What are Your Feelings on Tithes

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
Don't be ridiculous. The destruction of the temple in 70 A.D. in no way represents the rebuking of the devourer mentioned in Malachi. You make a mockery of God's word in saying this.

The reality is simple...that the scribes and Pharisees, while they gave a tenth of anise and cumin and other spices, neglected the weightier matters of the law...and this they should have done without leaving the other undone.

The temple was destroyed in 70 A.D. not because they tithed and this was the devourer coming against the reality of God's word...no.

The temple was destroyed because Israel did not recognize the time of her visitation.

You attempt to make the word of God null and void by your statements; and in doing so you are doing the work of the devil himself.

The temple came down for a these reasons.

1. As in the wilderness for forty years unbelievers were not allow to go into the promise land. 70 AD would be approximately forty years from Jesus being put on the cross.
2. The scribes and Pharisees, who took over the temple were, as Jesus pointed out, children of the devil, not the children of Israel. As such they desecrated it.
3. Put a total end to the age of Law.

One can learn a lot by reading Flavius Josephus writings, The Wars of the Jews.

Reactions: Giuliano

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
Under the 'law' people were required to tithe 10%. Under the new covenant we are required to give generously.
The Cheerful Giver
2Co 9:6 But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
2Co 9:7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
2Co 9:8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:

This was not speaking of tithing but giving to the poor Christians in Jerusalem.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't be ridiculous. The destruction of the temple in 70 A.D. in no way represents the rebuking of the devourer mentioned in Malachi. You make a mockery of God's word in saying this.

The reality is simple...that the scribes and Pharisees, while they gave a tenth of anise and cumin and other spices, neglected the weightier matters of the law...and this they should have done without leaving the other undone.

The temple was destroyed in 70 A.D. not because they tithed and this was the devourer coming against the reality of God's word...no.

The temple was destroyed because Israel did not recognize the time of her visitation.

You attempt to make the word of God null and void by your statements; and in doing so you are doing the work of the devil himself.
Maybe it would help if you payed closer attention to the scripture and less on what the hypocrites are pushing?
Never in all of scripture does God command anyone to give all there living, so ask yourself why did this woman "poor widow" only have two mites if all these large sums where being cast in, keeping in mind the levitical system was to care for the widow and the fatherless?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The scribes and Pharisees, who took over the temple were, as Jesus pointed out, children of the devil, not the children of Israel. As such they desecrated it.

good point. As He said to beware for they devour widows whose husband is dead(Romans 7:2-4) and receive the greater damnation.

Ezekiel 22:19,25-27 Therefore thus saith the Lord God ; Because ye are all become dross, behold, therefore I will gather you into the midst of Jerusalem. [25] There is a conspiracy of her prophets in the midst thereof, like a roaring lion ravening the prey; they have devoured souls; they have taken the treasure and precious things; they have made her many widows in the midst thereof. [26] Her priests have violated my law, and have profaned mine holy things: they have put no difference between the holy and profane, neither have they shewed difference between the unclean and the clean, and have hid their eyes from my sabbaths, and I am profaned among them. [27] Her princes in the midst thereof are like wolves ravening the prey, to shed blood, and to destroy souls, to get dishonest gain.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
good point. As He said to beware for they devour widows whose husband is dead(Romans 7:2-4) and receive the greater damnation.

Ezekiel 22:19,25-27 Therefore thus saith the Lord God ; Because ye are all become dross, behold, therefore I will gather you into the midst of Jerusalem. [25] There is a conspiracy of her prophets in the midst thereof, like a roaring lion ravening the prey; they have devoured souls; they have taken the treasure and precious things; they have made her many widows in the midst thereof. [26] Her priests have violated my law, and have profaned mine holy things: they have put no difference between the holy and profane, neither have they shewed difference between the unclean and the clean, and have hid their eyes from my sabbaths, and I am profaned among them. [27] Her princes in the midst thereof are like wolves ravening the prey, to shed blood, and to destroy souls, to get dishonest gain.
The tithe was an increase, blessing from God, given to Israel as Gods provision for the widow and fatherless, sad thing is it wasn't viewed as an opportunity for these selfish religious men to be given opportunity to bare fruit, and they couldn't because the Spirit has to be present in order to do so.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The tithe was an increase, blessing from God, given to Israel as Gods provision for the widow and fatherless, sad thing is it wasn't viewed as an opportunity for these selfish religious men to be given opportunity to bare fruit, and they couldn't because the Spirit has to be present in order to do so.

Makes me think of James 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Question is who are the fatherless and widows? 1 Corinthians 9:16 For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!

that ‘woe’ telling maybe in “I have nothing to glory of” ...And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. [2] For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. [3] And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.” 1 Corinthians 2:1-3

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Makes me think of James 1:27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Question is who are the fatherless and widows? 1 Corinthians 9:16 For though I preach the gospel, I have nothing to glory of: for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!

that ‘woe’ telling maybe in “I have nothing to glory of” ...And I, brethren, when I came to you, came not with excellency of speech or of wisdom, declaring unto you the testimony of God. [2] For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified. [3] And I was with you in weakness, and in fear, and in much trembling.” 1 Corinthians 2:1-3
We simply bring Jesus, and God gives the increase. Bare fruit.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In my early days as a Christian I used to put a small amount of cash into the collection plate as it was passed round on Sundays. Then we were asked to give a specific amount using gift envelopes and I did this for a while too.

When I changed churches they were big on tithing and I gave a tenth of my earning which was still only a small amount. Later as I earned more I increased my giving to more than ten per cent.

Even when my account went into the red I still gave the same amount but after being in the red for quite some time I prayed about it and God told me to increase my giving which as I said was already more than ten per cent of my earnings. I asked him how much and he told me so next month I gave the new amount and within two months - and I have no idea how - my account was well into the black.

So perhaps we should all be asking God how much to give.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I pay to the government about 50% of my annual income. This deals with earthly matters.

The modern "church" comes along side and says give us another 10 ???

The problem I have is conveying spiritual matters to those who can't even understand the obvious earthly.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so ask yourself why did this woman "poor widow" only have two mites if all these large sums where being cast in, keeping in mind the levitical system was to care for the widow and the fatherless?

If I’ve understood you correctly in what you have pointed out about the widow ...an example from the current would be the prosperity gospel and mega millionaires televising to those who have nothing hardly left and they are losing hope quick in this world. The mega millionaire sells a quick fix, if they will give even the last of what they have left (money)that God will miraculously heal that illness or clear that debt or save that family member and they too can increase their money and wealth. So they take the last of what they have, believing a lie and falsehoods sold to them while the mega millionaire flys his jet and continues the furtherance of a lie. Do we applaud then the mega millionaire or applaud the prospering and furthering of a lie? If I’ve understood you correctly, it isn’t saying God doesn't care for the sick or weak or fatherless or widows ...but hated the lie and said, see all this, it is coming down. One stone will not be left that is not overturned. As He fashioned a whip and overturned the money changers tables...

To applaud the widow would be like applauding those who give an offering to the mega millionaire preachers for empty promises. Being taken advantage of and used up for selfish gain. (Imo) if that is what we support then, maybe, we need to be telling it wide and far how good it is to give to the mega millionaire jet flyers.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I once read a parable or story of how the widow's penny went to the salvation of souls while the greater amounts given by Pharisees only went to the temple which ended up being destroyed. Her actual penny was used to pen a verse of scripture and that verse saved someone's soul.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe it would help if you payed closer attention to the scripture and less on what the hypocrites are pushing?
Never in all of scripture does God command anyone to give all there living, so ask yourself why did this woman "poor widow" only have two mites if all these large sums where being cast in, keeping in mind the levitical system was to care for the widow and the fatherless?
Beside the point.

The point being, that the temple was not destroyed after the people gave their tithes, contrary to God's promise that the devourer would not come. The temple was destroyed because Israel did not know the time of her visitation; for all you know the whole tithe was not brought into the storehouse from 40 A.D. to 70 A.D..

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I once read a parable or story of how the widow's penny went to the salvation of souls while the greater amounts given by Pharisees only went to the temple which ended up being destroyed. Her actual penny was used to pen a verse of scripture and that verse saved someone's soul.
Sounds like a real ear tickler, thanks for sharing.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The temple came down for a these reasons.

1. As in the wilderness for forty years unbelievers were not allow to go into the promise land. 70 AD would be approximately forty years from Jesus being put on the cross.
2. The scribes and Pharisees, who took over the temple were, as Jesus pointed out, children of the devil, not the children of Israel. As such they desecrated it.
3. Put a total end to the age of Law.

One can learn a lot by reading Flavius Josephus writings, The Wars of the Jews.
My opinion as to why the church in Jerusalem was starving was God's provocation to get clear of that area, because He knew full good and well what was about to go down.
This in a sense is provision if it can be seen?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But but tickling ears is fun. ;)
Most people's wallet is attached to their ears apparently this is what Jesus is showing us in Mark before He walks out and says I'm bringing it all down.

Mark 12:40 KJV
Which devour widows' houses, and for a pretence make long prayers: these shall receive greater damnation.

It's for a pretence or a show in order to receive money.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now in teaching that we ought to tithe, I am not speaking from the perspective of one who might be able to receive tithes; but I am speaking from the perspective of one who has tithed of my income and been blessed as a result.

I am saying it as a fellow believer; as one beggar telling another beggar where to find bread.

Clearly, scripture teaches that if we give, the Lord will bless us.

Luk 6:38, Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

Ecc 11:1, Cast thy bread upon the waters: for thou shalt find it after many days.

Ecc 11:6, In the morning sow thy seed, and in the evening withhold not thine hand: for thou knowest not whether shall prosper, either this or that, or whether they both shall be alike good.

2Co 9:6, But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
2Co 9:7, Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

Last edited:

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now in teaching that we ought to tithe, I am not speaking from the perspective of one who might be able to receive tithes; but I am speaking from the perspective of one who has tithed of my income and been blessed as a result.

I am saying it as a fellow believer; as one beggar telling another beggar where to find bread.

Clearly, scripture teaches that if we give, the Lord will bless us.

Luk 6:38, Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

Ecc 11:1, Cast thy bread upon the waters: for thou shalt find it after many days.

Ecc 11:6, In the morning sow thy seed, and in the evening withhold not thine hand: for thou knowest not whether shall prosper, either this or that, or whether they both shall be alike good.

2Co 9:6, But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.
2Co 9:7, Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.
Thanks for your honesty.

Reactions: Rocky Wiley