What exactly is Non-denominationalism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

neophyte

Apr 25, 2012
No actually your mistaken, I am not ignoring those scriptures at all. I agree that there is only one body, one ekklesia, but I most definitely disagree that this one ekklesia is the Roman Catholic religion or any other man-made religious enterprise. Christ's ekklesia is a spiritual entity made up of those who believe in Jesus.

Here's some scripture that Catholicism ignores.

1 Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples,2 “The teachers of religious law and the Pharisees are the official interpreters of the law of Moses. 3 So practice and obey whatever they tell you, but don’t follow their example. For they don’t practice what they teach.4 They crush people with impossible religious demands and never lift a finger to ease the burden.5 “Everything they do is for show. On their arms they wear extra wide prayer boxes with Scripture verses inside, and they wear robes with extra long tassels. 6 And they love to sit at the head table at banquets and in the seats of honor in the synagogues.7 They love to receive respectful greetings as they walk in the marketplaces, and to be called ‘Rabbi.’ 8 “Don’t let anyone call you ‘Rabbi,’ for you have only one teacher, and all of you are equal as brothers and sisters. 9And don’t address anyone here on earth as ‘Father,’ for only God in heaven is your spiritual Father.10 And don’t let anyone call you ‘Teacher,’ for you have only one teacher, the Messiah.11 The greatest among you must be a servant.12 But those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.
Matt 23:1-12 (NLT)
[background=#fff]

The Church gets her authority from Jesus to make these laws. He told the leaders of his Church, “Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven” (Mt 16:19, 18:18).
This language of “binding and loosing” was a Jewish phrase that was that meant forbidding and permitting. This pertained to the ability of scribes and Pharisees to establish rules of conduct for the faith community, and the good Jew was called by Christ to obey them (Matt. 23:3).
Since Jesus gave this authority to the leaders of his Church, they have authority to do such things as establish feast days and lay down laws for the good of the community

First, as we’ve seen, the imperative "call no man father" does not apply to one’s biological father. It also doesn’t exclude calling one’s ancestors "father," as is shown in Acts 7:2, where Stephen refers to "our father Abraham," or in Romans 9:10, where Paul speaks of "our father Isaac."
Second, there are numerous examples in the New Testament of the term "father" being used as a form of address and reference, even for men who are not biologically related to the speaker. There are, in fact, so many uses of "father" in the New Testament, that the Fundamentalist interpretation of Matthew 23 (and the objection to Catholics calling priests "father") must be wrong, as we shall see.
Third, a careful examination of the context of Matthew 23 shows that Jesus didn’t intend for his words here to be understood literally. The whole passage reads, "But you are not to be called ‘rabbi,’ for you have one teacher, and you are all brethren. And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven. Neither be called ‘masters,’ for you have one master, the Christ" (Matt. 23:8–10).
The first problem is that although Jesus seems to prohibit the use of the term "teacher," in Matthew 28:19–20, Christ himself appointed certain men to be teachers in his Church: "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations . . . teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you." Paul speaks of his commission as a teacher: "For this I was appointed a preacher and apostle . . . a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth" (1 Tim. 2:7); "For this gospel I was appointed a preacher and apostle and teacher" (2 Tim. 1:11). He also reminds us that the Church has an office of teacher: "God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers" (1 Cor. 12:28); and "his gifts were that some should be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers" (Eph. 4:11). There is no doubt that Paul was not violating Christ’s teaching in Matthew 23 by referring so often to others as "teachers."
Jiggyfly, you yourselve slip up on this point by calling all sorts of people "doctor," for example, medical doctors, as well as professors and scientists who have Ph.D. degrees (i.e., doctorates). What you fail to realize is that "doctor" is simply the Latin word for "teacher." Even "Mister" and "Mistress" ("Mrs.") are forms of the word "master," also mentioned by Jesus. So if his words in Matthew 23 were meant to be taken literally, you Jiggyfly and other certain Protestant sects would be just as guilty for using the word "teacher" and "doctor" and "mister" as Catholics for saying "father." But clearly, that would be a misunderstanding of Christ’s words. [/background]

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, this is not usually my interest, but.....

I have never run into a verse that describes Christ's church as invisible - in fact, the Bible says the opposite in Matthew 5:14
“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.

And Jiggy, I think the verse you provided is an example of Jesus making a way for gentiles to follow Him - not universalism or pluralism.

neophyte

Apr 25, 2012
Well, this is not usually my interest, but.....

I have never run into a verse that describes Christ's church as invisible - in fact, the Bible says the opposite in Matthew 5:14
“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.

And Jiggy, I think the verse you provided is an example of Jesus making a way for gentiles to follow Him - not universalism or pluralism.

Thanks aspen2, Your answer is less long drawn out than my answer.You hit the nail on the head. I hope he understands such as call no man Father from my explanation , and here is a little bit more for him - Acts 7: 2 " Stephen said : "Brethren and fathers, hear me ....' Then, after speaking about Jesus , he mentions Moses. Also in the OT ':father Abraham'

Also -Acts 7:38-39; 7:44-45; 7:51-53

1 Cor. 4: 14-15 St. Paul said: "... for I became your father through the gospel ..."

Romans 4:16-17; 1 Thess. 2:11; 1 Tim. 1:2; Titus 1:4 ; 1 John 2: 13-14 ; Phil. 1: 9-10

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
I've been with Baptist churches since I was saved May 18, 1963, but you don't have to be a Baptist to go to heaven. I have no idea what a non-denominational church teaches or preaches. If there was one in my area, I would check it out. I have enough Bible knowledge to tell if they're scriptural or not.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina

So do you think that in the kingdom of God there are those who are more important than others? Is the pope more important to God and His purpose than a protestant, jew or muslim?

I don't see any mention of gentiles in the context, but we know for sure He was speaking to His disciples telling them not to act like the religious pharisees. Yet many within the Christian religious groups act the same way Jesus spoke against. It is because they have one thing at least in common with the pharisees, religiousness. The clergy/laity system is man-made. Is the pope truly a servant in the ways exampled by Christ? I am not nor have I ever been a catholic but from what I have seen in the media and have heard from catholics I know, the pope is served by many much more than he serves others. The fact that he is referred to as"his eminence" speaks loud enough for me. To me catholicism is just one of many religious micro kingdoms and will eventually pass away with the rest.

Aspen it may seem that I simply against catholicism here but I hate religion no matter what guise it is under.

brodav9

Dec 26, 2011
Sylacauga Al. U.S.A.
Non- denominationalism began in the N.T. Thge church was not organised by programs and directions outside of the Holy Spirit's leading. The basis for this is that when men organised the church and control it, it then comes into confusion. Without the direct leading of Jesus the head of the church who can know God's will and plan for his people.

Many churches pass out a program showing what they will sing, who will speak, and every moment by moment action the meeting will perform. God is not even welcomed to control or be active. That of coarse is because where God is not welcome he won't show up.

Jesus must be head of the body, assembly. today the N.T. pattern is rejected because of unbelief. What is really being said is, Jesus is not welcome here. If he was he would be welcome to come by his Holy Spirit in all the believers to do his works, including miracles, healing, gifts, etc.

God by his Spirit talks to me almost every day. yet the denom. churches say he doesn't. Will only remain humbled by the fact that in his mercy he chooses to tell me such marvelous things. I am able to even prove it. except that sometimes people may say I have a devil.
Even this very morning he visited me and told me a marvelous encouragement. Shame to go to church and be given a your full of bologney while be at home and have Jesus himself tell me he loves me today. ----no doubt it was him because he told it in a way which
has caused me to bless someone else to.

God is the creator and completer of the true church. He perfects it through faithful ministry Eph. 4:11. They have faith to the point they don't ask for money, God answers their silent prayers to him. Just like one preacher I knew who never asked for a penny and God supplied a 100,000 air condition system for their church.

In that church there were miracles and healing, but they were by the Holy Spirit, not by any heretic and false preacher.

Non-denom.. have no organisation but are independent bodies supported by the believers in that Assembly. They look to God to supply and feed them on the word of God given to the ministry before meeting together. He is on his face in prayer to receive the word for them. He is commited to share only truth which is confirmed by the Holy Spirit.

There are many Non- denoms. who are his still carnal and fleshly. The true are few just like Jesus said. strait is the gate and few there be that go therein. my way of quoting it. narrow is the way that leads to life everlasting. Matt. 7:14.

neophyte

Apr 25, 2012
brodav9. Jesus built my church, which is Christ's Church , His Church ,understand, Jesus said, 'my church', that church alone which was formed on the apostles is Christ's One True Church ,not your church because your church was invented by mere-men and not built on the apostles. Any Church that can trace its religious origins directly back to Jesus and His apostles are members of Christ's Apostolic Church [ today, only the Catholic and EOC ] both have direct lineage directly back to Christ's apostles. [ Eph. 2: 19-20; Luke 10:16 ]