Was Jesus a Carpenter?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Last night I was watching a speacial on T.V about Jesus and they said the there is no sure evidence that Jesus was a carpenter as often said that the Geek Word used is Tekton:1) a worker in wood, a carpenter, joiner, buildera) a ship's carpenter or builder2) any craftsman, or workmana) the art of poetry, maker of songs3) a planner, contriver, plottera) an authorMost of the building in those days was done with Stone not wood so there is a bigger chance he was a Stone Mason than a carpenterthat got me thinging of all the times in scripture Jesus is said to be our Rock, our Capstone, our corner stone ect. So what are your thoughts about this you think Jesus was a carpenter

haanne

Oct 29, 2007
I think that Jesus was the messiah built he was probably tough the skills of his father and when he spoke he used "la mens terms" of that day so the people could relate to what he was saying.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Well I'm sure they did and he could have very well been a carpenter I just thought it seems much more in line with his Words that he may have been a builder stone buildings It just seems a better fit.

Jackie D

Mar 15, 2008
I have never wondered about that, but it is an interesting thought that perhaps He wasn't a wood working carpenter. We'll have to ask Him when we get to heaven:angel9:

lilithb

Dec 5, 2007
Interesting.. You know, I have never thought of that and wished I could have seen that special, but when you put it as you did, I can see him being a Stone Mason. you are right, the Bible does not state that he was a Carpenter.

Jerusalem Junkie

Jan 7, 2008
Most likely he was a stone mason since most structures of his time were made of stone or brick...very little wood was used except for fire building...

David161099

Nov 19, 2007
Perhaps back then, the various trades weren't as concretely defined.Foe example, most would have been handymen/craftsmen. Doing a bit of everything.

Aleks_Kravchuk

Mar 14, 2008
I can not really say. As much as I knew being a Carpenter referred to wood working
smile.gif
. To me that is perfectly alright. Anyway you put it (He had a job) Be blessed

Bibliocentrist

Mar 15, 2008
Australasia
the trade/craft of carpenter meant more than just woodworker, it included architect, stone mason, black-smith, builder, etc. furthermore the word for carpenter (najjar which could relate to "of nazareth"?) also could mean initiate/adept/holyman. famous architects/craftsmen in history/myth include Noah, Hiram Abiff, freemasons, Creator/"grand architect", Jesus/st Joseph, Imhotep, Hitler, Nimrod/Cush, Herod the Grt, vulcan/hephaistos, wayland, etc. the ark of covenant, cross, tree of life and allegedly noah's ark were wood. noah's ark and/or great pyramid were cement?

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Not thats its that big a deal but I not sure where you got that word from the word used I got wasTekton:1) a worker in wood, a carpenter, joiner, buildera) a ship's carpenter or builder2) any craftsman, or workmana) the art of poetry, maker of songs3) a planner, contriver, plottera) an author