What did Jesus say about our diversity, in the beginning? "I did not tell you [you were diverse] before, because I was with you"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi there,

Background

So what has become apparent to me, after reading the thread "Why are you a Christian?" that we all have a diverse opinion, of Christ and His saving grace. It has also become apparent to me, in part after reading the thread "Would you surrender your own beliefs, for doctrinal unity?", that this diversity is a problem, for the growth of the Church as a whole. But what did Jesus say about it?

Diversity and Jesus

Jesus said "I want you to remember at the appropriate time, what I have told you - I did not tell you earlier, because I was (already) with you" (John 16:4). In other words, Jesus was there in the beginning, so our diversity was not a problem: we all related to Jesus in different ways, and He could cope (because God had made Him able to cope). That begs the question, what happens now that Jesus has departed? Who is the faithful servant who keeps his Master's Household, while his Master is away?

Trusting Diversity

Part of the answer, is simply remembering that diversity was not a problem for Jesus, in the beginning - we are able to cope ourselves, if we trust His work in Us. We also know that the end does not come immediately (gospels, from memory), so there is time for our faith, to transition to an understanding of diversity, that we did not have previously. Part of that understanding, is that we share our fruit. As Jesus said "you shall know them by their fruits" (gospels, from memory), in other words what manner of fruit they develop between remaining at the beginning and approaching the end, will tell you if their faith is (in this context) too diverse, not accommodating the Lord (enough). Does this empower our diversity though?

Power in Diversity

Certainly sharing the right kind of fruit, will empower our diversity! We must be diligent not to give away what we have, to those that have no faith (pearls before swine and all that - gospels, from memory), but it is no good waiting to develop the perfect fruit, as the fig tree that grew no fruit learned when Jesus spoke a word of conviction over it and it died (gospels, from memory). We must be ready to share what we have! That is the faith, that Jesus cultivated at the crowd that needed bread (gospels, from memory), He did not say "Now, eat this particular kind of bread", but what? "Here is bread I am able to provide, share amongst yourselves what you have brought as well" (for those that miss the point of this, I'm talking about Jesus sharing bread with a crowd, that needed to share bread - I'm not talking about Jesus creating bread out of the 'ether', as some interpretations have it) That is, Jesus shared His fruit (of generosity) with the crowd that had 'faith', but many different kinds of faith. Do then we share bread?

Diversity and More

That is really the crux of the conversation we are having here: metaphorically we all have bread in Jesus, that nourishes our fruit. When we thinking of sharing fruit, it is a question of what we can grow, while we are sharing bread with others. It requires a certain selflessness, diligence and understanding - selflessness because our own bread is not for us alone; diligence because our neighbour's fruit and our own will make it possible to share; and understanding because the best fruit, for the most lasting bread, as reflects the beginning the best, still comes from Jesus. Jesus is the One that knew where He was, what for and when - we have his bread, his fruit and his faith. This is the power of Union! Can we receive more greatly than that?

Guilt and Diversity

Receiving greatly is indeed, enticing, but more importantly than that, it deals with the guilt, that we have diversified, in ways that do not bring glory to the Lord. There is room for confession here, primarily because we want to get to a state where we know, even as we are known (1 Corinthians 13:12) and if all we do is remain "diverse" then the power of that knowing cannot be reached. So we have an incentive to let others know what manner of diversity we have, the fruit of it and also the knowing of the fruit. If we share bread in this sense, then the Lord has become a part of all our lives and our fruit will come to reflect the bond of union, that we have amongst ourselves. That is a great thing! But am I confessing that we should do away with our diversity?

Transitioning Diversity

I think what I am confessing is that our diversity, needs to transition, to a more fruitful state. As Jesus said "you shall go and bear much fruit and your fruit shall remain" (John, from memory) in other words, our diversity in the beginning, was not fruit that would remain. That is what we want: fruit that remains. We only get fruit that remains, when we share fruit with others, the same bread and the same fruit. Indeed we will only have the same fruit and the same bread, if we work at it! Inclusion is key, since every good fruit that is borne for the Kingdom of God, is welcome. Which fruit is best, will be decided at the Great White Throne Judgment, but we have many days of good bread, before then! Perhaps the best thing we can do then, is pray for Unity?

I hope this thread has been of some encouragement to you.

God bless.

Last edited:

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I made it simpler with subtitles.
Hi there,

Background

Diversity and Jesus

Trusting Diversity

Power in Diversity

Diversity and More

Guilt and Diversity

Transitioning Diversity

[...]

God bless.
The difficulty was in getting from "Diversity and Jesus" to "Transitioning Diversity".

(and I'm not sure I emphasized Transitioning Diversity enough)

The point is "diversity is nothing new" but "diversity is also an opportunity for something great"

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi there,

Background

So what has become apparent to me, after reading the thread "Why are you a Christian?" that we all have a diverse opinion, of Christ and His saving grace. It has also become apparent to me, in part after reading the thread "Would you surrender your own beliefs, for doctrinal unity?", that this diversity is a problem, for the growth of the Church as a whole. But what did Jesus say about it?

Diversity and Jesus

Jesus said "I want you to remember at the appropriate time, what I have told you - I did not tell you earlier, because I was (already) with you" (John 16:4). In other words, Jesus was there in the beginning, so our diversity was not a problem: we all related to Jesus in different ways, and He could cope (because God had made Him able to cope). That begs the question, what happens now that Jesus has departed? Who is the faithful servant who keeps his Master's Household, while his Master is away?

Trusting Diversity

Part of the answer, is simply remembering that diversity was not a problem for Jesus, in the beginning - we are able to cope ourselves, if we trust His work in Us. We also know that the end does not come immediately (gospels, from memory), so there is time for our faith, to transition to an understanding of diversity, that we did not have previously. Part of that understanding, is that we share our fruit. As Jesus said "you shall know them by their fruits" (gospels, from memory), in other words what manner of fruit they develop between remaining at the beginning and approaching the end, will tell you if their faith is (in this context) too diverse, not accommodating the Lord (enough). Does this empower our diversity though?

Power in Diversity

Certainly sharing the right kind of fruit, will empower our diversity! We must be diligent not to give away what we have, to those that have no faith (pearls before swine and all that - gospels, from memory), but it is no good waiting to develop the perfect fruit, as the fig tree that grew no fruit learned when Jesus spoke a word of conviction over it and it died (gospels, from memory). We must be ready to share what we have! That is the faith, that Jesus cultivated at the crowd that needed bread (gospels, from memory), He did not say "Now, eat this particular kind of bread", but what? "Here is bread I am able to provide, share amongst yourselves what you have brought as well" (for those that miss the point of this, I'm talking about Jesus sharing bread with a crowd, that needed to share bread - I'm not talking about Jesus creating bread out of the 'ether', as some interpretations have it) That is, Jesus shared His fruit (of generosity) with the crowd that had 'faith', but many different kinds of faith. Do then we share bread?

Diversity and More

That is really the crux of the conversation we are having here: metaphorically we all have bread in Jesus, that nourishes our fruit. When we thinking of sharing fruit, it is a question of what we can grow, while we are sharing bread with others. It requires a certain selflessness, diligence and understanding - selflessness because our own bread is not for us alone; diligence because our neighbour's fruit and our own will make it possible to share; and understanding because the best fruit, for the most lasting bread, as reflects the beginning the best, still comes from Jesus. Jesus is the One that knew where He was, what for and when - we have his bread, his fruit and his faith. This is the power of Union! Can we receive more greatly than that?

Guilt and Diversity

Receiving greatly is indeed, enticing, but more importantly than that, it deals with the guilt, that we have diversified, in ways that do not bring glory to the Lord. There is room for confession here, primarily because we want to get to a state where we know, even as we are known (1 Corinthians 13:12) and if all we do is remain "diverse" then the power of that knowing cannot be reached. So we have an incentive to let others know what manner of diversity we have, the fruit of it and also the knowing of the fruit. If we share bread in this sense, then the Lord has become a part of all our lives and our fruit will come to reflect the bond of union, that we have amongst ourselves. That is a great thing! But am I confessing that we should do away with our diversity?

Transitioning Diversity

I think what I am confessing is that our diversity, needs to transition, to a more fruitful state. As Jesus said "you shall go and bear much fruit and your fruit shall remain" (John, from memory) in other words, our diversity in the beginning, was not fruit that would remain. That is what we want: fruit that remains. We only get fruit that remains, when we share fruit with others, the same bread and the same fruit. Indeed we will only have the same fruit and the same bread, if we work at it! Inclusion is key, since every good fruit that is borne for the Kingdom of God, is welcome. Which fruit is best, will be decided at the Great White Throne Judgment, but we have many days of good bread, before then! Perhaps the best thing we can do then, is pray for Unity?

God bless.
In this day and age, "diversity" seems to mean "ignore what God said about homosexuality," so every time I see the word "diversity," a troubled feeling comes over me.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
this diversity is a problem
I reject this observation while I agree it is a perceived problem. I reject it based on what you write below.
But what did Jesus say about it?

Diversity and Jesus

Jesus said "I want you to remember at the appropriate time, what I have told you - I did not tell you earlier, because I was (already) with you" (John 16:4). In other words, Jesus was there in the beginning, so our diversity was not a problem: we all related to Jesus in different ways, and He could cope (because God had made Him able to cope).
And one other point. Legalists turn doctrine into IDOLATRY.

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I reject this observation while I agree it is a perceived problem. I reject it based on what you write below.

And one other point. Legalists turn doctrine into IDOLATRY.
I'm not sure what I have done wrong, but introduce a little subtext, to the debate.

Subtext nourishes interpretation, it should be embraced? I don't want to idolize Jesus, when I could be doing His work - but if I focus on Jesus in a way that makes me ready for work, surely that is a good thing?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not sure what I have done wrong, but introduce a little subtext, to the debate.

Subtext nourishes interpretation, it should be embraced? I don't want to idolize Jesus, when I could be doing His work - but if I focus on Jesus in a way that makes me ready for work, surely that is a good thing?
You didn't do anything wrong. Just identified something as a problem that isn't. :)

It is surely a good thing for you to be ready to focus on Jesus and do the Lord's work. :)

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You didn't do anything wrong. Just identified something as a problem that isn't. :)
The old diversity, was incomplete. If incompleteness isn't a problem, for you, then sure, ignore what I said.

It is surely a good thing for you to be ready to focus on Jesus and do the Lord's work. :)
Thankyou for saying so.