Was Jesus a Jew ???

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just hope my heart never gets so dirty as my bowel movement.
Hmm. Maybe God is making a comment on just how dirty our hearts really are?
The KJV has such weirdnesses as:

Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering... (Colossians 3:12)

For God is my record, how greatly I long after you all in the bowels of Jesus Christ. (Philippians 1:8)

Yea, brother, let me have joy of thee in the Lord: refresh my bowels in the Lord. (Philemon 1:20)

I looked up the word σπλάγχνον ("splagchnon", bowels). According to the note in Blue Letter Bible:

"The bowels were regarded as the seat of the more violent passions, such as anger and love; but by the Hebrews as the seat of the tenderer affections, esp. kindness, benevolence, compassion; hence our heart (tender mercies, affections, etc.)"

So, I submit that "bowels" should be considered a figure of speech when read in this context, as should "heart" and "flesh".
With Valentine's Day coming up, I went to CVS looking for a card that would express to my wife how I love her from the depths of my bowels. Perhaps with lots of little red and pink depictions of the lower intestine on it. Couldn't find one, darn it. Maybe I could submit this idea to the nice folks at Hallmark?

• Haha
Reactions: David in NJ

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Was Jesus a Jew ???

Jesus is the "lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David":

Rev 5:5 And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof.​
Deu_18:15 The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken;​
Zec_8:23 Thus saith the LORD of hosts; In those days it shall come to pass, that ten men shall take hold out of all languages of the nations, even shall take hold of the skirt of him that is a Jew, saying, We will go with you: for we have heard that God is with you.
Mat_2:1 Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,​
Mat_2:5 And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judaea: for thus it is written by the prophet,​
Mat_2:6 And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda, art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel.​
Luk 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli, ... ...​
Luk 3:31 Which was the son of Melea, which was the son of Menan, which was the son of Mattatha, which was the son of Nathan, which was the son of David,​
Luk 3:32 Which was the son of Jesse, which was the son of Obed, which was the son of Booz, which was the son of Salmon, which was the son of Naasson,​
Luk 3:33 Which was the son of Aminadab, which was the son of Aram, which was the son of Esrom, which was the son of Phares, which was the son of Juda,​
Luk 3:34 Which was the son of Jacob, which was the son of Isaac, which was the son of Abraham, which was the son of Thara, which was the son of Nachor,​
Luk_22:8 And he sent Peter and John, saying, Go and prepare us the passover, that we may eat.​
Luk_22:11 And ye shall say unto the goodman of the house, The Master saith unto thee, Where is the guestchamber, where I shall eat the passover with my disciples?​
Luk_22:15 And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer:​
Joh_4:9 Then saith the woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans.​
Joh_6:4 And the passover, a feast of the Jews, was nigh.​
Joh_7:42 Hath not the scripture said, That Christ cometh of the seed of David, and out of the town of Bethlehem, where David was?​
Joh 11:55 And the Jews' passover was nigh at hand: and many went out of the country up to Jerusalem before the passover, to purify themselves.​
Joh 18:33 Then Pilate entered into the judgment hall again, and called Jesus, and said unto him, Art thou the King of the Jews?​
Joh 18:34 Jesus answered him, Sayest thou this thing of thyself, or did others tell it thee of me?​
Joh 18:35 Pilate answered, Am I a Jew? Thine own nation and the chief priests have delivered thee unto me: what hast thou done?​
Joh 18:36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.​
Joh 18:37 Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.​
Joh_18:39 But ye have a custom, that I should release unto you one at the passover: will ye therefore that I release unto you the King of the Jews?​
Joh_19:3 And said, Hail, King of the Jews! and they smote him with their hands.​
Joh_19:14 And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King!​
Joh_19:19 And Pilate wrote a title, and put it on the cross. And the writing was, JESUS OF NAZARETH THE KING OF THE JEWS.​
Act_3:22 For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you.​
Act_7:37 This is that Moses, which said unto the children of Israel, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear.​
Act_26:14 And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.​
Rom_1:3 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;​
Gal_3:16 Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.​
Gal_3:29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.​
2Ti_2:8 Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel:​
Heb_7:14 For it is evident that our Lord sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning priesthood.​
If the Jews thought Jesus wasn't a "Jew" they would never have allowed Him into the Temple.

Reactions: David in NJ

Always Believing

Aug 28, 2022
Cohocton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmm. Maybe God is making a comment on just how dirty our hearts really are?
The KJV has such weirdnesses as:

Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering... (Colossians 3:12)

For God is my record, how greatly I long after you all in the bowels of Jesus Christ. (Philippians 1:8)

Yea, brother, let me have joy of thee in the Lord: refresh my bowels in the Lord. (Philemon 1:20)

I looked up the word σπλάγχνον ("splagchnon", bowels). According to the note in Blue Letter Bible:

So, I submit that "bowels" should be considered a figure of speech when read in this context, as should "heart" and "flesh".
With Valentine's Day coming up, I went to CVS looking for a card that would express to my wife how I love her from the depths of my bowels. Perhaps with lots of little red and pink depictions of the lower intestine on it. Couldn't find one, darn it. Maybe I could submit this idea to the nice folks at Hallmark?
Maybe lots of red and pink will work. Not the muddy kind. Unless you have divorce in mind. ;) Maybe just write it as a loving note i red and pink in the card. My wife unfortunately doesn't understand that kind of off-hand humor. I'd have to explain it to her, and then the wonderful moment would pass away into some complicated explanation.

Reactions: Lambano

Ancient

Aug 6, 2021
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Interestingly enough, Judaism is matrilinear, meaning Jewish decent is reckoned from the mother, not the father. As my Jewish friend explained it, while both Isaac and Ishmael were sons of Abraham. Isaac the son of Sarah is considered Jewish; Ishmael the son of Hagar the Egyptian is considered goyim. Chabad - Matrilinearity in Judaism

So, Jesus is Jewish via Mary.
Yes I understand what you are saying. But one needs to also consider in Yeshua's time the line seem to always refer to the Father. They did not have surnames in those days they were the son of so and so. Also they placed great emphasis on Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. The Fathers line seem to be how they were identified. The mother's line concept seems to be from Judaism. Why did they go to Bethlehem for the census? They had to go there because of the father's line being of the house of David. They then fled Bethlehem to Egypt because of Herod's decree of killing all the male babies under the age of 2. What a tragedy. Same thing happen when Moses was born. Wink Wink.

Also consider the twelve tribes are all named after the Fathers. No mention of their wives. Aaron the first High Priest and every other High Priest that followed until Messiah Yeshua were to be from the line of Aaron, again the Father. I could go on and on.

Shalom

Last edited:

Always Believing

Aug 28, 2022
Cohocton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interestingly enough, Judaism is matrilinear, meaning Jewish decent is reckoned from the mother, not the father. As my Jewish friend explained it, while both Isaac and Ishmael were sons of Abraham. Isaac the son of Sarah is considered Jewish; Ishmael the son of Hagar the Egyptian is considered goyim. Chabad - Matrilinearity in Judaism

So, Jesus is Jewish via Mary.
I don't go with Jewish customs but the point of Jewish via Mary is spot on anyway. He was made of the seed of David via Mary's flesh and womb.

Inexplicable

Mar 22, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If you're thinking of genetic diseases as being one of the consequences of sin, they are biologically caused by physical errors in our DNA
And that i believe is the point I'm trying to make, that physical errors in humanity's DNA is the precise cause of SIN..

Last edited:

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And that i believe is the point I'm trying to make, that physical errors in humanity's DNA is the precise cause of SIN..
Precious friend, A Very Warm Welcome to the Board.

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged, Enlightened, Exhorted, And Edified In
The LORD JESUS CHRIST, And In His Word Of Truth, Rightly
Divided
! (+ I and II!)

Grace, Peace, And JOY!…

Jan 11, 2023
Barbosa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not something I'm totally settled on either way, and your's is the proper objection, I think! My wife is glad I'm not going to start a cult over this!

My thinking is only that if Jesus were born of Mary's flesh, then how is it He did not inherit sin's corruption?

Much love!
Because the sinful nature is passed down from the father, not the mother. Jesus is our kinsman redeemer, and as Deborah posted, needs to be related to us (by Mary) in order to die in our place. That is why in Genesis, God tells Eve that the Messiah will be the seed of the woman (not seed of the man, as all natural births are).

I think this is also another reason why only males were to be circumcised - the sinful nature was understood as being passed down by the male, so even though females inherited a sinful nature via their fathers, they didn't pass it down (and hence didn't need an equivalent symbol for circumcision - removing this nature for their future offspring).

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because the sinful nature is passed down from the father, not the mother. Jesus is our kinsman redeemer, and as Deborah posted, needs to be related to us (by Mary) in order to die in our place. That is why in Genesis, God tells Eve that the Messiah will be the seed of the woman (not seed of the man, as all natural births are).

I think this is also another reason why only males were to be circumcised - the sinful nature was understood as being passed down by the male, so even though females inherited a sinful nature via their fathers, they didn't pass it down (and hence didn't need an equivalent symbol for circumcision - removing this nature for their future offspring).
Precious friend, A Very Warm Welcome to the Board.

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged, Enlightened, Exhorted, And Edified In
The LORD JESUS CHRIST, And In His Word Of Truth, Rightly
Divided
! (+ I and II!)

Grace, Peace, And JOY!…

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is widely assumed Jesus was a jew, but if Jesus was born of (immaculate conception) that means he wasn't from the line of Adam, although born from the womb of Mary, he also wasn't from the seed of Joseph and Mary being not their bloodline offspring. Therfore in the biological process of his birth would have bore no characteristics, hereditary or genetic traits of his Jewish earthly parents. In terms of (immaculate conception) that would place Jesus as being exclusive and unique to the human race, as he was truly GOD in the flesh.

I myself am a christian by faith believing in Jesus, and the bible being life changing wisdom. I understand this is irrelevant concerning salvation, but an interesting question open for debate.

Jesus was SENT to Earth from Heaven ... to FULFILL the LAW.
WHAT LAW?
Two fold...Mosaic Law...and Mans Law.

Mosaic Law...is a Law giving a particular RACE of PEOPLE...(Hebrews, Tribes of Israel, basically for the last 2,000 years, all calling themselves JEWS)...Jews being of the ISRAEL tribe of Judah....but has become, inclusive of ANY man belonging BY (blood-line descent) to ANY of the 12 Tribes of Israel.

Mans Law...is that which governs over the RACE of PEOPLE....ie Gentiles.

* Jesus took UPON Himself the SEED of Abraham...
Both RACES....Jews and Gentiles....Accept Abraham being a FAITHFUL Servant of God....
Both RACES....Jews and Gentiles....TRACE their historical blood-line lineage,
Back to Abraham.
True...the Jews, through the Decent of Abrahams son...ISAAC.
True...many Gentiles, through the Descent of Abrahams son...ISHMAEL.

* What SEED of Abraham DID Jesus “take upon Himself” ?
* Two fold...
1) ** The descending SEED of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, to the “House of David”, whom God Established an Everlasting Throne (in Jerusalem) and David was seated on that throne as King....and other’s followed thereafter...and ONE shall be the LAST King, seated on that throne, and the same SHALL be Heir to Abraham’s Promised Land, ie the LAST King’s (JESUS), Earthly Kingdom (inheritance of Abraham’s Promised Land).
2) ** Remembering....Abraham’s Blessing FROM the KING of Salem (Jerusalem)?
Remember....Jesus saying, Abraham saw Christ Jesus’ Day, and was glad?
That is the DAY, Abraham was BLESSED with Gods SEED. Quickened, Born Again, by Gods SEED, who is: Christ.

ANY man (Jew or Gentile) who HAS RECEIVED the SEED of God, is quickened, born again, and BY Gods Order and Way, Has taken upon themselves;
The SAME SEED as Abraham.

It is not about a Gentile becoming a Jew or tribal (Israel). It is not about Blood descendant-ship. It is not about a mans Sperm or a woman’s Ovum.

* It is: expressly about; WHOMEVER, has RECEIVED the SEED of God (Christ, WITH-IN them)....IS accounted AS:
A son of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, King David...A son of God...and A son entitled to: inheritance of Abraham’s promised Land.

Remember God Promising FAITHFUL Abraham, a Father-ship, of many Nations?
That is our current status. Men from many Different Nations, Becoming, Blessed with Gods SEED, and Gods son-ship, and sons of Abraham.

Correct...Mary’s, blood, ovum, idea, had nothing to do with God sending His Word forth out of His mouth, in a body God Prepared, to Mary’s virgin womb, and she being betrothed then married to a man OF the House of David....
Satisfying...BOTH...
* Mosaic Hebrew, Tribal Law
* Gentile mans Law

Glory to God,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Man-KIND (male and female) have a natural born SIN-full nature.
Man-KIND Are naturally BORN IN SIN...not knowing, loving, believing IN GOD.

* Jesus (the Word of God), was SENT FORTH out of Gods MOUTH...
In a HUMBLED and FAITHFUL body (without Gods Word REPUTATION), which God Prepared, To Mary’s Womb...
* WHILE Jesus (the Word of God) was ON Earth, it was REVEALED, expressly by God to Simon Barjona, THAT Jesus IS the Christ, the Son of the Living God;
(REVEALING Jesus’ REPUTATION).
* Thereafter the Jewish Apostles TAUGHT willing Listeners...
Jesus IS the Word of God.
Jesus IS the Christ Messiah.
Jesus IS the Son of God.
Jesus IS God in the Flesh.
Christ IS the Forgiver of man-KIND, who turn to BELIEF in the Lord God.
Christ IS the Salvation of God.
Christ IS the Power of God.
Christ IS the Wisdom of God.
Christ IS the SEED of God.

A mans SEED sperm, a woman’s SEED ovum, had NOTHING to do with “creating or making” CHRIST JESUS, who is WITHOUT Beginning or Ending.

@ Moses_the_younger

God reveals bit by bit, little by little.
Male circumcision was literal ACT of KILLING a bit of a males natural Fore-SKIN.
It was a mans PHYSICAL ACT.
Yet a BRIEF mention in the OT, eluded to MORE that was REVEALED LATER.
That BRIEF mention....the circumcision of the HEART...EFFECTED BY God.

Deut 30:
[6] And the LORD thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live.

Rom 2:
[29] But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

The WOMAN is man-KIND, OF Nations.
Man is each connected to a NATION (woman, she, her, female connotation).
(Ie US pledges...songs...God Bless America, stand beside HER, and guild HER, an appeal to God for the US NATION)
Nations have “governors”, leaders, whatever you want to call them, by whatever title, President, king, emperor, etc.
AND regardless WHOEVER sits as Governor, DICTATOR, governing rules, laws, that are IN OPPOSITION to Gods Acceptance.....NO MATTER.

Man-KIND has been OFFERED, an OPPORTUNITY...to BE “CUT OFF”...Divided, Separated, From Corrupt “governors”....and MADE SAVED, exclusively UNTO the Lord God....and MADE BORN AGAIN by the POWER of God and “HIS” SEED.

And that SEED is Planted in a mans Circumcised HEART, supernaturally, and BIRTHS a mans “natural spirit (which is his natural truth)”, into a “spiritual spirit (which is Gods truth)”.
Called...Converted IN Christ.
Gods Spirit of Truth IN that man.
And such a man IS MADE, a son of God....SAME as Abraham, Issac, Jacob and King David....thus THAT man is thereafter....having taken on the same SEED as Abraham, Issac, Jacob, King David....that man IS also sons of Abraham, Issac, Jacob, Kind David.

It has NOTHING to do with a mans sperm, a woman’s ovum.

Glory to God,
Taken

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Jewish people read the Bible too, you know. :eek:

(I used to listen to a radio program on one of the Miami stations put out by the Jewish Defense League. Loved the rhetoric. I remember the JDL spokesman lamenting his own people's lack of Torah study with the pithy line, "Apparently, Jews wrote the Bible so that Baptists could read it". Cracked me up.)

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, which is why I fact-checked it against both Wikipedia and Chabad, the latter being a very Jewish organization who ought to know how Jews define themselves.

The Code of Jewish Law clearly states that a child of a Jewish mother is Jewish, regardless of the father’s lineage (or whatever else may show up in a DNA test), while the child of a non-Jewish mother is not Jewish. Matrilineal descent has been a fundamental principle of Torah since the Jewish people came into existence.

So, by Jewish law, Jesus is Jewish.
Well said, Kudosh!
when as, γαρ, for his mother Mary was found with child, not of man, no, not of Joseph her husband; Christ had no real father as man, Joseph was only, as was supposed, his father; but
of the Holy Ghost, according to Luk_1:35
. "The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee", &c. and this was done that the human nature of Christ might be clear of original pollution; that so being the immediate produce of the Holy Ghost and without sin, it might be fit for union with the Son of God, and for the office of Mediator he had undertook. When Mary is said to be
found with child, the meaning is, it appeared by evident signs, it was observed by Joseph particularly, who might know not only that she was with child, but with child of the Holy Ghost; by conversation with her, who might relate to him what passed between the Angel and her, Luk_1:28 though it looks as if as yet he did not know this, or at least was not fully satisfied about it; since he had a mind to have put her away, before he was assured of the truth of it, by the appearance of an angel to him. Now Mary's being with child, and its being known, were facts, at the time when she was
espoused to Joseph, and thereby the outward credit both of Mary and Jesus were secured; for had this appeared before the espousals, the Jews would have fixed a brand of infamy on them both; and both the espousals and her being found with child, were
before they came together; that is, before they cohabited together as man and wife, before he brought her home to his own house and bed.

The espousals were before they thus came together. It was usual with the Jews first to espouse or betroth, and then to marry, or rather consummate the marriage, by bringing the woman home to her husband's house, between which there was some space of time. The account and manner of betrothing is given by Maimonides (y) in the following words.
"Before the giving of the law, if a man met a woman in the street, if he would, he might take her, and bring her into his house and marry her between him and herself, and she became his wife; but when the law was given, the Israelites were commanded, that if a man would take a woman he should obtain her before witnesses, and after that she should be his wife, according to Deu_22:13 and these takings are an affirmative command of the law, and are called או אירוסין קידושין "espousals" or "betrothings" in every place; and a woman who is obtained in such a way is called או מאורסת מקודשת "espoused" or "betrothed"; and when a woman is obtained, and becomes מקודשת "espoused", although she is not yet נבעלה "married, nor has entered into her husband's house", yet she is a man's wife.''
And such a distinction between a married woman and a betrothed virgin, which was Mary's case, may be observed in Deu_22:22 moreover, her being found or appearing to be with child, was "before they came together"; which it is likely, as Dr. Lightfoot (z) observes, was about three months from her conception, when she was returned from her cousin Elizabeth. It is probable that as soon as she was espoused to Joseph, or quickly after, she went and paid her visit to Elizabeth, with whom she stayed about three months, and then returned home, Luk_1:56. Upon her return home, she appears to be with child, with which she had gone three months, a proper time for the discovery of such a matter, Gen_38:24 and which is assigned by the Jewish doctors for this purpose. In the Misna (a) such a case as this is put,
"If two men should espouse two women, and at the time of their entrance into the bride chamber, the one should be taken for the other--they separate them for three months, because they may prove with child;''
that is, as Bartenora observes upon it,
"they separate them that they may not return to their husbands; and that if they should be with child, they may distinguish between a legitimate and an illegitimate offspring; and that the children which they may bring forth may not be ascribed to the wrong persons.''
Now Mary being gone three months from the time of her espousals to Joseph, and he and she not being yet come together, it was a clear case, that the child she was gone three months with, was none of his; hence it follows,

(y) Hilchot. Ishot. c. 1. sect. 1, 2, 3. (z) In loc. (a) Yebamot, c. 3. sect. 10.

The son of Abraham. Abraham was the first to whom a particular promise was made, that the Messiah should spring from, Gen_22:18. The first promise in Gen_3:15 only signified that he should be the seed of the woman; and it would have been sufficient for the fulfilment of it, if he had been born of any woman, in whatsoever nation, tribe, or family; but by the promise made to Abraham he was to descend from him, as Jesus did; who took upon him the seed of Abraham, Heb_2:16 or assumed an human nature which sprung from him, and is therefore truly the son of Abraham. The reason why Christ is first called the son of David, and then the son of Abraham, is partly because the former was a more known name of the Messiah; and partly that the transition to the genealogy of Christ might be more easy and natural, beginning with Abraham, whom the Jews call (q) ראש היחס the "head of the genealogy", and the root and foundation of it, as Matthew here makes him to be; wherefore a Jew cannot be displeased with the Evangelist for beginning the genealogy of our Lord at, Abraham.
(o) Apud Wagenseil. Tela Ignea. (p) T. Bab. Sanhedrim, fol. 97. 1. Shir Hashirim Rabba, fol. 11. 4. (q) Juchasin, fol. 8. 1. Tzeror Hammor. fol. 29. 3. & 154. 4.
Gill

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well said, Kudosh!
Very Difficult to read, so, to make this "more manageable" for reading and understanding:
When as, γαρ [Jesus?], for His mother Mary was found with child, not of man, no, not of Joseph her husband; Christ had no real father as man, Joseph was only, as was supposed, his father; but of the Holy Ghost, according to Luk_1:35.

"The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee", &c. and this was done that the human nature of Christ might be clear of original pollution; that so being the immediate produce of the Holy Ghost and without sin, it might be fit for union with the Son of God, and for the office of Mediator he had undertook.

When Mary is said to be found with child, the meaning is, it appeared by evident signs, it was observed by Joseph particularly, who might know not only that she was with child, but with child of the Holy Ghost; by conversation with her, who might relate to him what passed between the Angel and her, Luk_1:28 though it looks as if as yet he did not know this, or at least was not fully satisfied about it; since he had a mind to have put her away, before he was assured of the truth of it, by the appearance of an angel to him.

Now Mary's being with child, and its being known, were facts, at the time when she was
espoused to Joseph, and thereby the outward credit both of Mary and Jesus were secured; for had this appeared before the espousals, the Jews would have fixed a brand of infamy on them both; and both the espousals and her being found with child, were before they came together; that is, before they cohabited together as man and wife, before he brought her home to his own house and bed.

The espousals were before they thus came together. It was usual with the Jews first to espouse or betroth, and then to marry, or rather consummate the marriage, by bringing the woman home to her husband's house, between which there was some space of time.

The account and manner of betrothing is given by Maimonides (y) in the following words.
"Before the giving of the law, if a man met a woman in the street, if he would, he might take her, and bring her into his house and marry her between him and herself, and she became his wife; but when the law was given, the Israelites were commanded, that if a man would take a woman he should obtain her before witnesses, and after that she should be his wife, according to Deu_22:13 and these takings are an affirmative command of the law, and are called או אירוסין קידושין "espousals" or "betrothings" in every place; and a woman who is obtained in such a way is called או מאורסת מקודשת "espoused" or "betrothed"; and when a woman is obtained, and becomes מקודשת "espoused", although she is not yet נבעלה "married, nor has entered into her husband's house", yet she is a man's wife.''

And such a distinction between a married woman and a betrothed virgin, which was Mary's case, may be observed in Deu_22:22 moreover, her being found or appearing to be with child, was "before they came together"; which it is likely, as Dr. Lightfoot (z) observes, was about three months from her conception, when she was returned from her cousin Elizabeth.

It is probable that as soon as she was espoused to Joseph, or quickly after, she went and paid her visit to Elizabeth, with whom she stayed about three months, and then returned home, Luk_1:56.

Upon her return home, she appears to be with child, with which she had gone three months, a proper time for the discovery of such a matter, Gen_38:24 and which is assigned by the Jewish doctors for this purpose.

In the Misna (a) such a case as this is put, "If two men should espouse two women, and at the time of their entrance into the bride chamber, the one should be taken for the other--they separate them for three months, because they may prove with child; ''that is, as Bartenora observes upon it, "they separate them that they may not return to their husbands; and that if they should be with child, they may distinguish between a legitimate and an illegitimate offspring; and that the children which they may bring forth may not be ascribed to the wrong persons.

''Now Mary being gone three months from the time of her espousals to Joseph, and he and she not being yet come together, it was a clear case, that the child she was gone three months with, was none of his; hence it follows,
(y) Hilchot. Ishot. c. 1. sect. 1, 2, 3. (z) In loc. (a) Yebamot, c. 3. sect. 10.

The son of Abraham. Abraham was the first to whom a particular promise was made, that the Messiah should spring from, Gen_22:18.

The first promise in Gen_3:15 only signified that he should be the seed of the woman; and it would have been sufficient for the fulfilment of it, if he had been born of any woman, in whatsoever nation, tribe, or family; but by the promise made to Abraham he was to descend from him, as Jesus did; who took upon him the seed of Abraham, Heb_2:16 or assumed an human nature which sprung from him, and is therefore truly the son of Abraham.

The reason why Christ is first called the son of David, and then the son of Abraham, is partly because the former was a more known name of the Messiah; and partly that the transition to the genealogy of Christ might be more easy and natural, beginning with Abraham, whom the Jews call (q) ראש היחס the "head of the genealogy", and the root and foundation of it, as Matthew here makes him to be; wherefore a Jew cannot be displeased with the Evangelist for beginning the genealogy of our Lord at, Abraham. (o) Apud Wagenseil. Tela Ignea. (p) T. Bab. Sanhedrim, fol. 97. 1. Shir Hashirim Rabba, fol. 11. 4. (q) Juchasin, fol. 8. 1. Tzeror Hammor. fol. 29. 3. & 154. 4.

Gill

------------------------

My precious friend, @Johann, if I may say so, this "copy and paste" from "Gill" was still
Very, Very Difficult to read and understand, even after I tried my best to "break-it-up"
into easier-to-read sections. I don't think many others will be reading it, because:

1) Some of the "sentences" are way too long.

2) People who only know one language will have trouble with understanding a
"combination of languages."

Precious friend:

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged and Edified With God's Word Of Truth on your journey.

Grace, Peace, And JOY In Christ, And In His Word Of Truth, Rightly
Divided (+ I and II)
!

Reactions: Johann

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I myself am a christian by faith believing in Jesus, and the bible being life changing wisdom. I understand this is irrelevant concerning salvation, but an interesting question open for debate.
No. It is not "open for debate". The genealogies of Christ confirm that His ancestry went all the way back to Judah. And the term "Jew" applies to the descendants of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. It would be more appropriate to say that Christ was a "Hebrew of the Hebrews" and from the line of David. That is why He is called "David's son" (Luke 20:41).