Warning Signs your Church may be Merging with the Emergent Church

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Verse 23 - Christ. Try to get your lies straight. For information Christianity was corrupted by people who abandoned historic Christianity
Rather by those who abandoned Scripture in favor of human reason and Church Tradition...sort of what the Emergents are fond of.

Reactions: Helen

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Still it doesn't say anything about the Bible being "ultimate authority as the basis for the Christian faith".
Jesus would tell you over and over again "HAVE YE NOT READ...?" What was He talking about? It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. (Mt 4:4)

And that is why the apostle Paul anticipated your anti-biblical doctrine with this very clear statement: All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. (2 Tim 3:16,17)

Reactions: Helen

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rather by those who abandoned Scripture in favor of human reason and Church Tradition...sort of what the Emergents are fond of.

Actullay it is your type that abandon Scripture so you all could mold it how you liked.

historyb

Mar 10, 2011
in a house
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus would tell you over and over again "HAVE YE NOT READ...?" What was He talking about? It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God. (Mt 4:4)

And that is why the apostle Paul anticipated your anti-biblical doctrine with this very clear statement: All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. (2 Tim 3:16,17)

Yet that does not make Scripture the ultimate authority, it just shows how far removed many are removed for real authentic Christianity

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here are some of the warning signs:
Scripture is no longer the ultimate authority as the basis for the Christian faith.

The centrality of the gospel of Jesus Christ is being replaced by humanistic methods promoting church growth and a social gospel.

More and more emphasis is being placed on building the kingdom of God now and less and less on the warnings of Scripture about the imminent return of Jesus Christ and a coming judgment in the future.

The teaching that Jesus Christ will rule and reign in a literal millennial period is considered unbiblical and heretical.

The teaching that the church has taken the place of Israel and Israel has no prophetic significance is often embraced.

The teaching that the Book of Revelation does not refer to the future, but instead has been already fulfilled in the past.

An experiential mystical form of Christianity begins to be promoted as a method to reach the postmodern generation.

Ideas are promoted teaching that Christianity needs to be reinvented in order to provide meaning for this generation.

The pastor may implement an idea called “ancient-future” or “vintage Christianity” claiming that in order to take the church forward, we need to go back in church history and find out what experiences were effective to get people to embrace Christianity.

While the authority of the Word of God is undermined, images and sensual experiences are promoted as the key to experiencing and knowing God.

These experiences include icons, candles, incense, liturgy, labyrinths, prayer stations, contemplative prayer, experiencing the sacraments, particularly the sacrament of the Eucharist.

There seems to be a strong emphasis on ecumenism indicating that a bridge is being established that leads in the direction of unity with the Roman Catholic Church.

Some evangelical Protestant leaders are saying that the Reformation went too far. They are reexamining the claims of the “church fathers” saying that communion is more than a symbol and that Jesus actually becomes present in the wafer at communion.

There will be a growing trend towards an ecumenical unity for the cause of world peace claiming the validity of other religions and that there are many ways to God.

Members of churches who question or resist the new changes that the pastor is implementing are reprimanded and usually asked to leave.

https://www.lighthousetrailsresearch.com/newsletters/2019/newsletter20190226.htm
I have another one. If you deny that the emergent church exists then your probably a member of it or soon will be.

Reactions: prism

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I actually find a "labyrinth" no more odd than the "prayer books", repetitive motions and actions, and the "follow along" and "echoing back to the speaker" rituals many other denominations engage in on a routine basis. I think what upsets detractors of any other religion the most is that "their different weird is not our comfortable weird."

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Goes without saying that a great many will embrace the emergent church & see nothing wrong with it. It is part of the falling away that Jesus described and it's going to be a sifting of goats from the sheep.

Reactions: prism and marks

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is distressing to me, and should be a concern for the body of Christ because of the implications for the emergent church is for the youth and for the unsaved, who will receive corrupt teachings, ungodly worship, and a false gospel etc.... The contending for the faith is going to get steadily more difficult as more within the greater church will oppose sound doctrine and obstruct those that would contend for the faith, which includes pointing out false teachings, worldly attitudes, ideas & practices that are unbiblical & not in keeping with what is found in scripture.

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I don't doubt that some imposters would quickly appropriate the term Emergent Church, but I sure don't see any labyrinths or candles in ours up here

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Goes without saying that a great many will embrace the emergent church & see nothing wrong with it. It is part of the falling away that Jesus described and it's going to be a sifting of goats from the sheep.
I guess all this malarky of Contemplative Prayer, Prayer Labyrinths, Prayer beads, Incense, Rosary Beads, Shawls etc., is telling God that His Word and Spirit just aren't sufficient.
Man gravitates towards smells and bells and all that glitters; all the while we are called to walk by faith in His Word.

2 Corinthians 5:7 (ASV) (for we walk by faith, not by sight);

Reactions: tzcho2

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one will be a
I guess all this malarky of Contemplative Prayer, Prayer Labyrinths, Prayer beads, Incense, Rosary Beads, Shawls etc., is telling God that His Word and Spirit just aren't sufficient.
Man gravitates towards smells and bells and all that glitters; all the while we are called to walk by faith in His Word.

2 Corinthians 5:7 (ASV) (for we walk by faith, not by sight);
Yep, plus it's the influence of the New Age spirituality, which is a jumbled mess of many world religious traditions, spiritual influences like eastern meditation techniques, mysticism, variety of pagan practices, occult, Roman Catholic mystics...

Reactions: prism

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
When you go to another country, what you see adopted in those countries from your own is the excesses of your country.

i.e. 24/7 worship, singing 24 words repeated 7 times.
i.e. if the spirit of God enters you, you will fall down to the floor.
i.e. the rapture
etc.

other people see our excesses and mistake that for the heart of God.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
When you go to another country, what you see adopted in those countries from your own is the excesses of your country.

i.e. 24/7 worship, singing 24 words repeated 7 times.
i.e. if the spirit of God enters you, you will fall down to the floor.
i.e. the rapture
etc.

other people see our excesses and mistake that for the heart of God.

James 1:27 paints a picture of what true religion looks like. So regardless of any excess the practical servile aspects need to be there.