What does the word faith mean

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
If the NC was with God and man there is no way it can be everlasting.

The covenant that God offers to man, that brings us into "sonship" and "redemption" is Jesus.

He's the Covenant. He is the New Testament.

14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The covenant that God offers to man, that brings us into "sonship" and "redemption" is Jesus.

He's the Covenant. He is the New Testament.

14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

He is the Mediator that you must go through to enter the Covenant!

In the first covenant it was Moses considered to be the mediator, and mere man.

It was possible for that covenant to be broken and was.

But this New Covenant is based on the work of the Man, Jesus Christ, He is that Covenant.

Therefore the Covenant is not with man, but for man.

The difference is that man could disobey God in the first covenant and make void that covenant.

Man cannot make void the finished work of Christ who created this New Covenant.

It was what Christ did and not what man can do that establishes this Covenant for us.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Therefore the Covenant is not with man, but for man.

God's covenant is a eternal blood bought contract between God The Giver and a human recipient.
Faith is your signature that you are signing it, and being born again is God's signature on the human spirit that the contract is accepted and fulfilled.
John 3:16 and 2 Corinthians 5:19 detail the eternal contract.
The Blood Atonement Contract, is the New Testament means that God offers to forgive your sin and imput righteousness to you that becomes your eternal inheritance.
This is your Eternal Security against "the day of wrath".

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's covenant is a eternal blood bought contract between God The Giver and a human recipient.
Faith is your signature that you are signing it, and being born again is God's signature on the human spirit that the contract is accepted and fulfilled.
John 3:16 and 2 Corinthians 5:19 detail the eternal contract.
The Blood Atonement Contract, is the New Testament means that God offers to forgive your sin and imput righteousness to you that becomes your eternal inheritance.
This is your Eternal Security against "the day of wrath".

We disagree! The first covenant was with man, it depended on what man did as to whether that covenant stood.

The NC is not with fallen man, it is with the Man, Jesus Christ, the Covenant stands by Him, what He did, not what man can do.

Man has nothing to do with this contract between God the Father and God the Son.

But to merely believe it and accept it!

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
We disagree! The first covenant was with man, i!

Both covenants are made with Man.
Both Testaments are made with Man.

The reason God made a 2nd, through the eternal mediator (Jesus) is because the first could not give righteousness or cause it.

Here is the 2nd.

""""" So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation."""

""With one (eternal) sacrifice, then, He has made perfect forever those who are purified from sin."""

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Both covenants are made with Man.
Both Testaments are made with Man.

The reason God made a 2nd, through the eternal mediator (Jesus) is because the first could not give righteousness or cause it.

Here is the 2nd.

""""" So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation."""

Correct! The first could not give righteousness because man could not keep that covenant. The righteousness was there in the Law, but fallen man could not keep it. It was to point the Sacrificial System of the Law, where Christ was found as the Sacrifice.

Christ took that barrier away, (the Law) by fulfilling that Law for us, and by our faith, that righteousness He earned is freely given to us!

Christ did what we couldn't do to gain righteousness that God demanded. He stepped into our shoes and took the full force of our punishment for sin, after He earned the righteousness that would be given to us.

He did it all for us! Man can do nothing but believe! The contract is with Him, not us. We are only the recipients of His wonderful Grace by faith.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
He did it all for us! Man can do nothing but believe! The contract is with Him, not us. We are only the recipients of His wonderful Grace by faith.

The blood atonement is between God and you and me.
Jesus is the contract and "by faith", we do sign it, and on the Cross Jesus did deliver it, as the "blood atonement'

This is "the gift of Salvation".

What is God's part other than offering Jesus the New Covenant=New Testament?
Its God's part to complete our Salvation, also.

Philippians 1:6

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The blood atonement is between God and you and me.
Jesus is the contract and "by faith", we do sign it, and on the Cross Jesus did deliver it, as the "blood atonement'

This is "the gift of Salvation".

What is God's part other than offering Jesus the New Covenant=New Testament?
Its God's part to complete our Salvation, also.

Philippians 1:6

Your completion to the finish line is guaranteed by faith in the finished work of Christ.

The Blood Atonement was decided before the foundation of the world. There was no doubt a Godhead consultation that man would be created, he would fall, and he would be redeemed by faith in what the Christ would do in His death, burial, and resurrection.

The New Covenant was decided then and there before man was created. It would the Christ who would represent the Godhead in this plan of Redemption.

The only way we can enter into this NC is by faith. The Christ has done everything for us that satisfies the Father. It is only by faith in His Son that God will accept us, no other way!

The NC is based, built, and in force only by what the Christ has done. We had nothing to do with it. It was pure undefiled Grace on the part of the Godhead that we are not all in hell right now!

The Father can trust no man with this Covenant, only His obedient Son. It was made by Him and for us by pure Grace.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good guess, Peterlag

Now lets get real...

Jesus is God manifested in the flesh.
So, the covenant is between God and the redeemed based on Christ's Cross and the resurrection that proves redemption is completed.

The "covenant" is the NEW Testament that was written and purchased by the Blood of Jesus.

Matt 26. """This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.""

See that Covenant? That is not between God and Christ.....that is between God and humans that is BASED ON, The Cross.

I think what you have done is to totally wipe out the Christ from the whole deal. Thus, what is left is just you and God.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We agree! Some translations don't acknowledge that. They change "of" to "in Christ."

I believe that Christ is our example from A-Z, even His faith in the Father was our example.

Of course there is a huge debate over that, and going to the Greek doesn't settle anything.

We agree on this. I believe it's "of" and not "in" and the Greek can go one way or the other. So you're right there too... going to the Greek doesn't settle anything concerning this subject.

It's not our believing that makes us righteous, but the faith of Jesus Christ, whereby we not only have our standing, but also have access to the high and holy privilege that comes with that spiritual standing.

Galatians 2:20
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

It's not how to get Christ to live within our natural realm, because the things of the spirit cannot enter the things of the flesh, and then be subject to the obedience of the natural realm. But to let Christ live within, by letting our spiritually renewed mind into his spiritual world, and letting his spiritual faith function within our natural world. The “Christ in you” is the ability to walk and talk with him, doing what he would have us do rather than walking by our senses or by the dictates of any human doctrine.

We have the power within us of unlimited potential, and we can reach forth with the touch of the Master’s hand because he is in us—inside our being. And this is why wherever we are with God in Christ in us, we will have that same radiance, that same light, and that same life, which has magnified the Christ to shine. Not because of who we are, but because of what God made us to be when He created in Christ Jesus. God’s seed in us, also known as the gift of holy spirit, is our connection to God, who is the Holy Spirit. The gift of holy spirit is our power base because of our connection to Christ.

When he was circumcised, we were circumcised with him.
(Colossians 2:11)

When he was baptized, we were baptized with him.
(Romans 6:3)

When he was crucified, we were crucified with him.
(Galatians 2:20)

When he died, we died with him.

When he was buried, we were buried with him.
(Colossians 2:12)

When he arose, we arose with him.
(Ephesians 2:6)

When he ascended, we ascended with him.

When he sat down, we sat down with him.

We were called in him. (Romans 8:29-30)
We were made alive with him. (Colossians 2:13)
We were baptized into him. (Romans 6:3)
We were reconciled in him. (Romans 5:10)
We were redeemed by him. (1 Peter 1:18-19)
We were justified in him. (Romans 3:24)
We were made righteous in him. (Romans 5:16-18)
We were sanctified in him. (1 Corinthians 6:11)
We were glorified in him. (Romans 8:30)

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't want to start a new thread. What do you consider the gift in these verses?

Eph. 2:8-9
"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Not of works, lest any man should boast."

Is it the gift of faith or is it the gift of salvation?

I tried to delete this statement "I have already started a thread called what does faith mean. Feel free to comment there." because we are already in that post. Sorry about that. The gift that Ephesians is writing about is your new birth. What came in Acts chapter 2 verse 4.

Reactions: Charlie24

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not our believing that makes us righteous, but the faith of Jesus Christ, whereby we not only have our standing, but also have access to the high and holy privilege that comes with that spiritual standing.

Galatians 2:20
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

It's not how to get Christ to live within our natural realm, because the things of the spirit cannot enter the things of the flesh, and then be subject to the obedience of the natural realm. But to let Christ live within, by letting our spiritually renewed mind into his spiritual world, and letting his spiritual faith function within our natural world. The “Christ in you” is the ability to walk and talk with him, doing what he would have us do rather than walking by our senses or by the dictates of any human doctrine.

We have the power within us of unlimited potential, and we can reach forth with the touch of the Master’s hand because he is in us—inside our being. And this is why wherever we are with God in Christ in us, we will have that same radiance, that same light, and that same life, which has magnified the Christ to shine. Not because of who we are, but because of what God made us to be when He created in Christ Jesus. God’s seed in us, also known as the gift of holy spirit, is our connection to God, who is the Holy Spirit. The gift of holy spirit is our power base because of our connection to Christ.

When he was circumcised, we were circumcised with him.
(Colossians 2:11)

When he was baptized, we were baptized with him.
(Romans 6:3)

When he was crucified, we were crucified with him.

When he died, we died with him.

When he was buried, we were buried with him.
(Colossians 2:12)

When he arose, we arose with him.

When he ascended, we ascended with him.

When he sat down, we sat down with him.

We were called in him. (Romans 8:29-30)
We were made alive with him. (Colossians 2:13)
We were baptized into him. (Romans 6:3)
We were reconciled in him. (Romans 5:10)
We were redeemed by him. (1 Peter 1:18-19)
We were justified in him. (Romans 3:24)
We were made righteous in him. (Romans 5:16-18)
We were sanctified in him. (1 Corinthians 6:11)
We were glorified in him. (Romans 8:30)

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see what you are saying, but the New Covenant is between God and the Man Jesus Christ. By way of the Cross I agree.

The first covenant was between God and man, and was broken instantly by man, but the New Covenant is an Everlasting Covenant that can't be broken.

It can't be broken because the covenant is between God and the Man Jesus Christ.

It doesn't get any better then this...

The first covenant was between God and man, and was broken instantly by man, but the New Covenant is an Everlasting Covenant that can't be broken.

It can't be broken because the covenant is between God and the Man Jesus Christ.

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Faith in your fellow man ?
Faith that people will do the right thing by you and all ?
Faith in your Governments ?

Well you know what I do have some faith is all above, but that does not mean jack truly.

The Bible talks about faith, as of they of little faith and they of faith that can move mountains ? and that faith that is regarded as moving mountains is all about one who is Saved ? such is the faith that it's 100% and that is what is truly needed in fact, the one of little faith is not worthy of that, that can move mountains, but the faith that can comes from God in fact. not of yourself, but faith in Christ Jesus !

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith in your fellow man ?
Faith that people will do the right thing by you and all ?
Faith in your Governments ?

Well you know what I do have some faith is all above, but that does not mean jack truly.

The Bible talks about faith, as of they of little faith and they of faith that can move mountains ? and that faith that is regarded as moving mountains is all about one who is Saved ? such is the faith that it's 100% and that is what is truly needed in fact, the one of little faith is not worthy of that, that can move mountains, but the faith that can comes from God in fact. not of yourself, but faith in Christ Jesus !

Did you enjoy what I wrote about faith?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Eph. 2:8-9
"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Not of works, lest any man should boast."

Is it the gift of faith or is it the gift of salvation?
I've written on this before. "That", in Greek "touto", is a neuter pronoun. "Faith", in Greek, pistis, is a feminine noun. The grammatical rule is that the pronoun must have the same gender as the referent, so "That" cannot refer to "Faith". The neuter is used when referring to an abstract concept, so in this context, "That", refers to salvation by grace through faith. So by the rules of Greek grammar, salvation (by grace, through faith) is the gift.

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You ask a very good question, Peterlag! I'm surprised you noticed the difference in "the faith in Christ" and "the faith of Christ."

Paul uses both phrases in his letters and it's very interesting. Some will say that "faith of Christ" is referring to the faith given to us by Christ, and others (including myself) say it is the faith that Christ placed in the Father while in His humanity facing the Cross.

The phrase πίστεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ in Galatians 2:16 and Romans 3:22; also πίστεως Χριστοῦ in Philippians 3:9 is a Greek genitive construction. You can translate it as a subjective genitive (the faith of Jesus Christ, or Jesus Christ's faith) or an objective genitive (faith in Jesus Christ). Either translation is grammatically valid, and each has its own theological implications.

If Paul intended the subjective genitive, my working theory is that it should be translated as "Jesus Christ's faithfulness", Paul's shorthand way of referring to Christ's going to the Cross in obedience to His Father's will. This works in context, because when Paul mentions πίστεως Χριστοῦ in Galatians, Romans, and Philippians, Christ's death is always mentioned nearby.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The phrase πίστεως Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ in Galatians 2:16 and Romans 3:22; also πίστεως Χριστοῦ in Philippians 3:9 is a Greek genitive construction. You can translate it as a subjective genitive (Jesus Christ's faith) or an objective genitive (faith in Jesus Christ). Either translation is grammatically valid, and each has its own theological implications.

If Paul intended the subjective genitive, my working theory is that it should be translated as "Jesus Christ's faithfulness", Paul's shorthand way of referring to Christ's going to the Cross in obedience to His Father's will. This works in context, because when Paul mentions πίστεως Χριστοῦ in Galatians, Romans, and Philippians, Christ's death is always mentioned nearby.

I see it the same way! Christ's faithfulness that we are to copy. The Greek can go either way, the reason for the argument.

But then again I see everything Christ did as our example. Even to the faith He placed in the Father in His humanity.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the New Testament “faith” is most often translated from the Greek noun pistis (#4102 πίστις), which like many other Greek words has several meanings including “trust” Romans 3:38, 1 Corintians 15:14, “faithfulness and reliability” (Proverbs 12:22, Matthew 23:23, Romans 3:3, Galatians 5:22, and “proof and pledge” (Acts 17:31). Also we find pistis in the New Testament and later Christian writings being used as a designation for the entire scope of religious practices and beliefs of the followers of Jesus as in “the Christian Faith” (Galatians 1:23). “Faithfulness” and “trust” were both very common meanings of pistis and that is why it was also used in the everyday Greek-speaking world. However, pistis in the New Testament means “trust” much more than it does “faithfulness” and when pistis is translated “faith” in phrases like “faith in God” or “faith in Christ” or “have faith” it means “trust” or “confidence” or “assurance.”The early Christians would have readily perceived the meaning of pistis as “trust” or “confidence” and that meaning can be easily confirmed by checking any good biblical lexicon or Bible dictionary such as the following...

• “With the predominant idea of trust (or confidence)” (Thayer’s Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament).
  • “Firm persuasion, a conviction based upon hearing” (Vine’s Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words).
  • “Firm persuasion” (A Critical Lexicon and Concordance to the English and Greek New Testament by E.W. Bullinger).
  • “State of believing on the basis of the reliability of the one trusted; trust, confidence” (A Greek English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature, W. Arndt and Wilber Gingrich, 2000; usually abbreviated “BDAG”).
  • “It is the attitude of complete trust in Christ...” (The New Bible Dictionary).
  • “In the New Testament, ‘faith’ is used in a number of ways, but primarily with the meaning ‘trust’ or ‘confidence’ in God” (Hollman Bible Dictionary).
We read in Hebrews 11:1 “Now faith [pistis] is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see” (NIV). The NASB uses slightly different vocabulary but gives the same message which is “Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.” So the Bible itself defines pistis as assurance or confidence in something and a good way to express that in English is by the word “trust.” Faith has been defined and explained so many different ways that it's a difficult concept to grasp, but “trust” is simple to understand. The lexical sources listed above defined it when they defined pistis as a confidence, a firm persuasion, a conviction based on the reliability, or trustworthiness... of the person or thing that is trusted. Trust also has to have an object and by that I mean something that is trusted. The human mind cannot “just trust” because we have to trust something. It can be God, our spouse, our friend, or even that the sun will come up tomorrow, but trust requires an object because we have to trust some trustworthy thing.

Oh, my favorite, favorite topic!
I run across a lot of people who seem to think faith is…a big creedal type thing to recite. But it’s not. It’s trusting God, you are right. And we are, largely, very weak and without power because of a lack of trust in Him.

We are like Israel after they trusted God to save them from death in the Red Sea, who then did not continue in the obedience of trust but rather entered the desert of the testing of their trust and, after trusting God to keep them alive, then proceeded to not continue in that trust when it came to food and water. God cannot tell you about heavenly things if you won’t trust what He has said about earthly things like provision but instead choose to fret and worry over them.

It’s only through trust that He begins to even make you faithful and obedient. He can’t even renew your mind and the way you think about things if you insist on worry over physical provision. Remember, it says God let them become very thirsty to see what they would do, continue in trust or leave trust.

Thank God that He is patient, but we will remain stuck wandering in the wilderness of the testing of our trust if we continue to refuse to trust and to grow and continue in trust. We will never enter into what He has for us until we stop fretting and worrying over earthly and temporary matters rather than learning the obedience of trust in them.

We also have trouble with trusting it being God, rather than ourselves, who gives the ability to get wealth.

Another thing we have trouble trusting in is that it is God who puts rulers in their seat of power and removes them from their seats. We think it is we who control that by voting.

Last edited: