Was Satan evil in Job 1:7?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you say “actual” trees, I’m assuming you mean apples trees, and oak trees, pine, etc

Yes there were actual trees in the garden.
The Tree of Life, and the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, these also? Actually trees? Roots, trunk, bark, leaves, all that, you know.

Much love!

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Tree of Life, and the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, these also? Actually trees? Roots, trunk, bark, leaves, all that, you know.

Much love!
No, not at all…

King James Bible
Hosea 14:8
Ephraim shall say, What have I to do any more with idols? I have heard him, and observed him: I am like a green fir tree. From me is thy fruit found.

Ps 1:1-3
1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.
3 And he shall be like a tree [# 6086 `ets] planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper. KJV

Isa 56:3-5
3 Neither let the son of the stranger, that hath joined himself to the Lord, speak, saying, The Lord hath utterly separated me from his people: neither let the eunuch [castrated man] say, Behold, I am a dry tree [# 6086 `ets].

4 For thus saith the Lord unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant;
5 Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off. KJV

So as we see, "trees" definitely can refer to people; but "trees" do not always refer to people. Determining the difference must be done by the context of the Bible passage and with other Bible study techniques.

And it isn't just in the Old Testament where men were referred to as trees. Observe also from the New Testament:

Mark 8:22-25
22 And he [Jesus] cometh to Bethsaida; and they bring a blind man unto him, and besought him to touch him.
23 And he took the blind man by the hand, and led him out of the town; and when he had spit on his eyes, and put his hands upon him, he asked him if he saw ought.
24 And he looked up, and said, I see men as trees, walking.
25 After that he put his hands again upon his eyes, and made him look up: and he was restored, and saw every man clearly. KJV

Many more scriptures can be presented, but I believe you may understand my position now.

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I think I do. Thank you for your clarity.

Much love!
Because we were told they were.
Gen 2:8-9
8 And the Lord God planted a garden eastward in Eden; and there he put the man whom he had formed.
9 And out of the ground made the Lord God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil. KJV

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And out of the ground made the Lord God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

God made all the trees to grow from the ground. So why differentiate? Why choose two to say that they were not as the others, trees, that bear fruit?

Much love!

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And out of the ground made the Lord God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

God made all the trees to grow from the ground. So why differentiate? Why choose two to say that they were not as the others, trees, that bear fruit?

Much love!
We must differentiate because the trees are different.

Some trees are good for food and ok to partake of.
One tree you must not eat or touch.
And the other tree gives life.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The whole thing is a poem.

Of a man named Job.

Gods bet with Satan.

Job, and his loses.

Friends accusations and responses.

Then God's finally response, with no answer for Job and his suffering.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We must differentiate because the trees are different.

Some trees are good for food and ok to partake of.
One tree you must not eat or touch.
And the other tree gives life.
I don't see that considering how the passage reads. And the narrative which follows.

Much love!

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't see that considering how the passage reads. And the narrative which follows.

Much love!
Our difference in narrative comes from Genesis 1 not Genesis 2 thus it is almost inevitable we will see Genesis 2 different.
For example: I do not believe Adam was the first man.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For example: I do not believe Adam was the first man.
OK, thanks! My way of interpretting Scripture is going to be pretty much opposite the way you approach it, so I'm thinking further discussion won't be fruitful.

Unless you want to discuss why we should accept the plain sayings of Scripture.

Much love!

Last edited:

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK, thanks! My way of interpretting Scripture is going to be pretty much opposite the way you approach it, so I'm thinking further discussion won't be fruitful.

Unless you want to discuss why we should accept the plain sayings of Scripture.

Much love!
I also believe what is plainly written, I also understand one must have eyes to see, which is not reading scripture plainly, but rightly dividing the word.

Let’s look at scripture plainly for a moment.

Revelation 9
And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit.

2 And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit.

3 And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power.

Do you believe a literal star fell from heaven, opened up a pit and let out a bunch of grasshoppers, that were like scorpions?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let’s look at scripture plainly for a moment.
Apples and oranges. Visions and narratives are different things.

And let's be reasonable for a moment. Do you think your bounds of what you think is reasonable to happen dictate limits to what God might actually have planned? Can you conceive of the possibility that what John described could be what you yourself would describe if you were to be standing there watching on the day that it happened?

I do believe that when the Bible declares something to be a symbol, and tells us the meaning of that symbol, we should pay attention. Same with allegories, metaphors, similies, parables, all of it. Let the Bible interpret the Bible. Let the Bible tell you when something is a symbol, and when it's not, and what it means.

You may find it to be much more literal than you expect.

Much love!

Reactions: Truthnightmare

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apples and oranges. Visions and narratives are different things.

And let's be reasonable for a moment. Do you think your bounds of what you think is reasonable to happen dictate limits to what God might actually have planned? Can you conceive of the possibility that what John described could be what you yourself would describe if you were to be standing there watching on the day that it happened?

I do believe that when the Bible declares something to be a symbol, and tells us the meaning of that symbol, we should pay attention. Same with allegories, metaphors, similies, parables, all of it. Let the Bible interpret the Bible. Let the Bible tell you when something is a symbol, and when it's not, and what it means.

You may find it to be much more literal than you expect.

Much love!

I totally agree. But when I say I don’t believe Adam was the the first man, I say this because I am taking said scripture literal.

One of the problems that arise is the Bible will not always show you symbolism immediately.

Genesis 3
3 Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the Lord God had made

We are not clearly told what/who this serpent is until much later.

Revelation 12:9
And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.

Revelation 20:2
And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which one?

Much love!

Genesis 1 says God created “man” that word man is (mankind) (races) people. I take that literal. Many say this is Adam, but the Hebrew literally says mankind, not Adam.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 1 says God created “man” that word man is (mankind) (races) people. I take that literal. Many say this is Adam, but the Hebrew literally says mankind, not Adam.

Scripture also says humankind (man) came from the one man & woman; Adam and Eve. Humanity had to have a beginning.