What is Apostolic Tradition?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is Apostolic Tradition?

From the website Catholic Answers.

"Is Scripture the sole rule of faith for Christians? Not according to the Bible. While we must guard against merely human tradition, the Bible contains numerous references to the necessity of clinging to apostolic tradition."

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Catholic Church essentially believes that Jesus and the apostles failed to give humanity all of the information necessary for salvation. They used to teach that salvation could only be achieved by being a member of their organization, in contradiction to what Jesus told us.

Paul told us that the scriptures are sufficient for the man of God to be complete but, obviously, the Catholic Church disagrees. Paul also told us that we can use the scriptures to correct erroneous teachings.

2Tim. 3 Verses 16 to 17
[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: [17] That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Catholics (I was one for 50 years, prior to picking up a Bible) should chew on this and think carefully.

Galatians 1:8-12 NKJV
But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed.

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From my (Catholic) understanding, Apostolic Tradition, in a nutshell, has to do with the Apostles "handing down" their learnings from Jesus to others.

As an example, at the Last Supper, Jesus broke the bread (I'm paraphrasing), gave the blessing and said, "...do this in memory of me." In Acts, the Apostles came together several times to "break bread" while rejoicing in the Resurrection. Some Christan sects do this once in a while. Others do it daily.

Another Apostolic Tradition might be, that the Apostles went from place to place, orally teaching the "Good News." People have continued to do that for the past 2000+ years.

All in all, it pretty much has to do with mimicking what the Apostles did.

Reactions: Patrick1966