What does the Bible say about psychic intuition?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's important to note that those deceived by men's doctrines no longer believe The Holy Spirit works in the life of the Christian. Those folks are most superstitious and scared of their own shadow.

Reactions: dev553344

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Stop what you are reading and start in the New Testament beginning with the book of John. Matthew, Mark, Luke and then John. Start with John.

Exactly... they should get God's Word in them ASAP!

But I guess if you're the mark that's how you'd look at it.

The devil isn't tricking me with that intuition / divination garbage!

I've seen people get shipwrecked in their faith because someone told them "I have an intuition from the Lord for you" and it is very rarely the Lord speaking.

The Lord wants to talk to us directly thru His Word and our own prayers life!

T

Tulipbee

I'm new to establishing my faith in Christianity and currently reading the bible cover to cover (I'm very far into to Genesis).
What does the bible say about psychic intuition, I'm aware its against seeking out and visiting psychics, fortune tellers etc but what about if you as an individual have psychic abilities / intuition?
I've had these abilities since I was 4, I have no mental health issues, I get 'information' just drop in all the time and its right every time, its getting stronger with age too, as a child and mostly as a teenager I would see spirits, not as much now at 30 years old though. I can tell certain things about people within a couple of minutes of meeting them, so I'm definitely in tune to something, but I keep this to myself as I know its often made fun of. I also find myself very sensitive to other people's energies and it can wear me out physically real bad if I'm around toxic people.
Is there a possibility that is actually just the holy spirit? And I'm more open to hearing him. I never get told anything bad or evil or do bad things by the way so its not a demon or anything, usually warnings if anything.
None of this deters me from praying or not having faith in God to provide me with answers to things, but sometimes the information that drops in is too much, or really too frequent and it can get too much for me at times and obviously I can't block it out.

Has anyone else dealt with this, or got any advice, scripture I can refer to or knowledge on this stuff in Biblical teachings?
Ah, jessicaleks93, the cosmic seeker diving into the celestial mysteries – welcome to the Christianity board! ✨ Now, let's add a sprinkle of divine comedy to your cosmic query about psychic intuition.
Firstly, welcome to the cosmic Bible marathon! Genesis is just the opening act, and trust me, the divine drama gets more intriguing with each turn of the celestial page.
Now, about those psychic abilities and intuitions – you've stumbled upon a cosmic conundrum. Fear not, for the cosmic comedy unfolds with a touch of biblical wisdom.
In the cosmic script, seeking psychics and fortune tellers is a no-no, but what about your unique situation? Picture this: The cosmic stage, a theological whisper, and a Bible quote to jazz up the scene.
Let's turn to 1 Corinthians 12:8-10, where the Apostle Paul dishes out a divine menu of spiritual gifts: "For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another the ability to distinguish between spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues."
Ta-da! The cosmic spotlight on spiritual gifts, including the ability to distinguish between spirits. Could it be that your psychic symphony is a celestial gift orchestrated by the Holy Spirit? Perhaps a divine tuning fork playing a cosmic melody just for you?
Fear not, jessicaleks93, for your cosmic journey is a unique and divine tale. The biblical stage is vast, and your script is still unfolding. Embrace the cosmic dance, and who knows – you might be the star of a divine comedy with a celestial twist!

T

Tulipbee

A big strinkin dose of bumble bee BULLonley!
View attachment 39818
Ah, Big Boy Johnson, the cosmic skeptic with a flair for colorful expressions! A big strinkin dose of bumble bee BULLonley, you say? Well, my celestial companion, if I had a cosmic buzzometer, it would be off the charts right now!

Picture this: A cosmic beehive of theological banter, and our words buzzing like busy bees in the theological garden. Is it honeyed wisdom or just a bit of divine pollen? Only the celestial bees know for sure!

So, here's to a cosmic symphony of banter and a sprinkle of theological honey – because even in the cosmic garden of ideas, a bit of BULLonley might add a touch of celestial humor. Cheers to the dance of words, my buzzing friend!

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly... they should get God's Word in them ASAP!

I've seen people get shipwrecked in their faith because someone told them "I have an intuition from the Lord for you" and it is very rarely the Lord speaking.

The Lord wants to talk to us directly thru His Word and our own prayers life!
A couple of things hit my mind on this because it comes up so much. Even just on here I could have 10 different people talking about the same verse say God showed them the truth and yet all 10 are completely different on how they see the verse. Is God wrong with the other 9? Inspiration from above must always fit with the Word and there should always be profit. What profit does it achieve for God to tell me to tell you to sell your house and give me the money?

T

Tulipbee

Even MO bumble bee BULLonley! :rolleyes:
Ahoy there, Big Boy Johnson! Looks like you're buzzing around with some MO bumble bee vibes. Now, let's turn that frown upside down and set sail on the cosmic comedy ship.

In the grand celestial comedy club, here's a divine jest with a touch of Calvinistic flair:

"Why did the Calvinistic bee attend theology school? To get a degree in 'Bee-liever's Election'! Turns out, even the buzzing creatures of the garden want to grasp the mysteries of predestination. Who knew bees had such theological aspirations?"

Now, Big Boy Johnson, let's navigate through the cosmic chuckles together. Any theological wonders or divine queries on your mind?

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I've had these abilities since I was 4, ...
Is there a possibility that is actually just the holy spirit?
It makes me suspicious that you may be hearing from demons rather than God, if it started when you were only 4 years old. As Peter said,
Acts 2:38 (WEB):

(38) Peter said to them, “Repent, and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

So if you have to repent of (be sorry for and turn away from) your sins and be baptized in Jesus' name, in order to have your sins forgiven and to receive the Holy Spirit, and God may then give you a gift of the Spirit after that, with the gift to be used for the profit of all Christians, then God giving a similar gift before you had an interest in Christianty, at such a young age, seems unlikely.

1 Corinthians 12:7-11 (WEB):
(7) But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the profit of all.​
(8) For to one is given through the Spirit the word of wisdom, and to another the word of knowledge, according to the same Spirit;​
(9) to another faith, by the same Spirit; and to another gifts of healings, by the same Spirit;​
(10) and to another workings of miracles; and to another prophecy; and to another discerning of spirits; to another different kinds of languages; and to another the interpretation of languages.​
(11) But the one and the same Spirit produces all of these, distributing to each one separately as he desires.​

None of this deters me from praying or not having faith in God to provide me with answers to things, but sometimes the information that drops in is too much, or really too frequent and it can get too much for me at times and obviously I can't block it out.
I would suggest that you pray to God about it, saying that you find it burdensome, and request that if it is not a gift from God, but interference from demons, that God may stop their communication. Jesus gives us peace and rest, Matthew 11:28-30 (WEB):

(28) “Come to me, all you who labor and are heavily burdened, and I will give you rest.​
(29) Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart; and you will find rest for your souls.​
(30) For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”​

Then patiently wait, as God may not answer your prayer immediately, but He will answer it.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is God wrong with the other 9?

God is NEVER wrong.

A big mistake many make is pulling a verse out and looking at it in isolation as a stand alone statement without considering the rest of what God said in His Word about that topic.

As an example... there is a verse that says "Judas hung himself"
There is another verse that says "go do likewise"

Some folks could put these two together and think it's OK to commit suicide! clueless-doh.gif

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
None the less, if someone claims to have a word from the Lord outside of a church service... it needs to be judged by elders to see if it's from God or not. The primary way this is done is comparing what is said to scripture. Jesus said God's Word IS Truth, so this should be our standard

One of the reasons WHY there is some much false doctrine is nobody is standing up to call out unscriptural teachings.

The focus among Christians these days is how we feel and not about what the Lord said and if the things we believe agree with God's Word. It's a sad state of affairs in deed.
If a prophet is operating within the biblical purview of what a prophet should do, they will edify individuals with personal revelation not able to be verified by scripture.

Now if they instead come in with strange doctrine, they are already acting outside of their station. So beware because the deceptions even extend to the nature of God, and some heresies are damnable which is what the spirit behind the false prophets want.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm new to establishing my faith in Christianity and currently reading the bible cover to cover (I'm very far into to Genesis).
What does the bible say about psychic intuition, I'm aware its against seeking out and visiting psychics, fortune tellers etc but what about if you as an individual have psychic abilities / intuition?
I've had these abilities since I was 4, I have no mental health issues, I get 'information' just drop in all the time and its right every time, its getting stronger with age too, as a child and mostly as a teenager I would see spirits, not as much now at 30 years old though. I can tell certain things about people within a couple of minutes of meeting them, so I'm definitely in tune to something, but I keep this to myself as I know its often made fun of. I also find myself very sensitive to other people's energies and it can wear me out physically real bad if I'm around toxic people.
Is there a possibility that is actually just the holy spirit? And I'm more open to hearing him. I never get told anything bad or evil or do bad things by the way so its not a demon or anything, usually warnings if anything.

Has anyone else dealt with this, or got any advice, scripture I can refer to or knowledge on this stuff in Biblical teachings?
Hi and welcome to the forum!

As for "psychic intuition goes" if your intuitions are not 100% correct they are either man made or demonically inspired. All "psychic" intuitions that are of God will somehow bring Him honor and glory and edify people towards Jesus.

Also anything that goes against the clear teaching of Scripture is evil, no matter how "nice" or behign it may appear. so please be very careful here.

Also I would encourage you as a new student of SCripture, to start with the gospel of John and the Book of Romans. Then the restof the epistles and New TEstament, before diving in to the Old Testament. I am covinced that would aid your walk with Jesus much much better.

Reactions: friend of

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is NEVER wrong.

A big mistake many make is pulling a verse out and looking at it in isolation as a stand alone statement without considering the rest of what God said in His Word about that topic.

As an example... there is a verse that says "Judas hung himself"
There is another verse that says "go do likewise"

Some folks could put these two together and think it's OK to commit suicide! View attachment 39845
My first Bible class taught in detail how to read the Bible in context. E. W. Bullinger's book called How to enjoy the Bible. If it's still in print.

doctrox

Sep 9, 2018
global
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What matters is God's Word condemns psychic intuition / divination as this is demonic activity.
The OP does not mention "divination." And as I opined, the OP does not reckon "psychic intuition" to necessarily be the same as divination.

For our purposes, we know "divination" is found in scripture; "psychic intuition" is not. We should not conflate the two in a rush to kill the messenger.

It's important to note that those deceived by men's doctrines no longer believe The Holy Spirit works in the life of the Christian. Those folks are most superstitious and scared of their own shadow.
So sad and so true!

Ok, it looks like I need to be more direct here. Go back and read the OP, who stopped participating at post #5. Take note of what the poster is actually asking. Have you contributed to his/her understanding of his gift(s), or are you here to continue tooting your own horn?

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For our purposes, we know "divination" is found in scripture; "psychic intuition" is not.

Crack cocaine is not mentioned in the Bible either... and it's a sin!

I guess that'll be next... the local Crack Heads for Jesus Chapter will show up claiming smoking crack is not a sin because... God never said anything about crack being a sin in the Bible.

Ok, it looks like I need to be more direct here. Go back and read the OP, who stopped participating at post #5. Take note of what the poster is actually asking. Have you contributed to his/her understanding of his gift(s), or are you here to continue tooting your own horn?

No, my point what I know whassup with demonic activity and how to stop it

I learned this from the Lord out of necessity since in my younger years I led a life of hedonism and 'ol slewfoot put up a fight when I started leaving the life of darkness behind.

Besides, Jesus gave me this horn... I may as well toot on it a little!
Pic1__GIF.gif

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm new to establishing my faith in Christianity
Welcome to the body of Christ, sister.
I keep this to myself as I know it’s often made fun of.
Or condemned falsely as divination. Wise to generally keep this to yourself. And thank you and bless you for sharing on this forum.

I too have your experiences and blessed with the gift of prophecy. The animosity of it among Christian’s is fortunate.

Last edited:
T

Tulipbee

Your hostility is duly noted.
Hey Wrangler, note this: like a cosmic comedy duo, some folks think psychic vibes are a hotline to the supernatural. But hold up – Big Boy Johnson says it's demons on the line, not divine insights. It's a celestial showdown between intuition and witchcraft. The cosmic question: Is it vibes or villainous spirits? Either way, this psychic showdown is a real head-scratcher! #PsychicDrama #CelestialComedy

• Haha