Web hosting for web scripting

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anyone know of a good web host for web scripting? I am trying to set up a church site. Tried GoDaddy.com but the site is not for scripting.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HammerStone said:
When you say scripting, do you mean Javascript or what other language?

Reason I ask is that it depends. ;)
css and html. Most hosting services want you to use their wizards, which comes with a monthly fee.

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
rockytopva said:
css and html. Most hosting services want you to use their wizards, which comes with a monthly fee.
Godaddy will allow CSS and html you just use their file manger not their silly rtf editor posing as markup.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With GoDaddy I could not even link an image...

img src="images/phall.jpg"

would not display the phall image in the images folder. The lady on the phone made

img src=" /images/phall.jpg "

work. But it would not work for me when I tried it. But it worked fine on the desktop. I was hours trying to get just a few lines of html code to work and on the phone. The lady trying to help was experiencing countless crashes and kept asking me for my customer number.

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
Just log into the account go to the control panel use the file manager.

Then you can add an image directory if it's not there, put all your images there make your CSS and markup and put those into the root of the site.

Pretty straight forward.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds easy and straight forward... Until you upload your site and find your images have broken links.

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
Make a new directory for the images call it media, put your images in it, change the markup to reflect the new location see if it makes a difference.

If it still is causing issue open a support ticket with go daddy.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I tried multiple times with goDaddy and the reply was every time that they "do not support scripting."

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
They don't support file management and directory issues?

If you go to the image link in a browser can you see the image?

If not then go daddy is the issue. If so then your, markup has issues.

If the former open a ticket. If the latter send me the markup in a private message and I'll look it over.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Apparently there are three tiers of web hosting plans...

Economical - You use their wizards
Advanced - Third party site design tools welcome

goDaddy.com wanted you to use their wizards. They actually considered html and css 'scripting' and frowned upon it. They upfront told me that their plans do not allow scripting.

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
So you have no file manage or ftp access to upload files?

My goodness that would be insane.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have went with Yahoo and have successfully uploaded my website and all the links.

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
rockytopva said:
Well... This is a start. I have done the whole page in notepad.

http://merrimacchurch.com/
Ok looked at the site, you will need to kill the table and instead make divs to to that which tables do. Tables are great for data not for design.
You will need to update the swf to either and mp4 or to a webM, flash is not native on tablets and phones where much of web browsing is done today.
You will once you have that video updated have to css the video and make it so there is no overflow as right now it is covering your text on the right side on my phone browser. Controlling
the overflow keeps it in the div and doesn't spill onto another covering it.

There are online tools to convert the swf to an mp4 and once an mp4 it can be used with either HTML video markup or turned into a webM which the new format that is replacing animated GIFs.

Also in your css set all divs to percetages to allow it to be responsive to different devices and their resoltions. Use only one font family instead of two, padding and margins can be set in percents as well but borders should remain in pixels. All buttons, menu areas should be set to at least 48px (but expressed as percentages) as that fits better to fingers on touch devices.

Also use mozilla thimble to look at your css and markup as you do it. A lil better than notepad.

If you need any help let me know.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for the advice. My first goal is to set up the navigation. I admit I have some eyesores here that need to be fixed.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
pom2014 said:
Ok looked at the site, you will need to kill the table and instead make divs to to that which tables do. Tables are great for data not for design.
You will need to update the swf to either and mp4 or to a webM, flash is not native on tablets and phones where much of web browsing is done today.
You will once you have that video updated have to css the video and make it so there is no overflow as right now it is covering your text on the right side on my phone browser. Controlling
the overflow keeps it in the div and doesn't spill onto another covering it.

There are online tools to convert the swf to an mp4 and once an mp4 it can be used with either HTML video markup or turned into a webM which the new format that is replacing animated GIFs.

Also in your css set all divs to percetages to allow it to be responsive to different devices and their resoltions. Use only one font family instead of two, padding and margins can be set in percents as well but borders should remain in pixels. All buttons, menu areas should be set to at least 48px (but expressed as percentages) as that fits better to fingers on touch devices.

Also use mozilla thimble to look at your css and markup as you do it. A lil better than notepad.

If you need any help let me know.
I think I am going to re-direct for a two-column mobile site. I will use the mp4 and smaller buttons on those pages. I think the site is looking better! Should get some exposure to the community!

http://merrimacchurch.com/index.html

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
You won't need to do a redirect to a mobile version of you make your design responsive with percentages and setting your meta tag for media and adding a viewport CSS call for IE.

It should all render whether they use a PC, mobile or a TV.

Never double your work when you can just write it once smartly.

The old manta used to be write once run anywhere.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
pom2014 said:
You won't need to do a redirect to a mobile version of you make your design responsive with percentages and setting your meta tag for media and adding a viewport CSS call for IE.

It should all render whether they use a PC, mobile or a TV.

Never double your work when you can just write it once smartly.

The old manta used to be write once run anywhere.
How would I eliminate the third column for the mobile sites ???