What are you doing to grow spiritually ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enquirer

Aug 5, 2014
South Africa
What are you doing to grow spiritually ?

Well currently I am working on self control and humility ... self control we understand, but humility is sometimes
thought of as being weak or being pure and meek like a little lamb.

Whoever is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit than he who takes a city. Prov 16:32

I find this verse pretty much sums it up for me.

So how to do ?

I choose my battleground - in this instance where I'm going to engage in warfare with my flesh.

A situation arises and immediately the old man, the flesh rears his ugly head.
Right, I say to myself, this looks like a good place to engage the enemy.

My flesh would say something like, "Are you going to let them get away with that, you're going to have to say or do
something about this ... if you don't, well then you're going to look like a fool.
Think about how you feel, huh, don't you feel angry, I mean who do they think they are, don't let them get away with it.

AND IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT PEOPLE THINK ... DESTROY THAT TEMPTATION TO TAKE THE BAIT.

I simply ignore the flesh and tell myself, Enquirer, you DO NOT HAVE TO RESPOND, and if you do so, do it without
aggression, just hang in there, the "feeling" will go away, strengthen yourself through this experience, don't respond.
In the beginning it was tough, but after having practiced it many times it's much easier to do.

Within me I sense a new thing taking place, a "knowing" of a new strength ... and this "knowing" comes from deep down
within ... from my spirit ... and when I sense it, it is exhilarating.
I would like to think of it as power from purity.
It is so strong that it is almost tangible.

My marriage has benefited from this, my relationships with staff at work, even here and so on and on.

When a person begins to grow the fruit of the spirit - I interpret Gal 5 to mean the human spirit and not the Holy spirit -
each one of these fruits - yes I know it's singular - each one of them covers a vast range of the "works of the flesh".
Take a look at love for instance, then look at the works of the flesh that are listed, do you see how many "works of the flesh"
are eliminated by love itself ?

I see the fruit - each one listed - as layer upon layer over the flesh drowning it out, destroying it's effectiveness, perfecting
holiness.
I remember a preacher from the US by the name of Ed Cole saying that "Manhood was synonymous with Christlikeness".
So to be a real man was to imitate Jesus and not get all bent out of shape when I get offended.
I'm not a man when I get aggressive but a man when I walk in self control and behave like Jesus.

The image of so-called men portrayed in today's media and society is directly the opposite.
"I gotta be Rambo", "I'm gonna kill you dead", and a few others not worth mentioning.

So how do you do it, how are you growing into the image of our Lord ?

Reactions: KingJ

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
What we do depends a lot on our age and spiritual maturity. I politely ask God many questions all day long. He gives me rhema after rhema.

But I still maintain we can't beat regular church attendance. We can't give and receive elsewhere as much as we can / should at church.

I agree with you on humility. That is something to be constantly mindful of as a Christian. God of the universe humbled Himself to us. It is definitely manhood ;).

I often try and read what is not written to better understand God. Take Rev 12:7 as an example ''Then war broke out in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back'' What actually happened here? An ANT demanded the throne from God of the universe. This tells us that God was so humble in His dealings with these ants. Would an ant in your house ever be that bold? I would squash it. But God didn't do that. After the request was denied, God still allowed the ant a chance to throw a temper tantrum. God could have flicked the devil out of heaven. But He didn't. He did not abuse the devil! He respected the devil by getting Michael to remove him. An ANT felt confident to take His throne :).

Reactions: Enquirer

Chuckt

Sep 8, 2014
How does a modern day David grow in the Lord these days? That is the difficulty.

I will bless the LORD, who hath given me counsel: my reins also instruct me in the night seasons. -Psalm 16:7

Modern day people who are chased by Saul for a generation in the wilderness would worry. They would try to handle things themselves. Imagine living in the wilderness and having David's problems every day. The problems don't go away but David had the Lord.

Matthew 6:25-6:34 is a good passage on worry.
http://www.blbclassic.org/Bible.cfm?b=Mat&c=6&t=KJV#25

You wouldn't believe how many people call the Christian radio station and say, "I am depressed" but they have problems.
Problems in this life for some people are many and continual.

Knowing that the Lord will instruct us through His word and knowing that the Lord won't take these problems away from us and learning not to worry or to handle these things in our life by ourselves is a lesson we have to learn.

The modern world goes to the bar to drink their problems away but the believer has only the Lord.

Enquirer

Aug 5, 2014
South Africa
@ KingJ ... very true concerning your point of church attendance ... I find it difficult to take advice from armchair Christians.
The anointing, rhema, etc., are found in the Spirit's presence and when in church the corporate anointing is exceptionally
powerful.
I find that I especially connect to God during praise and worship, that's when He reveals things to me ... especially in a visual
format in my spirit.
Currently He is guiding me and instructing me in the area of building up my faith.

@ Chuckt ... that is especially helpful to the normal believer to know that God does not just remove opportunities for us to learn.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
delaying gratification
regulating emotions
suspending disbelief
working on cognitive flexibility

Reactions: Enquirer

Enquirer

Aug 5, 2014
South Africa
Thunderkat said:
I am trying to incorporate worship into my daily life but God told me to read his word more...but I get lazy :(
We all feel that way at times, so make learning fun ... the difference between swatting the books and watching a movie or playing some
sport is ... the fun factor.
I find that a Forum like this is very helpful, it's fun place to learn ... and while you're at it, put on some music, spiritual music and just
sing along as you type or read or even pray.
Kill two birds with one stone.