What are the Biblical and legal grounds for Marriage Divorce?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Biblem

Mar 26, 2023
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria
Marriage is a covenant that requires a lifelong commitment to love, honor, and support for one’s spouse. Divorce is a breach of this covenant, and Christians are always encouraged to strive for faithfulness and commitment to their marital vows.

What is divorce? Divorce is a Legal dissolution or annulment..

Reactions: dev553344

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What are the Biblical and legal grounds for Marriage Divorce?​

Fornication.

“But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.” (Matthew 5:32)

Biblem

Mar 26, 2023
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria

Fornication.

“But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.” (Matthew 5:32)
You can check out other articles from heavenbreed.com

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Marriage is a covenant that requires a lifelong commitment to love, honor, and support for one’s spouse. Divorce is a breach of this covenant, and Christians are always encouraged to strive for faithfulness and commitment to their marital vows.

What is divorce? Divorce is a Legal dissolution or annulment..
"And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for unchastity, and marries another, commits adultery." Matthew 19:9

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let's continue the discussion on a new topic.

/

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If you are divorced whilst still a non-Christian you will be forgiven when you turn to Christ and become born again. As Jesus said to the woman, “Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Fornication.

Well I guess if your spouse divorces you because of some other non-essential reason then you know their a cheater and maybe your better off anyways without them.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are divorced whilst still a non-Christian you will be forgiven when you turn to Christ and become born again. As Jesus said to the woman, “Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”
What do you say about divorce and/or remarriage of Christians?
Some are victims of divorce. Their spouse decides for them. They have no say in the matter.

My observation is that most remarried couples are quite happy.
Should we put them out of the church? Should they be prevented from ministry work?

Makes you wonder if we marry too young, or need to allow for personal growth as we age. ???

/

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What do you say about divorce and/or remarriage of Christians?
Some are victims of divorce. Their spouse decides for them. They have no say in the matter.

My observation is that most remarried couples are quite happy.
Should we put them out of the church? Should they be prevented from ministry work?

Makes you wonder if we marry too young, or need to allow for personal growth as we age. ???

/
I know a lovely married couple who became Christian after their marriage, but because he was previously married he is not allowed to be a vicar in the CoE which is where his heart is. God accepts him and forgives him but the CoE doesn't.

Last edited:

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People love to point fingers...just one of those things that "some" love to do to claim superior righteousness.

But...some marriages end. Usually because someone in the marriage is desiring unrealistic expectations from the marriage or doesn't own the capacity to be a marriage partner.

So...is it reasonable to point fingers?

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know a lovely married couple who became Christian after their marriage, but because he was previously married he is not allowed to be a vicar in the CoE which is where his heart is.
Yes. It seems that we are limiting valuable resources to satisfy dogmatic requirements.

/

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Remarriage after divorce is a very risky proposition...

If a marriage fails and former spouses remarry....only a 33% chance of success exists in a second marriage. It gets smaller with each successive marriage. (But people keep trying) And the 33% only exists for those waiting a minimum of 2 years after the divorce decree is final. If sooner than the 2 year mark it is similar stats to having an affair partner.

Affair partners have just under a 10% chance of having a successful marriage.

Who wants to play with those odds? You can get better odds in Vegas.