What Is A Christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marakorpa

Aug 26, 2017
Coffs Harbour NSW
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I hadn't answered to this because I agree with all you've said.
I would like to ask why you use the name Jehovah for God or Yahweh.
Is there a particular reason?

I do use the name Jehovah because that is the accepted name for the one and only God. There are many gods and lords mentioned in the Bible , Satan is the god of this world, would you like to mix Jehovah up with Satan?

This is from [removed] and this is a very informative site for you to have answers to your questions. There is no indoctrination, so don't worry. You do not have to promise ten percent of your total income, or say a few ritualized chants. It is free to all.

The Divine Name—Its Use and Its Meaning

IN YOUR copy of the Bible, how is Psalm 83:18 translated? The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures renders this verse: “May people know that you, whose name is Jehovah, you alone are the Most High over all the earth.” A number of other Bible translations give similar renderings. However, many translations leave out the name Jehovah, replacing it with such titles as “Lord” or “Eternal.” What belongs in this verse? A title or the name Jehovah?

God’s name in Hebrew letters

This verse speaks about a name. In the original Hebrew in which much of the Bible was written, a unique personal name appears here. It is spelled יהוה (YHWH) in Hebrew letters. In English, the common rendering of that name is “Jehovah.” Does that name occur in only one Bible verse? No. It appears in the original text of the Hebrew Scriptures nearly 7,000 times! (end quote)

Many people struggle with using God's personal name, even if ti is not the exact pronunciation of the Hebrew letters and yet they accept the name Jesus without any trouble. Had you been around in Jesus times and called out "Jesus" he may not have recognized the words, as In Bible times, the name Jesus may have been pronounced Yeshua or possibly Yehoshua

—no one can say for certain.

Marakorpa

Aug 26, 2017
Coffs Harbour NSW
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes I did.
I gave it a like.
And the point was that God, Jehovah has always selected only one group to care for while they follow his commands. In these days they would be the true Christians. So have a look around and see if you can find a group of people that are following God's commands to the best of their ability.

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And the point was that God, Jehovah has always selected only one group to care for while they follow his commands. In these days they would be the true Christians. So have a look around and see if you can find a group of people that are following God's commands to the best of their ability.

*Looks around*

The Mormons. ;)

Reactions: bbyrd009

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only those with the "eyes to see" can discern the ones who are real from the ones who are perhaps even unbeknownst to themselves are playing deadly game among the blind.

God can see and His people can see, but how can anyone who is not among them recognize them? I believe that I have "eyes to see" and the ones who also have such eyes are not found only in any one group, no matter what any group may say on this point. Of even those with "eyes to see" for the most part unless they have already attained the "face to face" are seeing "as through a glass darkly".

Reactions: pia

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since when does this site allow links to nonChristian websites that teach other doctrines?

Marakorpa

Aug 26, 2017
Coffs Harbour NSW
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
*Looks around*

The Mormons. ;)
The Mormons celebrate Xmas, which to start with is not the date of Jesus birth. Xmas if from pagan mythology and is hidden in may church traditions.
They also have an Easter celebration. The word Easter is from the name of a pagan goddess.
They treat Jesus as God, which is wrong as he is the Son of God.

I do not know much more about the Mormons but that alone is enough to exclude them as true Christians,

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are referring to my use [removed] please explain where they are non-Christian,

Seriously? You really do not know why the JW organization is rejected by the majority of churches within orthodox Christianity? Why the JW organization is considered a cult, which misleads people by rewriting scripture, teaching false prophesies, and confusing Jesus Christ with The archangel Michael? Really?

You reject the Trinity, a doctrine that is recognized as orthodox by this messageboard and you wonder why your doctrine is rejected as Christian?

Hard to believe

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Mormons celebrate Xmas, which to start with is not the date of Jesus birth. Xmas if from pagan mythology and is hidden in may church traditions.
They also have an Easter celebration. The word Easter is from the name of a pagan goddess.

I do not know much more about the Mormons but that alone is enough to exclude them as true Christians,

But, they wear holy underwear. :)

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
JWs believe that Jesus is a created being which is not a Christian belief. They do not believe that Jesus was crucified on the cross. Another Christian belief. They do not believe in hell. The NWT intentionally changes the rendering of biblical text to conform to JW theology.
JWs cannot be followers of Christ [Christian] if they do not believe that Jesus is the son of God and is God. A Christian is a believer and follower of Jesus Christ. If you are none of those things then you are in the wrong section my friend. o_O

Reactions: GodsGrace and aspen

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems to me that we're loosing sight of what a Christian is.

Can anyone that believes in God call themselves a Christian?

No, otherwise we might as well call demons Christians, since they believe in God as well.

Does one have to believe in Jesus?

I'm sure there is more to it than just believing. There is also this thing called repentance.

Are there any specific doctrine one MUST believe in?

That Jesus is the word made flesh sent to reconcile his creation to the Father through his death and Resurrection for the remission of sins and our future redemption, which includes the whole of creation.

Are we supposed to behave in any particular way?

Yes, not behaving like the worldly, which is easier said than done.

Are we supposed to do anything particular?

Apart from the great commission? Well.....going by what Jesus said, we are to love God with every fiber of our being and our neighbor as we would ourselves, for in these two commandments fulfill all the law, which is written in the hearts of the saved. Of course there is more, but I think this about answers the question.

Reactions: GodsGrace

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I do use the name Jehovah because that is the accepted name for the one and only God. There are many gods and lords mentioned in the Bible , Satan is the god of this world, would you like to mix Jehovah up with Satan?

This is from [removed] and this is a very informative site for you to have answers to your questions. There is no indoctrination, so don't worry. You do not have to promise ten percent of your total income, or say a few ritualized chants. It is free to all.

The Divine Name—Its Use and Its Meaning

IN YOUR copy of the Bible, how is Psalm 83:18 translated? The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures renders this verse: “May people know that you, whose name is Jehovah, you alone are the Most High over all the earth.” A number of other Bible translations give similar renderings. However, many translations leave out the name Jehovah, replacing it with such titles as “Lord” or “Eternal.” What belongs in this verse? A title or the name Jehovah?

God’s name in Hebrew letters

This verse speaks about a name. In the original Hebrew in which much of the Bible was written, a unique personal name appears here. It is spelled יהוה (YHWH) in Hebrew letters. In English, the common rendering of that name is “Jehovah.” Does that name occur in only one Bible verse? No. It appears in the original text of the Hebrew Scriptures nearly 7,000 times! (end quote)

Many people struggle with using God's personal name, even if ti is not the exact pronunciation of the Hebrew letters and yet they accept the name Jesus without any trouble. Had you been around in Jesus times and called out "Jesus" he may not have recognized the words, as In Bible times, the name Jesus may have been pronounced Yeshua or possibly Yehoshua

—no one can say for certain.
Yehoshua sounds right.
In my NASB Psalm 83:18 has the word LORD. In caps. That means Yahweh. God Almighty.

You spelled "LORD" with small letters, Lord. That would be Jesus, Yeshua or Yehoshua. So no, Psalm 83 is not Lord, it is LORD.

As far as looking around, yes, I know what you mean. I had good friends that had been JW's years ago. Now they come to my door and I've made friends with a nice couple -- husband and wife, from the Netherlands. We make tea and talk. We don't try to prostelitize since we've found that it's useless. We appreciate each other for what we know and for trying to live for God. And they certainly "look" more like God-worshippers than most Christians.

But I do want to ask you if, in your opinion, JW's are Christian.
If so, what makes them be Christian if they don't believe that Jesus is God and the way they explain Him being the Son of God does not satisfy.

Reactions: Truth

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Only those with the "eyes to see" can discern the ones who are real from the ones who are perhaps even unbeknownst to themselves are playing deadly game among the blind.

God can see and His people can see, but how can anyone who is not among them recognize them? I believe that I have "eyes to see" and the ones who also have such eyes are not found only in any one group, no matter what any group may say on this point. Of even those with "eyes to see" for the most part unless they have already attained the "face to face" are seeing "as through a glass darkly".
Here where I live the JW's are very much respected. My friends say that we Christians should only act as well as they do.

They dress modestly and go to their service and teach their children to be polite. Their children to not participate in Halloween traditions as kids here do.

You may say that these are external factors and Jesus desires an internal change. I agree. But shouldn't that internal change be manifested externally? Parents that call themselves Christian and dress up their girls as witches are not really glorifying God, are they? Here we have the Catholic church,,,it does not even speak to this.

Reactions: bbyrd009

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

Why take the word Christ out of Christmas?
We celebrate the birth, who can know for sure when Jesus was born?
Probably September. I don't really undersand the difference. The Christians of the time were trying to eliminate pagan holidays to concentrate of Christian ideals; I really don't see anything wrong with this.

As far as your last sentence, you say:

I do not know much more about the Mormons but that alone is enough to exclude them as true Christians

Why does their treating Jesus as God EXCLUDE them as being true Christians? This is precisely what makes a Christian.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
No, otherwise we might as well call demons Christians, since they believe in God as well.

I'm sure there is more to it than just believing. There is also this thing called repentance.

That Jesus is the word made flesh sent to reconcile his creation to the Father through his death and Resurrection for the remission of sins and our future redemption, which includes the whole of creation.

Yes, not behaving like the worldly, which is easier said than done.

Apart from the great commission? Well.....going by what Jesus said, we are to love God with every fiber of our being and our neighbor as we would ourselves, for in these two commandments fulfill all the law, which is written in the hearts of the saved. Of course there is more, but I think this about answers the question.
Well said.
I like that you added that Jesus will redeem all of creation.
We forget this at times.
Romans 8:19-22

Last edited:
Reactions: Dcopymope

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You are equating yourself with God. You believe you have "eyes to see" and can "discern the ones who are real..."

In 1Kings 8: 38.... whatever prayer, whatever supplication is made by anyone, or by all Your people Israel, when each one knows the plague of his own heart, and spreads out his hands toward this temple: 39. then hear in heaven Your dwelling place, and forgive, and act, and give to everyone according to all his ways, whose heart You know (for You alone know the hearts of all the sons of men), 40. that they may fear You all the days that they live in the land which You gave to our fathers."

God's people see through a glass darkly until they are physically dead.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Many people struggle with using God's personal name, even if ti is not the exact pronunciation of the Hebrew letters
i read an article about a guy pronouncing the Hebrew letters through amplification, and causing their likeness to manifest in sand, pretty interesting. I think it was soulsofdistortion.nl, can't find it in a brief search now though.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
and yet they are pretty uniformly great, loving people imo. So you would dispute their holidays, and maybe overlook the part that matters there.