What exactly is Non-denominationalism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

IanLC

Encounter Team
Mar 22, 2011
North Carolina
Non-denominationalism does not believe in denominations and thus asks their people to come out of established ones and thus they form a new denomination called non-denominational. What exactly is non-denominationalism?

Reactions: makaylahope

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
To denominate means to divide something from the rest by giving it a name. This of course goes directly against he unity of the Spirit. Our name is in Christ...no other division is required or commanded. So any group that names itself is a denomination. When we do this we practice heresy (division).

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's pretty much what has already been said.

I'd only add that non-denominationalism is primarily a reaction to denominationalism, for the most part. The idea is that you drop the label of a denomination and often drop some of the accepted doctrines, beliefs, traditions and practices of set denomination. It typically means that you have varying viewpoints allowed on many issues, choosing to instead focus on core issues.

At the core is the notion that believers can still fellowship together even if they hold differing viewpoints on open-handed issues.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Non-denominationalism does not believe in denominations...

Of course they "believe" in denominations, otherwise theirs is a self defeating circular argument (like atheism).

Non-denominationalists simply do not, on either a personal or congregational level, participate in a formal manner, in organizing or aligning themselves with religious entities besides themselves.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
nondenominational is what some people call their own church affiliation. Denominational is what they call everyone else's church affiliation.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Non-denominationalism does not believe in denominations and thus asks their people to come out of established ones and thus they form a new denomination called non-denominational. What exactly is non-denominationalism?

The same as denominationalism, its all man-made.

neophyte

Apr 25, 2012
Quite right jiggyfly,all are man-made, all split from a former denominational/non-denominational church.
Only one Church never spllit from another church and that Church is only "One"{ Rom. 12:5, 1Cor. 10-17, 12:13 } That "One " Church is Holy [ Eph. 25-27, Rev. 19: 7-8 ] That One True Church is " Apostolic " [ Eph. 2: 19-20 ] and it is "Catholic" [ Matt. 28: 19-20, Rev. 5: 9-10 ]
Thus that One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church is the only Church from Jesus

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Quite right jiggyfly,all are man-made, all split from a former denominational/non-denominational church.
Only one Church never spllit from another church and that Church is only "One"{ Rom. 12:5, 1Cor. 10-17, 12:13 } That "One " Church is Holy [ Eph. 25-27, Rev. 19: 7-8 ] That One True Church is " Apostolic " [ Eph. 2: 19-20 ] and it is "Catholic" [ Matt. 28: 19-20, Rev. 5: 9-10 ]
Thus that One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church is the only Church from Jesus

Yes indeed but not to be confused with the replica based in the Vatican city within Rome. :)

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
There are some good aspects to the denominational church ..... we are all different and there are certain denominations that cater to our personal religious leanings.

I have attended many of those different denominational churches , but have chosen not to be a member of any one in particular.

Many Christians want to know our affiliations so that they can "categorize us". To be non-denominational forces them to simply label us as Christian .... I find it saves a lot of arguing about "who has the best church"

Because each of us thinks "our church is the best" .... right ?

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
I try to fellowship with like minded folks, just as we all do in one manner or another. Labels are a first level of comparison between what a congregation espouses but perhaps not each individual member.

I am a Reformed Baptist but since there is no RB congregation near me I attend a slightly Presbyterian church where the Gospel is preached and the Word of God taught.

neophyte

Apr 25, 2012
What do you think I am confused about?
You're confused about the truth of Christ's Catholic Church, that is what you're confused about, and sadly without apparently ever realizing your misunderstanding of Holy Scripture, one must read and interpret Holy Scripture as it was intended to be interpreted and understood.
You and all other 'Bible alone" followers define this method of road-mapping to heaven as being the sole rule for salvation.
The overriding problem with this one message of Bible alone syndrome is that it has egendered a hydra-headed monster of 33, 820 denominations / non-denominations worldwide [ 2nd edition- Barrett's World Christian Encyclopedia ] and ever increasing to this day.
So here we have a purportedly "God -breathed'' religious book , absolutely inerrant and therefore free of all contradiction , which is supposedly intended to place us all on this wide road to paradise [ wide, because you and your ilk give yourselves a wide-lee way method of personal interpretation ] this rather novel man-made inventive method of salvation became invoked in the early 16th century, from it's man-made conception it has done nothing but to cause confusion and profound division amongst the so called "born again " believers of this world. This method was never an implimentation from our Savior Jesus,this procedure was totally foreign to Jesus, His apostles, and all true early Christians.This method [ Bible alone ] is not from God, but attributed to the mere finite minds of humans seeking what it can never attain: ultimate truth. Only Christ's Church contains all truth on matters of the Christian Faith [ 1 Tim 3:15 ] Authority of His Church [ Matt. 16: 18-19; 18:18; Jn. 20:23 ] His Church is infallible [ Mt. 16:18; 28:20; Mk. 16:16, Lk. 10:16; 1 Tim. 3:15 ] Church only from Jesus built on His apostles [ 1 Cor. 3:10; Eph. 2:20; REv. 21:14 ] Jesus never said He loved His Bible but only His Church, Jesus is the spouse of His Church [ Eph. 5:25-26 ] Jesus protects His Church [ Mt. 16:18; 20 :20 ] His Church has an unbroken succession [ Acts 1: 15- 26; 2 Tim. 2:2 ; Titus 1:5 ] Presbyters /elders [ priests ] were ordained , preached and taught the flock, administered sacraments [ Acts 15:16; 23; 1Tim 4:14; 5:22; 1Tim. 5:17; Jas. 5:13-15; Rom. 15:16. ] The Church that Jesus gave us, that Church gave us the Holy Bible, both are needed, the Church and the Bible. Jesus is much more than a Book Alone. Christianity is the only worlds major religion that is not based on a' holy book alone" religion as i.e Judaism. Islam. For to have the "Fullness of the Christian Faith " the Catholic and Apostolic Teaching Church along with the One True Interpretation of the Bible are needed.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
You seem to be confused about what I believe. I side with neither Catholicism or Protestantism and consider both to be carnal man-made religious entities. I get along just fine and grow in Christ without any help from either of them.

neophyte

Apr 25, 2012
You seem to be confused about what I believe. I side with neither Catholicism or Protestantism and consider both to be carnal man-made religious entities. I get along just fine and grow in Christ without any help from either of them.

jig, only in your own mind. ---- "To be ignorant of Scripture is to be ignorant of Christ," St,Jerome

neophyte

Apr 25, 2012
What scriptures am I ignoring?

For starters, Matt. 16:16-18 Jesus gave us "one" Church and that is His only Church [ Jesus said: "my church" , one church not plural usage ]

You are either ignoring or haven't read this : " This, then, you must understand first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is made by private interpretation [ 2nd Peter 1: 20 ]

"There are certain things difficult to understand , which the unlearned and the unstable distort, just as they do the rest of the Scriptures also [ 2nd Peter 3:16 ]

"There will be one fold and one shepherd " [ John 10:16 ].

You are also ignoring these verses that support Christ's Apostolic Teaching Church- [ Matt 28: 18-20; Luke 10:16; John 17: 20-21; Eph. 4:3-6; John 21: 15-17 ]

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
For starters, Matt. 16:16-18 Jesus gave us "one" Church and that is His only Church [ Jesus said: "my church" , one church not plural usage ]

You are either ignoring or haven't read this : " This, then, you must understand first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is made by private interpretation [ 2nd Peter 1: 20 ]

"There are certain things difficult to understand , which the unlearned and the unstable distort, just as they do the rest of the Scriptures also [ 2nd Peter 3:16 ]

"There will be one fold and one shepherd " [ John 10:16 ].

You are also ignoring these verses that support Christ's Apostolic Teaching Church- [ Matt 28: 18-20; Luke 10:16; John 17: 20-21; Eph. 4:3-6; John 21: 15-17 ]

No actually your mistaken, I am not ignoring those scriptures at all. I agree that there is only one body, one ekklesia, but I most definitely disagree that this one ekklesia is the Roman Catholic religion or any other man-made religious enterprise. Christ's ekklesia is a spiritual entity made up of those who believe in Jesus.

Here's some scripture that Catholicism ignores.

1 Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples,2 “The teachers of religious law and the Pharisees are the official interpreters of the law of Moses. 3 So practice and obey whatever they tell you, but don’t follow their example. For they don’t practice what they teach.4 They crush people with impossible religious demands and never lift a finger to ease the burden.5 “Everything they do is for show. On their arms they wear extra wide prayer boxes with Scripture verses inside, and they wear robes with extra long tassels. 6 And they love to sit at the head table at banquets and in the seats of honor in the synagogues.7 They love to receive respectful greetings as they walk in the marketplaces, and to be called ‘Rabbi.’ 8 “Don’t let anyone call you ‘Rabbi,’ for you have only one teacher, and all of you are equal as brothers and sisters. 9And don’t address anyone here on earth as ‘Father,’ for only God in heaven is your spiritual Father.10 And don’t let anyone call you ‘Teacher,’ for you have only one teacher, the Messiah.11 The greatest among you must be a servant.12 But those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.
Matt 23:1-12 (NLT)