We Can't Stop Sinning?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would say "repentance" means we stop committing sin
I would not. Or rather, the Bible does not define "repentance" that way.

The Hebrew word translated "to repent" is נָחַם, "nacham". It means to regret, to be sorry.

The Greek word translated "to repent" is μετανοέω, "metanoeo". It means to change your mind.

So repentance is a change of heart.

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think so. I don't think we have to worry about our every move or thought.
In the Sermon on the Mount passage I just quoted, Jesus applies the commandment against adultery to thoughts also, not just deeds.

And coveting by definition IS a thought.

And sins of omission are even worse.

So, not sinning is HARD. Some might even say impossible, though I leave room for God to do what is impossible for Man. I just wish He'd hurry up. Maybe He could start with me.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would not. Or rather, the Bible does not define "repentance" that way.

The Hebrew word translated "to repent" is נָחַם, "nacham". It means to regret, to be sorry.

The Greek word translated "to repent" is μετανοέω, "metanoeo". It means to change your mind.

So repentance is a change of mindset.
If "repentance" doesn't mean to stop sinning, it really doesn't mean anything, does it? If we continue to sin, what have we accomplished?

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the Sermon on the Mount passage I just quoted, Jesus applies the commandment against adultery to thoughts also, not just deeds.

And coveting by definition IS a thought.

And sins of omission are even worse.

So, not sinning is HARD. Some might even say impossible, though I leave room for God to do what is impossible for Man. I just wish He'd hurry up. Maybe He could start with me.
Jesus told us not to look lustfully at people - that is an action.

I'm not defending bad thoughts. I'm just saying that I think we have to do something before we're guilty of sin. Bad thoughts will lead to sin, so we must rein them in, but I don't think we should be paranoid about what we are thinking.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bad thoughts will lead to sin, so we must rein them in, but I don't think we should be paranoid about what we are thinking.
I’m saying that we should rein in our thoughts, words, and deeds, but we shouldn’t be paranoid about sin, period. (This is why people think I’m antinomian, but I’m not.)

I do think we should be aware of how Sin has corrupted our thoughts, and most important, we should have no illusions about our own righteousness, and be humble before God and our fellow humans.

Reactions: amadeus

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If "repentance" doesn't mean to stop sinning, it really doesn't mean anything, does it? If we continue to sin, what have we accomplished?
Behavior derives from the heart, but our accomplishments might not be what’s important to God.

“For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.” (1 Samuel 16:7)

Repentance is about the heart.

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“For it is from within, out of a person’s heart, that evil thoughts come—sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. All these evils come from inside and defile a person.” (Mark 7:21-23)

Listen to what Jesus is telling us.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Behavior derives from the heart, but our accomplishments might not be what’s important to God.

“For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.” (1 Samuel 16:7)

Repentance is about the heart.
I'm not talking about accomplishments. I'm talking about resisting the desire to sin.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "whole Bible" (or the rest of the Bible) does not negate something the Lord said to us.
I'll leave you with your absolutism and faulty 'faith' in your flesh. As long as you are in the flesh, you will have sin.