Was Satan evil in Job 1:7?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But ...you see...John 3;5 is not the scripture which validates the requirement that Baptism is necessary. So, why then are you attempting to apply it here
? Only to try to establish a new age religion interpretation of scripture as relates to a new interpretation....my exact point.

Please comment on acts 2;38 ...Repent and be baptized... and other like scriptures?
I admire that you want to be in obedience to Christ. We as believers should be baptized, but water baptism is not for salvation.

What did Christ say?
Matthew 3:15
And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.

Water baptism is a fulfillment of righteousness, it is not a prerequisite unto salvation. But let’s look a bit deeper.

There is only one Baptism now, and there is no separate "Baptism in the Holy Ghost." When you are Baptized you are baptized by the Holy Spirit of God into Christ Jesus. We know that there isn't a literal fire involved with Baptism, the Holy Spirit is likened unto a fire, it is a metaphor—this is the Christian Baptism, and there is only one of them.​
Luke 3:16
16 John answered, saying unto them all, I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire: KJV​
The "He" is Jesus Christ in the above.​
Matthew 28:18-20
18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen. KJV​
Acts 19:1-5
19:1 And it came to pass, that, while Apollos was at Corinth, Paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. KJV​
There were two Baptisms in the Bible, but the first, the Baptism of John, was only until Christ was glorified. After that there was (and still is) only one Christian Baptism.​
Ephesians 4:1-7
4:1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye w
another in love;
3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.7 But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ. KJV​
There is one baptism unto salvation, and it is of fire, not water.

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Was Satan evil in Job 1:7?​

How is it that Job believed all his troubles originated with God? Who put that idea in his head?
But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed
Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death

A man can originate his own error without the help of another.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed
Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death

A man can originate his own error without the help of another.
indeed he can but do you think that was Job's issue?

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
indeed he can but do you think that was Job's issue?
In part, Job’s issue was threefold. He had those 3 idiots in his ear, Satan was targeting him, and he was throwing a pity party. I guess one could say he was being a wimp.

Gods first response to Job

Job 38:1 "Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said,"
Job 38:2 "Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?"
Job 38:3 "Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou Me."

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In part, Job’s issue was threefold. He had those 3 idiots in his ear, Satan was targeting him, and he was throwing a pity party. I guess one could say he was being a wimp.

Gods first response to Job

Job 38:1 "Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said,"
Job 38:2 "Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?"
Job 38:3 "Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou Me."
Jobs mates hung around with him for a week in silence. That sounds like a pretty committed friendship to me. I wouldn't have called them idiots......and as far as Job being a wimp, you need to reread the story. The guy had fortitude. Put yourself in his boots.

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jobs mates hung around with him for a week in silence. That sounds like a pretty committed friendship to me. I wouldn't have called them idiots......and as far as Job being a wimp, you need to reread the story. The guy had fortitude. Put yourself in his boots.
No it is you that needs to re-read what is being said.!
Your talking about a committed friendship?

What did God say?
: “I am angry with you [Eliphaz] and your two friends, because you have not spoken the truth about me”

I don’t want committed friends that lie about God! Perhaps you do.

You say Job wasn’t being a wimp?

What did God say?
[3] Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me.

- Why like a man? Because Job at this time wasn’t acting like a man… He was acting like a wimp.
But believe what you will, I’m really not interested in lackadaisical discussions.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I admire that you want to be in obedience to Christ. We as believers should be baptized, but water baptism is not for salvation.

What did Christ say?
Matthew 3:15
And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.

Water baptism is a fulfillment of righteousness, it is not a prerequisite unto salvation. But let’s look a bit deeper.

There is only one Baptism now, and there is no separate "Baptism in the Holy Ghost." When you are Baptized you are baptized by the Holy Spirit of God into Christ Jesus. We know that there isn't a literal fire involved with Baptism, the Holy Spirit is likened unto a fire, it is a metaphor—this is the Christian Baptism, and there is only one of them.​

The "He" is Jesus Christ in the above.

There were two Baptisms in the Bible, but the first, the Baptism of John, was only until Christ was glorified. After that there was (and still is) only one Christian Baptism.​

There is one baptism unto salvation, and it is of fire, not water.
Not so;
Why can't you accept God's word as it is presented to you........ by HIM? Not me!!!!
Here it is again;

Baptism is Required

Peter 3: 21.... whereunto even baptism doth also now save us...

John 3:5 .......Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

Acts 2;38-....Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 22;16... And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Galations 3:26...... For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

KJV Marrk 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

KJV Matthew 3:14... But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me? 15. Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now, for thus it becometh us to fulfil all rightesousness. Then He suffered Him.

KJV Matthew 28:19..... Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:.

Acts 10;47-48...
47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.
Acts 8:12-18: But when they believed Philip as he preached the things concerning the kingdom of God and the name of Jesus Christ, both men and women were baptized.

Acts 19:4 And Paul said, “John baptized with the baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one who was to come after him, that is, Jesus.”

John 3; 22 After these things came Jesus and his disciples into the land of Judaea; and there he tarried with them, and baptized.
23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.

Quote from Billy Graham that is note worthy;
....Also, to clarify I did not say remission of sin takes place at repentance. Scripture makes it clear that it occurs upon obedience to water baptism in the name of the Lord Jesus. Each is a step of faith, along with receiving the Holy Ghost, in the process of one's spiritual rebirth

.."Paul explains the doctrinal significance of what occurs when one is baptized.His explanation is found in his letter to those who had already been obedient to the command.

Paul tells the Roman Christians what actually occurred when they were/are baptized; they were baptized into His death. Being buried with Jesus into His death resulted in their sin being destroyed.

Even though Paul explains this concept, the NEW AGE RELIGION TEACHING is......... that water baptism is nothing other than a mere public display.......... And that is so far removed from the truth.

Keep in mind that Satan knows if he can continue to perpetuate that lie ...... he can keep people from entering the kingdom of God. Thus He has proven scripture which says ...in the end times there will be ...great delusions.....they are here.

Conclusion....teaching that baptism is not necessary is violation of Rev. 22;19.... And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. 20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.
(Also two other books of the Bible).

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not so;
Why can't you accept God's word as it is presented to you........ by HIM? Not me!!!!
Here it is again;
I do accept Gods word. Let’s look at your first scripture.

What you did was cut off the scripture so your error cannot be seen.

Here’s the whole scripture.

Peter 3:21

The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

Yes baptism does save, but it’s not water baptism, it’s not going under water and coming up that saves!

It is the baptism of fire, of the spirit, it is when a person believes in Christ, and the resurrection which saves.

That is why the scripture says “like figure”
Figure

antitupos: struck back, corresponding to
Original Word: ἀντίτυπος, ον
Part of Speech: Adjective
Transliteration: antitupos
Phonetic Spelling: (an-teet'-oo-pon)
Definition: struck back, corresponding to
Usage: typical of, representing by type (or pattern), corresponding to, an image.
HELPS Word-studies
499 antítypon (from 473/antí, "corresponding to" and 5179/typos, "type") – properly, an antitype which corresponds to (fulfills) a type(a predictive symbol).

Baptism of the spirit is what saves, water baptism is only a symbol, a representation of baptism by the spirit.

This is why John said
I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:

Johns baptism saved no one, or there would be no need to be baptized with the Holy Spirit.

Also you need to go back two verses, for it says,

I Peter 3:19 "By which also He went and preached unto the spirits in prison,"
I Peter 3:20 "Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering for God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water."
I Peter 3:21 "The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:"

Spirts don’t have flesh, no need for water baptism, which is of the flesh.

gpresdo

Jul 22, 2023
Paducah Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do accept Gods word. Let’s look at your first scripture.

What you did was cut off the scripture so your error cannot be seen.

Here’s the whole scripture.

Peter 3:21

The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

Yes baptism does save, but it’s not water baptism, it’s not going under water and coming up that saves!

It is the baptism of fire, of the spirit, it is when a person believes in Christ, and the resurrection which saves.

That is why the scripture says “like figure”
Figure

antitupos: struck back, corresponding to
Original Word: ἀντίτυπος, ον
Part of Speech: Adjective
Transliteration: antitupos
Phonetic Spelling: (an-teet'-oo-pon)
Definition: struck back, corresponding to
Usage: typical of, representing by type (or pattern), corresponding to, an image.
HELPS Word-studies
499 antítypon (from 473/antí, "corresponding to" and 5179/typos, "type") – properly, an antitype which corresponds to (fulfills) a type(a predictive symbol).

Baptism of the spirit is what saves, water baptism is only a symbol, a representation of baptism by the spirit.

This is why John said
I indeed baptize you with water; but one mightier than I cometh, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to unloose: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost and with fire:

Johns baptism saved no one, or there would be no need to be baptized with the Holy Spirit.

Also you need to go back two verses, for it says,

I Peter 3:19 "By which also He went and preached unto the spirits in prison,"
I Peter 3:20 "Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering for God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water."
I Peter 3:21 "The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God), by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:"

Spirts don’t have flesh, no need for water baptism, which is of the flesh.
Many paragraphs have separate meanings...some to the point of being...dangling participles. LOL
I exclude unrelated secondary inclusions. Normal with me but if you do differently in quotes keep it germane to the point intended.
It's God's word ...not mine. Take it up with Him.
Your other comments are....frivolous

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many paragraphs have separate meanings...some to the point of being...dangling participles. LOL
I exclude unrelated secondary inclusions. Normal with me but if you do differently in quotes keep it germane to the point intended.
It's God's word ...not mine. Take it up with Him.
Your other comments are....frivolous
Deflection and subterfuge will not proliferate your notions.
The task at hand is simple, does one need water baptism to be saved? The answer is an astounding NO!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus spoke to the antagonistic Pharisees in John 8:

The devil (or the satan or the tempter) is a bad character from the beginning of Adam and Eve. God used him to test people. Job 1:

Satan had evil in mind and not just simply testing Job. He wanted Job to curse God and die.

NIV Habakkuk 1:

but yet, The LORD saw and spoke to Satan in Job 1.

These Habakkuk questions are exactly my questions.

Why did God look at Satan and talk to him?

At the time of Job, Satan had the official adversarial role of testing people's loyalty toward God. That was his job. That's why God interacted with him face to face even though Satan had evil designs in his heart. BTW, Satan failed to get Job to curse God and die. Job passed the test.

Why did God tolerate that?

Not only was God testing people; he was testing Satan and his gang of bad angels as well. God had a trump card to play, i.e., Jesus Christ. When Jesus showed up, he kicked them out of heaven. Now, instead of Satan accusing us like the scene in Job, we have Christ defending us at the right hand of God.

See also

If you're going to bring up the Book of Habakkuk, and not actually quote it, but instead throw out ideas totally unrelated to it, then how can anyone trust your reading comprehension of God's Word?

Hab 1:6-12
6 For, lo, I raise up the Chaldeans, that bitter and hasty nation, which shall march through the breadth of the land, to possess the dwellingplaces that are not theirs.

7 They are terrible and dreadful: their judgment and their dignity shall proceed of themselves.

8 Their horses also are swifter than the leopards, and are more fierce than the evening wolves: and their horsemen shall spread themselves, and their horsemen shall come from far; they shall fly as the eagle that hasteth to eat.

9 They shall come all for violence: their faces shall sup up as the east wind, and they shall gather the captivity as the sand.

10 And they shall scoff at the kings, and the princes shall be a scorn unto them: they shall deride every strong hold; for they shall heap dust, and take it.

11 Then shall his mind change, and he shall pass over, and offend, imputing this his power unto his god.

12 Art thou not from everlasting, O LORD my God, mine Holy One? we shall not die. O LORD, thou hast ordained them for judgment; and, O mighty God, thou hast established them for correction.
KJV

Habakkuk 1 is about God's judgment upon the rebellious of His people with His using the Chaldeans, isn't it?

So what in the world has that got to do with why God would speak to Satan when Satan was presented before God's throne per the Book of Job?

God was proud of Job, per Job 1 & 2, if you didn't catch that. God was bragging to Satan about Job. That is when Satan offered God a challenge.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I thought that the Devil was a nice person or seen to be nice, much like Joe Biden ? he comes across as such ? He says things that claim to be whatever but it's all a deception to his true intents. So people look to such as he for they are duped by his games. He is setting you up ! so as to become enslaved to this world and the Communist Socialist gods.
Communist do not believe in God ? they believe they are gods who demand to dominate over everyone or they will kill you, just as such did Jesus because they knew him to be a threat to their power over the people, for in the Vineyard we see the story, of they who killed everyone of Gods Prophets and then God sent his only begotten Son ?

So the people look up to they who rule the Vineyard, for they are slaves too them !
One thing that the leadership of the Jews despised totally was Salvation. Such is toxic to Satanist.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you read the OP?
Of course I read the OP. But obviously you didn't understand God's response to Habakkuk's question in Habakkuk 1:12-13.

All one need do is read God's response in Habakkuk 2.

The whole subject there is about God's sending the CHALDEANS upon the rebellious of JERUSALEM.

You should study Jeremiah 12, where Jeremiah is using the same kind of idea that Habakkuk tried to do, with declaring to GOD Himself how righteous and good He is while questioning His judgments, and asking Him how could He allow the wicked to have control.

God had already told Jeremiah what He was going to do to Jerusalem and her people, BECAUSE of the falseness they were following and turning away from Him to idols, just as the ten tribe "kingdom of Israel" had done years earlier, and God scattered those ten tribes for it. Even back to Deuteronomy 4 and 28, God had before pronounced His judgments upon Israel IF... they followed after paganism and idols. So really, it should have been no mystery to Jeremiah or any of the prophets of that day about God's coming judgments upon the Jews and Jerusalem in that by the king of Babylon and Chaldeans (i.e., Babylonians).