What does the word faith mean

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the New Testament “faith” is most often translated from the Greek noun pistis (#4102 πίστις), which like many other Greek words has several meanings including “trust” Romans 3:38, 1 Corintians 15:14, “faithfulness and reliability” (Proverbs 12:22, Matthew 23:23, Romans 3:3, Galatians 5:22, and “proof and pledge” (Acts 17:31). Also we find pistis in the New Testament and later Christian writings being used as a designation for the entire scope of religious practices and beliefs of the followers of Jesus as in “the Christian Faith” (Galatians 1:23). “Faithfulness” and “trust” were both very common meanings of pistis and that is why it was also used in the everyday Greek-speaking world. However, pistis in the New Testament means “trust” much more than it does “faithfulness” and when pistis is translated “faith” in phrases like “faith in God” or “faith in Christ” or “have faith” it means “trust” or “confidence” or “assurance.”The early Christians would have readily perceived the meaning of pistis as “trust” or “confidence” and that meaning can be easily confirmed by checking any good biblical lexicon or Bible dictionary such as the following...

• “With the predominant idea of trust (or confidence)” (Thayer’s Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament).
  • “Firm persuasion, a conviction based upon hearing” (Vine’s Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words).
  • “Firm persuasion” (A Critical Lexicon and Concordance to the English and Greek New Testament by E.W. Bullinger).
  • “State of believing on the basis of the reliability of the one trusted; trust, confidence” (A Greek English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature, W. Arndt and Wilber Gingrich, 2000; usually abbreviated “BDAG”).
  • “It is the attitude of complete trust in Christ...” (The New Bible Dictionary).
  • “In the New Testament, ‘faith’ is used in a number of ways, but primarily with the meaning ‘trust’ or ‘confidence’ in God” (Hollman Bible Dictionary).
We read in Hebrews 11:1 “Now faith [pistis] is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see” (NIV). The NASB uses slightly different vocabulary but gives the same message which is “Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.” So the Bible itself defines pistis as assurance or confidence in something and a good way to express that in English is by the word “trust.” Faith has been defined and explained so many different ways that it's a difficult concept to grasp, but “trust” is simple to understand. The lexical sources listed above defined it when they defined pistis as a confidence, a firm persuasion, a conviction based on the reliability, or trustworthiness... of the person or thing that is trusted. Trust also has to have an object and by that I mean something that is trusted. The human mind cannot “just trust” because we have to trust something. It can be God, our spouse, our friend, or even that the sun will come up tomorrow, but trust requires an object because we have to trust some trustworthy thing.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
--

Jesus said.....>"you believe in God, ... believe also in Me".

Jesus
said...>"all that believe in me... i GIVE unto you eternal life and you shall never perish".

"without Faith, it is impossible to please God".

'' Faith comes by hearing" = The Gospel

"The work of God is that you believe on Jesus, whom God sent"..

Philip told the Eunuch...."yes, if you have BELIEVED with all your heart, you may be water baptized"

"justification by Faith"....

"faith is counted as righteousness"...

"Abraham is the father of our Faith".

Romans 3:21-26

21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in His BLOOD , to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth (faith) in Jesus.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
--

Jesus said.....>"you believe in God, ... believe also in Me".

Jesus
said...>"all that believe in me... i GIVE unto you eternal life and you shall never perish".

"without Faith, it is impossible to please God".

'' Faith comes by hearing" = The Gospel

"The work of God is that you believe on Jesus, whom God sent"..

Philip told the Eunuch...."yes, if you have BELIEVED with all your heart, you may be water baptized"

"justification by Faith"....

"faith is counted as righteousness"...

"Abraham is the father of our Faith".

Romans 3:21-26

21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in His BLOOD , to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth (faith) in Jesus.

You mention the faith of Jesus Christ. May I ask what that is?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes good study subject, @Peterlag.

Pistis, is the greek word for Faith. From what I understand is that when a person takes the time to go and read and spend time with the Lord. The Lord is the one speaking about the kingdom and learning many things the apostles learned. That helps build faith in trusting the Lord having healed all different types of people in his lifetime. He did many great things, and people hated and reviled him, but God really desired for all people to be able to have connection with him so that is why he had sent Christ. The more a person builds their faith, that is a good thing, to trust, have confidence, and that includes on things they truly believe about what the Bible says. It is good to get as close to the truth as you can get when a person takes time to study the Bible. Gods divine persuasion comes from the Lord Yeshua, which in turn a person starts to believe and have faith, from my understanding.

Reactions: Nancy

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Gal. 2:16
'Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified."

It's our belief in Jesus Christ that justifies us in the sight of God.

You ask a very good question, Peterlag! I'm surprised you noticed the difference in "the faith in Christ" and "the faith of Christ."

Paul uses both phrases in his letters and it's very interesting. Some will say that "faith of Christ" is referring to the faith given to us by Christ, and others (including myself) say it is the faith that Christ placed in the Father while in His humanity facing the Cross.

It's a good conversation if you care to discuss it. I have had many discussions on it, and have come to the conclusion it was indeed Christ's faith in the Father.

Reactions: Nancy

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gal. 2:16
'Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified."

It's our belief in Jesus Christ that justifies us in the sight of God.

You ask a very good question, Peterlag! I'm surprised you noticed the difference in "the faith in Christ" and "the faith of Christ."

Paul uses both phrases in his letters and it's very interesting. Some will say that "faith of Christ" is referring to the faith given to us by Christ, and others (including myself) say it is the faith that Christ placed in the Father while in His humanity facing the Cross.

It's a good conversation if you care to discuss it. I have had many discussions on it, and have come to the conclusion it was indeed Christ's faith in the Father.

The faith of Jesus Christ is the relationship existing between God and Christ in the bond of the covenant between them. To recognize and acknowledge the relationship God has entered into with Christ, we must first understand that God is the originator of the covenant relationship, and God is the one who brings into being things that did not previously exist. This is His oath, His covenant, and He can be relied on to keep His part of the contract because He guarantees it, and this is His truth. Jesus Christ is the only begotten Son who is expressing the acknowledgment of his Father’s promises and power. The faith of Jesus Christ is the relationship existing between God and Christ in the bond of the covenant between them. The faith Christ has is his faith because of his acknowledgment and acceptance of his Father’s new covenant. Thus, the “gospel of Christ” is born. This faith Jesus Christ has is solid because it's the trust Jesus Christ has with God, who brought him into this special relationship that created the bond of the new covenant between them.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith and trust are virtual synonyms.

Out fallen world has many philosophical tenets that are flat out wrong. One is 'don't assume.' Well, you have to assume to function as the basis for the next step of action. One either assumes the Creator is trusworthy and faithfull or you don't.

Atheists do not recognize their own articles of faith. This is why I have become fond of telling them I do not have enough faith to be an Athiest. They really don't know how to react when they are rightfully in the seat of scrutiny.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

"the faith of Jesus"..

Spiritually, this means to have the mind of Christ.... Its to understand God's perspective regarding who the born again have become.

Having the understanding of HIS Faith..is specific to believing the way He believes.

Here is something interesting about Salvation.....

We give God our faith in Christ and then God takes it from there..
Why? Its because He supplies our Salvation as "the Gift of Salvation".
Our faith causes God to do the rest for us, as "the GIFT of Salvation".

God literally takes it from there....... all the way to the final conforming of each believer "predestined to be conformed" into the image of Christ.

But wait....there is more...

Jesus takes our faith that we have given to God, and finishes it...Hebrews 12:2.....as this is related to God finishing our Salvation, as found here. Philippians 1:6.

Reactions: Charlie24

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
You sound like a Bublical unitarian.

Not at all.

What i "sound" like, is someone who understands that if my deeds were not accepted by God to save me BEFORE He saved me with the Blood of Jesus, then im not now become a self saving Legalist who teaches = "but now that God saved me, here are my works that God would not accept to save me before i was saved...., that i now believe i have to do, to STAY SAVED"

See that?
Its literally just stupid.......absolutely stupid to not realize that ..>"how can what didn't save me before God saved me, now be so important to me to try to do these things that God didn't accepted before i was saved, that i now have been led to believe by DECEIVED Teachers who told me i have to do works and keep commandments to try to keep myself saved".

Can you see that?

Can you see the theological stupidity that exists in the mind a person who believes that .... "well, commandment keeping and good deeds could not save me,..... so i Trusted in Christ for Salvation,...... and now, i will TRUST that the deeds and commandment keeping that God would not accept before i was saved, NOW i will trust this all this to try to keep myself SAVED".

See that?
Im not that one.
Believe it.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"the faith of Jesus"..

Spiritually, this means to have the mind of Christ.... Its to understand God's perspective regarding who the born again have become.

Having the understanding of HIS Faith..is specific to believing the way He believes.

Here is something interesting about Salvation.....

We give God our faith in Christ and then God takes it from there..
Why? Its because He supplies our Salvation as "the Gift of Salvation".
Our faith causes God to do the rest for us, as "the GIFT of Salvation".

God literally takes it from there....... all the way to the final conforming of each believer "predestined to be conformed" into the image of Christ.

But wait....there is more...

Jesus takes our faith that we have given to God, and finishes it...Hebrews 12:2.....as this is related to God finishing our Salvation, as found here. Philippians 1:6.

The faith of Jesus Christ is the relationship existing between God and Christ in the bond of the covenant between them. To recognize and acknowledge the relationship God has entered into with Christ, we must first understand that God is the originator of the covenant relationship, and God is the one who brings into being things that did not previously exist. This is His oath, His covenant, and He can be relied on to keep His part of the contract because He guarantees it, and this is His truth. Jesus Christ is the only begotten Son who is expressing the acknowledgment of his Father’s promises and power. The faith of Jesus Christ is the relationship existing between God and Christ in the bond of the covenant between them. The faith Christ has is his faith because of his acknowledgment and acceptance of his Father’s new covenant. Thus, the “gospel of Christ” is born. This faith Jesus Christ has is solid because it's the trust Jesus Christ has with God, who brought him into this special relationship that created the bond of the new covenant between them.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have already started a thread called what does faith mean. Feel free to comment there.

I didn't want to start a new thread. What do you consider the gift in these verses?

Eph. 2:8-9
"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Not of works, lest any man should boast."

Is it the gift of faith or is it the gift of salvation?

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We agree! Some translations don't acknowledge that. They change "of" to "in Christ."

I believe that Christ is our example from A-Z, even His faith in the Father was our example.

Of course there is a huge debate over that, and going to the Greek doesn't settle anything.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
This is His oath, His covenant, and He can be relied on to keep His part of the contract because He guarantees it, and this is His truth. Jesus Christ is the only begotten Son who is expressing the acknowledgment of his Father’s promises and power. The faith of Jesus Christ is the relationship existing between God and Christ in the bond of the covenant between them.

Good guess, Peterlag

Now lets get real...

Jesus is God manifested in the flesh.
So, the covenant is between God and the redeemed based on Christ's Cross and the resurrection that proves redemption is completed.

The "covenant" is the NEW Testament that was written and purchased by the Blood of Jesus.

Matt 26. """This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.""

See that Covenant? That is not between God and Christ.....that is between God and humans that is BASED ON, The Cross.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good guess, Peterlag

Now lets get real...

Jesus is God manifested in the flesh.
So, the covenant is between God and the redeemed based on Christ's Cross and the resurrection that proves redemption is completed.

The "covenant" is the NEW Testament that was written and purchased by the Blood of Jesus.

Matt 26. """This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.""

See that Covenant? That is not between God and Christ.....that is between God and humans that is BASED ON, The Cross.

I see what you are saying, but the New Covenant is between God and the Man Jesus Christ. By way of the Cross I agree.

The first covenant was between God and man, and was broken instantly by man, but the New Covenant is an Everlasting Covenant that can't be broken.

It can't be broken because the covenant is between God and the Man Jesus Christ.

Reactions: Peterlag

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I see what you are saying, but the New Covenant is between God and the Man Jesus Christ. By way of the Cross I agree.

The first covenant was between God and man, and was broken instantly by man, but the New Covenant is an Everlasting Covenant that can't be broken.

It can't be broken because the covenant is between God and the Man Jesus Christ.

PL tried to teach that the Cross is a Covenant between God and Jesus, which is ridiculous, as why would God need His own blood?
Is God a sinner? Does God need to make a covenant between Himself and Himself?

God makes covenant with US,.....in the OT and in the NEW

The Cross, is a Covenant, a blood covenant, a New Testament., between God and John 3:16

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
PL tried to teach that the Cross is a Covenant between God and Jesus, which is ridiculous, as why would God need His own blood?
Is God a sinner? Does God need to make a covenant between Himself and Himself?

God makes covenant with US,.....in the OT and in the NEW

The Cross, is a Covenant, a blood covenant, a New Testament., between God and John 3:16

If the NC was with God and man there is no way it can be everlasting.

That's why it is with God and a man, yes, but the Man, Jesus Christ.

We come into that Covenant through the Cross of Christ.

The actual legal contract of the NC is with the Representative Man for us!

In other words, Jesus Christ is the New Covenant!

If the Covenant were with mere man, that Covenant can be broken, but that Covenant is with the Man, Jesus Christ, and is impossible for it to be broken.

The better way to say it is that the NC was made for us by the finished work of the Man, Jesus Christ, who took our place.

This is all very technical but I believe should be acknowledged. Man will fail, but the Man Jesus Christ will never fail.

Reactions: Peterlag