Was Noah's flood global?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello my friend . I need to warn us all about something .
Beware of this unity that many churches are now preaching . this finding common ground stuff .
This seeker friendly and all inclusive false love that is moving like wild fire among christendom .
IF we examine its love , we will see its wordly , it is false and not of GOD .
The idea is they are now calling certain sins LOVE and they are also making the claim that other religoins follow the same GOD we do .
IT is a lie . Always remember what the first men preached and how they did so .
They did not go about israel nor the world trying to say or even give the idea its fine to follow whatever religoin
so long as you have love . NO they preached the DIRE NEED to beleive on JESUS CHRIST .
and they even shook the dust off thier feet against those who rejected JESUS CHRIST . we cannot let this all inclusive false love
take over , it will destroy the souls of all who go under it and beleived its version of love .
Which though they do holler do good works , DENIES THE DIRE NEED TO BELEIVE ON JESUS CHRIST .
THUS , it cometh of the dragon who can quoate things and say things LIKE GOD is love but HE is preaching another love
one that cannot save and will damn . IT WILL, HOWEVER UNIFY all religons and the world
under what they beleive is love . ONLY it aint love and it aint FROM GOD .
Beware it at all costs . No lamb trades in the gospel of JESUS CHRIST for a social all inclusive lie . Those who did so
NEVER KNEW HIM . This is the great delusion my friend . IT cometh in the name of love
and thus even an atheist can accept it . this love is the common ground of the world that every religoin can and will unite as one under .
FOR all religoins do basically teach do good works , YET all religoins are still false , CEPT true christanity.
The dragon is uniting all religoins , the faiths witin christendom and all the world as one
and he is doing it under the guise of love . WHICH as i said earlier , IT AINT GODLY LOVE and it aint FROM GOD either .
But it is highly deceptive for it will teach us to do good works . But it omits the dire need to BELEIVE ON JESUS CHRIST .
THUS that is NO LOVE . FOR GOD so loved the world that HE DID SEND HIS only begotten SON
that all who do BELEIVE , BELIEVE would not perish but have everlasting life .
But all who deny Him , will be damned . JESUS Didnt say GOD sent the SON so we can just live in sin and follow any ol religon
as long as we had some good works and love . Watch out cause this stuff creeps in small at first .
AMEN! Ecumenism is straight out of Satan's playbook -- dilute the Gospel until it means nothing to no one.

• Love
Reactions: amigo de christo

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I say that the flood was all-encompassing; I believe the Bible ~ God, through Moses in this case ~ to be crystal clear on that. Maybe a question to be pondered is, did the land of the earth look like it does today? Or, the same question asked in a different way, were the lands situated upon the earth in the same way in Noah's day (before the time of the Tower of Babel and the result, the LORD's dispersing of the peoples over the face of all the earth [Genesis 11:8-9]) as they are now? :)

Grace and peace to all.
I believe there was just one large land mass in Noah's time.
My personal theory is that God separates the continents while the Earth was flooded. The colossal earthquakes that would result wouldn't affect anyone then.
Again-- just a personal theory.

Reactions: marks

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The reason to believe that the Deluge occurred over the whole planet is this: the Bible says it.
Yes, yet more precise During the Great FLOOD the ENTIRE EARTH (which IS Dry Land) was covered with Water.

Consideration of Present Day Continents, is irrelevant. Continents did not begin forming until 100 years AFTER the FLOOD.

Consideration of Particular Named Animals of Present Day, (not mentioned or present ON the ARK) is irrelevant.
God Created specific KINDS of Animals that move about and adapt to their surroundings, to survive.

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: Cassandra

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agree.
My personal theory is that God separates the continents while the Earth was flooded.
Gen 10:
[21] Unto Shem also, the father of all the children of Eber, the brother of Japheth the elder, even to him were children born.
[22] The children of Shem; Elam, and Asshur, and Arphaxad, and Lud, and Aram.
[23] And the children of Aram; Uz, and Hul, and Gether, and Mash.
[24] And Arphaxad begat Salah; and Salah begat Eber.
[25] And unto Eber were born two sons: the name of one was Peleg; for in his days was the earth divided; and his brother's name was Joktan.

Peleg was the g-g-grandson of Shem

Reactions: Cassandra and marks

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Gen 10: whole chapter to put in context the subsequent Generations of Noah’s sons, Noah’s sons,sons, Noah’s sons, sons, sons…
The word "continent" is not there. In fact, it is not anywhere in the Bible. Do you have an extra-biblical reference?

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That was my implication... and is a distinct possibility, but we cannot definitively tell from the text. Most everyone accepts that the earth had only one large land mass at least at some point in the past.

My personal theory is that God separates the continents while the Earth was flooded. The colossal earthquakes that would result wouldn't affect anyone then.
Another possibility that cannot be verified. I wouldn't be on board with that, but that really doesn't mean anything... :)

Again-- just a personal theory.
Yes, no problem with that; very well.

Grace and peace to you.

Reactions: Jim C

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Continents did not begin forming until 100 years AFTER the FLOOD.
We don't know how long. I get it; you're counting generations, I think. But we can't know that, really. And I would say that speculating on any of this is in any case beyond Moses's intent in writing Genesis... and even God's intent in inspiring Moses's writing.

Grace and peace to you.

Last edited:

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, yet more precise During the Great FLOOD the ENTIRE EARTH (which IS Dry Land) was covered with Water.

Consideration of Present Day Continents, is irrelevant. Continents did not begin forming until 100 years AFTER the FLOOD.

Consideration of Particular Named Animals of Present Day, (not mentioned or present ON the ARK) is irrelevant.
God Created specific KINDS of Animals that move about and adapt to their surroundings, to survive.

Glory to God,
Taken
There are many who believe the continents were caused by the “fountains of the greet deep opening up? Which caused the land to seperate and move across the globe.

Reactions: marks

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are many who believe the continents were caused by the “fountains of the greet deep opening up? Which caused the land to separate and move across the globe.
Could be; there is the Mid-Oceanic Trench out there in the middle of the Atlantic... Evidence? Well... maybe. :)

Grace and peace to you.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The word "continent" is not there. In fact, it is not anywhere in the Bible. Do you have an extra-biblical reference?
Continent is not in Scripture, nor did I say it was. However in this day the majority of the world acknowledges 7 major separate land masses called Continents.

IOW…ALL of the worlds LAND is no longer ONE Major Land mass as it was in Noah’s day.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We don't know how long. I get it; you're counting generations, I think. But we can't know that, really. And I would say that speculating on any of this is in any case beyond Moses's intent in writing Genesis... and even God's intent in inspiring Moses's writing.

Grace and peace to you.
TY. It’s an in depth study of chronicling times-lines from express date clues in Scripture.

Doesn’t much matter if you believe the general timeline or not.

The Land was one land mass and now it is not.

God bless,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are many who believe the continents were caused by the “fountains of the greet deep opening up? Which caused the land to seperate and move across the globe.
I have no specific details of HOW, certainly guesswork of in the earth quakes, water forcing platelet shifts could be possible.
I think the OP is wondering IF a single land mass existed, and IF it was entirely covered with water during the flood.

Glory to God,
Taken

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the atlantic rift were the opening, and the land mass slid away from that, it would explain why the atlantic sea floor is basaltic, and the pacific sea floor is granite.

And of course there still is water coming up from below the oceans.

Much love!

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For me it's a matter of knowing what the Bible says, and then just believing it. In this case, the Bible says all the hills under heaven were covered with water, so I just believe that is true, which tells me it was global.

Is there any reason in particular to not think this was a global flood?

Much love!
In the flood Scriptures, the words “earth & heavens” can be local and not global. The can also mean the earth as a land orl and not glob and the heavens as the visible arch of the sky. The earth being round allows that it could have been referring to the heavens viable from the flood locale. I know how they read in the English, but observe the Hebrew definitions from the Strong’s Concordance:

Gen 7:19
19 And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven , were covered. (KJV)
Definitions for above:

earth: Hebrew word #776 'erets (eh'-rets); from an unused root probably meaning to be firm; the earth (at large, or partitively a land): KJV-- X common, country, earth, field, ground, land, X nations, way, + wilderness, world.

heaven: Hebrew word #8064 shamayim (shaw-mah'-yim); dual of an unused singular shameh (shaw-meh'); from an unused root meaning to be lofty; the sky (as aloft; the dual perhaps alluding to the visible arch in which the clouds move, as well as to the higher ether where the celestial bodies revolve): KJV-- air, X astrologer, heaven (-s).

To illustrate the sometimes confusing English translations in our Bible (and showing why a Strong’s concordance is a most valuable study aid), I supple Cain’s discussion with God after God told Cain his punishment. Observe the use of the English phrase “thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth”. Here the word(s) “the earth” means ‘soil’ (Strong’s # 127). Surely Cain did not mean “off the face of the whole planet”. For Cain was driven of that soil that he was on into the land of Nod. Cain’s driving away was not global any more that the flood of Noah was global:

Gen 4:13-14
13 And Cain said unto the LORD, My punishment is greater than I can bear.
14 Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth [earth here = erets, as in the flood Scripture above]; and it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me. (KJV)
God bless!

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Big Big problem with that thought. the bible declares all the mountains were covered to a depth if fifteen cubits (c. 22 feet). If it was just a local or regional flood, as soon as the waters overtopped the local mountains- it would flow down the other side! You could not cover the mountains in a local flood.
I believe the text says hillsides not mountains. Also, this would mean all people would be of Noah, which seems to create problems within itself. But basically I believe the reason for the Flood was solely to kill the Giants in Gen 6:1-8, whom were the abominable to God, offspring of Adam's daughters and the fallen angels.

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the text says hillsides not mountains. Also, this would mean all people would be of Noah, which seems to create problems within itself. But basically I believe the reason for the Flood was solely to kill the Giants in Gen 6:1-8, whom were the abominable to God, offspring of Adam's daughters and the fallen angels.
Genesis 11:19-20
19 And the waters prevailed exceedingly on the earth, and all the high hills under the whole heaven were covered. 20 The waters prevailed fifteen cubits upward, and the mountains were covered.

Nope, it says mountains. Thus if it were a localized area, from the outside you'd see a 25 foot wall of water sitting on top of the mountains, which makes no sense whatsoever.

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 11:19-20
19 And the waters prevailed exceedingly on the earth, and all the high hills under the whole heaven were covered. 20 The waters prevailed fifteen cubits upward, and the mountains were covered.

Nope, it says mountains. Thus if it were a localized area, from the outside you'd see a 25 foot wall of water sitting on top of the mountains, which makes no sense whatsoever.

Our Bibles read different, my Bible says land, not earth, and hillsides not mountains.