We Are Spirit....

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
We are spirit, we have a soul, and we live in a body. So why do people say things like...she HAS a sweet spirit or he HAS a kind spirit ? If anything, should'nt it be... she IS a sweet spirit or he IS a kind spirit ? How can we have that which we already are ?...just something I've always wondered about.

Reactions: Shirley

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually the Christian teaching is spirit + body = soul.

Plato's understanding of the soul is the Christian understanding of the spirit - unfortunately, Plato's teaching has gotten mixed into the common language of Christianity.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We do know God is Spirit. John 4:24 Yet we, as humans, have a physical body, that is flesh. Now, we are told to walk in the spirt, that is according to the desires of the spirit, and not to the desires of the flesh. By this we know that we must deny the flesh, hence we are not spirt alone. Also we worship in spirit, yet it is the Spirit we worship. Thereby we are not worshiping ourselves but the very Spirt that gives our dead bodies life.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
We are spirit, we have a soul, and we live in a body. So why do people say things like...she HAS a sweet spirit or he HAS a kind spirit ? If anything, should'nt it be... she IS a sweet spirit or he IS a kind spirit ? How can we have that which we already are ?...just something I've always wondered about.

It is true that we are spirits who have souls and who live in bodies. I have said that certain people have sweet spirits many times, and what I mean by that is that they have the spirit of Christ evident in them. Only Jesus is the source of true sweetness of character. He takes up residence in our spirit man, and it is through submission to Him that His character is manifested in our souls. Truly, what it is is the fruit of the Spirit that comes out of a life that allows Jesus to rule in it.

The soul is that part of us that contains the personality and character of the person. Jesus Christ is manifested in us by our submission to Him from the spirit man to the soul and through to the body by our acts. This same route is how we take hold of all the promises of God---including healing and victory in all things that seek to hold us back.

Reactions: Lively Stone

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To be quite sure also, our Lord Jesus Christ came in the flesh and is coming in the flesh. 2John 1:7
We are not greater than our Master, it is God who is Spirit. We are people, human beings, Christian saints at best, but spirits I think not. A spirit is something like love, in love's purest form, the Spirit of God. The HolySpirit being the essence of God in our physical plane on Earth. Beyond that people can be overwhelmed or simply affected by the spirt of anxiety, or anger, or evil itself, the spirit of Satan. I caution you to not embrace these spirits as they are contrary to God. Remember when dealing with these spirits to defer to God and relinquish all authority to Jesus Christ.

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
Actually the Christian teaching is spirit + body = soul.

Plato's understanding of the soul is the Christian understanding of the spirit - unfortunately, Plato's teaching has gotten mixed into the common language of Christianity.

I'm not sure but I think the protestant people changed that teaching to say we have three parts Just like the trinity and that is what makes us in Gods image. Or something like that. I think they say the spirit can not die ever. Not sure though. I'm not saying I believe this or another though b/c I really don't know. Ever since I read what everyone has to say about the subject I realized that as long as we are connected to God through Jesus we are ok no matter how we understand it!

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
To be quite sure also, our Lord Jesus Christ came in the flesh and is coming in the flesh. 2John 1:7
We are not greater than our Master, it is God who is Spirit. We are people, human beings, Christian saints at best, but spirits I think not. A spirit is something like love, in love's purest form, the Spirit of God. The HolySpirit being the essence of God in our physical plane on Earth. Beyond that people can be overwhelmed or simply affected by the spirt of anxiety, or anger, or evil itself, the spirit of Satan. I caution you to not embrace these spirits as they are contrary to God. Remember when dealing with these spirits to defer to God and relinquish all authority to Jesus Christ.

We are tripartite: spirit, soul and body.

1 Thessalonians 5:23 (NKJV)

Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, but to say we are spirits, is to not speak the whole truth. As you say, and how scripture affirms, we are spirt, soul, and body.
To claim we are spirits is to say we are disembodied, which we are not.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that God the Father is the light and the energy behind our reality. There are three children that came with the creation...

Mass - Cooled E/c2
Spirituality - Spiritual energy (motivation, love, warmth) / Spiritual Light (joy, charity, faith, hope)
Intelligence - Plato called intelligence a child of 'The Good' or God the Father.

The opposite of energy and light is absolute zero (z) and darkness (d)

Nothing = z/d
Spirituality = spiritual z (apathy, hate, cold) / spiritual d (grief, greed, fear, depression)
ignorance - Nothing going on upstairs!

These three were also needed for creation...

Mass - Multiply the weight of the universe in grams by the speed of light squared and you have the energy in joules required for creation.
Spirituality - The drive to make such a place
Intelligence - The thoughts required to design the ability to sense and reason.

Observe the following image...

aquarium1-smiley.gif

Mass- The smiley has the ability to see the beautiful sight
Spirituality - He is in awe at God's creation
Intelligence - The ability to appreciate what is beheld

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rFMn1XY4So

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not sure but I think the protestant people changed that teaching to say we have three parts Just like the trinity and that is what makes us in Gods image. Or something like that. I think they say the spirit can not die ever. Not sure though. I'm not saying I believe this or another though b/c I really don't know. Ever since I read what everyone has to say about the subject I realized that as long as we are connected to God through Jesus we are ok no matter how we understand it!

Hmm...well thanks for telling me!

I guess I am left wondering what the difference is between a spirit and a soul??

All I know is that a spiritual soul is a Platonic construct.

Christians believe in the resurrection of the soul - body + spirit.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
The soul is the part of us that is the seat of the mind, will, and emotions. The soul contains the personality of the individual. Our spirit is the innermost part of us that is detectable to us only by its reflection in the mirror of God's holy word.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The soul is the part of us that is the seat of the mind, will, and emotions. The soul contains the personality of the individual. Our spirit is the innermost part of us that is detectable to us only by its reflection in the mirror of God's holy word.

Do you have scripture for this idea?

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
John 3:6 says,
“That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.”
Jesus meant that there’s no direct connection between the two. Spirit is spirit and flesh is flesh. You simply cannot contact your spirit through your five senses or through your mind, will, or emotions. This is the key that unlocked my brain.
If you don’t understand that spiritual reality can’t be felt, then you’ll be confused when God’s Word declares that you have, living in you, the same power that raised Jesus from the dead (Eph. 1:18-20). If you think truth can be discerned through your natural senses, then you’ll be baffled when the Bible says you’re a brand-new creature who can do the same miraculous works that Jesus did (2 Cor. 5:17 and John 14:12).
The apparent disparity between your natural experiences and God’s Word will cause you to throw up your hands in frustration and conclude that it must not be true. It’s the understanding of spirit, soul, and body that unlocks who you are and what you have in Christ.
In the natural, the spirit realm can’t be seen or felt. The only way to accurately perceive spiritual truth is through the Bible. Simply believe God’s Word!
Jesus said in John 6:63,
“It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.”
God’s World reveals spiritual reality. If you want to know what your spirit is like, you must find out from the Word, not by relying on emotions or other perceptions. God’s Word is spirit and life! When you look at your face in a mirror, you trust what you see. God’s Word is just like that mirror; it reflects perfectly who you are in your spirit.
“For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therin, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed” (James 1:23-25).
You must look into God’s mirror and trust the spiritual reality you see! It reflects your new, born-again spirit, your innermost part.

For more:
http://www.awmi.net/extra/article/spirit_soul

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
we are not spirit beings - that is a Gnostic teaching!

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are spirit + body.

To call ourselves 'spiritual beings' is to deny a bodily resurrection.