Were the brothers in Matthew 13:55 Mary's sons?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You knew it would look like i said he never appeared to Matthias...

If I wanted to give that impression I wouldn't have put an elipsis lol.

Jesus did not appear to the 11 disciples after they had chosen Matthias. There is no scripture that supports that idea.

Incorrect. Acts 1 takes place after apostle Judas Iscariot's suicide and Jesus's ascension, the election of Judas's successor by the other eleven begins in Ac. 1:15, and ends with Matthias being chosen and added unto the eleven in verse 26, thus making twelve apostles again. Following the election of Matthias is this scene in the Book of Corinthians: "He (Jesus) appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve..." (1. Cor. 15:5).

I think it's possible that was Jesus bother and not one of the disciples.

Why do you think it's not possible that the apostle James in Gal. 1:19 was the same as either apostle James of Zebedee of the Twelve or James of Alphaeus of the Twelve, and Paul called him by their title "the Lord's brother" to distinguish him from the other? Especially since the apostles James and John of Zebedee of the Twelve were called by the title "the Sons of Thunder."

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why didn't just post my whole statement.

I didn't need to, and I put an ellipsis to show it wasn't all you said.

Jesus did not appear to the 11 disciples after they had chosen Matthias. There is no scripture that supports that idea.

Incorrect. Acts 1 takes place after apostle Judas Iscariot's suicide and Jesus's ascension, the election of Judas's successor by the other eleven begins in Ac. 1:15, and ends with Matthias being chosen and added unto the eleven in verse 26, thus making twelve apostles again. Following the election of Matthias is this scene in the Book of Corinthians: "He (Jesus) appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve..." (1. Cor. 15:5).

Why do you think it's not possible that the apostle James in Gal. 1:19 was the same as either apostle James of Zebedee of the Twelve or James of Alphaeus of the Twelve, and Paul called him by their title "the Lord's brother" to distinguish him from the other? Especially since the apostles James and John of Zebedee of the Twelve were called by the title "the Sons of Thunder."

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't believe a word you say.

K.

Incorrect. Acts 1 takes place after apostle Judas Iscariot's suicide and Jesus's ascension, the election of Judas's successor by the other eleven begins in Ac. 1:15, and ends with Matthias being chosen and added unto the eleven in verse 26, thus making twelve apostles again. Following the election of Matthias is this scene in the Book of Corinthians: "He (Jesus) appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve..." (1. Cor. 15:5). So, Jesus did appear to the eleven, incuding Matthias, after they elected him.

Last edited:

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All I can say is poor Joseph.

If they continued to have separate bedrooms after Jesus was born, that could be why Joseph was never mentioned after Jesus was 12.

He just might have moved on.

• Haha
Reactions: TonyChanYT

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All I can say is poor Joseph.

If they continued to have separate bedrooms after Jesus was born, that could be why Joseph was never mentioned after Jesus was 12.

He just might have moved on.

I understand you don't accept that Joseph and Mary mutually agreed to be chaste in marriage, but please don't make jokes like that about a man God chose as Mary's spouse and Jesus's earthly father.

Now, Joseph wouldn't have thought "Poor me," nor did he move on. And, just because the books that make up the New Testament lack information about Joseph past a certain point, doesn't mean he was no longer in Jesus's life, because those books don't contain every detail about Jesus's life.

Additionally, we actually do have more information about Joseph, thanks to Jesus Himself. He showed Maria Valtorta scenes of His earthly life, including that of Joseph and Mary prior to His birth, which I've read. That's how I know Joseph and Mary both had chosen to take a vow of chastity for God, and they chose to continue in that vow even in marriage, and they truly loved each other. Joseph died not long before Jesus began His three year ministry. Jesus and Mary were there at his bedside reciting prayers for him in his final moments.

Last edited:

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
I think so. Matthew 13:

The home in Hometown refers to the biological family.

i.e., familial son

i.e., the biological mother

biological half-brothers? Was Joseph named after his father?

biological half-sisters?

More evidence of biological/familial terms.

Mark 6:

More and more evidence of biological/familial terms.

Luke 2:

Presumably, after the firstborn, Mary would have her 2nd born, etc.

There is some archaeological evidence concerning James Ossuary:

I think it is more likely that Jesus had biological half-brothers.
We born again and disciple by the Holy Bible, live by faith and not by sight. Faith comes from hearing and hearing the Word of GOD. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.

So, we believe in Sola Scriptural, where firsthand eyewitnesses account, a community of kinsmen to one another and neighbors of the same faith. Even to Jesus' chosen Apostles who are Israelite, they have all clearly testified about the family of Jesus.

Mary's calling was to conceive and give birth to the Messiah, and bring him up from child, as any parent would do. But Jesus growing in wisdom and stature was entirely by Himself and the Heavenly FATHER.

That's why Joseph and Mary had hard time understanding Jesus and His calling. After the virgin birth there was no added calling for Mary, therefore they continued as normal Jewish husband and wife.

So, as GOD ordained marriage, also ordained having children, and that's holy, apart from how the children is brought up. Therefore, why not Joseph and Mary go on to have sons and daughters, moreover bringing them up under the Law of Moses?

It's ordained by GOD and is holy to GOD, and clean, as HE already given record of it even from Genesis. Now, the irony is with the doctrine for teaching the commandments of men. That perverted intend, to keep Mary virgin still and divine, in order to use her to intercede and mediate.

This is demonic, even behind every idol there is a demon, and offering done to idols are done to demons. Beware and not be deceived for the spirit of anti-Christ and their dogmas have evolved until today.

Having disciple thoroughly in the Holy Bible a true church should be able to distinguish between the 'spirit of truth' and the 'spirit of error', as witnesses.

The Apostle testified then, even though the anti-Christ have not appeared, but the spirit of anti-Christ is already here. According to Apostle Peter, these people are ignorant and unstable who twist the testament of the Apostles and so do other Scripture, to their own destruction.

It's not surprising from then and now it is still the same and are with us. Jesus disciple us by saying, "Your worst enemy will be in your own household."

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's why Joseph and Mary had hard time understanding Jesus and His calling. After the virgin birth there was no added calling for Mary, therefore they continued as normal Jewish husband and wife.

False. Thanks to Jesus Himself, He showed Maria Valtorta scenes of His earthly life, including that of Joseph and Mary prior to His birth, which she described and I've read. That's how I know Joseph and Mary both had chosen to take a vow of chastity for God, and they chose to continue in that vow even in marriage, and they truly loved each other. They even understood Jesus's mission on Earth and that He would die.

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A little light reading that applies somewhat to the subject of

Were the brothers in Matthew 13:55 Mary's sons?​

When did the belief in Mary’s perpetual virginity start?

Bible Question:​

We just finished reading your excellent article on “How Many Brothers did Jesus Have?” When did this belief begin in the church since several of the reformers including Luther, Calvin, Zwingli and John Wesley all held to the perpetual virginity dogma?

Bible Answer:​

The earliest evidence for the teaching that Mary was a perpetual virgin occurs in the writings of the early church father Jerome[1] who was born in A.D. 347 and died about A.D. 419. Prior to Jerome there is no evidence that the early church taught anything other than the scriptural record – that Jesus had siblings: flesh and blood brothers and sisters. Some have claimed that Origen was the first early father who wrote that Mary was a perpetual virgin, but a close examination of his statement reveals that is not true.

And I think it in harmony with reason that Jesus was the first-fruit among men of the purity which consists in chastity, and Mary among women; for it were not pious to ascribe to any other than to her the first-fruit of virginity.[2]

His statement was simply that Jesus’ mother was a virgin, and not that she was a perpetual virgin.

Other early church fathers taught that Mary was a perpetual virgin also. At first this might appear impressive and decisive, but a closer examination reveals that the early church writers who held this viewpoint wrote after A.D. 300 and not during the first, second, or even the third centuries. This is important since the Roman Catholic church began to emerge as an organization sometime around A.D. 300. This strongly implies that the teaching of Mary’s perpetual virginity started with the Roman Catholic Church.

It continues on...... (see link)

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We born again and disciple by the Holy Bible, live by faith and not by sight. Faith comes from hearing and hearing the Word of GOD. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.

So, we believe in Sola Scriptural, where firsthand eyewitnesses account, a community of kinsmen to one another and neighbors of the same faith. Even to Jesus' chosen Apostles who are Israelite, they have all clearly testified about the family of Jesus.

Mary's calling was to conceive and give birth to the Messiah, and bring him up from child, as any parent would do. But Jesus growing in wisdom and stature was entirely by Himself and the Heavenly FATHER.

So, as GOD ordained marriage, also ordained having children, and that's holy, apart from how the children is brought up. Therefore, why not Joseph and Mary go on to have sons and daughters, moreover bringing them up under the Law of Moses?

It's ordained by GOD and is holy to GOD, and clean, as HE already given record of it even from Genesis. Now, the irony is with the doctrine for teaching the commandments of men. That perverted intend, to keep Mary virgin still and divine, in order to use her to intercede and mediate.

This is demonic, even behind every idol there is a demon, and offering done to idols are done to demons. Beware and not be deceived for the spirit of anti-Christ and their dogmas have evolved until today.

Having disciple thoroughly in the Holy Bible a true church should be able to distinguish between the 'spirit of truth' and the 'spirit of error', as witnesses.

The Apostle testified then, even though the anti-Christ have not appeared, but the spirit of anti-Christ is already here. According to Apostle Peter, these people are ignorant and unstable who twist the testament of the Apostles and so do other Scripture, to their own destruction.

It's not surprising from then and now it is still the same and are with us. Jesus disciple us by saying, "Your worst enemy will be in your own household."
So were the brothers in Matthew 13:55 Mary's sons?

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. They were either Joseph's sons from his previous marriage, or cousins. Mary had no other children. Here's an informative article on it: Was Mary a Perpetual Virgin?
Poor , poor Joseph. 12 years is a very long time.

I am certain I can match you article for article with your proof she stayed a virgin and mine saying she did not.....

But how do you counter the translation of the Peshetta?

For those who do not know... The Peshitta is a collection of Aramaic manuscripts of the Bible. Aramaic was the most common “shared language” among people of the Near East and Middle East for many centuries. This includes the years immediately before and after the earthly ministry of Jesus. For this reason, the Peshitta was an important early translation of the Bible, widely distributed and widely used.

And it is translated
25And he did not know her sexually until she delivered her firstborn son, and she called his name Yeshua.

Are you really going to try and justify that as stated this means he did not know her sexually
ever?

Sigma

Aug 16, 2023
PNW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And it is translated
25And he did not know her sexually until she delivered her firstborn son, and she called his name Yeshua.

Are you really going to try and justify that as stated this means he did not know her sexually
ever?

Matt. 1:25 doesn't indicate whether Joseph and Mary did or didn't have sexual intercourse past a certain point, which is the savior's birth. Consider the context of the preceding verses Matt. 1:20-24, where Matthew speaks about the ways in which the long-awaited messianic prophecy has come to fruition, such as Joseph accepting as his spouse the virgin who conceived the Savior of mankind by the Holy Spirit. In Matt. 1:25, he reiterates and reinforces that the Savior was truly begotten by the Holy Spirit, and born of the virgin Mary, by referring to a specific period where Joseph didn't have sexual intercourse with Mary that would dispel any belief the Savior was conceived by him and not the Holy Spirit, nor born of a virgin: pre-birth of the Savior.

How would Matthew implying Joseph had or didn't have sexual intercourse with Mary post-birth dispel any belief the Savior was conceived by him and not the Holy Spirit, nor born of a virgin, when that's the point of verse 1:25?

As to whether or not Joseph and Mary had sexual intercourse, they never did, because Jesus made that clear to Maria Valtorta. Joseph and Mary had chosen to chaste for God, and chose to continue in that vow even in marriage.

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
So were the brothers in Matthew 13:55 Mary's sons?
Yup, for these are Israelite firsthand eyewitnesses, including the Apostles' account. Rather than later arose twisted scholars and theologians, even catholic church assumption, just to preserve Mary's virginity and include her a deity.

The Apostles and the church who have GOD, the Lord, and the Holy Spirit, are clear in their Gospels. Rather than historically church imposters and counterfeits have come and said otherwise. (Matthew 15:9)

When Mary visited Elisabeth, Israelite firsthand eyewitnesses witness to Luke in his research, that Elizabeth was Mary's 'cousin', and not 'sister'.

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Poor , poor Joseph. 12 years is a very long time.

I am certain I can match you article for article with your proof she stayed a virgin and mine saying she did not.....

But how do you counter the translation of the Peshetta?

For those who do not know... The Peshitta is a collection of Aramaic manuscripts of the Bible. Aramaic was the most common “shared language” among people of the Near East and Middle East for many centuries. This includes the years immediately before and after the earthly ministry of Jesus. For this reason, the Peshitta was an important early translation of the Bible, widely distributed and widely used.

And it is translated

ever?
You can't change the Gospel to mean what you want it to mean. You have to accept it for what the writer meant at the time, in his language and culture.

Even the founder of Protestantism, Martin Luther, believed that Mary had no other children:

Christ . . . was the only Son of Mary, and the Virgin Mary bore no children besides Him . . . I am inclined to agree with those who declare that 'brothers' really mean 'cousins' here, for Holy Writ and the Jews always call cousins brothers.
{Pelikan, ibid., v.22:214-15 / Sermons on John, chaps. 1-4 (1539)}

Here is a good article that explains why Mary had no other children: The Case for Mary's Perpetual Virginity