit: Our obedience to His voice (i.e. His commands/words) amounts to submitting to Him as He directs and guides us throughout the day.

Last edited:
Reactions: marks and Enow

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What does it mean to walk in the Spirit? To Abide in Christ

Hello marks,

John tells us what it means:
1John 2: 9-10

Whoever says he is in the light, yet hates his brother, is still in the darkness.

Whoever loves his brother remains in the light, and there is nothing in him to cause a fall.

And ,of course, Jesus tells us how to abide in Him here:

Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.

Peace!

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello marks,

John tells us what it means:
1John 2: 9-10

Whoever says he is in the light, yet hates his brother, is still in the darkness.

Whoever loves his brother remains in the light, and there is nothing in him to cause a fall.

And ,of course, Jesus tells us how to abide in Him here:

Peace!

Let us read that in context;

John 6:32 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven. 33 For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world. 34 Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread. 35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst. 36 But I said unto you, That ye also have seen me, and believe not.

It is by coming to and believing in Jesus Christ is how we receive the bread of life as in eternal life. But the Jews were not hearing Him at all and Jesus even commented on them about how they did not believe Him even though they see Him right there.

So Jesus was not talking about communion in John 6th chapter at all, but how to receive eternal life by coming to and believing in Jesus Christ. The promise is that they will never hunger nor thirst to be filled again once they did because they are saved as Spirit-filled believers, but Jesus began speaking to the unbelieving Jews whose mentality was still on eating this "bread of life" & so Jesus tried to tell them it was not about actually eating in how they receive this bread of life.

John 6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life. 48 I am that bread of life. 49 Your fathers did eat manna in the wilderness, and are dead. 50 This is the bread which cometh down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die. 51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world. 52 The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat? 53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. 54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. 56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him. 57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me. 58 This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever.

So when His disciples were having a hard time with Jesus sayings, He spoke plainly to them that it was about believing in Him as He gave them a future example for why they would. Then He explained that the flesh profit nothing; hence the eating of the flesh profit nothing; it is His words and by believing in His words that by coming to and believing in Him is how they are quicken by the Spirit and have eternal life.

John 6:61 When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you? 62 What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before? 63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. 64 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.

So John 6th chapter was never about communion, but about how to receive eternal life.

Reactions: Nancy

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Let us read that in context;

John 6:32 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven. 33 For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world. 34 Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread. 35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst. 36 But I said unto you, That ye also have seen me, and believe not.

It is by coming to and believing in Jesus Christ is how we receive the bread of life as in eternal life. But the Jews were not hearing Him at all and Jesus even commented on them about how they did not believe Him even though they see Him right there.

So Jesus was not talking about communion in John 6th chapter at all, but how to receive eternal life by coming to and believing in Jesus Christ. The promise is that they will never hunger nor thirst to be filled again once they did because they are saved as Spirit-filled believers, but Jesus began speaking to the unbelieving Jews whose mentality was still on eating this "bread of life" & so Jesus tried to tell them it was not about actually eating in how they receive this bread of life.

John 6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life. 48 I am that bread of life. 49 Your fathers did eat manna in the wilderness, and are dead. 50 This is the bread which cometh down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die. 51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world. 52 The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat? 53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you. 54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed. 56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him. 57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me. 58 This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever.

So when His disciples were having a hard time with Jesus sayings, He spoke plainly to them that it was about believing in Him as He gave them a future example for why they would. Then He explained that the flesh profit nothing; hence the eating of the flesh profit nothing; it is His words and by believing in His words that by coming to and believing in Him is how they are quicken by the Spirit and have eternal life.

John 6:61 When Jesus knew in himself that his disciples murmured at it, he said unto them, Doth this offend you? 62 What and if ye shall see the Son of man ascend up where he was before? 63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life. 64 But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.

So John 6th chapter was never about communion, but about how to receive eternal life.
You have spiritualized the physical.
55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
You are doing scriptural gymnastics to deny the obvious.

Heb. 9:26 – Jesus’ once and for all appearance into heaven to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself shows that Jesus’ presence in heaven and His sacrifice are inseparable. This also shows that “once for all,” which refers to Jesus’ appearance in heaven, means perpetual (it does not, and cannot mean, “over and done with” because Jesus is in heaven for eternity). “Once for all” also refers to Jesus’ suffering and death (Heb. 7:27; 9:12,26;10:10-14). But “once for all” never refers to Jesus’ sacrifice, which is eternally presented to the Father. This sacrifice is the Mal. 1:11 pure offering made present in every place from the rising of the sun to its setting in the Eucharist offered in the same manner as the Melchizedek offering.
THE EUCHARIST - Scripture Catholic

Reactions: Philip James

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have spiritualized the physical.
55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
You are doing scriptural gymnastics to deny the obvious.

No. Jesus was being sarcastic because the Jews still had it in their mindset to eat this bread of life in receiving that bread from Heaven when Jesus was saying over and over again that it is by believing in Him is how you receive the bread of life, not by eating that bread like manna as their forefathers did and are dead.

Did they not ask Jesus for that bread of life from Heaven? Yes. Then why didn't Jesus hold communion right then and there? Because that is not what He was talking about. He was telling them how to be saved by coming to and believing in Him which is how they were to receive the bread of life.

Heb. 9:26 – Jesus’ once and for all appearance into heaven to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself shows that Jesus’ presence in heaven and His sacrifice are inseparable. This also shows that “once for all,” which refers to Jesus’ appearance in heaven, means perpetual (it does not, and cannot mean, “over and done with” because Jesus is in heaven for eternity). “Once for all” also refers to Jesus’ suffering and death (Heb. 7:27; 9:12,26;10:10-14). But “once for all” never refers to Jesus’ sacrifice, which is eternally presented to the Father. This sacrifice is the Mal. 1:11 pure offering made present in every place from the rising of the sun to its setting in the Eucharist offered in the same manner as the Melchizedek offering.
THE EUCHARIST - Scripture Catholic

How do you apply John 6:35 if you really believe Jesus was talking about communion when once they come to and believe in Him, they would thirst no more nor hunger any more? If you still think it is about communion, then taking communion other than once is denying the promise that you would never hunger to eat the bread nor thirst to drink the wine ever again.

Your application of scripture is overlooking the ramification of Hebrews 10th chapter when treating the blood of the Covenant as an unholy thing when you treat His body and blood as if it was not good enough the first time to have saved you that it has to be repeated as in received again and again and again thus putting what Jesus has done along with His blood on par with the blood of goats and bulls.

Hebrews 10th chapter warns believers that think this way that He will judge as in rebuke those saints severely.

Hebrews 10:3 But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year. 4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins. 5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me: 6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure. 7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God. 8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law; 9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second. 10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. 11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins: 12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; 13 From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool. 14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified. 15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: ...

Having the Holy Ghost in you means you are forever sanctified as in saved. What we put on that foundation is another issue as it would defile the temple of God which is our body ( 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 ) by how we will be judged as saved believers ( 1 Corinthians 3:10-17 )

Do read Hebrews 10:3-15 one more time because that is the knowledge of the truth that believers are sinning by when they think His blood was not good enough the first time that it bears being repeated and received again like the blood of goats and bulls.

Hebrews 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, 27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. 28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: 29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people. 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

That is why communion is only to be done in remembrance of Him. The emphasis that the Catholic Church puts on the Mass is not the emphasis that Jesus put on communion for what it was to be done for which is in remembrance of Him; not as receiving Him again and again since He has been in us since we first believed at the calling of the gospel.

2 Thessalonians 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth: 14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. 15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

I don't see joining any church or doing the seven sacraments within that specific church mentioned in there, do you?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. Jesus was being sarcastic because the Jews still had it in their mindset to eat this bread of life in receiving that bread from Heaven when Jesus was saying over and over again that it is by believing in Him is how you receive the bread of life, not by eating that bread like manna as their forefathers did and are dead.

Did they not ask Jesus for that bread of life from Heaven? Yes. Then why didn't Jesus hold communion right then and there? Because that is not what He was talking about. He was telling them how to be saved by coming to and believing in Him which is how they were to receive the bread of life.

How do you apply John 6:35 if you really believe Jesus was talking about communion when once they come to and believe in Him, they would thirst no more nor hunger any more? If you still think it is about communion, then taking communion other than once is denying the promise that you would never hunger to eat the bread nor thirst to drink the wine ever again.

Your application of scripture is overlooking the ramification of Hebrews 10th chapter when treating the blood of the Covenant as an unholy thing when you treat His body and blood as if it was not good enough the first time to have saved you that it has to be repeated as in received again and again and again thus putting what Jesus has done along with His blood on par with the blood of goats and bulls.

Hebrews 10th chapter warns believers that think this way that He will judge as in rebuke those saints severely.

Hebrews 10:3 But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year. 4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins. 5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me: 6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure. 7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God. 8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law; 9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second. 10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. 11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins: 12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God; 13 From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool. 14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified. 15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: ...

Having the Holy Ghost in you means you are forever sanctified as in saved. What we put on that foundation is another issue as it would defile the temple of God which is our body ( 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 ) by how we will be judged as saved believers ( 1 Corinthians 3:10-17 )

Do read Hebrews 10:3-15 one more time because that is the knowledge of the truth that believers are sinning by when they think His blood was not good enough the first time that it bears being repeated and received again like the blood of goats and bulls.

Hebrews 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, 27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. 28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: 29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace? 30 For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people. 31 It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

That is why communion is only to be done in remembrance of Him. The emphasis that the Catholic Church puts on the Mass is not the emphasis that Jesus put on communion for what it was to be done for which is in remembrance of Him; not as receiving Him again and again since He has been in us since we first believed at the calling of the gospel.

2 Thessalonians 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth: 14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. 15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

I don't see joining any church or doing the seven sacraments within that specific church mentioned in there, do you?
We are one bread.

Reactions: Philip James

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No, Jesus repeatedly said just the opposite. Believing in Him is a given, AND we must eat His Flesh and drink His Blood, in the form of consecrated Bread and Wine. You create a false dichotomy between believing in Him and His clear, repeated commands.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Then believe the Bible that you are saved.

Don't believe the Catholic Catechism that says you are not saved yet.
The Bible does not give infallible certainty of salvation. One can be infallibly certain of their salvation AFTER they are dead, not before. You guys can't agree on how salvation is applied. I will take consistency of teaching over and above the chaos created by the so called reformers.

Last edited:
Reactions: RogerDC

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible does not give infallible certainty of salvation. One can be infallibly certain of their salvation AFTER they are dead, not before. You guys can't agree on how salvation is applied. I will take consistency of teaching over and above the chaos created by the so called reformers.

I will take the consistency of teaching by Jesus over the Catholic Church any day.

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Granted, most attribute that baptism to water baptism rather than the baptism with the Holy Ghost at salvation when you believe in Him, but that is what the scripture testify of in action. in proving that truth.

Acts 10: 43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins. 44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. 45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. 46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, 47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? 48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Before they got water baptized, before they came forward and confessed Him with their mouths, they believed Peter's words and got saved since that was when they had received the Holy Ghost as promised at our salvation.

Look at how Jesus said how a sinner wasn't saved.

Luke 8:11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God. 12 Those by the way side are they that hear; then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved.

If you want Jesus testifying to how one is born again of the Spirit, look at His answer to Nicodemus then.

John 3:14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: 15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. 18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Note verse 18 above? He said how one is saved and said how one is not saved as in condemned.

Now do you believe the consistency of His words on how you are saved over the Catholic Church now or not?

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hello Enow,

So John 6th chapter was never about communion,

said no apostolic community ever...

but about how to receive eternal life.

Indeed this is so. The gospel is really very simple: believe and be united with Him!

Then He explained that the flesh profit nothing; hence the eating of the flesh profit nothing

Jesus had just said: "and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world." so clearly HIS flesh counts for everything.

His response to the grumbling disciples is saying that OUR flesh, our sensibilities, our perceptions, our thoughts count for nothing! It is HIS words that count, for they are spirit and they are life! What were those words again?

Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day.

For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink.

Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me.

Further, He makes it clear to the apostles that they must accept this when He says 'will you also leave?'...

Forget the traditions of men that you have been taught and believe Jesus! His words are True..

You too! Are welcome to come to the wedding feast of the Lamb of God!

Peace be with you!

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Of course! it's right here: Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

And thus you find in all the ancient apostolic communities the sacraments of the Church, the 2000 year old living witness of those in communion with the patriarch of Rome, those in communion with the patriarch of Alexandria and those in communion with the patriarch of Constantinople...

Here we have 2 (or 3) witnesses to the Faith that was given to us by Christ through His apostles...

Peace!

Reactions: RogerDC

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Enow,

Hi Philip James,

said no apostolic community ever...

They would be in error. If it was about communion, then how come they never apply the promise in John 6:35 for that would mean tey only have to receive communion one time. Otherwise, they are denying the promise, right?

And yet Jesus pointed out why they had not received that bread of life.. they did not believe in Him.

Indeed this is so. The gospel is really very simple: believe and be united with Him!

How the Catholic catechism explains the Mass is not so simple, brother.

Jesus had just said: "and the bread that I will give is my flesh for the life of the world." so clearly HIS flesh counts for everything.

His response to the grumbling disciples is saying that OUR flesh, our sensibilities, our perceptions, our thoughts count for nothing! It is HIS words that count, for they are spirit and they are life! What were those words again?

Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day.

For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink.

Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me.

And yet He told His disciples that the flesh profiteth nothing for why His words are life that by believing His words. that by believing in Him, is how they receive the bread of life hence eternal salvation.

Further, He makes it clear to the apostles that they must accept this when He says 'will you also leave?'...

And yet again He points out how not every one of the disciples remaining believed in Him for that one would betray Him.

Forget the traditions of men that you have been taught and believe Jesus! His words are True..

How simple it would be to give the Jews what they had asked for and even His disciples by holding communion, but He did not. If you starting to see what is wrong with that picture, may the Lord help you set aside long held tradition and read His words again about how we relay receive the bread of life that the "unbelieving Jews" kept thinking of receiving that bread of life like eating manna from heaven which Jesus had told them a couple of times that it was not so and even the disciples when He said the flesh profiteth nothing as in the eating of that bread.

Thus communion is to be done only in remembrance of Him because John 6th chapter is about salvation by coming to & believing in Jesus Christ is how you receive the bread of life.

You too! Are welcome to come to the wedding feast of the Lamb of God!

Peace be with you!

Christ is risen!
Alleluia!

All believers are welcome, but unless they depart from iniquity, any work that deny Him, they run the risk of being disqualified to attend that wedding feats of the Lamb of God and be left behind to be resurrected later on, after the great tribulation to serve the King of kings. FYI

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course! it's right here: Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

And thus you find in all the ancient apostolic communities the sacraments of the Church, the 2000 year old living witness of those in communion with the patriarch of Rome, those in communion with the patriarch of Alexandria and those in communion with the patriarch of Constantinople...

Here we have 2 (or 3) witnesses to the Faith that was given to us by Christ through His apostles...

Peace!

Paul was talking about the tradition mentioned in 2 Thessalonians 2:13-15 about when they had received the sanctification of the Spirit & the belief of the truth at the calling of the gospel. This was a reminder against those who have gone astray and become disorderly in worship as mentioned in 2 Thessalonians 3:1-7 in relation to the falling away from the faith would happen first in 2 Thessalonians 2:1-3 for when the Bridegroom will come to collect the saints in which said iniquity that will cause that falling away from the faith pertains to those believing the lie for why God permit strong delusions to occur like thinking they can receive the Holy Spirit again and again and again after so many sensational signs in the flesh ( 2 Thessalonians 2:9-12 ). Examples are the Toronto's Blessings, Pensacola Outpouring, holy laughter movement, the restoration movement in the UK, where people will fall backwards or down in a loss of self control ( that is the disorderly part ) and nary a one will take that verse to heart that God is not the author of confusion but of peace as in ALL churches of the saints ( 1 Corinthians 14:32-33 ).

So even though Paul was rebuking the iniquity of these latter days, it also applies to the works of Catholicism that denies that tradition of when we were saved.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if walking in the Spirit, is the same thing as, living by faith....
we walk by faith not by sight so yes our faith helps us in walking awareness of what the Holy spirit wants us to do

Reactions: Not me