Was Satan evil in Job 1:7?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus spoke to the antagonistic Pharisees in John 8:

44 You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.
The devil (or the satan or the tempter) is a bad character from the beginning of Adam and Eve. God used him to test people. Job 1:

7 The LORD said to Satan, "Where have you come from?" Satan answered the LORD, "From roaming throughout the earth, going back and forth on it."
Satan had evil in mind and not just simply testing Job. He wanted Job to curse God and die.

NIV Habakkuk 1:

13Your eyes are too pure to look on evil; you cannot tolerate wrongdoing.
but yet, The LORD saw and spoke to Satan in Job 1.

Why then do you tolerate the treacherous? Why are you silent while the wicked swallow up those more righteous than themselves?
These Habakkuk questions are exactly my questions.

Why did God look at Satan and talk to him?

At the time of Job, Satan had the official adversarial role of testing people's loyalty toward God. That was his job. That's why God interacted with him face to face even though Satan had evil designs in his heart. BTW, Satan failed to get Job to curse God and die. Job passed the test.

Why did God tolerate that?

Not only was God testing people; he was testing Satan and his gang of bad angels as well. God had a trump card to play, i.e., Jesus Christ. When Jesus showed up, he kicked them out of heaven. Now, instead of Satan accusing us like the scene in Job, we have Christ defending us at the right hand of God.

See also

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This adversary had no power!
This adversary was likely a jealous believer who felt God had hedged him about with prosperity.
This adversary is not mentioned again after 3 chapters
No such thing as a rebel angel.
F2F

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This adversary had no power!
This adversary was likely a jealous believer who felt God had hedged him about with prosperity.
This adversary is not mentioned again after 3 chapters
No such thing as a rebel angel.
F2F
Doesn’t it say Lucifer was a cherub and fell?

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where does it say he did?
It says Lucifer fell,

Isaiah 14:12​

“How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!”​

I’m thinking it wasn’t until this happened that the title adversary (Satan) was given.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It says Lucifer fell,

Isaiah 14:12​

“How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!”​

I’m thinking it wasn’t until this happened that the title adversary (Satan) was given.
No try again the context is plain for all to see!

you will taunt the king of Babylon with these words Is 14:4.

I'm not sure how interested you are in truth or whether you are a mindless puppet like the rest of Christianity but you should study the chapter and ask the hard questions of the context.

Heaven there is NOT Gods dwelling place also - its symbolic for Governance.

F2F

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Luke 10:18
He replied, “I saw Satan fall like lightning from heaven.
It's a simile - do you know what that means?
The question you need to ask is what adversary was Jesus speaking of?
Also, you dont have any context whatsoever - again you're not thinking!

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Indeed… But even if one uses the “shining one” that can still be a reference to satan.

I see much evidence of the shining one, Lucifer and satan being the same entity.
No context at all.

Here is a question for you.

Why would God wait until the time of the Babylonian Empire to write a prophecy about its king only to introduce your rebel angel?

I know right!

Here is a tip...why don;t you try and work out why the king is called the shinning one? Who does the prophecy speak to and why.

It's called "Bible Study"

F2F

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@TonyChanYT & @Truthnightmare

You need an origin story which you dont have...the OT is silent on a rebel angel which threatens Gods sovereignty. It's all a fabrication in your minds, clevely put there by men of ill gain!

F2F

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No try again the context is plain for all to see!

you will taunt the king of Babylon with these words Is 14:4.

I'm not sure how interested you are in truth or whether you are a mindless puppet like the rest of Christianity but you should study the chapter and ask the hard questions of the context.

Heaven there is NOT Gods dwelling place also - its symbolic for Governance.

F2F

I don’t look at ChristianIty that way. The truth is we are all mindless puppets in one way or other. We are all sinners and we fall short of the glory of God.

15 Look down from thy holy habitation, from heaven, and bless thy people Israel, and the land which thou hast given us, as thou swarest unto our fathers.

This verse calls heaven the holy habitation

מָעוֹן
Part of Speech: Noun Masculine
Transliteration: maon or main
Phonetic Spelling: (maw-ohn')
Definition: dwelling, habitation

DavidTaylor

Sep 4, 2022
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From what I can gather, long before Adam and the world that we know of now.

This tells me Satan fell after the creation week, not before it, since God created Satan.

Genesis 1:31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day. Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

Reactions: marks