What are your thoughts on this section of scripture (Luke 9)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus Sends Out the Twelve

9 When Jesus had called the Twelve together, he gave them power and authority to drive out all demons and to cure diseases,2 and he sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal the sick. 3 He told them: “Take nothing for the journey—no staff, no bag, no bread, no money, no extra shirt. 4 Whatever house you enter, stay there until you leave that town. 5 If people do not welcome you, leave their town and shake the dust off your feet as a testimony against them.” 6 So they set out and went from village to village, proclaiming the good news and healing people everywhere.

7 Now Herod the tetrarch heard about all that was going on. And he was perplexed because some were saying that John had been raised from the dead, 8 others that Elijah had appeared, and still others that one of the prophets of long ago had come back to life.9 But Herod said, “I beheaded John. Who, then, is this I hear such things about?” And he tried to see him.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

9 When Jesus had called the Twelve together, he gave them power and authority to drive out all demons and to cure diseases,2 and he sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to heal the sick. 3 He told them: “Take nothing for the journey—no staff, no bag, no bread, no money, no extra shirt. 4 Whatever house you enter, stay there until you leave that town. 5 If people do not welcome you, leave their town and shake the dust off your feet as a testimony against them.” 6 So they set out and went from village to village, proclaiming the good news and healing people everywhere.

7 Now Herod the tetrarch heard about all that was going on. And he was perplexed because some were saying that John had been raised from the dead, 8 others that Elijah had appeared, and still others that one of the prophets of long ago had come back to life.9 But Herod said, “I beheaded John. Who, then, is this I hear such things about?” And he tried to see him.
At a onceover read, I see in the first 6 verses, "the great commission". As far a them not taking anything other than the clothes on their backs..."a workman is worthy of his wages"? Shaking off the dust of course means the gospel was rejected and move on.

Second part, seems Herod was curious about Jesus because of all His works? Afraid his own power would be usurped?

Reactions: MatthewG

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

They also worked for their food when they went to a house. Not being paid clergy.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I'm not sure why you included verses 7-9.

Verses 1-6 are a shadow of those sent and the building of the Church during the church age, while verses 7-9 are a segue leading to who it is that people said Jesus was, and who He actually is.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus was training his apostles for their future assignment, which is still going on, it will end when Jehovah brings this system to its close Matt. Mat 24:14 We are very close in our fulfillment of that prophecy.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You must be talking about the end of that age, into the new spiritual age which people are justified by faith in Christ Robert, thank you for sharing.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At a onceover read, I see in the first 6 verses, "the great commission". As far a them not taking anything other than the clothes on their backs..."a workman is worthy of his wages"? Shaking off the dust of course means the gospel was rejected and move on.

Second part, seems Herod was curious about Jesus because of all His works? Afraid his own power would be usurped?

Those are some great insights, Nancy! Thank you for sharing these with everyone.

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Seems Herod and Pilate was concerned about power authority also. neither found him guilty and then they became friends interesting part.