Was Jesus a Jew ???

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I respectfully disagree. If sin isn't inherited through DNA (Adam's) then why does all mankind die, and if sin is a spiritual inheritance, not a biological one, we as christians now living according to the holy Spirit should all die, and all none christians not in the Spirit but still dead in the flesh should now live forever in their present bodys. On the contrary you seem to have the sin theory backwards, for scripture tells us, those that come to christ are born again of the Spirit and the flesh (DNA symbolically) is put to death crucified on the cross.

Therfore the flesh (biological) has passed over to the new (spiritual) and are a new creation in Christ with the promise of eternal live. But as you put it, if sin is a spiritual inheritance, not a biological one, that would put all christians now in the spirit to be of sin, and all none christians still in the flesh to not have sin.

Just a thought, if sin is not biologically inherited through DNA, how then do we account for those who are born of multiple deformities of body and mind.

Our flesh has NOT passed over to the new spiritual.

Only our spirit/soul has been Born-Again by the Spirit of God - NOT our flesh.

Our flesh is condemned to death = Read carefully 1 Cor ch15

"Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does corruption inherit incorruption."

the LORD Jesus Christ says:
Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die;

And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

THREE Important points made by our LORD:

#1 - Our flesh body remains under the curse of death.
#2 - Believers Spirit/Soul never dies.
#3 - Though our flesh bodies die, we shall be Resurrected at His Return

Peace

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 1:30-33 . .You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are
to give him the name Jesus. The Lord God will give him the throne of his
father David

Before Jesus could be considered for David's throne, he first had to be
among David's biological descendants; no exceptions.

Ps 89:35-36 . . Once have I sworn by my holiness that I will not lie unto
David. His seed shall endure forever, and his throne as the sun before me.

Ps 132:11 . .The Lord has sworn in truth unto David; and He will not turn
from it: "Of the fruit of your body will I set upon your throne."

The New Testament verifies that Jesus satisfies the biological requirement in
those Psalms.

Acts 2:29-30 . . Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the
patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulcher is with us
unto this day. Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn
with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he
would raise up Christ to sit on his throne.

Rom 1:1-3 . . Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David
according to the flesh

The Greek word for "seed" in that passage is sperma (sper'-mah) which is a
bit ambiguous because it can refer to spiritual progeny as well as to
biological progeny; for example:

Gal 3:29 . . If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed.

Abraham's seed in that verse obviously refers to spiritual progeny; whereas
David's seed in the passages above refers to biological progeny because
David's seed is 1) the fruit of his body and 2) of his loins according to the flesh.

So the question becomes not whether Jesus was a Jew, but whether David was.
_

And the answer to your question is = David, son of Jesse from the tribe of Judah = Matthew chapters 1 & 2 and Revelation 5:5

But you, Bethlehem, in the land of Judah,
are by no means least among the rulers of Judah,
for out of you will come a ruler
who will be the shepherd of My people Israel

Then one of the elders said to me, “Do not weep! Behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has triumphed to open the scroll and its seven seals.”

Last edited:

Inexplicable

Mar 22, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Our flesh has NOT passed over to the new spiritual.

Only our spirit/soul has been Born-Again by the Spirit of God - NOT our flesh.

Our flesh is condemned to death = Read carefully 1 Cor ch15

"Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does corruption inherit incorruption."

the LORD Jesus Christ says:
Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die;

And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

THREE Important points made by our LORD:

#1 - Our flesh body remains under the curse of death.
#2 - Believers Spirit/Soul never dies.
#3 - Though our flesh bodies die, we shall be Resurrected at His Return

Peace
Thank you David, I clearly understand your point and agree with your interpretation/ theory, maybe my wording was wrong.

Reactions: David in NJ

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mary was from the line of Adam, therfore her DNA carried sin inherited from Adam.
Therfore Mary's human nature as you put it, would of carried sin in her egg cells
resulting in Jesus being born with sin.

* Be careful not to mistake Adam's one sinful act spoken of in Rom 5:12 &
Rom 5:17-19 with the sinful nature spoken of in Rom 7:7-23 & Eph 2:1-3

FAQ: Did Eve acquire the sinful nature from Adam?

REPLY: She was already alive and fully constructed with material taken from
Adam's body prior to the forbidden fruit incident. Since himself tasted the
fruit after his wife was already in existence; then it was impossible for Adam
to pass the sinful nature to her by means of his body.

In the past, I was sure that the chemistry of the forbidden fruit had
something to do with the first couple's altered moral perception; but now I
seriously doubt it because Eve was the first to eat the fruit, and when she
did, nothing happened. She remained just as shameless in the buff as
before. It wasn't till Adam tasted the fruit that she began to feel exposed; so
I'm pretty sure that the underlying cause is far more serious than the
chemistry of that fruit.

FAQ: If Eve's altered moral perception wasn't due to the fruit, nor due to
Adam's body, then due to what?

REPLY: Mr. Serpent is the logical source, a.k.a. the Devil (Rev 20:2) He has
the power of death (Heb 2:14) and the ability to tamper with the human
body and the human mind in ways not easily detected; e.g. Luke 13:16,
Mark 5:1-5, and Eph 2:2.

The Serpent was apparently all set and ready to wield his power the moment
that Adam crossed the line and ate that fruit. It amazes me how quickly it
takes effect. Not long after Adam tasted the fruit, he and his wife both
immediately set to work cobbling together some rudimentary aprons to
cover up their pelvic areas.

FAQ: Why wasn't the woman effected by the Serpent's power when she
tasted the forbidden fruit?

REPLY: It was apparently God's decision that if sin and death were to come
into the world, they would come via a lone male's actions just as life and
righteousness would later be offered to the world via a lone male's actions.
(Rom 5:12-21)

FAQ: When does the Serpent go to work on people. . . in the womb or out of
the womb?

REPLY: Adam and his wife demonstrate that it can be done on adults, but
I'm guessing that for most of us it's in the womb. (Ps 51:5 & 58:3)

FAQ: And baby Jesus?

REPLY: Protecting baby Jesus from the sinful nature was just a simple matter
of keeping the Devil's paws off him.

FAQ: That's unfair. Why isn't everyone's children protected from the Devil's
tampering? Why only Mary's baby?

REPLY: It was apparently in the plan all along to force the rest of us into
becoming dependent upon a knight in shining armor to save us from the
wrath of God, viz: Jesus' crucifixion wasn't an emergency response-- he
was on track for it from before the very beginning. (1Pet 1:18-20 & Rev 13:8)
_

Last edited:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is widely assumed Jesus was a jew, but if Jesus was born of (immaculate conception) that means he wasn't from the line of Adam, although born from the womb of Mary, he also wasn't from the seed of Joseph and Mary being not their bloodline offspring. Therfore in the biological process of his birth would have bore no characteristics, hereditary or genetic traits of his Jewish earthly parents. In terms of (immaculate conception) that would place Jesus as being exclusive and unique to the human race, as he was truly GOD in the flesh.

I myself am a christian by faith believing in Jesus, and the bible being life changing wisdom. I understand this is irrelevant concerning salvation, but an interesting question open for debate.
Jesus as to His humanity was a Jew. He received HIs humanity from Mary and Mary was a Jew.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If sin isn't inherited through DNA (Adam's) then why does all mankind die, and if sin is a spiritual inheritance, not a biological one, we as christians now living according to the holy Spirit should all die, and all none christians not in the Spirit but still dead in the flesh should now live forever in their present bodys.
Spiritual things aren't inherited through DNA, only physical traits. And it's not only Christians who have a spiritual inheritance. The Pharisees were "children of the devil" (John 8:44) - in a spiritual sense, not a physical or biological one! The whole of mankind inherits Adam's sinfulness, therefore we all die (Christians and unbelievers alike). If sin is caused by something gone wrong in our DNA, then one day it will be possible to cure it through gene therapy (now there's a thought...).

if sin is not biologically inherited through DNA, how then do we account for those who are born of multiple deformities of body and mind.
If you're thinking of genetic diseases as being one of the consequences of sin, although this may be true spiritually, they are biologically caused by physical errors in our DNA which can be precisely identified. And what about other diseases? If all disease and death is a consequence of sin, and the sin is in our DNA, how would that account for infectious disease and accidents?

Reactions: Moses_the_younger

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sin isn't inherited through DNA - there's no "sin gene". Adam in his original state had all human DNA - when he sinned, he didn't acquire any extra! Sin is a spiritual inheritance, not a biological one.
I have to disagree with you (respectfully of course!) because to my mind, if Jesus didn't carry any human DNA then He wouldn't have been genuinely human - not truly "one of us". He would have only appeared to be human - which is a line of reasoning that in the past has led people into heresy.
Genesis 1:20-21 YLT
20) And God saith, 'Let the waters teem with the teeming living creature, and fowl let fly on the earth on the face of the expanse of the heavens.'
21) And God prepareth the great monsters, and every living creature that is creeping, which the waters have teemed with, after their kind, and every fowl with wing, after its kind, and God seeth that it is good.

To me, this verse reads like God filled the seas with life, and the skies. But even if not, He still created at least - absolute minimum - 2 of each. Two Parrots, minimum. Both were parrots, though having been each created by God, not one born from the other.

Human can mean, that which comes out of Adam, or it can mean, that which God creates according to this design. It depends on how you look at it.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just a thought, if sin is not biologically inherited through DNA, how then do we account for those who are born of multiple deformities of body and mind.
The consequential damage done by sin?

Much love!

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you David, I clearly understand your point and agree with your interpretation/ theory, maybe my wording was wrong.

You are completely welcome and rejoice in His Invitation to Eternal LIFE

I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things in the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star.”

17And the Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let him who hears say, “Come!” And let him who thirsts come. Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely.

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Human can mean, that which comes out of Adam, or it can mean, that which God creates according to this design. It depends on how you look at it.
Hmmm...
But if God created the human body of Jesus separately, ex nihilo, He wouldn't be a part of the human race that needed redemption - and so He wouldn't be qualified to redeem us. The Law required a Redeemer to be "of the same family." (Leviticus 25:48; Hebrews 2:11) "He shared in our humanity" (Hebrews 2:14) - He didn't have a humanity all to Himself.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmm...
But if God created the human body of Jesus separately, ex nihilo, He wouldn't be a part of the human race that needed redemption - and so He wouldn't be qualified to redeem us. The Law required a Redeemer to be "of the same family." (Leviticus 25:48; Hebrews 2:11) "He shared in our humanity" (Hebrews 2:14) - He didn't have a humanity all to Himself.
It's not something I'm totally settled on either way, and your's is the proper objection, I think! My wife is glad I'm not going to start a cult over this!

My thinking is only that if Jesus were born of Mary's flesh, then how is it He did not inherit sin's corruption?

Much love!

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not something I'm totally settled on either way, and your's is the proper objection, I think! My wife is glad I'm not going to start a cult over this!

My thinking is only that if Jesus were born of Mary's flesh, then how is it He did not inherit sin's corruption?

Much love!
I tell the truth in Christ, I am not lying, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Spirit, 2that I have great sorrow and continual grief in my heart. 3For I could wish that I myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my countrymen according to the flesh, 4who are Israelites, to whom pertain the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the service of God, and the promises;
5of whom are the fathers and from whom, according to the flesh, Christ came, who is over all, the eternally blessed God. Amen.
Romans ch9

Reactions: Lambano

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is where I wish Paul had not used the proto-gnostic term "sarx" (flesh) to represent the human sin-nature. It makes it as though it's our skin and bones that causes us to sin.

Adam

Nov 30, 2022
X
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It is widely assumed Jesus was a jew, but if Jesus was born of (immaculate conception) that means he wasn't from the line of Adam, although born from the womb of Mary, he also wasn't from the seed of Joseph and Mary being not their bloodline offspring. Therfore in the biological process of his birth would have bore no characteristics, hereditary or genetic traits of his Jewish earthly parents. In terms of (immaculate conception) that would place Jesus as being exclusive and unique to the human race, as he was truly GOD in the flesh.

I myself am a christian by faith believing in Jesus, and the bible being life changing wisdom. I understand this is irrelevant concerning salvation, but an interesting question open for debate.
Ethnically, Jesus was a special case. I wouldn't say he was any race, being a divine being.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is where I wish Paul had not used the proto-gnostic term "sarx" (flesh) to represent the human sin-nature. It makes it as though it's our skin and bones that causes us to sin.
The thing of it is, he wrote in many places not only using sarx, but also soma (body), the "body of sin", for instance. And "our members", literally "body parts". Where would such a "sin nature" be found, if not in a corrupted flesh?

Not the skin and bones, though, I don't think. Even before we become accountable for our choices we are making wrong choices, it's in the mind. A corrupted mind housed in a corrupted brain being in corrupted flesh. And when we are reborn we now have a spirit to go with our soul, and now our mind is to be renewed according to the new man.

Much love!

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Well, its because the sin in our heart acts out in/thru the flesh.

Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
16For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world. 17And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.
1 John 2:15-17

God judges us on what we do, good or bad, with these bodies we are currently trapped in.

For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.
1 Cor 5:10

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The thing of it is, he wrote in many places not only using sarx, but also soma (body), the "body of sin", for instance. And "our members", literally "body parts". Where would such a "sin nature" be found, if not in a corrupted flesh?
And yet, "flesh" did not carry that same connotation in the Hebrew scriptures. For example:

Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. (Ezekiel 36:26)

In this scripture, "flesh" is a good thing. The word has different symbolic meaning in Hebrew culture than first-century Greco-Roman culture. So, centuries after Ezekiel, in a culture that had Docetics who would deny that Christ could actually have real flesh, John would have to write:

For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is the deceiver and the antichrist. (2 John 1:7)

Flesh, body, members, heart, and even the bowels are just word-symbols the Bible uses to represent something inside us. Trying to put words to something that has no words.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Was Jesus a Jew ???​

OP^

A JEW, is a man born in the land of Judah / Judea, OF a lawful JEWISH PARENT.
Judah, is ONE of the Twelve Tribes of ISRAEL...
ISRAEL (12 Tribes) are a RACE of People...called Gods PEOPLE.

Yes, Jesus was born IN Bethlehem, IN Judah, to lawful/legal parents...Joseph of the House of David (Joseph a Jew) and his wife Mary (a Jew).

Matt 2:
[5] And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judaea: for thus it is written by the prophet,
[6] And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda, art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee (JUDAH) shall come a Governor, that shall rule my (Gods) people ISRAEL..

As well SAUL, (Israel’ name) was born of a lawful JEWISH RACE mother...
And called PAUL, (Gentile name) was born of a lawful GENTILE RACE father..
* SAUL...a citizen of ISRAEL, Gods People.
* PAUL...a born in Tarsus,, and citizen of the Roman Lands controlled Empire.

* SAUL...was Religiously Educated in Gods Word, and became a Pharisee.
* PAUL...was Politically Educated in Roman Law, and Preached Gods Word to Both ISRAEL and GENTILES.

Always Believing

Aug 28, 2022
Cohocton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why assume Jesus did not inherit his mother's genetic material?
This the real point here. It's how He was made physically of the seed of David which means of Abraham and Noah and Adam. His flesh and blood was no different than the rest of us, which is why we can walk as He walked on earth.

Always Believing

Aug 28, 2022
Cohocton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And yet, "flesh" did not carry that same connotation in the Hebrew scriptures. For example:

Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. (Ezekiel 36:26)

In this scripture, "flesh" is a good thing. The word has different symbolic meaning in Hebrew culture than first-century Greco-Roman culture. So, centuries after Ezekiel, in a culture that had Docetics who would deny that Christ could actually have real flesh, John would have to write:

For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is the deceiver and the antichrist. (2 John 1:7)
That's right. Antichrists were already coming out and preying upon newborn Christians.

Flesh, body, members, heart, and even the bowels are just word-symbols the Bible uses to represent something inside us. Trying to put words to something that has no words.
They can be used as natural representations of the spiritual side of man to show that the inner man is real too.

I just hope my heart never gets so dirty as my bowel movement. That's why we are told to cleanse the filthiness of the spirit and the flesh. Only half joking.