What books had the most impact in your life ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here are my top 10 off the top of my head that greatly impacted my life

1) The Pursuit of God by AW Tozer
2) The Knowledge of the Holy by AW Tozer
3) Knowing God by Packer
4) The Cost of Discipleship by Bonhoeffer
5) How to read the Bible for all its worth by Fee and Stuart
6) The Gospel according to Jesus by MacArthur
7) Pilgrims Progress by Bunyan
8) Fox's Book of Martyrs by Fox
9) Kingdom of the Cults by Martin
10) Evidence that demands a verdict by McDowell

What are your favorites ?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
(Apart from the Bible, of course...)

There include:

William Cunningham's Historical Theology.

Writings/hymns of J N Darby

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(Apart from the Bible, of course...)

There include:

William Cunningham's Historical Theology.

Writings/hymns of J N Darby
Yes I love the old hymns some deep theology and spiritual blessing in reading and mediating on them. Thanks for sharing !

Reactions: farouk

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Pearl Sounds like you're a reader....

I would find it hard to narrow down to 10, anyway... The Cunningham book I mentioned does have a lot of useful information on who believed what when.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl Sounds like you're a reader....

I would find it hard to narrow down to 10, anyway... The Cunningham book I mentioned does have a lot of useful information on who believed what when.
These are the ones that came to mind but a have a bookcase shelf double filled with Christian books from over forty years as a Christian.

Reactions: farouk

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He Came To Set The Captives Free, Brown
Demons: An Eyewitness Account, Pittman
Battling The Hosts Of Hell, Worley
A Divine Revelation Of Hell, Baxter
The Harvest, Joyner
Final Quest & The Call, Joyner
The Heavens Opened, Rountree
TranceFormation Of America, Phillips & O'Brien
The Hidden Power Of Prayer and Fasting, Chavda
New World Order: The Ancient Plan Of Secret Societies, Still

The list would be entirely different on the scholarship end, but that would be my Top 10 most influential as a reading list (maybe. Probably forgetting something).

Reactions: Pearl

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1-Some great books written on the Resurrection are by Habermas and Lincona, McDowell, Kendall, Strobel, Dalferth
2-On the Deity of Christ are Chemnitz, Harris, Hurtado, Morgan & Peterson, Berkouwer, Murphy, Polythress, Bowman & Komoszewski, Bauckman, Cole, Clark & Johnson, Ware, MacArthur to name a few.
3- On the Trinity- Morey, Letham, white, Ware, Kostenberger, Swain, Ryken, Lefebvre,

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here are my top 10 off the top of my head that greatly impacted my life

1) The Pursuit of God by AW Tozer
2) The Knowledge of the Holy by AW Tozer
3) Knowing God by Packer
4) The Cost of Discipleship by Bonhoeffer
5) How to read the Bible for all its worth by Fee and Stuart
6) The Gospel according to Jesus by MacArthur
7) Pilgrims Progress by Bunyan
8) Fox's Book of Martyrs by Fox
9) Kingdom of the Cults by Martin
10) Evidence that demands a verdict by McDowell

What are your favorites ?

Good thread. You asked: what books had the most impact in your life? Mine would be the Twilight Series about vampires. You asked ‘the most impact’. I grew up with this lie planted that I could not read. Reading was something I never saw myself doing even a little and especially never saw it becoming a passion. In my forties I watched the first Twilight movie (I realize this sounds pointless but not to me) and was moved for the first time to get the rest of the books in the series instead of waiting on the movies to come out. Wanting to know what happened pushed me to crack open a book and do something I had never approached before. After that it didn’t end...the library became one of my favorite places. Stacks upon stacks of books; not only novels but so many topics. There is so much more that happened but to keep this short I fell into a very dark place, reading and writing about dark things that nearly consumed me. But even then, looking back now, I think it was God who allowed me to walk in that library. Where something began that led to the day ...about four years ago I would pick up His word really for the first time ever and actually read it. He helped me out of that dark place I had slipped into. It reminds me of parents who watch their children struggle to find their way, sometimes using degrees or things taught, being misguided at first until they learn what not to do. I don’t have a lot of well know authors or teachers that made an impact ...except what led into a dark place and the impact His word would make in hearing a message I had never heard before. Never heard anything before in any of the rest of the books I had carried out of the library, like what I heard in His word.

Last edited: