What is dogma?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, and He did not establish His authority in Rome, nor to a vicar of Christ, nor did God give any man infallibility via ex-cathedra, nor did He assume Mary into heaven. Nor did He ordain the intercession of the saints, transubstantiation, or Mary's immaculate conception, or indulgences, or the Crusades, ....
And you know all these things because YOU are infallible?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, and He did not establish His authority in Rome, nor to a vicar of Christ, nor did God give any man infallibility via ex-cathedra, nor did He assume Mary into heaven. Nor did He ordain the intercession of the saints, transubstantiation, or Mary's immaculate conception, or indulgences, or the Crusades, ....

you forgot Mary is mother of God Lk 1:43
Or Mary’s perpetual virginity Is 7:14

And yes He did. Jn 16:13 all truth free from error
Acts 8 the HS guides the apostles

DaChaser

Sep 10, 2020
Macomb Michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen, as the "true Church" is made up of all of the saved and redeemed, regardless of their church name label!

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We know them because the BIBLE is infallible!
Hi DaChaser,

Scripture makes it clear there is sound doctrine! That means there is false doctrine! That means there is a false teacher teaching false doctrine and a true teacher teaching sound doctrine.

Sooooooo who are/is the infallible person(s) that properly interprets that infallible bible to obtain the sound doctrine spoken of in Scripture which in return reveals the false teacher? Who do you rely on for sound doctrine?

Curious Mary

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
you forgot Mary is mother of God Lk 1:43
Or Mary’s perpetual virginity Is 7:14

And yes He did. Jn 16:13 all truth free from error
Acts 8 the HS guides the apostles
You've misread Scripture, profoundly so!

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Amen, as the "true Church" is made up of all of the saved and redeemed, regardless of their church name label!
yes, true, ...and regardless of their size, money, or antiquity.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, because I read the Bible, and only accept Sola Scriptura, ....and not the inclusion of tradition.
Good Morning DNB,

Hmmmmm......if you accept sola Scriptura why don't you accept 2 Thessalonians 2:15?: Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

Can you show me in Scripture where Christians are told to STOP holding fast to traditions? ?

Curious Mary

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Good Morning DNB,

Hmmmmm......if you accept sola Scriptura why don't you accept 2 Thessalonians 2:15?: Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

Can you show me in Scripture where Christians are told to STOP holding fast to traditions? ?

Curious Mary
Good point, but, there was an oral tradition amongst the apostles and disciples of Christ, prior to the autographs being published, or in the early dissemination period. I believe that this was the tradition that is being referred to in 2 Thessalonians 2:15. But since the time of the canonization of Scripture (400ad +-), we, rather prudently, do not accept testimonies or precepts that do not align with the Bible as we know it today (39 OT books, 27 NT books).

DaChaser

Sep 10, 2020
Macomb Michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi DaChaser,

Scripture makes it clear there is sound doctrine! That means there is false doctrine! That means there is a false teacher teaching false doctrine and a true teacher teaching sound doctrine.

Sooooooo who are/is the infallible person(s) that properly interprets that infallible bible to obtain the sound doctrine spoken of in Scripture which in return reveals the false teacher? Who do you rely on for sound doctrine?

Curious Mary
The scriptures, and the illumination of the Holy Spirit!

DaChaser

Sep 10, 2020
Macomb Michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good Morning DNB,

Curious Mary
Those so called traditions were oral doctrines that were approved by the Apostles, but none living today!

DaChaser

Sep 10, 2020
Macomb Michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good point, but, there was an oral tradition amongst the apostles and disciples of Christ, prior to the autographs being published, or in the early dissemination period. I believe that this was the tradition that is being referred to in 2 Thessalonians 2:15. But since the time of the canonization of Scripture (400ad +-), we, rather prudently, do not accept testimonies or precepts that do not align with the Bible as we know it today (39 OT books, 27 NT books).
The Apostles themselves had the authority behind them of the Lord Jesus to accept them as true, but none today cam!

Reactions: DNB

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The last Apostle was Paul, and the last living one was John!

Matt 28:19 I am with you (the apostles) until the end

nations still need to be taught, disciples still need to be baptized
If there are no apostles there’s no covenant no church and no salvation

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, because I read the Bible, and only accept Sola Scriptura, ....and not the inclusion of tradition.

where does the Bible say you can read the Bible and make your own faith eph 4:5 one Lord on faith one baptism

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The scriptures, and the illumination of the Holy Spirit!

the HS leads the apostles into all truth and they teach us. Acts 8 Jn 16:13

We must be taught by Peter, the apostles, and their successors! Matt 28:19 Jn 21:17

Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

Lk 1:4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

Acts 8:30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?

31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.

Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 16:13
Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you. I think I understand what you believe.

You believe that Christianity, after the death of Christ, started out as an oral tradition about Jesus and then turned into a written tradition about Him. Upon the "autographs being published" (27 books of the NT) they took place of the oral traditions.

No where in Scripture does it say the 1st century Christians are to STOP holding fast to the oral traditions they were taught and only hold fast to the written word!!

James, 1 Thessalonians and possibly Galatians were written BEFORE 2 Thessalonians. What written traditions in those 3 books where the 1st Century Christians being told to hold fast to?

Since there were 24 books written 30-50 years AFTER 2 Thessalonians wouldn't the Apostles, before they died, have written a command telling all Christians to stop relying on oral tradition and only rely on the written letters from them?

Mary

Last edited: