Were the brothers in Matthew 13:55 Mary's sons?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
Nope, Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) were Jesus's cousins as I've proven in my thread Were they Jesus's sibllings?
Noted, but we live by faith according to Sola Scriptural, wherefore teachable to children themselves. And not by sight, to what later twisted theologians and scholars help to see by their fallacy scope.

Jesus corrected His disciple not to forbid children from clinging on to Him. Using them as an example, He said come and learn the kingdom of GOD like these children.

The inspired writers as according to firsthand eyewitnesses would have stated, 'cousins', as they stated in the case of Mary and Elizabeth. Therefore, am sticking to what is written instead, they are His half brothers and sisters by Joseph and Mary.

Last edited:

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The inspired writers as according to firsthand eyewitnesses would have stated, 'cousins', as they stated in the case of Mary and Elizabeth. Therefore, am sticking to what is written instead, they are His half brothers and sisters by Joseph and Mary.

There's multiple words in the Koine Greek language that can be used to refer to a cousin, such as "ἀνεψιός" (anepsios), which has the specific familial definition "a nephew, cousin," as well as "συγγενίς" (syngenis), "συγγενής" (syngenēs), "ἀδελφός" (sing. adelphos; pl. ἀδελφοὶ adelphoi), and "αδελφαι" (sing. ἀδελφή adelphē; pl. αδελφαι adelphai), which all have the broader familial definition "a kinsman/kinswoman, relative," and can be used to refer to various types of kin, including cousin.

In Lk. 1:36, in the original language used (Koine Greek), Elizabeth isn't specifically called "cousin," but rather "συγγενίς" (syngenis), which again has the broad familial definition "a kinswoman, female relative," and thus can refer to a sibling, cousin, niece, or aunt, etc. Can you provide evidence that shows Mary's kinswoman/relative, Elizabeth, was Her cousin? I can.

Therefore, am sticking to what is written instead, they are His half brothers and sisters by Joseph and Mary.

In Matt. 13:55/Mk. 6:3, in the original language used (Koine Greek), Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) aren't specifically called "siblings," nor "half-brothers," but rather "ἀδελφοὶ" (adelphoi), which has the broad familial definition "kinsman, or relative," and thus can refer to a sibling, cousin, nephew, or uncle, etc. Can you provide evidence that proves Jesus’s kinsmen/relatives Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) were His siblings? I know you can't, because in my thread Were they Jesus’s siblings?, I’ve proven Jesus’s kinsmen/relatives Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) were the sons of His mother's spouse's brother, Alphaeus, thus making them His cousins.

Last edited:

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
There's multiple words in the Koine Greek language that can be used to refer to a cousin, such as "ἀνεψιός" (anepsios), which has the specific familial definition "a nephew, cousin," as well as "συγγενίς" (syngenis), "συγγενής" (syngenēs), "ἀδελφός" (sing. adelphos; pl. ἀδελφοὶ adelphoi), and "αδελφαι" (sing. ἀδελφή adelphē; pl. αδελφαι adelphai), which all have the broader familial definition "a kinsman/kinswoman, relative," and can be used to refer to various types of kin, including cousin.

In Lk. 1:36, in the original language used (Koine Greek), Elizabeth isn't specifically called "cousin," but rather "συγγενίς" (syngenis), which again has the broad familial definition "a kinswoman, female relative," and thus can refer to a sibling, cousin, niece, or aunt, etc. Can you provide evidence that shows Mary's kinswoman, Elizabeth, was Her cousin? I can.

In Matt. 13:55/Mk. 6:3, in the original language used (Koine Greek), Jesus's brothers Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) aren't specifically called "siblings," nor "half-brothers," but rather "ἀδελφοὶ" (adelphoi), which has the broad familial definition "kinsman, or relative," and thus can refer to a sibling, cousin, nephew, or uncle, etc. Can you provide evidence that shows those kinsmen/relatives of Jesus were His siblings? I know you can't, because what makes those kinsmen of Jesus His cousins is the evidence that proves they were the sons of Jesus's mother's spouse's brother, Alphaeus. See my thread Were they Jesus's sibllings?
For it is written, But GOD chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise. Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you thinks that he is wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise. For the wisdom of this world is folly with GOD. For it is written, "He catches the wise in their craftiness," and again, "The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are futile."

Before we continue back and forth, best we end it here, thank you.

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In Lk. 1:36, in the original language used (Koine Greek), Elizabeth isn't specifically called "cousin," but rather "συγγενίς" (syngenis), which again has the broad familial definition "a kinswoman, female relative," and thus can refer to a sibling, cousin, niece, or aunt, etc. Can you provide evidence that shows Mary's kinswoman/relative, Elizabeth, was Her cousin? I can.

In Matt. 13:55/Mk. 6:3, in the original language used (Koine Greek), Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) aren't specifically called "siblings," nor "half-brothers," but rather "ἀδελφοὶ" (adelphoi), which has the broad familial definition "kinsman, or relative," and thus can refer to a sibling, cousin, nephew, or uncle, etc. Can you provide evidence that proves Jesus’s kinsmen/relatives Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) were His siblings? I know you can't, because in my thread Were they Jesus’s siblings?, I’ve proven Jesus’s kinsmen/relatives Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) were the sons of His mother's spouse's brother, Alphaeus, thus making them His cousins.

For it is written, But GOD chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise. Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among you thinks that he is wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise. For the wisdom of this world is folly with GOD. For it is written, "He catches the wise in their craftiness," and again, "The Lord knows the thoughts of the wise, that they are futile."

Before we continue back and forth, best we end it here, thank you.

That passage has nothing to do with this. Going forward, please try to not take scriptural passages out of context, thank you. And, your bow out has been duly noted.

Last edited: