Was John the Baptist an Essene

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I myself have just recently started studying the Dead Sea Scroll / Essence connection. Dr Ken Johnson who is considered by many an expert on the DSS has published the Testaments of the Patriarchs found in the DSS. First of all, I agree this is not Canon nor am I suggesting that it should be. The testaments could be early fiction but I don't think so. They have an overwhelming message consistent with the scriptures. The testament from Arron for example has Arron warning the future generations not to have anything to do with the crucifixion of the Messiah.
What is not in doubt is the age of these testaments. When backdated using the Essene calendar they are very accurate. (I'm still learning though). These testaments have numerous prophecies. I understand them to be like letters written for future generations of their own families. So far I have not seen anything inconsistent with the scriptures. Some researchers make claims that these Patriarchs testaments are a source for the authors of the New Testament. It seems to prove that Paul for example was a convert to the Essene teachings in his reference to following "The Way". I do not think the New Testament authors lifted doctrine from these testaments but they must have known about them. As mentioned this is new to me and I'm still digging but I find it fascinating. I feel that we will gain knowledge in the last days.

Well it is all a good study. A lot went on between the testaments. We know more now than just a few decades ago. There is a lot of Jewish history that is coming to light and the depository of old texts at Qumran may predate the Essenes several centuries. They may have found some of these caves and decided to take up the effort.

Historically some of these texts shed some light into what was going on in between the testaments and during the New Testament era.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Melchizedek, Essene Priesthood, Jesus, John the Baptist, there seems to be a connection.
There is a section of the article on wikipedia that points to that by some scholars:

"Some scholars maintain that John belonged to the Essenes, a semi-ascetic Jewish sect who expected a messiah and practiced ritual baptism. John used baptism as the central symbol or sacrament of his pre-messianic movement. Most scholars agree that John baptized Jesus, and several New Testament accounts report that some of Jesus' early followers had previously been followers of John."

TEXBOW

Jul 8, 2021
Cypress
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well it is all a good study. A lot went on between the testaments. We know more now than just a few decades ago. There is a lot of Jewish history that is coming to light and the depository of old texts at Qumran may predate the Essenes several centuries. They may have found some of these caves and decided to take up the effort.

Historically some of these texts shed some light on what was going on in between the testaments and during the New Testament era.
I think at minimum new information coming from these discoveries could tip the scales one way or another regarding things we now simply are not sure of (not matters of doctrine) regarding timelines or early Christianity.

Reactions: LouisWilliams

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some think that John the Baptist was an Essene. Some say the Essenes were Gnostic or some of them were Gnostic. Maybe they became Gnostic at some point.

I can understand what some people believe for themselves, and a “title” to imply a grouping of like believing people.
Essenes, according to my understanding were more along the line of “Mystics”.
Essenes, Mystics, Philosophers, Gnostics, whatever...individuals “claim” as their “niche”, IMO applies to “them”.
“Deciding” what applies to others, (where there is no evidence of the other making such claim)... is simply Opinion and irrelevant.

IMO, John the Baptist was expressly chosen by God (to do a specific Service unto God)...and Did so.
IMO, Every man is expressly chosen by God to do a specific Service unto God.
(However not Every man, Does so, or gets his Name mentioned in the Bible...
Pretty confident God has His own Books for record keeping of all men’s names and Services and Works.) :)

Glory to God,
Taken

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think at minimum new information coming from these discoveries could tip the scales one way or another regarding things we now simply are not sure of (not matters of doctrine) regarding timelines or early Christianity.

It is all good stuff.

TEXBOW

Jul 8, 2021
Cypress
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some ask the question of What happened to the Essenes? They disappeared. They didn't disappear they became Christians. Of course, some of them fragmented off but it didn't take long for those to die off. The Essenes preserved the (Hebrew) manuscripts of the Patriarchs Testaments. The Greek versions of the Patriarchs were deemed fiction until the discovery of the Hebrew versions with the DSS. Many are only in fragments and have been only available for study for the past 20 years to experts who study such things. Prior to that, the group that had them did everything in their power to keep them out of the hands of the experts. They were ultimately obtained after a legal battle in the courts. The location John the Baptist was baptizing in the river is only 6 miles from Qumran. There is a pile of evidence that John was an Essene (a voice in the wilderness) and the Patriarchs Testaments support and solidify prophecy. Interesting stuff.

Reactions: GaryAnderson

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure it makes a difference in doctrine but there is lots of evidence that John the Baptist was an Essene. We know that Jesus held John the Baptist in high regard. This would point to Jesus being aligned to the Essenes (probable but not provable). The Essenes calendar has been proved to be very accurate. They prophesied that Jesus would die on the cross in 32 AD. They also prophecied that a Benjamite would come preaching grace. Paul was from the tribe of Benjamin. The Essenes were "too Christian like" for the Jews involved in the evaluation of the dead sea scrolls but enjoyed the proof they provided in the Jews early settlement in the region combating oposing views from the Muslim community.

Interesting. I didn't know that about the Essenes.