What is dogma?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you. I think I understand what you believe.

You believe that Christianity, after the death of Christ, started out as an oral tradition about Jesus and then turned into a written tradition about Him. Upon the "autographs being published" (27 books of the NT) they took place of the oral traditions.

No where in Scripture does it say the 1st century Christians are to STOP holding fast to the oral traditions they were taught and only hold fast to the written word!!

Since there were 24 books written 30-50 years AFTER 2 Thessalonians wouldn't the Apostles, before they died, have written a command telling all Christians to stop relying on oral tradition and only rely on the written letters from them?

Mary

Acts 2:42 doctrine of the apostles (plural) but all did not write

DaChaser

Sep 10, 2020
Macomb Michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matt 28:19 I am with you (the apostles) until the end

nations still need to be taught, disciples still need to be baptized
If there are no apostles there’s no covenant no church and no salvation
The true church of Christ is NOT Rome, and we have the foundation of the Apostles already laid in for theology!

DaChaser

Sep 10, 2020
Macomb Michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the HS leads the apostles into all truth and they teach us. Acts 8 Jn 16:13

We must be taught by Peter, the apostles, and their successors! Matt 28:19 Jn 21:17

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Lk 1:4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

Acts 8:30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?

31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 16:13
Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20
The True Church of Jesus is NOT Rome, as it was in history created at pentacost, way before Rome!

DaChaser

Sep 10, 2020
Macomb Michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You believe that Christianity, after the death of Christ, started out as an oral tradition about Jesus and then turned into a written tradition about Him. Upon the "autographs being published" (27 books of the NT) they took place of the oral traditions.

No where in Scripture does it say the 1st century Christians are to STOP holding fast to the oral traditions they were taught and only hold fast to the written word!!

James, 1 Thessalonians and possibly Galatians were written BEFORE 2 Thessalonians. What written traditions in those 3 books where the 1st Century Christians being told to hold fast to?

Since there were 24 books written 30-50 years AFTER 2 Thessalonians wouldn't the Apostles, before they died, have written a command telling all Christians to stop relying on oral tradition and only rely on the written letters from them?

Mary
There is NO authority apart from inspired scriptures...

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The True Church of Jesus is NOT Rome, as it was in history created at pentacost, way before Rome!
Rome is just a city the head of the church is Christ built on the prophets of the OT and apostles eph 2:20

God always establishes order in obedience to hierarchical authority!

The angelic order!
The church order!
The family order!
The civil order!

All require obedience to hierarchical authority!

The church is not a democracy but a kingdom!

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

James, 1 Thessalonians and possibly Galatians were written BEFORE 2 Thessalonians. What written traditions in those 3 books where the 1st Century Christians being told to hold fast to?

Mary
Yes, you are correct, but they are one and the same. The 1st century Apostles spread the Word orally, but simultaneously, it was being written down. So yes, chronologically, one did not necessarily precede the other in its entirety, but both occurred during the same period, up until the end of the 1st century. One does not contradict the other. But, what proceeded after the death of the Apostles and the writing of the Book of Revelation (last letter written), I don't believe has apostolic authority. It becomes much too subjective, unregulated, and conflicting/chaotic at this point.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, you are correct, but they are one and the same. The 1st century Apostles spread the Word orally, but simultaneously, it was being written down. So yes, chronologically, one did not necessarily precede the other in its entirety, but both occurred during the same period, up until the end of the 1st century. One does not contradict the other. But, what proceeded after the death of the Apostles and the writing of the Book of Revelation (last letter written), I don't believe has apostolic authority. It becomes much too subjective, unregulated, and conflicting/chaotic at this point.

that’s not what Jesus and the Bible say matt 28:19 I am with you (the church the apostles) until the end

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those so called traditions were oral doctrines that were approved by the Apostles, but none living today!
I don't understand what you are saying. What is not "living today"?

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
that’s not what Jesus and the Bible say matt 28:19 I am with you (the church the apostles) until the end
Not to give infallibility to his adherents, nor to offer new doctrines and dogma. But, to support, enlighten and edify his elect, with understanding of the pre-established God-ordained, Christian dogma, that ended after the 1st century.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hold on.....are you saying Revelation should not considered inspired Scripture?

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That is not an answer to a very direct question.....:cool:
Mama Mia, yes it was. I said after the first century, apostolic authority ended. Therefore, since Revelation was written within the 1st century (90 ad), it has apostolic authority.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you DNB.

Soooo where does Scripture tell us to STOP holding fast to oral traditions and tell us to hold fast only to the words the Apostles wrote? I can't find it. :(