What Do We Seek?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

hldude33

Apr 28, 2010
YouTube Channel Video Devo

“What Do We Seek?”
Matthew 6:33
NIV- But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
NLT- Seek the Kingdom above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.

I’ve often found that when I seek something in my life and focus on it for any certain amount of time, I catch myself tending to focus a little too much on whatever it is and expecting fulfillment. There’s nothing at all wrong with searching for certain things and looking forward to having experiences and possessions, but far too often, these things become and end in themselves. Instead of us enjoying what God has given to us, we often make these things idols.

I have to constantly remind myself why I chase after the things I do. I often find myself trying to chase after things because I think they will fulfill my needs. If I just have this, I’ll be happy. If I just achieve this, I’ll be content. If I just get that job that pays a little better, then I’ll have what I need. The list can go on and on. I’m never satisfied. It’s never enough if I constantly keep chasing after things.

A week ago Sunday, our pastor preached on contentment and I was reminded again of Paul’s experience of how he learned how to be content, no matter what. He finally learned to seek after God and be content, no matter what.

What do we seek in our lives? What are we chasing after? What’s next? What more do we need? When will enough be enough? We often seem to be like dogs chasing their tails around and around and around chasing after the next great thing the world offers.

Friends, it’s okay to long for certain things and want to have them. What we have to be careful of is letting those things be the end fulfillment instead of enjoying what God has given to us. He tells us to seek His Kingdom above all else. Do we really do that? Are we really seeking Him? He has promised to give us everything we need, but we still find ourselves chasing after what the world offers, somehow becoming convinced these offers are the answer to our problems.

We must never forget that seeking after God ONLY is the answer to our problems. He will supply every need. He will provide. The world only leaves us with a constant hunger and thirst that will drive us into despair. The hunger and thirst we have when we seek God just drives us to wanting more and more of Him and that will keep us totally alive!

What do we seek? Him or the world?

Reactions: dadman