What are man-made sins?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most of these are not supported by scripture....but could you rephrase your response, I got lost in the circle. lol
LOL
Simply, where a person is in God makes a difference. How much knowledge a person has in the things of God makes a difference. How much experience a person has in the things of God makes a difference. Babies in the Lord may not know enough to realize what it is that they are doing that to another would definitely be a sin. These and others make the thing at times so complex that only God could sort it all out and render a fair judgment.

If it is not part of our job description or necessary to something in our job description, we should most definitely leave it alone. God is able.

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
The Essenes were great and thank God for them, but no real part of Christianity. The more you know about the culture the more all this makes sense. Christ was accused more than once of hanging out with the drinkers. It is a culture thing....what else did they have to drink.
i have always been interested in the Essenes, the ones of Qumran, not the west coast movement from the 60s. Jesus and the Essenes shared a lot of teachings, John B was most likely an Essene, they were the only ones at the time that called themselves a new covenant community. people should be very thankful they were ably to protect their library from rome.

Reactions: Grailhunter

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
Oh funny, you reminded me ...talk about a double standard. We lived by the sea back then...and the second spiritual oversight in charge , a lady...( she was actually lovely and taught me much , things I have never forgotten) felt it was sin to be undressed on the beach. ( I was 24 at the time and did have a bikini :) ) ...she asked ME to go with her down to the beach and teach her two young boys 7 & 8 how to swim! So she looked after my two toddlers , while I taught her boys how to swim. And she never told me to cover up as I was 'sinning'..haha!! But her dress was almost to the ankles, with long sleeves.
ha ha funny story. i guess the swimming thing got overlooked down here as it gets so hot in the summer. we used to jump in the irrigation canals that we used to water rice fields, the water was so cold but felt good. and we would all be in our underwear, dont tell my preacher!!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi amadeus,

That's just it . . . hypotheticals aren't real, and therefore, all you can do is surmise and speculate.

Much love!

The thought that came to mind when I read amadeus' post and yours was that Jesus taught in parables. So...they were hypotheticals.

Has any woman ever lost a coin? Yes. Was His parable specifically about an actual woman named Phyllis who lost a coin? No.

Has any son ever squandered his inheritance? Yes.

So my point is that...well, I guess you can surmise my point. :)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The thought that came to mind when I read amadeus' post and yours was that Jesus taught in parables. So...they were hypotheticals.

Has any woman ever lost a coin? Yes. Was His parable specifically about an actual woman named Phyllis who lost a coin? No.

And this then to you is the same?

Jesus teaching in a parable, and us playing, What if?

Much love!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I guess the difference with Jesus' parables was who he was and where he got what he taught people. He never made a mistake in this because of what he knew even he presented his knowledge in the form of a parable. If we have definite knowledge of all of the possibilities will also never miss, but how often do we really have that?

Also we are speaking of what is sin? We cannot easily write a clear definition at time because an action that would be sin for one person might not be sin because of the circumstances. Sometimes we know some of the circumstances of another person, but God always knows all of the circumstances. If we have all of His knowledge regarding an event then we, like Jesus, will not need to miss the mark in judging that event.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I guess the difference with Jesus' parables was who he was and where he got what he taught people. He never made a mistake in this because of what he knew even he presented his knowledge in the form of a parable. If we have definite knowledge of all of the possibilities will also never miss, but how often do we really have that?

Also we are speaking of what is sin? We cannot easily write a clear definition at time because an action that would be sin for one person might not be sin because of the circumstances. Sometimes we know some of the circumstances of another person, but God always knows all of the circumstances. If we have all of His knowledge regarding an event then we, like Jesus, will not need to miss the mark in judging that event.
But we can say that sin is missing the mark God has set....
Falling short of what HE would want from us.

To us it may not even seem like a sin...but to a perfectly holy and Almighty God, anything we do, ever so slight even, can be determined to be a sin.

Should we despair?
No. Jesus and the Apostles and the church fathers all assure us that if we ask forgiveness, we will surely be forgiven...Jesus does not lie.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But we can say that sin if missing the mark God has set....
Falling short of what HE would want from us.

To us it may not even seem like a sin...but to a perfectly holy and Almighty God, anything we do, ever so slight even, can be determined to be a sin.

Should we despair?
No. Jesus and the Apostles and the church fathers all assure us that if we ask forgiveness, we will surely be forgiven...Jesus does not lie.
Indeed, but we really must also continue to grow toward God. What was sufficient for yesterday may not be sufficient for today because we have increased in knowledge. What God will require of us will depend on what we do with what we have... including knowledge:

"But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." Luke 12:48

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Indeed, but we really must also continue to grow toward God. What was sufficient for yesterday may not be sufficient for today because we have increased in knowledge. What God will require of us will depend on what we do with what we have... including knowledge:

"But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more." Luke 12:48
Amen to that.
God only gives us the grace we use (after salvation)
Why give us more if we don't use it?

This is how I feel:
The more I learn...
The more I realize how little I know.
And I think it will always be like this till my last day.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I reviewed this thread because I posted the thread on the Ten Commandments and I remembered something an older preacher said to me when I was young and it stuck with me for a good part of my life. He said, You are not what you say you are, you are what you do and where you place your faith. James said, Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. And there have been those that thought he was opposing what Paul said, Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law. But they are not talking about the same thing. James was talking about helping people and he went on to say, You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. We are not saved by the works of anything, but if the love of Christ is in us we are compelled to apply the spirit of Christ in our lives. One of the reasons I brought up the topic of man-made sins, the Ten Commandments, and the Mosaic Law was that we can get so focused on what not to do, that we loose focus on what we should be doing. This was a concern for some of the early church fathers who were so concerned with sin and the sinful world, that they separated themselves from nearly all human contact. They spent their lives in trees, towers, caves, and monasteries. They were very religious, they prayed and worshiped God a lot, but what service were these devout Christians to Christianity? To Christ? What examples did they set for us centuries later? Today we have separatists, and those that separate themselves in different ways from the sinful world. Christ spoke of the world being sinful, but He did not separate Himself from it. He spent so much time eating and drinking with the sinners that He was accused of being a glutton and drunkard. We are suppose to be a light to the world. Wherever we are at, we should be a light to the world, and the sinful world needs that light.

Reactions: GodsGrace

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i remember lots of these when i was a kid, i really believed they were sins. i remember when the internet was new back in the 90s it was a sin, man and women (not married) living together was a sin. what was the problem with going to the swimming pool?
I recall my great uncle, complaining about the couple that lived on our road that were in what he called a common law marriage. Said we shouldn’t play with their children

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
I recall my great uncle, complaining about the couple that lived on our road that were in what he called a common law marriage. Said we shouldn’t play with their children
i wonder if they were poor people? i know lots of people that were not married because they could not afford to get married.