What books are you currently reading?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was thinking last night about what to read next, if I should happen to survive Origen. I’ll make this a candidate.

Dr Nyland-- a woman you can trust.... 'She spent her time on Faculty at the University of New England, Australia, teaching ancient grammar, conducting a lengthy replication of a Bronze Age horse training text, and drinking espresso.'

• Haha
Reactions: Matthias

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I had planned to read Origen’s Against Celsus and then Clement of Alexandria’s The Instructor after completing On First Principles. Change of plan. One can read only so much Origen before shouting madly in the wind.*

Having now finished reading On First Principles, I’ve decided to read something to clear my mind. To that end, I’m currently reading Jesus and the Nonviolent Revolution, written by Andre Trocme.

* I’ll return to Origen sometime after a much-needed - nay, necessary (for my sanity and blood pressure) - break.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am reading Smith Wigglesworth audio books…

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Inspired / influenced by @Mr E, and not yet ready to return to Origen (nor to Clement of Alexandria), I’m currently reading The Book of Enoch. I’ve previously read this work only in part, as assigned by professors when I was a student.

Reactions: Mr E

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
many books I am into reading today

Welcome to the forums.

What kind of books are you reading? My main interest is theology, but I read on other subjects too.

What book(s) are you reading at the moment?

Please feel free to make book recommendations for others in this thread.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Inspired / influenced by @Mr E, and not yet ready to return to Origen (nor to Clement of Alexandria), I’m currently reading The Book of Enoch. I’ve previously read this work only in part, as assigned by professors when I was a student.

Let me know when you get to/through the dream/visions beginning in about Ch 84 (LXXXIV) -maybe I will spin out a thread.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Let me know when you get to/through the dream/visions beginning in about Ch 84 (LXXXIV) -maybe I will spin out a thread.

I should be there soon. I’ve read up to Chapter LX. As you know, the chapters are quite short. Unless something unexpected comes up, I should reach the dream/visions chapters this evening.

Reactions: Mr E

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Finished reading The Book of Enoch. It was an oversight on my part that it wasn’t on my reading list.

I’m currently reading Red Pill Gospel, written by Forrest Maready.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I really enjoyed reading Red Pill Gospel. Consequently, it has resulted in a further delay getting back to the duo of Origen and Clement of Alexandria.

I’m currently reading Life, Death and Destiny, written by Warren Prestidge. (A Baptist pastor writing, affirmatively, on the subject of conditional immortality.)

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Well, they didn’t teach me that (conditional immortality) in the Baptist Church. I wish they had. I came to the doctrine on my own later.

I’m currently (re)reading The Problem of Christ in the Twentieth Century: An Essay on the Incarnation, written by W.R. Matthews (an Anglican priest / theologian).

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’m now reading Against Hierocles, written by Eusebius of Caesarea.

I don’t know anything about it; selected it at random.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Now I know what it’s about. (The reviled Jesus is the real deal; the heralded Apollonious of Tyana is demonstrated to be nothing but “a wizard.”)

I’m currently reading Rise of the Fourth Reich: Confronting COVID Fascism with a New Nuremberg Trial, So This Never Happens Again, written by Steve Deace and Daniel Horowitz.