Was Jesus tempted by his own desire?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
James 1:

14 But one is tempted by one’s own desire, being lured and enticed by it; 15 then, when that desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin, and that sin, when it is fully grown, gives birth to death.
Was Jesus tempted in this stepwise manner?

I don't think so. Jesus had a higher standard or definition of sin. Matthew 5:

28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
Matthew 15:

19 For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, and slander.
To him, the thinking of a sin in concrete details is sin. It is internal before exhibiting itself in action externally. He applies this definition on himself.

This is how I read James 1:

14 But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. 15 Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin [action], and sin [nature] when it is fully grown brings forth death.
Was Jesus tempted according to the steps described in James 1:14? No. But He was tempted like us, Hebrews 4:

15 For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin
i.e., without sinning in his thoughts.

Ellicott explained:

“Was tempted in all points in like manner,” are words which must not be over-pressed; but the essential principles of temptation may be traced in those with which Jesus was assailed.
Matthew Poole:

being outwardly tempted by the devil to sin; inwardly he could not, being perfectly holy.
Jesus declared in John 6:

38 "For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me."
Jesus was exposed to the worldly temptations he faced every day. He was tempted like us. On top of that, he was tempted unlike us. Satan tempted him to perform miracles for himself. Turn stone into bread (Matthew 4:3). Come down from the cross and we will believe you (Matthew 27:42).

I don't think so. Jesus' desire was to do the will of the Father.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James 1:

Was Jesus tempted in this stepwise manner?

I don't think so. Jesus had a higher standard or definition of sin. Matthew 5:

Matthew 15:

To him, the thinking of a sin in concrete details is sin. It is internal before exhibiting itself in action externally. He applies this definition on himself.

This is how I read James 1:

Was Jesus tempted according to the steps described in James 1:14? No. But He was tempted like us, Hebrews 4:

i.e., without sinning in his thoughts.

Ellicott explained:

Matthew Poole:

Jesus declared in John 6:

Jesus was exposed to the worldly temptations he faced every day. He was tempted like us. On top of that, he was tempted unlike us. Satan tempted him to perform miracles for himself. Turn stone into bread (Matthew 4:3). Come down from the cross and we will believe you (Matthew 27:42).

I don't think so. Jesus' desire was to do the will of the Father.
"Was Jesus tempted by his own desire?

I don't think so. Jesus' desire was to do the will of the Father."

Was tempted in all points in like manner,”

Also, in the garden, did He not ask The Father to take this cup from Him, with tears like blood" That sounds like He was truly tempted to have God stop Him from what was coming. He NEVER gave in to the temptations but I believe He surely was tempted IMHO, as you say, His will is to do the Father's will at all times. And, He was the only perfect human alive then and now, amen.