What Is A Christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marakorpa

Aug 26, 2017
Coffs Harbour NSW
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It seems to me that we're loosing sight of what a Christian is.

Can anyone that believes in God call themselves a Christian? NO
Does one have to believe in Jesus? YES
Are there any specific doctrine one MUST believe in? Yes
Are we supposed to behave in any particular way? Yes
Are we supposed to do anything particular? Yes.

What makes a Christian be a Christian?

Christianity is not a title it is a way of life. You opening statement is very true but that is because Satan has blinded people to the truth. Satan would be pleased with the human race and how it has degenerated into its present condition.

If you think about it, there can only be one truth, no matter what the subject and this includes God's Word, so, somewhere in the 44,000 "Christian" religions there can only be one that is living according to God's Word as closely as they can.

Many people think that as long as you call yourself a Christian and, maybe, go to Church a couple of times a year you will attain salvation. This, of course, is not how Jesus and his apostles described things.

14 Of what benefit is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but he does not have works?+ That faith cannot save him, can it?+ 15 If any brothers or sisters are lacking clothing* and enough food for the day, 16 yet one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but you do not give them what they need for their body, of what benefit is it?+ 17 So, too, faith by itself, without works, is dead.+ From 2 Timothy.

If we look back at the history in the Bible of those that were not of the faithful ones were saved when millions were wiped out you many see a parallel with what is in store for mankind in the near future.

At the time of the world flood some estimates put the world population at between 750 million and 3 billion people. The Bible does not say how many there were it only described the decadence of those times and the faithful family of Noah. However, the point is that only Noah and his family survived because they had the Truth and obeyed God's laws. The rest of the world population was destroyed and they will have no resurrection or hope for everlasting life on the coming Paradise Earth.

God did not allow for some that may have thought they were believers in the almighty God and Creator, He knew their hearts and found that all were wicked.

Look at the way Jehovah protected the Israelites against massive odds when armies tried to destroy the Chosen Race. It was only those that were faithful to God's Laws that were protected.

Sodom and Gomorrah is another example where Lot pleaded with God to allow him to find an ever decreasing number of "Good" people and Lot could find none. The cities were totally destroyed and the wicked ones therein. Even Lot's wife disobeyed God and died.

Jehovah wiped out thousands of Egyptians in the sea as they tried to catch the departing Israelites.

And eventually, with the Jews not following God's Laws, God sent his promised ransom sacrifice to die for the sins of all men, of course, we have to earn that offering, it is not automatic that everyone in now sinless, we are all sinners but many have the opportunity to become a faithful servant of Jehovah and seek dedication to Him and serve him earnestly as a Christian.

The Bible clearly describes what it is to be Christian, and it condemns the world of Christendom, all false religion. Things that seem to be common in these end times like man loving money instead of God, Immorality such as homosexuality and sex outside proper marriage. God hates liars and the Churches are promoted by liars and lies by those who are the hard workers for Satan as he blinds the mind of the world population.

It is all there in the "Workshop Manual for Christians", The Holy Bible, as Jehovah has caused the writings and He is the God of truth alone.

Reactions: GodsGrace

Marakorpa

Aug 26, 2017
Coffs Harbour NSW
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Both are right if we are able to understand their meanings. The OP really asked for a definition of a Christian and each answered apparently according to his own definition. For two believers to communicate, they must either have the same definitions or they each must understand the other guy's definition as well his own.

There is only one definition, so different definitions will always clash.

Marakorpa

Aug 26, 2017
Coffs Harbour NSW
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
1. Yes. They may not understand what they are labeling themselves as, however. What a crazy answer.
2. The doctrine of the Trinity, the doctrine of the incarnation, the sum of the law, and the Resurrection of Christ are classic examples of orthodox doctrines. and not supported in the Bible
3. Love perfectly
4. Worship God; serve neighbor.
Love thy neighbour

Marakorpa

Aug 26, 2017
Coffs Harbour NSW
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In post no. 163, you replied to Aspen's post but changed what he wrote.
What you wrote does NOT represent what Aspen believes.

This should not be done...
I put my replies in embolden and italics. It was not my intention to change what hte writer believed, it just reflected my beliefs and that is what this forum in about, isn't it?

Thank you for your comment, I will be more precise next time.

Reactions: GodsGrace and Helen

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Christianity is not a title it is a way of life. You opening statement is very true but that is because Satan has blinded people to the truth. Satan would be pleased with the human race and how it has degenerated into its present condition.

If you think about it, there can only be one truth, no matter what the subject and this includes God's Word, so, somewhere in the 44,000 "Christian" religions there can only be one that is living according to God's Word as closely as they can.

Many people think that as long as you call yourself a Christian and, maybe, go to Church a couple of times a year you will attain salvation. This, of course, is not how Jesus and his apostles described things.

14 Of what benefit is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but he does not have works?+ That faith cannot save him, can it?+ 15 If any brothers or sisters are lacking clothing* and enough food for the day, 16 yet one of you says to them, “Go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but you do not give them what they need for their body, of what benefit is it?+ 17 So, too, faith by itself, without works, is dead.+ From 2 Timothy.

If we look back at the history in the Bible of those that were not of the faithful ones were saved when millions were wiped out you many see a parallel with what is in store for mankind in the near future.

At the time of the world flood some estimates put the world population at between 750 million and 3 billion people. The Bible does not say how many there were it only described the decadence of those times and the faithful family of Noah. However, the point is that only Noah and his family survived because they had the Truth and obeyed God's laws. The rest of the world population was destroyed and they will have no resurrection or hope for everlasting life on the coming Paradise Earth.

God did not allow for some that may have thought they were believers in the almighty God and Creator, He knew their hearts and found that all were wicked.

Look at the way Jehovah protected the Israelites against massive odds when armies tried to destroy the Chosen Race. It was only those that were faithful to God's Laws that were protected.

Sodom and Gomorrah is another example where Lot pleaded with God to allow him to find an ever decreasing number of "Good" people and Lot could find none. The cities were totally destroyed and the wicked ones therein. Even Lot's wife disobeyed God and died.

Jehovah wiped out thousands of Egyptians in the sea as they tried to catch the departing Israelites.

And eventually, with the Jews not following God's Laws, God sent his promised ransom sacrifice to die for the sins of all men, of course, we have to earn that offering, it is not automatic that everyone in now sinless, we are all sinners but many have the opportunity to become a faithful servant of Jehovah and seek dedication to Him and serve him earnestly as a Christian.

The Bible clearly describes what it is to be Christian, and it condemns the world of Christendom, all false religion. Things that seem to be common in these end times like man loving money instead of God, Immorality such as homosexuality and sex outside proper marriage. God hates liars and the Churches are promoted by liars and lies by those who are the hard workers for Satan as he blinds the mind of the world population.

It is all there in the "Workshop Manual for Christians", The Holy Bible, as Jehovah has caused the writings and He is the God of truth alone.
I hadn't answered to this because I agree with all you've said.
I would like to ask why you use the name Jehovah for God or Yahweh.
Is there a particular reason?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
There is only one definition, so different definitions will always clash.
This is very true.
But how many times have I read two persons saying the same exact thing and yet they think they're disagreeing with each other.

I think spiritual language is not easy to understand.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Clever perhaps, but I would say that he knew more about God than most of those in the churches which he would not join. Those who studied our 16th President will have found many flaws in him, but for me with all the flaws and errors he would rank as our 1st President, if you understand my meaning.

I believe you don't know the real Lincoln.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why?
I've never thought of him that way.

Most don't. I'm sure you thought of what you heard. And what is always heard, is the Norths side. To the victor goes the spoils, and writing of history.

But I don't want to get flagged here for disrupting the topic. I think I have another somewhere it can be discussed. I will get back with you.

P.S. There is a thread in the 'Current Events and Politics' that I had started awhile back called 'Secession should be considered and Allowed'. I will post something there.

Stranger

Last edited:
Reactions: GodsGrace

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe you don't know the real Lincoln.

Stranger
Considering that he died about 150 years ago, I am sure that I don't. However, in the one example that I cited I must agree with him which puts me on his side at the moment.

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Why?
I've never thought of him that way.
he was a great dictator, God is not in democracies anyway, obviously. The man was a type for Kennedy, they both wanted nothing but what was best for the country. Lincoln's Greenbacks caused a renaissance in america, and Stranger's banker friends assassinated him, after openly threatening him in European newspapers with civil war, and pulled Greenbacks like the day after the assassination, first thing iow. They thought he was a "dictator" too lol

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He was Americas first dictator.

Stranger
There is probably little doubt that Lincoln set aside the law of man to advance his own beliefs in places, but that still has little to do with the point which I brought up about him.

However, on your point, sometimes it might take a good dictator to get some good things done. I am hardly in favor of democracy as we see it today in these United States when it sets aside too much and too often the greater good. What is needed is God at the wheel, but when has He ever in that sense been at the wheel?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
There is probably little doubt that Lincoln set aside the law of man to advance his own beliefs in places, but that still has little to do with the point which I brought up about him.

However, on your point, sometimes it might take a good dictator to get some good things done. I am hardly in favor of democracy as we see it today in these United States when it sets aside too much and too often the greater good. What is needed is God at the wheel, but when has He ever in that sense been at the wheel?
a dictatorship/king is far and away the best vehicle for God to express His will for a nation, and this is not even argued in learned circles imo. God assigned a king to the unfaithful Israelites, and "democracy" is like insurance, a way to insulate oneself from God imo. Crowds can be "worked"/manipulated; wise kings, not so much. Responsibility cannot be denied like in a democracy, and etc.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
a dictatorship/king is far and away the best vehicle for God to express His will for a nation, and this is not even argued in learned circles imo. God assigned a king to the unfaithful Israelites, and "democracy" is like insurance, a way to insulate oneself from God imo. Crowds can be "worked"/manipulated; wise kings, not so much. Responsibility cannot be denied like in a democracy, and etc.
Man got what he thought he wanted when King Saul was given rule. God wanted them to seek Him and to worship and to acknowledge Him alone as their King, but they had to learn the hard way so God gave them a king.

Someone thought that democracy would be better with each person being able to do what he wanted. The problem is that everyone doesn't want the same things and those in the minority are likely to get stepped on very hard as the will of the ruling majority works to accomplish its perfect will.

What was that Jesus said?
"...nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." Matt 26:39

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Man got what he thought he wanted when King Saul was given rule. God wanted them to seek Him and to worship and to acknowledge Him alone as their King, but they had to learn the hard way so God gave them a king.

Someone thought that democracy would be better with each person being able to do what he wanted. The problem is that everyone doesn't want the same things and those in the minority are likely to get stepped on very hard as the will of the ruling majority works to accomplish its perfect will.

What was that Jesus said?
"...nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." Matt 26:39
nice! I will say that democracy is oppression, which leads to suffering, which purifies, so evil works for good there anyway; and also that democracy allows for Anarchy (Anabaptists, etc), and fwiw i never got so much respect from a cop as when i began living that out, Lawful Anarchy.

Reactions: amadeus