We Are Spirit....

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The spirt I see as the image of God imputed to us. Yet again for us to say we are spirits, is to say a tree is only it's leaves.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The spirt I see as the image of God imputed to us. Yet again for us to say we are spirits, is to say a tree is only it's leaves.

No it isn't. When our flesh is returned to dust, our spirits are still alive and fresh as ever! We will be reunited with our bodies one day and they will be changed, glorified bodies, but our spirits, where God dwells in us and communes with us and impregnates us with dreams and with life-changing truth and promises, lives forever!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Ok, as long as you are acknowledging that we are spirit + body. Some people forget the body - like christian science and other gnostics. Sorry justanane I was responding to livelystone using your post :(

No it isn't. When our flesh is returned to dust, our spirits are still alive and fresh as ever! We will be reunited with our bodies one day and they will be changed, glorified bodies, but our spirits, where God dwells in us and communes with us and impregnates us with dreams and with life-changing truth and promises, lives forever!

The Bible teaching a bodily resurrection.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never said the image of God goes to the dust with the body. That image is the very connection to God agreed. My point being as a tree has roots, branches, and leaves. So a human being has a spirit, soul, and body.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never said the image of God goes to the dust with the body. That image is the very connection to God agreed. My point being as a tree has roots, branches, and leaves. So a human being has a spirit, soul, and body.

Yeah, I know - I accidently thought your post was from lively stone and responded to her based on our ongoing conversation - sorry about that - just disregard my post.

Absolutely not. To understand the body, soul (mind) and spirit composition of human beings doesn't mean we throw out biblical truth. There will be a bodily resurrection as promised.

You are refusing to recognize that the word soul means spirit + body.

Christianity

See also: Soul in the Bible

The Christian view of the soul is based upon the teaching of both the Old Testament and New Testament. The Old Testament contains the statements "Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it" (Ecclesiastes 12:7) and "And the LORD God formed man [of] the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." (Genesis 2:7). In the New Testament can be found a statement by Paul the Apostle, "And so it is written, the first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam [was made] a quickening spirit." (1 Corinthians 15:45).

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The soul is the seat of the mind, will and emotions in the human. It is his personality, his personhood, what makes him unique from everyone else. It isn't part of the spirit, but it is the next outer layer, the spirit being the innermost---but it connects with the spirit, where the body doesn't. When a person dies, his spirit and soul leave the body.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The soul is the seat of the mind, will and emotions in the human. It is his personality, his personhood, what makes him unique from everyone else. It isn't part of the spirit, but it is the next outer layer, the spirit being the innermost---but it connects with the spirit, where the body doesn't. When a person dies, his spirit and soul leave the body.

I didn't notice that explanation in the verse about Adam......

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I like this explanation:

WHAT ARE THE ORIGINS OF THE HUMAN SPIRIT AND SOUL AND BODY?

"Then the Lord God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being (soul)." (Gen 2:7).

The human body was formed by God "of dust from the ground." God gave spirit to the human being when He "breathed into his nostrils the breath of life". When God formed the body of the human from dust and imparted life to him by "breathing (a spirit) into his nostrils", "man became a living soul". The body is God-formed. The spirit is God-given. With these gifts, man becomes a unique living soul.

That the body is formed of the elements of the earth (dust) is confirmed by Old Testament passages. "By the sweat of your face you shall eat bread, till you return to the ground, because from it you were taken; for you are dust, and to dust you shall return." (Gen 3:19). "All go to the same place. All came from the dust and all return to the dust." (Eccl 3:20). The Apostle Paul tells us that our fleshly bodies belong to a "humble state" (or "lowly" or "vile" state). (Phil 3:21). This suggests that the body is composed of different more "humble" elements (such as the dust of the ground) than other parts such as spirit and soul.

That man's spirit was given to him by God is also indicated in Old and New Testament passages. "Thus declares the Lord who stretches out the heavens, lays the foundation of the earth, and forms the spirit of man within him." (Zech 12:1). "The spirit will return to God who gave it." (Eccl 12:7). "He jealously desires the spirit which He has made to dwell in us." (James 4:5).

The original meaning of the word spirit in both Old Testament Hebrew and New Testament Greek was "breath" or "wind", a figure of speech illustrating the fact that it is that which was bequeathed to, "breathed into", man by God. (Gen 2:7).

Human beings, therefore, have both body and spirit. But the human characteristic is more than just body and spirit, but is called soul. Human beings are living souls. Hence the Bible often calls man soul. For example, when Jacob went down into Egypt with his family, the Bible tells us that "all the persons (souls) of the house of Jacob, who came to Egypt, were seventy." (Gen 46:27). All those who had received the gospel message from Peter on the day of Pentecost were baptized and "there were added that day about three thousand souls." (Acts 2:41).

Apparently the word soul stands for the unique human personality, that which makes him mankind. Thus, "the first man, Adam, became a living soul." (1 Cor 15:45).

For more:
http://faithhopelove.net/SpiritandSoulandBody.html

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with the post you just posted. I think it is a good explanation of what I have been trying to say. Spirit + Body = Soul. How does it support your idea that we are made of a spirit, soul and body?

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I agree with the post you just posted. I think it is a good explanation of what I have been trying to say. Spirit + Body = Soul. How does it support your idea that we are made of a spirit, soul and body?

I am glad you see that. Perhaps I was misinterpreting what you think the soul is. I can see that you also understand that it is the personhood of the individual.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am glad you see that. Perhaps I was misinterpreting what you think the soul is. I can see that you also understand that it is the personhood of the individual.

This is the second time we have worked through misunderstandings and realized that we actually agree. I am really glad we can keep talking without allowing frustration to derail the conversation. It goes to show that these message boards can be poor methods of communicating.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
This is the second time we have worked through misunderstandings and realized that we actually agree. I am really glad we can keep talking without allowing frustration to derail the conversation. It goes to show that these message boards can be poor methods of communicating.

Thanks, aspen. Yes, hot heads do prevail sometimes in this medium!

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
Actually the Christian teaching is spirit + body = soul.

Plato's understanding of the soul is the Christian understanding of the spirit - unfortunately, Plato's teaching has gotten mixed into the common language of Christianity.
Hi Aspen, what is the difference between we are spirit, we have a soul and we live in a body and spirit + body = soul ?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We are spirit, we have a soul, and we live in a body. So why do people say things like...she HAS a sweet spirit or he HAS a kind spirit ? If anything, should'nt it be... she IS a sweet spirit or he IS a kind spirit ? How can we have that which we already are ?...just something I've always wondered about.

The soul decides what spirit will have control. What we set our affections on will influence the flavour of what we are and what we do. We are to be salt on this earth. We are to have an eternal taste about us. We are to be the preservative of this world.

We are not our bodies, nor our spirits...we are a living soul with a mind, heart and a will.

Of course a soul does not know all the choices that are possible in the world. That is why we must preach the gospel of truth. This provides another option for the soul to be guided by the Holy Spirit...and live!!! ;)

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Aspen, what is the difference between we are spirit, we have a soul and we live in a body and spirit + body = soul ?

Well this is ultimately an issue of semantics, but I think the difference is that we ARE a soul made up of body and spirit. This distinction serves two purposes:

1. It recognizes that Plato and Jewish writers had different definitions of the word soul.

2. It clearly defines the difference between 'soul' and 'spirit'. I think when we mix spirit and soul together and then claim that they are both related, but somehow separate and both inside us, it get confusing.

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
Well this is ultimately an issue of semantics, but I think the difference is that we ARE a soul made up of body and spirit. This distinction serves two purposes:

1. It recognizes that Plato and Jewish writers had different definitions of the word soul.

2. It clearly defines the difference between 'soul' and 'spirit'. I think when we mix spirit and soul together and then claim that they are both related, but somehow separate and both inside us, it get confusing.
Thanks for your reply Aspen... we'll just agree to disagree

Reactions: aspen

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
It is true that we are spirits who have souls and who live in bodies. I have said that certain people have sweet spirits many times, and what I mean by that is that they have the spirit of Christ evident in them. Only Jesus is the source of true sweetness of character. He takes up residence in our spirit man, and it is through submission to Him that His character is manifested in our souls. Truly, what it is is the fruit of the Spirit that comes out of a life that allows Jesus to rule in it.

The soul is that part of us that contains the personality and character of the person. Jesus Christ is manifested in us by our submission to Him from the spirit man to the soul and through to the body by our acts. This same route is how we take hold of all the promises of God---including healing and victory in all things that seek to hold us back.
Beautifully said and God Breathed...I receive that !!!