What are Your Feelings on Tithes

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and fwiw this kind of writing permeates Scripture imo, if a passage initially gives you one "feeling" then look for its polar opposite maybe, stuff like that. Contemplate "righteous" as "bad" even, "pious," maybe only sometimes, dunno. Esp in passages that dont make common sense

Why would Samson ever tell Delilah his secret? for instance, not meaning to derail
havent got that one yet though!
I believe it's what scripture referring to as casting down vain imagination,But what do I know.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Corinthians 10:5 KJV
Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

When I was younger I viewed this as those opposed to me, now it's viewed as I'm the problem.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why would Samson ever tell Delilah his secret? for instance, not meaning to derail
havent got that one yet though!
As written in Scripture: Do not give your strength to women/a woman....
Even Kings have lost their integrity to a woman.
Do not go down the path of the adulterous, dripping in desire to trap you in her snare .....

and so on, all through Scripture.

Note that those opposed to God are called in places in Scripture adulterous and harlots - and such they are, seeking to entrap everyone who falls into their lare/ snare/ trap/ planned a long time, ahead of time, to bring others down.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Corinthians 10:5 KJV
Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

When I was younger I viewed this as those opposed to me, now it's viewed as I'm the problem.
and Christ Jesus is the solution.

Do all things without murmurings and disputings:
That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke,

in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; Holding forth the word of life.
Philippians 2:14-16a | KJV

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I regard to Tithing , Jesus said “ these things you OUGHT to have done.” The Jews and Jews ONLY should have tithed, lest they be “ cursed” and NOT have their barns “ overflowing”, etc......Jesus was under Law and preached the Law to the fellow Jews that were also under that Old Covenant....Believe it or not, we are NOT a part of that Law ....
The Law DEMANDS Tithing to get a blessing .....Grace says that you have been already been blessed by what Christ did for you on the Cross......Now, What’s it Worth to you? That “ worth” will be determined by your Heart , as are ALL things under this Age Of Grace....God, in His Mercy and Kindness has even juiced things up a little bit.....the more you give, the more you get! The Old Testament man Of Faith got Earthly Blessings for showing Faith.The NEW Testament Man Of Faith gets Heavenly Blessings for showing Faith in His Giving.....
Percentages mean Nothing now— New Testament Believers gave 100%—-EVERYTHING! And they were EAGER to give it! Most of them got Nothing in the here-and-now.....many died broke in prison and later fed to lions.....So much for for Earthly Rewards!
BUT—— How do you think these Faithful Believers are making out now? If you said, “ they have now been rewarded with Unspeakable Treasure in Heaven”....... go to the head of the class....

I have to dsiagree with you when you say that Jesus was only speaking to Jews.

Tithing is not of the law....it predated the law with Melchizedec.

So when Jesus says, these you ought to have done (justice, mercy, and faith) without leaving the other undone (tithing); He is saying to all of us not to leave your tithing undone.

If you want to give 100% to the church then by all means do so.

But I think that we need the 90% to live on, personally, so God only requires 10% as an offering of faith.

But usually, the wallet is the last thing in a man's life to be converted...

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

So when Jesus says, these you ought to have done (justice, mercy, and faith) without leaving the other undone (tithing); He is saying to all of us not to leave your tithing undone.

But I think that we need the 90% to live on, personally, so God only requires 10% as an offering of faith.

Abraham didn't tithe of the increase on crops he tithed of the spoil.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Offerings - however generous - are the New Testament pattern; tithes are an Old Testament matter. I think you also made the analogy of taxes; in a sense, in Israel's theocracy tithes were the taxes.
Except that they were to be offered willingly...

While God said that in holding them back they were robbing Him.

Which we ought to take into account in our hashing out of these matters.

Because if these things apply today (and I believe that they may), then in holding back our tithes we also are robbing God.

That is not something that will be done by someone who loves Him over the fact that they are redeemed by Him.

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA

You know a lot of the bible, how is it you can't separate law and grace. God does not require us to give 10%, we give as we see fit.

Jesus was talking to those under law.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know a lot of the bible, how is it you can't separate law and grace. God does not require us to give 10%, we give as we see fit.

Jesus was talking to those under law.

Tithing predated the law.

And Jesus' words apply to all of us (see Hebrews 1:1-2).