Was Jesus lying? What are your thoughts?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did Jesus lie to His disciples in verse 28?

“From that time Jesus began to show to His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised the third day. Then Peter took Him aside and began to rebuke Him, saying, “Far be it from You, Lord; this shall not happen to You!” But He turned and said to Peter, “Get behind Me, Satan! You are an offense to Me, for you are not mindful of the things of God, but the things of men.” Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works.

28 “Assuredly, I say to you, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.””
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭16:21-28‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Was Jesus lying to His disciples when He explained to the what would happen though they wouldn’t know when the starting would begin but would know when they started seeing things going on around them?

“Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives opposite the temple, Peter, James, John, and Andrew asked Him privately, “Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign when all these things will be fulfilled?”

And Jesus, answering them, began to say: “Take heed that no one deceives you. For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am He,’ and will deceive many. But when you hear of wars and rumors of wars, do not be troubled; for such things must happen, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be earthquakes in various places, and there will be famines and troubles. These are the beginnings of sorrows. “But watch out for yourselves, for they will deliver you up to councils, and you will be beaten in the synagogues. You will be brought before rulers and kings for My sake, for a testimony to them. And the gospel must first be preached to all the nations. But when they arrest you and deliver you up, do not worry beforehand, or premeditate what you will speak. But whatever is given you in that hour, speak that; for it is not you who speak, but the Holy Spirit. Now brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; and children will rise up against parents and cause them to be put to death. And you will be hated by all for My name’s sake. But he who endures to the end shall be saved. “So when you see the ‘abomination of desolation,’ spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not” (let the reader understand), “then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. Let him who is on the housetop not go down into the house, nor enter to take anything out of his house. And let him who is in the field not go back to get his clothes. But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days! And pray that your flight may not be in winter. For in those days there will be tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the creation which God created until this time, nor ever shall be. And unless the Lord had shortened those days, no flesh would be saved; but for the elect’s sake, whom He chose, He shortened the days. “Then if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or, ‘Look, He is there!’ do not believe it. For false christs and false prophets will rise and show signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. But take heed; see, I have told you all things beforehand. “But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars of heaven will fall, and the powers in the heavens will be shaken. Then they will see the Son of Man coming in the clouds with great power and glory. And then He will send His angels, and gather together His elect from the four winds, from the farthest part of earth to the farthest part of heaven. “Now learn this parable from the fig tree: When its branch has already become tender, and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near. So you also, when you see these things happening, know that it is near—at the doors! Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away. “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. Take heed, watch and pray; for you do not know when the time is. It is like a man going to a far country, who left his house and gave authority to his servants, and to each his work, and commanded the doorkeeper to watch. Watch therefore, for you do not know when the master of the house is coming—in the evening, at midnight, at the crowing of the rooster, or in the morning— lest, coming suddenly, he find you sleeping. And what I say to you, I say to all: Watch!””
‭‭Mark‬ ‭13:3-37‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

Was Jesus lying when he told his disciples these things?

“Then Jesus went out and departed from the temple, and His disciples came up to show Him the buildings of the temple. And Jesus said to them, “Do you not see all these things? Assuredly, I say to you, not one stone shall be left here upon another, that shall not be thrown down.” Now as He sat on the Mount of Olives, the disciples came to Him privately, saying, “Tell us, when will these things be? And what will be the sign of Your coming, and of the end of the age?”

And Jesus answered and said to them: “Take heed that no one deceives you. For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many. And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of sorrows. “Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name’s sake. And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another. Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. But he who endures to the end shall be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in all the world as a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come. “Therefore when you see the ‘abomination of desolation,’ spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing in the holy place” (whoever reads, let him understand), “then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains. Let him who is on the housetop not go down to take anything out of his house. And let him who is in the field not go back to get his clothes. But woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days! And pray that your flight may not be in winter or on the Sabbath. For then there will be great tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the world until this time, no, nor ever shall be. And unless those days were shortened, no flesh would be saved; but for the elect’s sake those days will be shortened. “Then if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Christ!’ or ‘There!’ do not believe it. For false christs and false prophets will rise and show great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. See, I have told you beforehand. “Therefore if they say to you, ‘Look, He is in the desert!’ do not go out; or ‘Look, He is in the inner rooms!’ do not believe it. For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. For wherever the carcass is, there the eagles will be gathered together. “Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. And He will send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other. “Now learn this parable from the fig tree: When its branch has already become tender and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near. So you also, when you see all these things, know that it is near—at the doors! Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away. “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only. But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, and did not know until the flood came and took them all away, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. Then two men will be in the field: one will be taken and the other left. Two women will be grinding at the mill: one will be taken and the other left. Watch therefore, for you do not know what hour your Lord is coming. But know this, that if the master of the house had known what hour the thief would come, he would have watched and not allowed his house to be broken into. Therefore you also be ready, for the Son of Man is coming at an hour you do not expect.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭24:1-44‬ ‭NKJV‬‬

There is so much to consider in the context of the word itself.

Reactions: amadeus

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just put this out there for people to consider: if you have comment you may share it let’s be respectful of each other’s different views if you do.

Will tell you, I personally stand on what Jesus told his disciples that it would happen and that He was not lying.

Abaxvahl

Sep 13, 2021
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was Jesus lying when he told his disciples these things?

He was not lying. The first quotation from St. Matthew refers to His Passover and His transfiguration, which was seen. The last two quotes from St. Mark and St. Matthew refer to His judgment on Jerusalem, which happened and some of the disciples were aware of (St. John for instance who lived through that era). Both things were fulfilled.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

28 “Assuredly, I say to you, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the Son of Man coming in His kingdom.””

"Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?" John 11:25-26

People are born dead to their natural mothers. Believers in Jesus who endure with him to the end [of natural life] never die, even though their bodies of flesh die.

Reactions: marks and MatthewG

Bruce Atkinson

Sep 25, 2021
Western MA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would seem that the original poster lacks some detail regarding Jesus earthly ministry.

In particular, in Luke 18:31-34, He tells them again about what is about to happen

Luk 18:31 Then he took unto him the twelve, and said unto them, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem, and all things that are written by the prophets concerning the Son of man shall be accomplished.
Luk 18:32 For he shall be delivered unto the Gentiles, and shall be mocked, and spitefully entreated, and spitted on:
Luk 18:33 And they shall scourge him, and put him to death: and the third day he shall rise again.
Luk 18:34 And they understood none of these things: and this saying was hid from them, neither knew they the things which were spoken. (KJV)

Note especially verse 34. God intentionally hid understanding this from them. See Deuteronomy 29:29

Deu 29:29 The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law. (KJV)

Think about it. If they KNEW that Jesus would be crucified, they'd do whatever they could to prevent him from going to Jerusalem in the first place. His not going to Jerusalem and not being crucified would mean He did NOT come to fulfill all the OT prophecy showing that He WAS the promised Messiah. Isaiah 53 clearly shows this:

Isa 53:1 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?
Isa 53:2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.
Isa 53:3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
Isa 53:4 Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.
Isa 53:5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
Isa 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.
Isa 53:7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.
Isa 53:8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.
Isa 53:9 And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.
Isa 53:10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.
Isa 53:11 He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for he shall bear their iniquities.
Isa 53:12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors. (KJV)

If Jesus did NOT fulfill what Isaiah and other prophets wrote about him, then He was NOT Israels' Messiah, nor would HE be our savior.

Similarly, they did not know that He would rise from the dead on the 3rd day, as that was hidden from them even on resurrection morning. If they knew He would rise from the dead, they would have been waiting at the tomb on Resurrection Morning as shown in John 20:1-9

Joh 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.
Joh 20:2 Then she runneth, and cometh to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and saith unto them, They have taken away the Lord out of the sepulchre, and we know not where they have laid him.
Joh 20:3 Peter therefore went forth, and that other disciple, and came to the sepulchre.
Joh 20:4 So they ran both together: and the other disciple did outrun Peter, and came first to the sepulchre.
Joh 20:5 And he stooping down, and looking in, saw the linen clothes lying; yet went he not in.
Joh 20:6 Then cometh Simon Peter following him, and went into the sepulchre, and seeth the linen clothes lie,
Joh 20:7 And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself.
Joh 20:8 Then went in also that other disciple, which came first to the sepulchre, and he saw, and believed.
Joh 20:9 For as yet they knew not the scripture, that he must rise again from the dead.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just put this out there for people to consider: if you have comment you may share it let’s be respectful of each other’s different views if you do.

Will tell you, I personally stand on what Jesus told his disciples that it would happen and that He was not lying.
Of course He wasn't lying.

?

What did they see?

Much love!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most of them saw the end of their life come before their very eyes, and John was the only one left who foretold the remaining coming of the wrath of God upon the Nation of Israel.

Much love to you to brother,
Matthew G.

Bruce Atkinson

Sep 25, 2021
Western MA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One of the things that the disciples and all of Israel expected was that the promised Messiah would set up the promised earthly Kingdom upon His FIRST coming, right after the 7 years tribulation prophesied by Daniel 9:24-27. Israel is still waiting for what they perceive is the first appearance of the Messiah.

Act 1:6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel? (KJV)

Notice the word: 'restore' above. They were all expecting a King David-like King (Conan the Destroyer type?) to push Rome out of Israel and restore the powerful kingdom that was once Israel.

Nowhere in the Old Testament nor the 4 Gospels was there any hint that there'd be a 2000 year 'break' between Jesus' ascension and the coming tribulation while God 'set Israel aside' and sent Paul (previously known as Saul) to the Gentiles preaching faith only, without works, for salvation. They all expected some brief period of time - perhaps a couple of years at most - before the tribulation would begin and when complete, the Kingdom would be restored. It's clear that the world is so very close to the start of the tribulation preceded by the rapture of the Christian church. So Israel won't have long to wait before Jesus returns to set up His Kingdom.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Was Jesus lying when he told his disciples these .
Jesus is the true and faithful witness, which is another way of saying that He never lied, but He also admitted openly that He didn't know when He would return.
The original writings of scripture didn't have chapter and verse numbers, so it's no coincidence that chapter 17 begins with the transformation on the mount. In that transformation Jesus appeared in glory with Moses and Elijah before the witness of a small select group of disciples, the "some" of verse 16:28, who witnessed Jesus in His glory with those two prophets of His kingdom. That was a short term fulfillment of His prophetic word in Matthew 16:28 that points toward a final fulfillment at His return in judgment.
The historian Flavius Josephus tells us that some of the generation that rejected Christ were expecting His return in 70 AD at the head of Roman Legions and that the watchman were even using the phrase "the son is coming" as a warning for the approaching Roman army.
I would think that Jesus was aware of the greater extent of the world if for no other reason that Satan showed Him all the kingdoms of the world during the wilderness temptations, but in John's gospel we're told that Jesus said what the Father gave Him to say, and did the works that the Father showed Him.
When the High priest and San hedren were looking to arrest Him, and His family was going to Jerusalem to celebrate one of the feasts, He declined to go with them because it was not yet His time. However, He did then go up to Jerusalem. He didn't lie to His family, but was waiting on His time, the moment the Father would send Him.

When Jesus referred to His disciples as the generation that would see all that tribulation before His return, He was also telling the truth if you understand that He was speaking to the generation of those who would believe in Him, the generation of the righteous (by faith). In spiritual terms there aren't many generations, just 2, the generation of the righteous and the generation of God's wrath.
Everyone who is born again of the Holy Spirit constitutes the generation of the righteous and there's really no such thing as a 2nd generation Christian. We all must be born again, and to the generation of the just. The saints are all to witness the judgment of the Earth, the scripture calls it a reward of sorts, the opportunity to see God avenge the blood of His saints, to see the execution of justice on their behalf.
I don't intend to address everything in your post, but I find that the Lord answers every question that arises about what may appear contradictory in His word. Many things in scripture have to be understood spiritually or the testimony of scripture about itself would be untrue.
13 These things we also speak, not in words which man’s wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15 But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one. 1 Corinthians 2:13-15