Weak Christians

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.

For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.

As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.

Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled.

A weak Christian is not necessarily a babe, but is a Christian whose conscience is weak concerning the liberty of the law of Christ, to partake of all things freely, yet without sin.

For them, whether it be meats, drinks, shows, careers, etc... it is too troubling to their conscience to try and partake moderately, and so they abstain altogether.

A weaker brother is therefore not one made weak by sinning, but is the opposite: one who does not partake of the lawful things for conscience sake.

A truly weaker Christian would be appalled at the idea, that somehow weak Christians are those still sinning against Christ.

Those still sinning over their consciences are not weak Christians, but condemned Christians in need of repentance.

Weak Christians simply don't exercise their liberty in the Lord for conscience sake. They keep their weaker consciences clean, by drinking no wine at all, much less being drunk and condemned.

Those getting drunk are not weak, but defiled.

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The doctrine of charity with the weaker Christian is not to try and impress or force upon them their liberty in the Lord, that the strong of conscience and knowledge of the word richly enjoy.

Stronger Christians ought not to flaunt their liberty in the face of the weaker, which is not brotherly kindness and patience.

But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.
And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?
But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ.
Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

Being courteous with the weaker conscience, has nothing to do with avoiding offending open Christian sinners, nor restoring them if they repent.

If I want to eat and drink, and not offend my weaker brother, then I don't do so in his presence, but if a Christian is a drunkard, then I avoid them altogether, and rebuke them if they ask why.

But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat.

Christian tolerance is with the weaker conscience, not with sinning against God.